It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenn. passes bill that makes it illegal to share your netflix account

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Good for them.

Anyone looking to get over or past an entire 9 dollars a month is nothing more than a loser.
How can anyone complain about abiding by the rules? If you don't like or agree to the terms and conditions, then cancel your Netflix account. Seriously guys, it's 9 dollars.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

According to what I've read the bill is meant to go after people who abuse the account. However, the language isn't clear. As the bill is written now, you can theoretically get into trouble just sharing an account between family members or roommates. There is the potential for abuse. It doesn't even mention Netflix's own rules in the matter, which I believe are that the accounts can be shared by a limited number of people.

As far as whining about $9.00 a month. If you have a family of four, each with their own laptop and you're sharing one account, under this bill you can be arrested. So, under this bill, to have complete protection from the law, the amount would be $36.00. And I can see the cable/satellite companies pushing that agenda. One of the reasons they are losing so much money is because Netflix is so affordable for families. This bill can be used to get rid of that competition if lobbyists really wanted to push it.

It isn't just Netflix. It's also ITunes and Rhapsody.

Starting next month it will be a crime in Tennessee to use a friend’s login to live-stream a movie from Netflix, even if that friend gives you permission to do so. That’s because state lawmakers passed a new law this week that makes the state the first in the nation to make it illegal to use someone else’s subscription to online entertainment services like the on-demand video site, the Associated Press reports. The scope of the law, which will go into effect on July 1, remains unclear, but it also appears to extend to music sites like Rhapsody and other Internet media services.

Source

The AP notes that the bill was aimed at computer hackers who sell passwords in bulk, and not necessarily others who simply share their password with a friend, relative or roommate. Nevertheless, the law makes the sharing of login information a crime that can result in jail time for ANYONE (emphasis mine) who violates it.

For example, I have an account. My daughter might live on campus. I want to share it with her and only her. Under this law, as it's written, I can be arrested.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

It would seem, then, that the main issue is the lack of clarity in the law.

Although I do not see how law enforcement would get involved without first being contacted by one of the services. I'm not exactly sure how this would be enforced.... how are these groups going to be routed? Answering that will also provide a better idea of what kinds of abuse risks exist in the current law.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Quite honestly, as a Tennessean, I don't think our legislature planned that far ahead with this thing. It's clearly a special interests' pet project. The way it's written leads me to believe that. I don't understand how it is enforceable either. Someone suggested we go to the sponsoring senator's office, read all his magazines, then inform the police he broke the law by sharing his magazine subscriptions with us. Same principle.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
my mom gives me permission to use hers...I'd love to see them try and bust me for it...let alone prove it...what a joke

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by violence=answer
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

tell me what makes country music so great?
how good are those musicians?
and how does an opinion on country show any authority on anything?

LoL how good are the musicians? Perhaps you should see how many of the musicians are in the guitar hall of fame along side many of the rocker legends......

I would wager an electric guitar player or drummer from country music against any from any of this crap coming out of seattle ANY day........

And how do I know? Because I live here and work in the industry.........

P.s. Youd be surprised just how many of your fav bands musicians came from playing country.......

But your right, what opinion makes a dif..........apparently yours doesnt because it was ignorant and contributed nothing to the thread

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

country sucks...
no tech guitar
and definitely not tech drums
the guitar hall of fame barely has anyone good
and the country list is among its shortest.
the guitar work, bass work, and drum work is at best very basic in country
the only real talented parts are maybe vocals and a structure, so basic and catchy
anyone can repeat it from hearing it once.
that's it, catchy structure.

if you do work in the music industry out in tenn., then you must not be doing that great because in stead of making the music and scene better you bitch about other stuff on a conspiracy site.
if your opinion gives you authority, then why is country not getting any better?
if you can and are making a difference in music, why are you here defending it against someone like me?
do you know what comes out of seattle?

my last question on my last response was to more get the thread back on track and not have to talk about this.
you brought this down by not sticking to the thread subject, and it all started from a one line joke no one should care about.

tenn. has no business telling anyone how and where peoples money can be spent.
i hope you people in tenn. work this problem out and i wish you ALL the best of luck.
why would the government get involved with netflix?
how is it theft if someone gives the codes needed to access the program?
oh... its recording industry officials, like the the apparent official here whose opinion gives musical authority.

so the tenn. music industry is to blame on this...
they must be broke to have to complain about netflix.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
we had a guy who used to eat the entire basket of crackers on the table and our manager would charge him a few dollars for the crackers every time he came in).

