It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ governor : family earning 5317$ a year is too rich for medicaid

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Christie is a typical modern day depraved Republican, who like those other republican governors in Wisconsin, Ohio, Florida, and other states are all a disgrace to the human race.

This republican tide, as the republican maniacs in congress are also, the new Nazis...

This kind of useless rhetoric is why our government is frozen at INEPT. Seriously?? Nazis?? There goes Godwin's law again.

Anyone who makes a Nazis reference should be ignored like an unruly child.

Back to Christie... Wow. What an idiot. Whatever my opinions of medicare, etc., this guy is seriously out of touch with reality and real people.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

"Way Above Top Secret" Really?

Does taking your thread information from a "progressive" smear site get you to that level? Research and present all of what was proposed by Christie. Just like the smear site source, I doubt you care. His entire list of proposals don't fit your attack.

This from your source:

Christie has proposed cutting Medicaid eligibility to absurdly low levels: from the current maximum income of $24,645 to $5,317 a year for a family of three. Apparently, the governor believes a family of three making $6,000 a year is simply too rich to receive Medicaid.

What else was proposed by Christie in conjunction with that level of eligibility? I will not do your homework for you. Present the whole package, don't snipe with select cuts.

This from your source article:

“Those 23,000 people are going to get sick this year,” said Louis Greenwald (D), a committee chairman. “Where are you suggesting they’re going to go?”

How coy! They will go exactly where they have always gone Louis. To New Jersey hospitals. Greenwald claims to live in Voorhees, NJ but I suspect in actuality he lives on the moon.

Here's your blogger:

Marie Diamond is a reporter/blogger for ThinkProgress.org. She hails from the great metropolis of Temple, TX. She holds a B.A. in political science from Yale and was a Yale Journalism Scholar. Before joining ThinkProgress, she worked at West Wing Writers, a speechwriting and communications firm. She has also interned for The American Prospect and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, and has done development work in South Africa and Kazakhstan.

Luckily for us she has no axe to grind. FAIL! Sen. Dianne Feinstein? THE senator from the free spending, fiscally irresponsible, smouldering crater that was once... Kali-fawnia?

Even Feinstein can't help but facepalm this thread.

President of the United States Hates Babies

I could find a few select cuts to frame that. And.... pick a president..... any president.

If you're a "Gold Level Contributor" you're above this. Is that designation for bulk or quality?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple

This is the same guy who just got caught taking a helicopter to his son's baseball game. I believe he'd decided to pay for it out of his own pocket...once he got caught. I believe it cost him more than $5317...that is pretty sick.

Research! Another sniper. The helicopter would have been used with or without him in it. I dare say it got a good work-out that afternoon.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by cry93
Is there some reason why this family's income is so low? Is there a medical reason? If there is, then the family should qualify for other services.

That is precisely what is not presented by the smear site. Redundant services!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
Godwin's law again.

Anyone who makes a Nazis reference should be ignored like an unruly child.

Sometimes the comparison is correct, therefore Godwin's law is... crap.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

What kind of sicko this bastard is?

I'll tell you what kind of "sicko bastard" he is, Typical Republican/Tea Bagger type, that's what! Gov. Christie is just showing their true colors for all to see, and to think that he is considered to be their 2012 "superman" sleeper candidate, yeah right.

This is a perfect demonstration of what happens when greed is allowed to dominate. Enough is never enough and they will not stop until the poor and the middle class have nothing left to give. Even then, they will utilize indebtedness to maintain their control over the nation's wealth and it's people.

Others here on ATS might say that those earning less than $6,000 a year just need to take on a second or third job. (they say nothing about raising the slave level wages that employers are allowed to pay in this country.) Furthermore, they clearly demonstrate their ignorance by ignoring the fact that parents who are forced to work 2 and 3 jobs are not available to properly raise their children. This lack of parental guidance is a primary cause of poor performance in school, increased drop out rates and gang activity. (it's just so much easier for them to blame the teachers than it is to stand up to the corporations that employ us and demand that they pay their fair share of this nation's social burden.)

Even in the "Roots" saga, when the slaves were freed, plans were put in place, (by the wealthy elite) to keep them enslaved through indebtedness. To this day, that mentality has never ceased to exist.

