It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torture. Would you break? Could anyone withstand?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
There is always speculation about SHTF scenarios. But one thing in my searches that I didn't see was the speculation of surviving torture. You have a limited stock of supplies. Your friends, your family depends on it to survive.
A rival group captures you. They want your supplies.

This isn't a war. This isn't politics. This isn't about ideology.

This is about real and true survival.

Would you break?

Thanks for your replies.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Kill me why I am killing you is the way I see it. I aint telling you nathin

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
it depends on your pain threshold, and on the morality of the people who are trying to torture you,

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

For the most part, torture is conducted when needing to find out information. (Like where's the food stashed)

If you want my advice, hold out for as long as you can before telling them anything, because the way torture works is - they might be hungry, but they also want to hurt you a little. You'll most likely be killed if you spill the beans before a good two minutes has passed.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Naw but to further ad if my supplies were needed to feed the family then itsa rap for me because they still may kill you after you gave them data. So why give em anything let em torture you to death and reawaken. Atleast you aint sell your loved ones out.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
i can take anything but listening to obama and pelsoi speak

thats my achilles heel.

good thing they will both be locked up underground somewhere while the reast of suffer and die.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If they have caught you and your loved ones all they have to do is threaten the ones you love to give up whatever info they after, life aint like the movies and no ones that tough, whoever you are you will tell rather than see them suffer, mental pain beats physical pain any day of the week.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Swanseadog

didnt say your family was caught as well in thread op just you?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I cannot answer this honestly. I would hope that if my familys well being was at stake, that I would endure any thing they threw at me. But I have not been tortured before so I can not attest to what would occur.
I know that I would last until the end if its true that your mind doesn't allow your body to feel pain if its too unbearable.

Anyone know if thats true? If the pain is unbearable, your mind will not allow you to feel it?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swanseadog
reply to post by beezzer

If they have caught you and your loved ones all they have to do is threaten the ones you love to give up whatever info they after, life aint like the movies and no ones that tough, whoever you are you will tell rather than see them suffer, mental pain beats physical pain any day of the week.

Exactly! When I was young and single I wouldn't have broken very easily if at all. Now I have a wife & kids, it's a game changer. S.E.R.E

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by Swanseadog

didnt say your family was caught as well in thread op just you?

Just me.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I'd hold out for as long as I could, but since I've never been tortured, who's to say how long that actually is?

Thanks for all the replies.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by blend57
Anyone know if thats true? If the pain is unbearable, your mind will not allow you to feel it?

I think you just black out from endorphin overload depending on haw fast you produce them.... So the Pain may be there but it can be used as a memory imprint on your soul if your a vengeful spirit...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
No matter how tough you are everyone has a breaking point physically or mentally. You may withstand certain things but if someone is persistant you will eventually fail.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

No one. And I mean no one can resist torture forever. It is only a matter of time before someone breaks down.

That being said, time is a key factor in torture. If a torturer has a time constraint, then his chances of pulling information within that time constraint limits what he can do. The torturer faces the chance of killing his victim, or causing brain damage where the information is irretrievable. So the victim has a chance to resist long enough to where the information is useless.

But, if that torturer has no time constraints, then sorry. There is zero-percent chance of any person resisting torture forever. Also, if the torturer runs out of time, then he can do whatever to the victim for however long he wants. Either way, no one can resist torture forever.

Physical, mental and chemical, are just a few methods torture uses. Scary thought.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Sadly, I have had a great deal of experience when it comes to being tortured and let me tell all of you that no matter how tough you think you are, you will never be tough enough to survive if the persons torturing you know their stuff. I was lucky, I was tortured as a way of conditioning me to do things that I didn't want to do rather than for information (for the most part) and as such I just had to survive long enough to be able to convince my torturers that I really meant it when I said that I'd do anything they wanted.

On a brighter note, I have very few physical scars considering what they put me through and I was lucky enough to miss out on the Chelsea smile that they kept threatening to give me...though I wouldn't have been worth as much to them if they'd made too much of a mess of me. My only regret is not being able to take a shower without having flashbacks and I can't submerge myself fully in water either.

I wouldn't wish what I've been through on anyone...though it would be funny to see how long some of the ATS "hard-men" last. Does that make me a sicko?

Rev

edit on 6/6/2011 by revmoofoo because: To edit.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Genghis Khan, nothwithstanding his well-deserved reputation for heavy-handedness, was keenly interested in different spiritual paths, and after he conquered China he ordered that the famed Taost sage Ch'ang Ch'un be brought before him. This elderly recluse wanted nothing to do with Genghis, wishing only to wander in nature, but in the end he wanted to be tortured even less, so he showed up at the Mongol court.

Genghis actually was quite impressed by the Taoist hermit. He made him a high minister, and there are a number of interesting stories of their conversations. Nevertheless, Ch'ang Ch'un repeatedly begged to be allowed to return to his wilderness shack. Genghis could not comprehend this, and attempted to shower wealth, titles, all the trappings on the old man.

Ch'ang Ch'un refused humbly and Genghis grew angry at him. "I could torture you and make you do my bidding," he said. "Do you think you could hold out?"
"Of course not," said the sage. "I'd fold immediately."
"Then of what value are you as a man?"
"It's easy for a man to shatter a mirror but that doesn't mean a mirror is valueless."

To that Genghis had nothing to say and let the old man go without torturing him. Ch'ang Ch'un never got to return to his beloved countryside -- Genghis wanted him around as an advisor in a pinch -- but Genghis sectoned off one of the largest and most sumptuous parks in the capital city and allowed the hermit to live there alone, undisturbed, for the rest of his life.

edit on 6/6/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I wonder what alot of people picture when they picture torture.

I don't even want to get gory here, but in real life criminal torture situations, it usually goes very quick... shooting or chopping off fingers, hands, feet, limbs, nose, eyelids. Very gruesome electrocution, hot oil, molten metal,Hot poker everywhere including eyes. . If anyone's determined to torture, they are going to do it effectively. Think of people who disappear in Juarez, Sri Lanka, the Philippines.
I know it's fun to be bold, but they have ways of making you speak. The idea of willpower is a funny self-comforting idea in their eyes. I am pretty sure an accountant and a hard trained soldier would come apart at the same time.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Perhaps, in a SHTF scenario, thoughts like these need to be explored. Especially when it comes to food, ammo etc.

I remember a Heinlein book about a character who is captured by the enemy. She immediately provides any and all info knowing that as soon as she was captured, they'd change location regardless.

Just a survival thought!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I think people need to take a look at some of the Spanish Inquisition techniques and then decide just how tough they think they are ... Present day Western civilization is tame in comparison and the techniques not as theatrical, but they will do the job. IMHO, everyone will break at some point and if you really have someone to protect or something to hide, your best move is to find a way out, before you do break.
edit on 6-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join