It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California`s June Oddity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

While systems like this are common in Northern and Central California from late fall through the winter and into early spring, they are very unusual this time of year. The end result will be periods of rain (locally heavy), high elevation snow in the Sierra Nevada and perhaps a few severe storms with hail, gusty winds and perhaps a tornado (particularly on Sunday).

SOURCE

Id like to hear from those who live in these areas and your opinions on if this is normal or not?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Lots of crazy weather now all around the place. Probably the global warming finally catching up to the weather patterns now but it's not a big deal.

People will just have to get used to new patterns of weather compared to what they are used to.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Yeah but now they are saying its climate change is there a difference between global warming and climate change? I heard that in some places its getting colder so instead of the earth warming its getting colder. everything is so distorted anymore.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

I live RIGHT in the middle of all that action lol. Yes, it's not normal weather. It is usually upper 80's and low 90's by the end may. I do find it strange, but we tend to have a lot of random, weird weather here. So i don't know. It's been raining on and off the past few weeks. I miss when it used to be warm clear skies by June. Three years ago, I would have been in shorts and a tank top right now with the A/C on blast

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumPhysicist

What is your current temp right now?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
reply to post by kro32

Yeah but now they are saying its climate change is there a difference between global warming and climate change? I heard that in some places its getting colder so instead of the earth warming its getting colder. everything is so distorted anymore.

Yes there is a difference between the two...and it's that global warming is a complete lie...

climate change on the other hand is something our earth will always be subject to due to the fact that the planet is always changing...plain and simple nature ma'am or sir

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

No the temperature is definetly going up world wide even if some specific locations get colder the overall temperature is rising. That's just a matter of taking temps around the world and you won't find a scientist who will debate that. It's just a fact.

The causes and future effects are debateable however and this is how the climate change plays in. Scientists don't really know what effect that drastically rising temps will have on weather so now it looks like this may be what is playing out.

Temps in the past have risen and fallen but if you do a bit of research you'll see charts showing that we are currently heating up faster, alot faster actually, than at any time in recorded history. Geologic recorded history mind you.

We were in normal cycles until the 1920's and since than the temp has gone pretty much straight up...way out of the ordinary so it's logical to expect that kind of increased warming to have some affect on weather patterns.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I live in Nortern Cali and around this time we usually have 90 degree+ weather. Right now it's June and I've onu seen about two weeks worth of sunny days in the past month, I'm usually floating down the river by now. Last week there were 8 tornados that touched down in Butte County. While I'm use to tornados since
from Dallas, this extremely uncommon weather for Chico, Ca. In fact it's raining right now and I have to wear a jacket. I can't complain though because my electric bill isn't sky high yet.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile

reply to post by kro32

Yes there is a difference between the two...and it's that global warming is a complete lie...

climate change on the other hand is something our earth will always be subject to due to the fact that the planet is always changing...plain and simple nature ma'am or sir

Global warming is a fact that can't be debated. The temperature is rising on a global scale and it's just a matter of taking temperatures. You may dispute the reasons or causes for it but you can't argue with factual data.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Simple to figure out really.
We are the New Washington, but we also get Oklahoma style tornadoes.!

The weather has been weird for a bit here, who knows ww3?
Maybe it is the Chinese or Russian HAARP.?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

so all that tampering of the scales and models and criterias to fit GW as seen by what became known as climategate, and forced the propaganda loudmouth people to drop GW and go back to a more unifying term to scare us all into goin green and pay carbon taxes, so those facts totally flew past you?

lol

you haven't been reading your memo's

that is nice to know

"Climate Change(insert copyright symbol here)", is just the correction, the political correct way to now say "Global Warming(insert dollars for al gore here)", since the fearmongering known as GW became too heated of a topic, too controversial and ridicularized, not to mention fabricated all the way through.

next time make sure to attend those debunking meeting and please read your memos

edit to add: sure that climate patterns have been changing, but i see it as natural processes, it's a normal chain of events the earth itself undergoes, there is plenty of evidence to support it happening in the past.

its only an issue now, because we are "modern" we are so "advanced" we are so not primitives, yet we are so dumb to build were we shouldnt, make nature conform to what we call urban planning, disrespect nature and then ask "why?" when nature show us whos in charge

we didn't bother to listen to anyone else, we spread through the land and did whatever we pleased.

there's two choices in this issue, adapt respect and learn to live with nature, or keep getting scared by nature power in retaking what is her's.

while getting screwed out of your money cause some will take any excuse to further profit

edit on 4/6/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I was just speaking to my sister who lives in Fairfield about this very same topic. Please see a few articles such as www.sciencedaily.com... She said that the Sierra snow pack is still very high and that she feels that this could be a very real danger. As far as global warming, after reading tonights thread about the Club of Rome, let's just say that I have my doubts.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
reply to post by kro32

so all that tampering of the scales and models and criterias to fit GW as seen by what became known as climategate, and forced the propaganda loudmouth people to drop GW and go back to a more unifying term to scare us all into goin green and pay carbon taxes, so those facts totally flew past you?

lol

you haven't been reading your memo's

that is nice to know

"Climate Change(insert copyright symbol here)", is just the correction, the political correct way to now say "Global Warming(insert dollars for al gore here)", since the fearmongering known as GW became too heated of a topic, too controversial and ridicularized, not to mention fabricated all the way through.

next time make sure to attend those debunking meeting and please read your memos

All I am speaking about is actual global temperature. Climate gate was filled with alot more other things I don't really care about. Global temperature has and is increasing at out of normal rates and this can be verified by scientists all over the world.