A blogger named "Conceptual Guerilla" put it quite well when he described them as "Cheap Labor Conservatives" in this portion of one of his blogs back in 2006;

Right-Wing Ideology In A Nutshell
When you cut right through it, right-wing ideology is just "dime-store economics" – intended to dress their ideology up and make it look respectable. You don't really need to know much about economics to understand it. They certainly don't. It all gets down to two simple words.

"Cheap labor". That's their whole philosophy in a nutshell – which gives you a short and pithy "catch phrase" that describes them perfectly. You've heard of "big-government liberals". Well they're "cheap-labor conservatives".

"Cheap-labor conservative" is a moniker they will never shake, and never live down. Because it's exactly what they are. You see, cheap-labor conservatives are defenders of corporate America – whose fortunes depend on labor. The larger the labor supply, the cheaper it is. The more desperately you need a job, the cheaper you'll work, and the more power those "corporate lords" have over you. If you are a wealthy elite – or a "wannabe" like most dittoheads – your wealth, power and privilege is enhanced by a labor pool, forced to work cheap.

Don't believe me. Well, let's apply this principle, and see how many right-wing positions become instantly understandable.

Cheap-labor conservatives don't like social spending or our "safety net". Why. Because when you're unemployed and desperate, corporations can pay you whatever they feel like – which is inevitably next to nothing. You see, they want you "over a barrel" and in a position to "work cheap or starve".
Cheap-labor conservatives don't like the minimum wage, or other improvements in wages and working conditions. Why. These reforms undo all of their efforts to keep you "over a barrel".
Cheap-labor conservatives like "free trade", NAFTA, GATT, etc. Why. Because there is a huge supply of desperately poor people in the third world, who are "over a barrel", and will work cheap.
Cheap-labor conservatives oppose a woman's right to choose. Why. Unwanted children are an economic burden that put poor women "over a barrel", forcing them to work cheap.
Cheap-labor conservatives don't like unions. Why. Because when labor "sticks together", wages go up. That's why workers unionize. Seems workers don't like being "over a barrel".
Cheap-labor conservatives constantly bray about "morality", "virtue", "respect for authority", "hard work" and other "values". Why. So they can blame your being "over a barrel" on your own "immorality", lack of "values" and "poor choices".
Cheap-labor conservatives encourage racism, misogyny, homophobia and other forms of bigotry. Why? Bigotry among wage earners distracts them, and keeps them from recognizing their common interests as wage earners.
The Cheap-Labor Conservative "Dirty Secret" : They Don't Really Like Prosperity
Maybe you don't believe that cheap-labor conservatives like unemployment, poverty and "cheap labor". Consider these facts.

Unemployment was 23 percent when FDR took office in 1933. It dropped to 2.5 percent by time the next Republican was in the White House in 1953. It climbed back to 6.5 percent by the end of the Eisenhower administration. It dropped to 3.5 percent by the time LBJ left office. It climbed over 5 percent shortly after Nixon took office, and stayed there for 27 years, until Clinton brought it down to 4.5 percent early in his second term.

That same period – especially from the late forties into the early seventies – was the "golden age" of the United States. We sent men to the moon. We built our Interstate Highway system. We ended segregation in the South and established Medicare. In those days, a single wage earner could support an entire family on his wages. I grew up then, and I will tell you that life was good – at least for the many Americans insulated from the tragedy in Vietnam, as I was.

These facts provide a nice background to evaluate cheap-labor conservative claims like "liberals are destroying America." In fact, cheap-labor conservatives have howled with outrage and indignation against New Deal liberalism from its inception in the 1930's all the way to the present. You can go to "Free Republic" or Hannity's forum right now, and find a cheap-labor conservative comparing New Deal Liberalism to "Stalinism".

