It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California`s June Oddity

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I am sitting here freezing in No Cal right now. Its 59 degrees here right now. This is definitely winter weather not summer weather. No this is not normal. Where I live, if you don't have A.C. this time of year, you are just miserable. Yet people are using their heaters and wood stoves right now.

This is going to affect the food supply and prices. I have been waiting a while to plant my garden I have some cucumber, zuchini and tomato plants hanging out inside the house just waiting for the weather to clear up. Not to mention all my seeds. I a hopping for a late fall.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

If im not mistaken, Winter weather may be below 40 degrees, because when its 60 degrees that's just hoodie weather, well in my area anyway, we embrace that kind of thing, Id prefer 60 over 80 or 90 anytime.
Im not sure if this has to do with global warming or climate change or haarp or even the silver iodide they spray over our skies, no matter what the reason, i think we can all agree that something fishy might be going on, if not, then hey its something that intrigues me and im happy with the conversation no matter what way it goes.
Respect.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
reply to post by calstorm

If im not mistaken, Winter weather may be below 40 degrees, because when its 60 degrees that's just hoodie weather, well in my area anyway, we embrace that kind of thing, Id prefer 60 over 80 or 90 anytime.
Im not sure if this has to do with global warming or climate change or haarp or even the silver iodide they spray over our skies, no matter what the reason, i think we can all agree that something fishy might be going on, if not, then hey its something that intrigues me and im happy with the conversation no matter what way it goes.
Respect.

Over here in Cal, winter weather is between 40F to 65F. Usually(but not always) closer to the 60F end.
Summer weather is anywhere between 78F and 100F -ish
edit on 6/4/11 by QuantumPhysicist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I have lived here all my life. While a week or so of cool, cloudy weather is not unusual in June, a whole month of wet in May and now into June is rather rare. The woodstoves are still burning, although it is not awfully cold. At least the late frosts have ceased.

I for one don't mind it at all, although I like the average temps of 90-100° by this time of year, the fact that I don't need to irrigate my five acres yet is fine with me. Two summers ago we were being faced with a 75% cut in our water rights after years of drought, now there is no restrictions and its nice to not be out there turning on valves or worrying about my gardens.

Last time I heard we are at 194% of average rainfall for the season, with an even higher percentage of snow pack in the mountains. It is yet to be seen if this will cause flooding as the summer progresses. I don't think it will be a problem for us up here.

Poor Chico/Durham area saw an F2 tornado last week, and we saw some excessive winds that had me worried for my fully leafed out trees, and lots of hail sent me scurrying to cover tender veggie plants, but all in all it's for the best and we'd better count our blessings.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
< snip >

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dae3b8782c12.gif[/atsimg]

I don't know about you but that is about the most awesome shaped storm I've seen in a long time. Thanks for the animation!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

I saw the low pressure off Calif. this morning, it doesn't
appear to be getting any less organized. Looks like
a hurricane developing.

As some places are cooler than normal here in
Indiana we are having a heat wave, temps higher
than we get even in late summer. Someone told
me it went to 99 degrees today, unconfirmed
but I know it was hot and humid, now we have
storms coming in.
edit on 4-6-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I will be interesting to see how this cold, wet spring will effect California's most profitable outdoor crop.
edit on 4-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
I will be interesting to see how this cold, wet spring will effect California's most profitable outdoor crop.

Which most valuable crop? The fruits and vegetables? Or california's other most valuable and celebrated crop

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumPhysicist

Which most valuable crop? The fruits and vegetables? Or california's other most valuable and celebrated crop

Well, it's hell on the almond and stone-fruit crops (peaches, plums,nectarines) but the 'other' crop should be just fine as long as there isn't much hail nor frost. < wink, wink >

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
In NorCal. Thursday it was Hailing penny size 46 degrees. Friday it was sunny and 65 degrees. Within 2 weeks we have had between 40-80 degree weather, large hail on 3 separate days, loud rolling thunder, white or dry lightning, heavy rain, moderate rain, tornado warnings....crazy. I do not remember seeing what Spring looked like. The kids started summer vacation and usually this time of year we are out on the lake swimming and boating.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by czygyny

Aye, it looks pretty cool to me too. Very uniform and stationary-ish. Btw apologies to reesie45, I totally butchered your username in my first reply, some sort of dyslexia in me must have temporarily emerged.

I know I'm going to sound a bit like George Noory here, but 2011 has been a crazy year so far weather wise, and California's has been no exception. I'm beginning to wonder if we will even have a real summer here this year at all. I know in the southern states, they are beginning to see things warm up but we are still waiting for it here.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumPhysicist

There really is no question. No other crop competes in terms of dollars generated for the California economy.

Some are predicting a very hot summer. Others are predicting more of the same cold wet conditions. If that is the case, that particular crop will be negatively effected.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that this cold, inclement weather will remain for much longer. If it does that, it will be a first in my 54 years of living in northern California. Once the typical high pressure ridge builds offshore it will be sunny skies and hot temps until October.