As I said before this is simply a scientific fact that cannot be debated. Climategate also dealt with reasons and causes which certainly can be debated and argued but I've seen the actual data myself that global temps are rising.

It is true we are coming out of an ice age but looking through the previous ice ages we are way above what normally happens.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

actually we are overdue for another ice age, not coming out of one.

and a global increase in temperatures is an indicator of an ice age, the poles melt, thus slowing down the oceanic currents, thus cooling the planet.

neat domino effect

and it makes me sad that proof to you is reading "peer reviewed" cliche data, but never questioning who funds and who capitalizes on those same studies.

in a court of law that would be considered "hearsay"

prove me you believe global temperatures have been rising by maybe stepping outside of the house everyday, for a change. not by saying you read it somewhere.

accept external views always yes, but think for yourself please.

if those data studies tell you to jump off a brigde, you probably won't question it, will you?

since it's been peer reviewed.

but hey this has gone slight offtopic, so im no longer gonna engage this argument and thread

let's agree to disagree

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

actually we are overdue for another ice age, not coming out of one.

and a global increase in temperatures is an indicator of an ice age, the poles melt, thus slowing down the oceanic currents, thus cooling the planet.

neat domino effect

and it makes me sad that proof to you is reading "peer reviewed" cliche data, but never questioning who funds and who capitalizes on those same studies.

in a court of law that would be considered "hearsay"

prove me you believe global temperatures have been rising by maybe stepping outside of the house everyday, for a change. not by saying you read it somewhere.

accept external views always yes, but think for yourself please.

if those data studies tell you to jump off a brigde, you probably won't question it, will you?

since it's been peer reviewed.

but hey this has gone slight offtopic, so im no longer gonna engage this argument and thread

let's agree to disagree

Might want to check your facts. Yes we are currently in an ice age. I would look up the specific name of it but am too lazy at the moment.

And what peer reviews are you talking about. I never said that. I personally know people that that monitor world temperature now and compare it to the core samples taken from greenland in order to contrast Co2 and temperatures throughout history compared to today's.

If you really want to dispute the fact that the global temperature is rising well there is not much I can do for you as you are going against actual facts and will believe what you want to I suppose.
edit on 4-6-2011 by kro32 because: added more

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hey ressie54, and all, well I live in the Bay in CA also but I can't really comment on whether or not this low pressure system is normal or common, but this one does seem fairly unique. I think temps are a bit lower on average in California so far this year but have not compared any actual data yet so for now it just seems a bit out of the ordinary. Oh, here's an updated animated image of the low pressure system happening now off the California coast.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dae3b8782c12.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

reply to post by QuantumPhysicist

What is your current temp right now?

Well it just finished raining like a half hour ago. The sun is finally peeking out. I'd say it's right around 60F

And as far as global warming goes-
I go to U.C Berkeley (currently working towards my Ph.D, so I've been here a while) and I have personally taken classes from some of the top professors whom study global warming. As a class, we've actually done the testing. We've measured gas levels in the atmosphere and compared it to other levels all around the world, and then graphed that data all in relation to "average regional temp". We've accumulated years of data, showing only an increase in temp wherever gas levels are high. And that's just one of the many numerous tests we've done. I can go on for hours. I can tell you first handedly that global warming is real. Nothing fake about it. It's simple to think that everyday, we spew millions of tons of co2 and other noxious gasses into the atmosphere from cars, industry, etc. Also imagine all the co2 breathed out from 7 billion people everyday. Those types of chemicals and gasses act as a heating blanket. They are trapping in the sun's radiation, thus creating hotter global temperatures. It's just a fact
edit on 6/4/11 by QuantumPhysicist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Its planet nibiru, and comet elenin, and its also pole reversal, and 2012. Figure it out. Oh i forgot, HAARP, and aliens. DUHHH.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Id like to hear from those who live in these areas and your opinions on if this is normal or not?

Depends what your parameters are for 'normal'. Heavy rainfall in California in the spring is not uncommon. This year is a particularly wet, cold La Nina pattern off of the Pacific.

In addition, climate scientists have been saying for DECADES that increases in the temperature of the climate will increase this sort of rainfall where more water falls all at once instead of spread out over a longer time.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but what you posted is nonsense. First of all, 'climate gate' is a handful of emails intentionally taken WAY out of context to serve an anti-regulatory political interest.

Secondly, 'climate change' is the terminology that has been used for YEARS because people like you routinely misinterpret the term 'global warming' to mean surface level weather will be uniformly warmer, which is a misnomer. "Climate Change' is terminology used by basically everyone around the world except popular media in the US. Attacking people for using the correct terminology only illustrates a superficial understanding of a complex and well researched subject.

I get that many on ATS like to believe climate science is a 'hoax', but I encourage you to research the ACTUAL SCIENCE, and not pundit's interpretation of it and come to your OWN conclusion, not the conclusion someone else wants you to come to.

MEanwhile, we will continue to see these events unfold EXACTLY AS PREDICTED by climate scientists for years, all the while the deniers will blame jeebus and haaarp and everything else that applies no actual science.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join