Cheap-labor conservatives opposed virtually all of the New Deal, including every improvement in wages and working conditions.
Cheap-labor conservatives have a long and sorry history of opposing virtually every advancement in this country's development going right back to the American revolution.
Cheap-labor conservatives have hated Social Security and Medicare since their inception.
Many cheap-labor conservatives are hostile to public education. They think it should be privatized. But why are we surprised. Cheap-labor conservatives opposed universal public education in its early days. School vouchers are just a backdoor method to "resegregate" the public schools.
Cheap-labor conservatives hate the progressive income tax like the devil hates holy water.
Cheap-labor conservatives like budget deficits and a huge national debt for two reasons. A bankrupt government has a harder time doing any "social spending" – which cheap-labor conservatives oppose, and . . .
Wealthy cheap-labor conservatives like say, George W. Bush, buy the bonds and then earn tax free interest on the money they lend the government.[Check out Dubya's financial disclosures. The son of a bitch is a big holder of the T-bills that finance the deficit he is helping to expand.] The deficit created by cheap-labor conservatives while they posture as being "fiscally conservative" – may count as the biggest con job in American history.
"Free Trade", globalization, NAFTA and especially GATT are intended to create a world-wide "corporate playground" where national governments serve the interests of corporations – which means "cheap labor".
The ugly truth is that cheap-labor conservatives just don't like working people. They don't like "bottom up" prosperity, and the reason for it is very simple. lords have a harder time kicking them around. Once you understand this about the cheap-labor conservatives, the real motivation for their policies makes perfect sense. Remember, cheap-labor conservatives believe in social hierarchy and privilege, so the only prosperity they want is limited to them. They want to see absolutely nothing that benefits the guy – or more often the woman – who works for an hourly wage.

Anyway, there you have it and I couldn't have said it better myself. S&F for exposing them once again!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
nj.com, which appears to be the source for the article that Vitchilo posted, gives a little bit more information that thinkprogress.com seemed to miss:

If approved by the Obama administration, the change would affect only new applicants and virtually everyone in the program now would continue to receive health benefits, officials said. Children would continue to be accepted.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a bad idea. I think it should be lowered, but not by 75%. But Christie came into the Governorship with New Jersey at a $1 billion deficit that his Democratic predecessor handed to him.

He can't cut military spending. He can't cut Social Security. He can't cut Medicare. He tried to get teachers to pay 1% into their pension and accept a wage freeze for one whole year, and that was shot down (not to mention death threats).

He's running out of things to cut. He's got to do something since the previous Governor got NJ in this situation and obviously didn't give a crap.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
wow, and he wants to run for president!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

What kind of sicko this bastard is?[

Perhaps one who thinks people should actually be responsible for themselves

He is, in effect, forcing the people to grow up. The people protesting this would also think a cow weaning her calf is being 'mean' by kicking it away. Christie is sending out the same message. Stop sucking off the teat.

The poor should turn to family, friends, or their church for help.

They could also get a real job! You can't with any honesty tell me that someone old enough to procreate has not learned to do 'anything' beyond eat, watch tv, and poop.

They could become seamstresses, tailors, maids, gardneners, handyman, you can get paid for pretty much anything that takes time to do.

You know how long handmade clothes in the

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I lived in Panama and was married so i was under my wife's healthcare in 2005
I was bit my a spider or something (doctors had no idea what it was) and got very sick and almost died and in fact the doctor said if i was at the hospital 8 hours later i would've died.
I had to get shots everyday for the next two weeks
TOTAL COST $50 for the doctor visits, shots, and medication
So even if i had health insurance and it happened here how much would it have cost me in my payments throughout the year(s) including all the years i've never used it (with no reimbursement for not using it and paying for others) and the copays for the follow up visits to the doctors and the deductible and medication and shots.
It is the companies including the AMA and insurance and your so very loyal gov't that is out for a profit and could care less about the people so while you fight among yourselves as to who is lazy or doesn't want to work for it or who deserves what do you really think the AMA, Insurance, Gov't ARE NOT LAZY and feeding off of all of you?
Oh yeh and if you're an illegal immigrant here you don't have to pay taxes or pay to get healthcare, you get it free from all the lazy people that have worked in their early years and now told to F off.
And now you get to be a citizen free of charge without having to pay for the immigration process or repay any costs or back taxes and put right on all the gov't programs to help you because after all illegals need to have food and shelter and medicine before any lazy American that has worked for years and now (not all) for a reason can not get work or able to work.
Once again this is NOT a country but a CORPORATION run by accountants which means the only thing that matters is the bottom line and making as much as they can regardless of any detriment caused to the Human Resource.
If you want to change things you need to think of how to change things in a Corporation that you are a human resource for and Not a citizen of a country.
Voting will not change anything because it's just like a company, just because they change the CEO or CFO or President , it's still the same old agenda.
You can change things in just one day by taking away their Human Resource and going on strike and not pay one more insurance payment or cable bill or electric bill or gas for the car or anything they think they control because they don't control you unless you let them just like in any company.
So very simple "United we stand, divided we fall"
Why do you think they promote racism and support illegals so we fight and bicker among ourselves because their worst nightmare is for all the whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, and all the other races to actually be civil to each other and communicate intelligently and see that WE ARE ALL being used and abused and just a human resource to support their insatiable drug (the almighty dollar) habit.
Save a country and bring down Wall Street because changing your politicians is not the solution.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I can only second the comment above. Republican - Democrat - it doesn't make one bit of difference as long as everyone is WASTING time blaming each party for failures. The USA is a corporation, end of story. You will always be the worker, so STOP the blame game. It is getting all of us no where fast. Do you actually want to keep living in a country that doesn't value it's citizens? Stop and ask yourselves why NONE of our past handful of Presidents have made the average citizen their priority? Why our rankings in education, health and science have fallen below other nations?I have no doubt that leaders know how their populace feels these days and I'm sure that they scrape boards like ATS for running trends. And the fact is, they DON'T care. If they did, we would see action. Most of you have stated that nobody on $6k a year could possibly afford insurance premiums because it's a fact. Both parties need to agree the SAME path forward, and us citizens need to do the same. The leaders are no doubt able to do many of these things because they know that you are too busy arguing the Two Party semantics to notice. United we stand, divided we fall.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hemisphere