What's the point of having the crackers on the table if the people aren't suppossed to eat them? Did they charge for an extra packet of suger in the coffee too?

You and your manager are the problem.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Seriously guys, it's 9 dollars.

Actually, mine is $20. I get 2 unlimited dvds and unlimited watching over the net. Also pay an extra $2 for them to send me blue rays.

The $9 option is ONLY 1 dvd a month with NO internet watching.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by violence=answer

LoL that whole post was full of ignorance.........ill leave it at that.......

You very clearly have NO idea what you are talking about in the music industry......

Go back to playing your xbox kid

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
What is up with all this # going on in Tennessee? I live here for Christ's sake!!!!! DX

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Davian

The last election was the choice between a douche and a turd from the local to the state level. I don't know what's going on here either. They're more interested in private lives and infringing on what teachers can say (even if it becomes necessary) than they are in creating jobs or helping education.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tncryptogal

Why would 4 different people in the same house have a different external IP address?

I would think that is the criteria Netflix would be using. As for your daughter in school, then yes, she could not share the account. Since it's 9 dollars though, wouldn't you just fork it over for her? I really can't agree with the argument of stealing. It isn't sharing when someone on a different internet provider is using your account. In the same houshold is a seperate issue. That is just how I see it. They're giving us a great service in Netflix. We shouldn't destroy an already great service by being greedy.

edit on 11-6-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter

Originally posted by spinalremain
Seriously guys, it's 9 dollars.

Actually, mine is $20. I get 2 unlimited dvds and unlimited watching over the net. Also pay an extra $2 for them to send me blue rays.

The $9 option is ONLY 1 dvd a month with NO internet watching.

Not so sure about that: straight from the Netflix Site:

Your Account Membership Details
• You are currently in the 3 DVDs out at-a-time (Unlimited) plan with unlimited time to watch instantly.
• Your current period price is $19.99 plus any applicable tax. •

Exchange DVDs as often as you want • Watch instantly as often as you want on your PC, Mac, or TV •
Our premium unlimited plans include Starz Play service •
Click here to add Blu-ray access for an additional cost •
1 DVD out at-a-time + unlimited instant watching $9.99 a month •
2 DVDs out at-a-time + unlimited instant watching $14.99 a month •
You are currently on this plan:
• 3 DVDs out at-a-time + unlimited instant watching $19.99 a month

Limited Plans

1 DVD out at-a-time
(limit 2 rentals a month)
$4.99 a month
Watch instantly (up to 2 hours a month) on your PC or Mac
A Netflix ready device cannot be used with this plan
Starz Play and live Starz Play TV channel are not available
Click here to add Blu-ray access for an additional cost

As a matter of fact ALL of their plans include the internet option. The instant view internet only option package is 7.99 a month.
edit on 11-6-2011 by Dreamwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
If Netflix doesn't like how a customer is using/abusing their account, then Netflix can close the account, and ban the credit card.

There is no reason authorities need to get involved over a private contract involving a $9 to $24 monthly bill.

The government is missing the forest for the trees, and that's why it's failing.

edit on 11-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by violence=answer

ask willie nelson or hank williams jr or reeba ,macentire(sp?) or faith hill(not a persnoal fan) but from 2009-2010 she made the most money of any performer on a country tour and she sings country..The top genres in 2007 by percentage of sales:
1) Rock 34%
2) R&B/Urban 11.8%
3) Country 11.5%
4) Rap/Hip-Hop 10.8%
5) Pop 10.7%
6) Religious 3.9%
7) Classical 2.3%
8) Jazz 2.6%

76.74.24.142... rock is still and will probably eternally be king in the usa

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Again, according to Netflix you can share your account with someone else EVEN IF they are not in the same house or have the same IP as you - They encourage it. HOWEVER, only two simultaneous logins by different devices (regardless of IP) can occur - no more than two - Netflix prevents it. Wow Netflix creating thier own policies and enforcing them themselves - how original!

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Another example that shows who rules in America and it ain't you or me as tax payers and voters.

Get it people we are living under corporate dictatorship.

I don't used netflix but I suggest as a matter of protest for people to start dropping from the service.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I dont live in TN so I dont care LOL

top topics

<< 1   >>

join