It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ governor : family earning 5317$ a year is too rich for medicaid

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
A crappy run down apartment or trailer will run you $500 per month easily depending on what part of the country you live in. To give you an idea...

A crappy One bedroom apartment in Wichita, Kansas cost me $550 per month.

A studio apartment in Yardley, Pennsylvania cost me $900 per month.

A very nice 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in Columbus, Ohio was costing me $900 per month.

A nice 2 bedroom, 1 and a half bath Townhouse in Burlington, North Carolina cost me $600 per month.

A fair 2 bedroom 1 Bath apartment in Spartanburg, South Carolina cost me $600 per month.

Right now in Louisiana I am paying $500 per month, and trust me you get what you pay for
I absolutely hate this place, but it is affordable.

So how is 5k per year too much money? Let us assume you pay $500 per month in rent. In one year you have spent more than your yearly income. 500 x 12= 6000. Thus far we have NOT included food, electric, gas (if your home requires it), or a phone.

Now if you live in a more rural area, such as I do now, where there is no public transportation other than a taxi cab (which is expensive) you will need a vehicle of some type. If you have a vehicle you are going to need gasoline, insurance, registration, and property taxes.

So if you make $5000 per year and it is costing you $600 per year to keep a roof over your head, how in the hell are you expect to foot the bill if you have a medical emergency?

I would love to see this NJ Governor live on 5k a year for just one year and then come back and tell me how much money it is!

I know many of our overseas friends here at ATS have a very delusional idea of what life in the USA is like. They think thigns are cheap and we all have so much. Many do not understand exactly what it is like. Many years ago there was a TV show on FX channel that was the creation of Morgan Spurlock, the man who made the "Supersize Me" Documentary about a 30 day diet of nothing but food from McDonald's and then keeping track of the results with legit doctors. If you have never seen this documentary I highly recommend it.

Now this TV show was called 30 days. It was a number of different "experiments" that lasted a period of 30 days. The first episode ever shown was my favorite. 30 days living on minimum wage. They did this experiment in Columbus, Ohio. The results just may shock you, and remember this was several years ago. This was all BEFORE the financial crisis, the recession, and before unemployment started rising and at a time when things in the USA were "good". Enjoy.

edit on 3-6-2011 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

why would they be for it when they have to pay for it

people just love free stuff with someone else footing the bill.

not any one carrier spread out among them and creating competition this lowering rates and increasing care broad spectrum.

healthcare should be by the private sector but its not.

the last part of the equation is getting the meddlesome government out of the way.

private care is better than medicare and medicaid now think why that is what different about private care vs big government?

you answer that question everyone can without much thought.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

i am going to shoot myself because people just dont get where the so called clinton surplus came from.

it was stolen straight from social security.

get this corporations are multiantional that means income earned in other parts of the world are not taxable here.

thats like me saying california has a right to my income even tho i live in new york..

you should be blaming the right people the us federal government who makes the laws and enforces them or the lack there of.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

why would they be for it when they have to pay for it

people just love free stuff with someone else footing the bill.

Yes yes yes, those poor people who earn less that $6,000 a year must love getting free stuff right? How much does health insurance cost you on a weekly basis? For example I py $340.00 a month under my employer which is good in my opinion. It's $85.00 a week. How is somebody earning $120.00 going to afford this? And take into mind, I'm talking about myself as an individual. What about a family??

But hey, we'll just crawl back to fantasy land and pretend that everybody who is under the programme are free loaders. Right. Don't let me even start about those people who are barred from healthcare insurance because of prexisting conditions. Clearly those people don't exist. Open arms, the healthcare industry!

healthcare should be by the private sector but its not.

Yes, you believe it should, so you agree with what Christie is doing, right? Infact he should take it further, it should be everybody right? Why don't those freeloading families just take a hike right? Do you want to be the one to say this to them? Huh? I'm not sure about the OP though, he agrees with you, but he's not willing to do the dirty work really.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

like i said 6k a year get another job and yeah they are receiving government subsidies to suggest they are not getting anything free is disingenous not to mention that arent paying taxes and those subsidies are being paid by other people who are.

whatever man lets just keep shelling out the money all the while killing healthcare and making it more and more expensive but still not good enough

lets create more people on the government dime instead of solving the problems.

you know back in the day i could go to any part of this country any part and receive the same care anywhere.

thats something you cant do today you have to drive sometimes hundreds of miles to other states because the government has put healthcare providers out of business and regulated that only certain people can provide certain types of care.

making the problems worse and not addressing the unlying issues has far worse disastrous consequences than what christie has done.

guess it doesnt matter that no person in need of care regardless of background receives care and any emergency room
edit on 3-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You do realize that most poor people are in fact not lazy. Fact of the matter is, they often have to work twice as hard and twice as much to make ends meet.