Originally posted by cry93
Is there some reason why this family's income is so low? Is there a medical reason? If there is, then the family should qualify for other services.

That is precisely what is not presented by the smear site. Redundant services!

So why didn't this fellow just end the bleeding program???

" I'll save people with a pulse of 2 and 13/6 Blood Pressure! "

"Good Gov., I'll go get a pine box!"

Redundant if it is not chronic... you cannot walk into a hospital and say "hey guys, treat my cancer!" it doesn't work that way. It must feel great to help propel human healthcare in to the luxury category.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
ok yell at me

but if all youi earn is $5317 you need to get a second job.

Considering that many of Us can't even get a FIRST job, this is ridiculous. Sure, if a job happens along, and if They are physically capable, and They have no obligations that preclude it, that might be a solution. What do They do when no job comes along?

medicaid is paid to people who dont want to find another job or even a second job.

You are rather ignorant of how things really are out in the real world, it would seem. Medicaid is for people who cannot find enough - or any - work in this crazy economy.

people do have medicare taken out of their check it should be no different.

What? "Here, here's some money. There, We took most of it away for medicaid." Doesn't matter if You can't LIVE on what's left.

if insurance is so important to people buy your own

Hahaha! With what MONEY?

but wait for it if its a federal law to have health insurance then medicaid is not needed.

And for people who have no money to buy Their legally required insurance?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Wut? That's either total ignorance on the cost of life or total ``screw the poor`` statement right there.

Gov. Christie Thinks A Family Making $6,000 A Year Is Too Rich To Qualify For Medicaid

Adults in a family of three that makes as little as $103 a week would earn too much to qualify for health care provided by Medicaid under a sharply curtailed program Gov. Chris Christie wants the federal government to approve this year, according to state officials and advocates briefed on the proposal.[...]

The Christie administration is expected to propose cutting the maximum income level of Medicaid from $24,645 to $5,317 a year for a family of three [...]

“That is about a third of the poverty level,” Castro said. “That means that an uninsured parent working full time at a minimum-wage job wouldn’t be eligible. … A parent who works half-time for minimum wage wouldn’t even qualify.

That's insane.

5317$ a year... for THREE PEOPLE... Just a crappy apartment rent is already ALMOST 5000$ a year. With that, no food, no car, no bus pass, no school, no NOTHING.

Food for a family of 3 probably costs 103$ a week. Especially with food prices skyrocketing.

If you earn 6k$ a year, and you get sick, or your kid gets sick, you are screwed.

What kind of sicko this bastard is?
edit on 3-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

He's the kink of sicko bastard that's doing everything possible to make sure that the price of a Big Mac doesn't rise to $10.99

The lesson here? Stay in school...learn a trade.

