It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Would they like my own personal pair of handcuffs to lock me up in then? Oh wait there would still be something called reasonable search and seizure, oh wait the constitution is just a living document to be tampered with when see fit without ratification I get it now.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This is one of the most asinine things I've EVER heard!!!! Damn politicians.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
And so the massive suppression of info we have already available begins a whole new level.

Somebody is certainly scared that the word is getting around.

Sounds odd but this could mean things are going the right way in some sense.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well I have done my part, posting the OPs link in as many places as I can.
People need to get the word out and let others know what is going on.
Also, Senators Amy Klobuchar, John Cornyn and Christopher Coons need to be voted out of office.
If the people vote them out, they can't do things like this anymore.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I disagree. If you vote them out, the next guys we vote in will stab us in the back and do it all over again. Like last time and the time before that.

What we need is to gut the government and corporations legal basis for existence. We need to just get all the charters and documents and burn them.

What could possibly go wrong? We already have constant wars globally, over a dozen going on right now. We have countless instances of corporate or government negligence in creating vast ecological pollution disasters. We already go to jail for nothing half the time, without even harming anyone else's liberties. We are already being poisoned in every conceivable way.

I just don't see how things could go any worse off.

The elites are claiming there will be massive food shortages over the next few years.

What could go wrong if we evict them and get rid of the entire system once and for all?

Honestly, I don't see how anything could get worse. This is the edge of the pit already, all that's left is to fall in. I assume if we cut off the dead weight (govt and corporations) that we will not fall into the abyss with them. They are trying to drag us along with them though.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I'm not sure why everyone is jumping to some conclusion that this is meant to throw Youtube Users in Jail....despite the fear mongering from the writer of the article, the intention of the Bill seems quite clear. I'ts meant to close a Loophole in the current copyright law, which allows someone to show performances of a copyrighted piece of art publicly.....It would be if a Bar and Grill decided to start showing Current Movies for free.....They'd get in trouble..yet there is no law like that for the Internet...or at the very least the Law is not specifically set up against that. This law is meant to stop those sites that stream Movies and such over the Internet. I've seen lots of sights like that. This isn't about Youtube users , or Embedding Videos......Everyone can relax. Do you HONESTLY think they would go after some third part that embedded a copyrighted video from Youtube? Why the Hell would they waste that kind of money on a pointless lawsuit they probably wouldn't even win, when they can simply notify Youtube and have the video removed for copyright violation?!?!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
So this what you call democracy? its pretty twisted everyone has a right to download,upload and even embedded videos on any video sites the people want its our right.

America no longer the land of free, i can imagine canada following the same path

These copyright laws are ridiculous and useless.
edit on 1-6-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

First off, this is a Republic. Rule of Law. Not Democracy.
Second, it has moved from a Free Republic, to Facist Corporatism.
So now the big corps tell what the rule of law is going to be.

You don't like it? Tough....................You want to change it....................Fight for it..................

edit on 2-6-2011 by j2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
They're scared of youtube videos..It's so obvious!But why though?If they did nothing wrong then why are they worried?

They're worried because youtube videos are evidence of their bad deeds and they can't pretty well have people watching that now can they?

Remember all those people that said "youtube videos aren't proof"?A video is a video no matter where you watch it!Evidence on video is what they're scared of!

Actions speak louder than words and these actions show that they are worried about youtube videos!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
How dumb!! Anyone that puts up a YouTube video can turn off embed!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogoeiefar
I don't necessarily agree with this, but just to show the other side of the coin. I've got to say the idea behind it, I can't find fault with. Copyright laws are very important to the artists and creators that sometimes work very hard and spend plethoras of money to produce some of the entertainment people are uploading and showing to "audiences" completely free.

So, it's not "butthurt," it's been the law for a very long time and also morally wrong. If you watch an unapproved video on Youtube, part of you knows it shouldn't be there, and if you are familiar with the copyright law description on every movie... ever, then you know it's for private viewing purposes. Not trying to be contrary, I'm just saying that there really is no fault in trying to do something about it... It's completely right and fair.