This elitist attitude that poor people must be lazy and they wait for handouts does nothing but create a bigger divide. To be honest, that assumption is not only false, but ludicrous. To even suggest that work ethic is the sole factor in one's financial standing is ignorant.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

they are something

successful people do more than the hand that is dealt to them and yeah looking for a job "trying"

whatever is the very defintion of lazy.

go getters and people who are not happy with their situations and they do something about it

they do not just stop they continue the push hard and they do.

not ignorant is the cold hard truth.

bill gates just sit on his azz happy with a job that paid him 6k a year?

did warrent buffet

the fact are the majority of americans do not have the qualities to be sucessful that is the cold hard reality

what they do have in spades is to just sit back and let the government do everything for them

and whine and complain and moan about things they dont have never taking their own destinies into their own two hands.

the only place and the only thing that will never let you down and never quit until you get where you want to be.

the truth hurts.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Wow! Amazing opinions here. I don't know what the right answers are for the situation we find ourselves in right now, but I don't think anyone wants to see the result of not having a safety net for healthcare, if anything. How is someone supposed to get a second job, or even stay at the first job if a medical disaster hits them? The answer of buying insurance is not an option in many cases, financially nor physically. Health Insurance companies reject most people that have chronic health problems.

Now, I will have to put myself on the 'slab' to bring this to a point. I was making a low to mid middle class wage and healthcare was not provided. They wanted over $500 a month just to cover myself, not including my 2 daughters. Well, one fine morning at 3 AM I got shot with a 12ga 00Mag Buck Shot in the neck and chest. 22 surgeries later, I am back working, albeit making less than I was before due to 2 1/2 years of surgeries, but increasing in this disastrous economy anyway. That is not the case for a lot of people. Anyway, while I was unconscious in ICU, the hospital (a prestigious university teaching hospital) somehow got me on Medicaid without me being 'present'. And I was in no shape for quite some months to really start considering life again. It is easy to blow off Medicaid, and other programs, but I feel terrible things will result. What do you suggest, for example, if there was no 'safety net' at the time when I was shot? Just leave me lying until I bled out and leave my daughters with no father? (Mother already gone) How would you suggest I could have got back to being a tax paying citizen and productive member of society again? My bills surpassed 3/4 of a million $. Heck, they might as well have let me go, but the family wouldn't have liked that.

So, all you that want to let people go on their own. Let’s say you and your spouse lose your jobs due to economic reasons like today. And while your wife is coming out of the local grocery store she is robbed and shot in the head. Now how would you feel about having a program like Medicaid there to bring your wife, your kid's mother, etc, etc back to at least close to her previous self if that is possible? Not all scenarios end like mine. Now you’re on your own, taking care of the kids, no wife, or you’re trying to care for her with no job. It all turns around real quick then I imagine. We might see you in the news even crying about why a first world country like the US can't help a crime victim with medically necessary surgery. Should we all chide you and say, “go get a second job and buy some insurance..." (Expletives left out). Sometimes, I can't believe the fellow human claiming race produces such extremes, but that is another topic. I bet you would like to be in Canada then, or France. Free healthcare or single payer anyway.

There are a lot of problems out there, but medical care is a most basic need if someone is going to remain a productive citizen. Now, I can go on for hours on other government spending that should be cut first. Why is it they always want to hurt the little people first? To make them vote to support their big programs? I tell you now, if the Congress hadn't been taking all the Social Security, Medicare, and other funds for the last 60 years we wouldn't be in this situation. If it was left to gain interest, etc we wouldn't have this issue. Why doesn't the US gov sell all that land they took in Nevada, Wyoming, etc? They don't need it. Ah, but there again it isn't going to hurt the low wage earners, or people struggling to just hang on and feed their family does it?

edit on 3/6/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That's just it. You don't get it. You have no accurate description of those who are struggling. They don't whine at all. You're doing the whining. They are breaking their butts to feed their kids or to pay their mortgage so they don't lose their house or where they live.

It's nothing more than typical right wing lunacy to suggest that poor people are drug addicted, abortion crazy, lazy fiends. It's 2011, Neo. No one is trying to steal your freedoms or your money. What poor people are trying to do is eat.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

pretty sure i have an accurate picture of the situation

i guess you dont read ats much or skip over all the banks and rich are evil threads.

and please do quote where i said this

that poor people are drug addicted, abortion crazy, lazy fiends. It's 2011, Neo. No one is trying to steal your freedoms or your money.

yet another atser who twist and turns a post to suit his own needs.

half this country pays taxes
47 million americans on welfare
20 million + unemployed and drawing their 99 weeks of unemployement checks

all footed by the rest of the country.

and last time i checked americans are fat hence lazy obamas own wife says they are fat.

and you dont get fat by not eating or working.

i get it just fine some people just refuse to open their eyes that the reasons to all of the above is the direct result of big government pushers.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by spirit_horse