If it doesn't, then it will be a strange thing, indeed.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
hmmm...there are many others who are saying we are entering a mini iceage..
global warming or ice age..weather is messed up either way you look at it!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I get that many on ATS like to believe climate science is a 'hoax', but I encourage you to research the ACTUAL SCIENCE, and not pundit's interpretation of it and come to your OWN conclusion, not the conclusion someone else wants you to come to.
MEanwhile, we will continue to see these events unfold EXACTLY AS PREDICTED by climate scientists for years, all the while the deniers will blame jeebus and haaarp and everything else that applies no actual science.

"EXACTLY AS PREDICTED?"

You mean such as the Himalayan glaciers that won't be gone by 2035?

World misled over Himalayan glacier meltdown
( The IPCC has yet to explain how someone with no expertise on glaciers was overseeing such a report.)

Or the polar ice that didn't disappear in 2000?
Global warming grant-monger and alarmist Steven Schneider claimed the west Antarctic ice sheet could melt before the year 2000 and inundate American coastlines with up to 25 feet of sea level rise.
1979 NCAR Forecast : Sea Level May Rise 15-25 Feet Before The Year 2000

Or the "corrected" prediction of no polar ice by 2008?
Federally-funded AGW sponge Mark Serreze, of the US National Snow and Ice Data Center, predicted the complete loss of polar ice in 2008.
Exclusive: Scientists warn that there may be no ice at North Pole this summer

Of course, Serreze wasn't alone in his "prediction:"

Professor Peter Wadhams of Cambridge University, who was one of the first civilian scientists to sail underneath the Arctic sea ice in a Royal Navy submarine, said that the conditions are ripe for an unprecedented melting of the ice at the North Pole.

"Last year we saw huge areas of the ocean open up, which has never been experienced before. People are expecting this to continue this year and it is likely to extend over the North Pole. It is quite likely that the North Pole will be exposed this summer – it's not happened before," Professor Wadhams said.

www.independent.co.uk...[ /url]

(As it turns out, the Arctic Ocean contained 1.65 million square miles of sea ice at its 2008 minimum.)

These guys also predicted the cessation of the Gulf Stream and Atlantic Gyre, didn't they?
[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/

And, of course, there's the infamous CRU's David Viner's 2000 observation "snow is a thing of the past" that most Britons debunked for themsives over the last couple of years.
www.independent.co.uk...

Those are just a few of the "predictions" the prophets of AGW have made, that are as wrong as their models.

As with all programs, "garbage in, garbage out."

jw

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
According to accuweather.com, "the [San Francisco] airport broke its all-time June rainfall record..."

This weather is, by far, not normal. According to weather forecasts, it is going to be cloudy for the rest of next week as well.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

have we not taken steps since 1979 to prevent it? could it possibly be, even in the slightest, that we reversed some of the major issues like melting polar icecaps and we're just seeing the minor (though severe in some places) leftovers of climate change?

Just wondering.... I grew up in the 80s - its all anyone around me talked about, was doing as much as we could to protect the environment - 30 years later maybe some of our ideas worked? I have no doubt that climate change is a natural occurence, but I also have no doubt that we've helped speed up the process.

Your post reminds me of the whole Y2K fiasco - despite the radical claims of end of days prophecies that came along with it - there was a legitimate, genuine fear that computers would malfunction - they did not - but didn't we spend significant time prior, going back and correcting as much software as we could to prevent it? is it not at all possible that no airplanes fell out of the sky because it was fixed already?

as always, I'm an idiot - you're free to tell me I'm wrong - but it makes sense to me

meanwhile if anyone cares - I live in SE PA - we always had a rule in my house that air conditioners don't go into the windows until the first day of summer - mostly for money reasons - this year we had no choice - A/C went in the windows 2 weeks ago because temperatures were exceeding 95 degrees (as late as 10pm at night) - its very unusual

in contrast, it started raining 3 days ago and has barely gone above 70 since (currently 68 at 1 in the morning)

the weather is on crack

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Yep...I don't know about 'experts' and 'scientists' and their predictions and prognotisticating...but an aged white oak tree stump I happened along some years ago told a tale of cyclic wet and dry years for at least 200 years.

While our area experiences protracted droughts and then ample rain, this stump showed six or seven exeedingly rich, fat rings every half century or so, proving that perhaps what is going on right now is *not* the result of our meddling in the balance of nature, or a cosmic disruption but a normal cycle of wet and cool, hot and dry that has been going on for a long, long time---well before we were burning fossil fuels or pumping chemicals into the atmosphere.

Tree rings don't lie...but people with an agenda, do.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
It's definitely uncommon and unique. The weather channel keeps emphasizing how odd and strange it is. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
No the temperature is definetly going up world wide even if some specific locations get colder the overall temperature is rising. That's just a matter of taking temps around the world and you won't find a scientist who will debate that. It's just a fact.

Please, give me scientific data for temperatures from last 40000 years then.
You may provide stones with cline writings, even.
Only fact is, that Earth is dynamic, living being, and say thanks to Ford for bleeding it out.
Funny ecologists GO HOME.
edit on 5-6-2011 by potential_problem because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join