But to go after regular people isn't the right way to go at all, and it does resemble butthurt. They really need to hold Youtube accountable. That's so obvious. Punishing regular folks will do nothing to stop it. It would in every way be much more effective (time, money, etc-wise) to penalize Youtube.

Quoting this whole post so others who missed it the first time get to read it aain.

I agree, as a struggling musician, sure I'd like my music to be spread to as many people as possible on sites such as Youtube as an example but because I'm not earning the millions in touring, royalties, contracted agreements with record labels, appearances and other endorsements......yeah, taking my music without money going to me for the privilege is downright insulting to my craft and hard work.

Now if you're talking about the major money makers like Warner Music Group then of course leeway should be taken between them and Youtube because while views and such could help contribute to royalties not only to their artists to feed their families but also the label itself to be able to fund scouting for new talent (I don't know much about Youtube's relationship with the music industry so if I'm wrong there, please ignore me).

I singled out WMG there because the amount of times I've wanted to listen to a song on Youtube by an artist on their books only to see the "audio unavailable due to copyright" message really annoys me.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I don't necessarily agree with this, but just to show the other side of the coin. I've got to say the idea behind it, I can't find fault with. Copyright laws are very important to the artists and creators that sometimes work very hard and spend plethoras of money to produce some of the entertainment people are uploading and showing to "audiences" completely free.

So, it's not "butthurt," it's been the law for a very long time and also morally wrong. If you watch an unapproved video on Youtube, part of you knows it shouldn't be there, and if you are familiar with the copyright law description on every movie... ever, then you know it's for private viewing purposes. Not trying to be contrary, I'm just saying that there really is no fault in trying to do something about it... It's completely right and fair.

But to go after regular people isn't the right way to go at all, and it does resemble butthurt. They really need to hold Youtube accountable. That's so obvious. Punishing regular folks will do nothing to stop it. It would in every way be much more effective (time, money, etc-wise) to penalize Youtube.

Yeah, but we're pretty partial to our money that we worked so hard for too. The money they steal from us with horrible music videos and music.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Talk about absolute stupidity...the ONLY person who can be blamed is the person who uploaded the copyrighted material. People who embed it are not going to examine every frame of the video for copyrighted material, and even then, how the f'ing hell would they be able to tell what the person does and does not have copyrights to? It's god damn impossible. The reason laws like this are so stupid is because the people making them are so stupid.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I just embeded my frist youtube video on here the other day heh

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Also, be sure not to forget:

States have an inherent right to self-defense that may be triggered by certain aggressive acts in cyberspace

When warranted, the United States will respond to hostile acts in cyberspace as we would any other threat to our country.

Found Here: Source

Kind of off-topic yes, but it still falls into whole Government policing the internet category.

P.S. - If you don't like the source, well that's unfortunate because they link to a pdf straight from the whitehouse's website.

ETA: Anon certainly embeds a lot of YouTube videos on their website, I wonder how they'll take the news. If they catch wind of it that is.
edit on 2/6/11 by Indecent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by reD3vil
Without reading the article, I'm going to guess that the person that came up with this bill sides with the republicans?

actually two democrats and one reubic. Your bigatory is showing by the way you said you did not read it but it had to be such and such.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
another violation of the people's rights, this isn't right in so many ways. The senate is being manipulated. By who? The one's in power and are corrupt. That would include ETs, which I don't like.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

What's the difference if I quote a line from a book? If 10 people hear me say it, should I got to jail for 5 years? We are already physically in a police state, why should we within the virtual world? Pretty soon death will be our only escape.
edit on 2/6/11 by Indecent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
With the amount I have done - I am going to get a life sentence.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Just another form of control.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Now that's plain wrong... this whole thing about criminalising linked stuff is just about the PTB setting up to be able to snuff out websites and such - a big part of it is all the free movie websites around that index filesharing / streaming sites - without these not many could find the moveis to watch

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join