Wow $500 a month for insurance
I just did a quote for health insurance here in Australia,the top cover for a single person was $136 a month,you guys are getting ripped off hard with health insurance,yes we have public healthcare but we can also go private if we want to,My family go the public route,we pay plenty of tax,so why not,Our health insurance is probably cheaper because we have a choice,private or public,if the insurance company's here tried to charge like yours they would be out of business very quickly,and our health care is not free,unless you are really poor,my wife and i both pay a Medicare levy when we do our tax returns each year,i'd rather my taxes go towards helping a sick Aussie than be wasted on foreign aid ,

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

I could definately deal with that $136 a month. It is all a big show and we are all on board for the ride. I never went to the doc for most of my life other than a sore throat here and there. And there were plenty of family docs around that you could see for $40 and get some anti-biotics like cheap Penicillin. Now the costs are $90-$170 and meds are ridiculous. Same meds, made by the same manufacturer are a lot cheaper across the border. Its like the fleecing of the American people got to be a drug to all involved, banks, government, drug manufacturers, etc and now that they have driven us to national bankruptcy they are panicking. I pay cash for my medical now and believe it or not the docs I deal with give me a great deal for cash. There are so many regulations and rules mandated by government and insurance companies that they don't have to worry about when it is a cash deal that they run with it. Now I know what is probably part of Obamacare and I haven't heard it, nor am I reading it all, but I would bet they are going to make cash payments to doctors illegal. Otherwise there would still be the 2 systems, cash and everyone else. There is no money in the cure, it is in the maintenance of the disease or problem. If they get you locked in for life you are in trouble. I tried extensively to avoid being pulled into their system, but it happened anyway. It is just like any other recurring fee business that you have x amount of accounts paying x amount a month and keep building the accounts. And believe me, they know how to build accounts in the medical industry. Hmmm...seems like an account building conspiracy in the medical field...lol!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

ok yell at me

but if all youi earn is $5317 you need to get a second job.

anyone earning under 10lk a year and pays not taxes

medicaid is tax money taken from other people

medicaid is paid to people who dont want to find another job or even a second job.

people do have medicare taken out of their check it should be no different.

if insurance is so important to people buy your own oh and its now a federal law to have health insurance

but wait for it if its a federal law to have health insurance then medicaid is not needed.

sorry but you cant have it both ways.

I am sorry but you should eat better and take exercises

If you get sick eat an orange

If people want luxury like a doctor they need to getting a job

Why are you living anyways!

People these days?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

pretty sure i have an accurate picture of the situation

i guess you dont read ats much or skip over all the banks and rich are evil threads.

and please do quote where i said this

that poor people are drug addicted, abortion crazy, lazy fiends. It's 2011, Neo. No one is trying to steal your freedoms or your money.

yet another atser who twist and turns a post to suit his own needs.

half this country pays taxes
47 million americans on welfare
20 million + unemployed and drawing their 99 weeks of unemployement checks

all footed by the rest of the country.

and last time i checked americans are fat hence lazy obamas own wife says they are fat.

and you dont get fat by not eating or working.

i get it just fine some people just refuse to open their eyes that the reasons to all of the above is the direct result of big government pushers.

I just bet if you could, you would piss on dead bodies for fun, wouldn't you?

I can't wait for you to meet your maker, your going to feel sorry and regret your disgust for humanity, I feel sorry for you, Neo.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is the same guy who just got caught taking a helicopter to his son's baseball game. I believe he'd decided to pay for it out of his own pocket...once he got caught. I believe it cost him more than $5317...that is pretty sick.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

I just bet if you could, you would piss on dead bodies for fun, wouldn't you?

i would too many people on here have already done that to me.

I can't wait for you to meet your maker, your going to feel sorry and regret your disgust for humanity, I feel sorry for you, Neo.

depends on your definition of my maker if by i was made by the liberal education brainswashing service and social programming of hollywood of this country

sorry to dissappoint that it didnt take to well guess they should have thrown a couple of more billion dolllars at the endeavor.

feel sorry for me whatever floats your boat dont really much care.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Disgusting. This is why I'm never moving to the USA. Great country, but is run by absolute scum.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
The basic issue for me is the fact that medical care in the US is, and always has been, a for profit enterprise. Basic healthcare should be provided to everyone for ZERO profit. Americans won't mobilise together for such a right because the current setup has everyone fractured. Lucky employees who have a great insurance policy will protest against any proposed change which may jeopardise that situation. Yet these individuals won't stand up for those that can't get ANY insurance coverage due to pre-existing illnesses or for those that cannot afford insurance premiums. All of us have to realise that 90%+ of the US population (non millionaires!) are just one accident or job loss away from losing their precious insurance policy, maybe we would come to the realisation that basic good healthcare should not be a for profit enterprise.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

How many threads you gonna troll bro?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Christie's plan is to destroy everything and anything that cannot either be outsourced, defunded or erroded.

I am ashamed he and I share the same state. I've met him and he's a lard arse with an overinflated ego.

$6,000 in New Jersey barely your annual food bill and clothing, not factoring rent, cable, internet, property taxes, energy expenses. Heck, my houses annual property taxes are north of $8,500 a yr. That is like 6 - 8 months in rent alone.
edit on 4-6-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join