It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Deregulates GMO Crops Despite Supreme Court Injunction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Early this spring, while the world was distracted by Egypt’s uprising, President Barack Obama pushed the Secretary of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Agriculture to deregulate genetically engineered alfalfa and sugar beets in the United States. The USDA came through as he directed, totally deregulating these Monsanto-patented genes in early February.

In so doing, Obama and the USDA have chosen to override and ignore decisions and injunctions made by the U.S. Supreme Court that banned planting of genetically engineered alfalfa and sugar beets without consideration of the Environmental Impact Assessments, which showed high risks to organic and conventional (chemical) farmers.

Sugar beets provide over 50 percent of the sugar Americans use in their coffee, cereals, and desserts.

Alfalfa reaches our tables within milk, cream, butter, and meat, as it is used as a major animal feed in the dairy industry. It is also used to enrich soils in organic farming.

www.truth-out.org...

This is just horrible, I've read about alfalfa but didn't know Obama was the one pushing it and wasn't aware of sugar beets either.

While thinking how far sugar beets and alfalfa goes it will be100% impossible to avoid GMO foods
Don't say it already is impossible, that's untrue, it's very much possible at this moment, I myself have not eaten corn or used canola oil for a very long time.

But now it will soon be impossible, it seems like there is no winning with Monsanto
There's no way to win

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Since when does a president over-ride the Supreme Court..?
Nm silly me.

Deebo

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Gee what a surprise with all the Monsanto people Obama has nominated in his administration and at key posts at the FDA!

Yes Bush and Clinton did it too, but it isn't an excuse.

Who didn't see that coming?

He needs to be freaking impeached. NOW.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Dictator of Death..."above" the US SC authority.
And he wants to be re-elected...over our dead bodies, literally.
Snf

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Free Market Baby, git out of the way of the freedom!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
But now it will soon be impossible, it seems like there is no winning with Monsanto
There's no way to win

I was just thinking the same thing. I am trying to figure out how to get around it and I just don't see much of a way. It does feel kind of hopeless.

I make almost everything from scratch and butter, flour, eggs, sugar, and milk are main ingredients in almost everything. It seems like the best that you could do is limit your intake of these things, but a person couldn't cut them out completely.

And even if/when we are able to stop them, it seems like crops would be contaminated by these GMO crops for years....maybe forever. Could we ever actually get rid of it completely? Do the GMO crops completely die out each year?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Could you elaborate on this?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
With the ex-Monsanto guy,Michael Taylor,now the Food Safety Czar,in the new Office of Foods,...well,...it makes me lose my appetite just thinking about it!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Hungry strike's are alot more appetizing ...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

DENY IGNORANCE, not espouse it.
Got it!!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It's actions like these that make me literally think that something BIG is coming down the pike. The reason being is that this food is documented to cause all sorts of illness in any animal that eats it - including humans. Reeks of depopulation agenda to me.

Further, include the seed banks in your thinking. Once you have the population size where you want it, destroy the GMO crops and use the good seed again.

From beginning to end of this agenda, Monsanto will make billions along with their crony lobbyists and politicians. Additionally, they will use the GMO crops as economic muscle when the US Government wants any country to do what it wants. Hospitals, Insurance Agencies, Pharma-Corp all rakes in billions on human illness.

Surprisingly, Monsanto put up it's latest commercial on YouTube and its too saucy to embed, so I will link to it instead.

Monsanto Commercial Link: www.youtube.com...
edit on 2-6-2011 by alyoshablue because: Typos

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

My wife and I were talking the other day about this. It's like the beginning of some post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie. In every one of those movies, you have:

1. A large conglomerate controlling the food. Check.
2. A black president. (seriously, think about all those movies) Check.
3. War-torn world and the western governments using it as an excuse to clamp down on personal freedoms.
4. Economic collapse, world-wide. Check.
5. Etc, etc. Check, check, check.

We are living in a sci-fi, folks. Monsanto will probably be the ones to cause the zombie apocalypse. I swear, they are The Umbrella Corporation (or Sambra).

edit on 2-6-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Oh man, excellent article, and very informative. I still don't understand this president, nor will I ever for that matter, but he seems to have no respect for authority at all. In my mind, he's completely sold out the entire country, and sealed the fate for every future minority presidential hopeful. And to think, we were worried about Castro...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Again Obama is presenting a show of strength so that everyone knows he is the HDIC: Head Dictator In Charge. He's beginning to surpass Bush on how many times a U.S. President can wipe his @$$ with the Constitution and get away with it. What's really pathetically sad and disgusting is that enough people will still vote for him because he gives them handouts.

Give a man a hundred dollars and he'll say "thank you". Give a man someone else's hundred dollars, and he'll worship you.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite

Got it!!!!

It ain't the job of the government to interfere with work, freedom or be baby sittering people is it?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite

Got it!!!!

It ain't the job of the government to interfere with work, freedom or be baby sittering people is it?

I think you both misunderstood each other
now make love not war!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This is something I do disagree with our President about and very strongly, if anything could cost him my vote it is this. While it should be noted there's a right wing slant in the OP (imo), it is true that Obama is not standing against GMO/Biotech. I think he made a huge mistake appointing Tom Vilsack Sec. of Agriculture. GMO needs to be done away with and Monsanto sent straight back to whatever rock they crawled out from under.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

It isn't really a free market though.. I mean if it was truly a free market then small farmers who want to grow non-gmo crops wouldn't be sued out of existance by Monsanto when their cruddy GMO junk contaminates farmer's fields.

If it was really free market then Monsanto wouldn't be able to patent food (seeds).

If it was really a free market then the government would not have stepped in and told those companies who aren't using GMO crops in their products that they can't advertise their products as GMO free because they know nobody would buy the GMO crud if they knew which is which.

That is definately not free market. In a free market, people would know what's what and Monsanto would go out of business because people would not buy their frankenfoods.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz
reply to post by Janky Red

It isn't really a free market though.. I mean if it was truly a free market then small farmers who want to grow non-gmo crops wouldn't be sued out of existance by Monsanto when their cruddy GMO junk contaminates farmer's fields.

If it was really free market then Monsanto wouldn't be able to patent food (seeds).

If it was really a free market then the government would not have stepped in and told those companies who aren't using GMO crops in their products that they can't advertise their products as GMO free because they know nobody would buy the GMO crud if they knew which is which.

ps - edit - And the regulations that do happen to get in their way, they knock down. As you can see.

That is definately not free market. In a free market, people would know what's what and Monsanto would go out of business because people would not buy their frankenfoods.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

Exactly! They say regulation is to protect people yet all it does is make an insanely high barrier-to-entry for any small-time food producer. I would bet money that just about every piece of legislation passed in the last 10 years that hurt farmers was somehow financed by Monsanto's corporate interests.

Also, if you compare food-born illnesses from small-time organic farmers (those who somehow manage to stay out of the red) with Monsanto-based farmers, you'll see something that will make you really wonder who all these regulations are protecting.

If there is a company that I had to point my finger at and say "Yep, those are the guys who are going to destroy our way of life", it's them. Their goals are to make sure you cannot grow anything without their seeds which only live one generation so you have to keep buying more. Subsidies and regulations have done the very opposite of what they were supposed to do.

And the regulations that do happen to get in their way, they knock down. As you can see here.

edit on 2-6-2011 by Cuervo because: addendum

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The Tea Party and the GOP wanted deregulation now here it is, live and in living colour. The White House, The US Federal Gov't is not pushing this but TPTB and no one else, get your facts straight.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join