And turn off the television.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Considering that many of Us can't even get a FIRST job, this is ridiculous. Sure, if a job happens along, and if They are physically capable, and They have no obligations that preclude it, that might be a solution. What do They do when no job comes along?

the facts are many american think they are too good for some jobs never in 25 years could i never find a job never
and when one job wasnt enought i picked up a second job for the extra cash 15 hours days.

You are rather ignorant of how things really are out in the real world, it would seem. Medicaid is for people who cannot find enough - or any - work in this crazy economy.

since you beleive that which is incorrect it is now federal law to have health insurance and since that law passed they they should be paying medicaid themselves not someone else.

for someone just trying to get by they now have a gun to their head being forced to buy what the "cant afford".

What? "Here, here's some money. There, We took most of it away for medicaid." Doesn't matter if You can't LIVE on what's left.

whats this we crap the government did and the governemnt created the situtation not me.

Hahaha! With what MONEY?

yeah ask all those people who are now forced to buy insurance where they are suppose to get that money and agian i didnt pass that healthcare law.

i have upset alot of people in this thread dont really much care all i have done is posted some words on the stupidity of govenrment.

i am not obama or our elected officials who have screwed the people over.

the ignorance is this thread when people do not understand the root causes o the problems in this country

and that is our government.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

If he had intellectual honesty he'd just say NJ won't offer Medicaid. I promise you not a single person alive in NJ can live off that amount unless they live on the street and beg.

Americans, aren't we the cruelist of "civil" societies.

I am telling you, in few years, America will be awash with homeless families begging for your mostly eaten BigMacs at every street corner. You'll pass by them with disgust, maybe telling the little kid to get out of your way.

I think that is the endgame if this continues. Homeless people and families living on every corner. It'll be a great place to live!

"Hey, get a third slave-wage job, you bum!"

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

Oh, I didn't know the helicopter was going to his son's game with or without him. My bad, I feel stupid now.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Gov. Christie should REALLY be forced to live on $6000 for a year so he can get a grasp on what it's like for the poor and disabled. He pays for very little of the life he leads now, even relying on state tax dollars to chopper himself to his son's ball games. What ARROGANCE!

He should also lay off the doughnuts, but that's another thread altogether.

He doesn't have a clue what it is like to live below the poverty level - for whatever reason - and I'd bet a pretty penny most of you folks that are calling for Medicare and Medicaid to be cut don't either. Do you really think people want to be living hand to mouth just so they can avoid work and get free stuff? PuLEEEZE. Dame un descanso.

As I was responding to this OP I found myself writing so much, covering issues outside the scope of the OP, that I decided to make a new thread out of it. It can be found HERE.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple
reply to post by Hemisphere

Oh, I didn't know the helicopter was going to his son's game with or without him. My bad, I feel stupid now.

I should have expected a snarky retort. The helicopter would have went on a training flight to nowhere without him. Better to serve a purpose in coordination with the training flight. Want to twist things some more? Yes "your bad". I feel sorry that you feel stupid. I suspect you're very much in touch with your feelings. Go with that.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Every state is making cuts and reductions. The following from the great State of South Carolina. The Post and Courier from March 5th, 2011.

Medicaid payouts to be cut 3%

Cuts are being made throughout the country. The plight of New Jersey is not the plight of every other state. Although I think we can all agree the potential is there. In 2010, Christie was faced with $57.18 billion in largely inherited debt as opposed to say Mark Sanford from South Carolina and their $16.67 billion in 2010 debt. Pre-budget deficit for New Jersey 2011: $10.07 billion. That's with a "B". Pre-budget deficit for South Carolina 2011: $1.30 million. Vastly different circumstances. Come to Jersey and walk a mile in our moccasins. Sanford made healthcare cuts that were not popular but did not receive the national attention, at least for that.

Haley proposes cuts, will work with legislators on rest

From that article:

With South Carolina facing an $829 million budget shortfall, new Gov. Nikki Haley suggested spending cuts Wednesday that — best-case scenario — could total about $120 million if adopted, leaving $719 million more to cut.

Yes, proofreading does not appear to be a priority on "South Carolina's Homepage" but ignoring that, I think the writing is on the wall for similar unpopular cuts to programs in your state and many others. Putting the horse back in the barn will not be easy. It's going to be painful and not just in New Jersey.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join