It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This is what happens when the ultimate goal of our lawmakers is to secure jobs. America spoke. They want jobs, congress responded. This is the result of people being dumb.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ah, so what if I embeded youtube videos years ago and forgot about them? People will fight this, and the feds will be forced to retreat

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
They've gone after the Torrent search engine websites and are closing them down. Strange when all they do is offer people a way to find LINKS (not HOSTED content), yet shouldn't ALL search engines be targeted (Google, Yahoo, Bing etc), as you can find Torrent LINKS via there sites too???

At the rate it's going, I imagine it won't be long before they cook up an excuse to shutdown sites like ATS!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
so this could be used to scare others away from embeding links and creating articles?
how could you be sure that what you were embeding wasnt copy write?
ats would not be the same without the videos

and this will stop the free flow of information
and fill those private jails around the world
i guess they cant stand youtube free speech

xploder

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So, how do we fire all these people?
Firing is something I am for witnessing, in this case.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
i think something like this will inevitably meet the "fair use" proviso. for example, you can quote excerpts from copyrighted material, provided you acknowledge the source of the material, and indicate it appropriately. this sounds more like accusing the television viewer of breaking copyright law, when the thing under dispute is in court over whether it is stolen material.

for example, (fictitious scenario) a screenwriter writes a screenplay and submits it to a movie studio. later, the movie studio uses the screenplay of the screenwriter, makes a few modifications, and doesn't credit the screenwriter or reimburse him for his efforts. the screenwriter then takes the movie studio to court and wins. (end of fictitious scenario)

in the case presented by the youtube issue in the OP, every person who viewed the tv show would suddenly, also be guilty of copyright infringement.

edit on 2-6-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Welcome to the People Republic of Amerika people.

People in Europe need to commit a violent robbery to get 5 years in jail...

What's next? death penalty for shoplifting? or should we just chop the hands off like some our Arab friends.

Get the @#%! out of here Senators, keep dreaming, we will always remain a free country or we will die for it...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

A quote comes to mind. Oddly enough it comes from one of the great if not THE great musicians of all time, John Lennon.

"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it."

Well, now days, I guess that quote should be updated. Publishers, spoiled and over produced pop singers and senators think music can be owned by a single person.

Music is a thought, expressed. Can we own a thought? I don't think so. Music is something different to different people. Some can go outside and listen to the wind, and other sounds of nature and hear beautiful music. Who owns that? Everyone.

These laws are getting crazy and I just hope one day, we get some one in government who actually is capable of telling the truth, remaining in touch with people and reality and who is not entirely corrupt.

Again, to quote John Lennon, in regards to the above paragraph " You may say, I'm a dreamer, but I am not the only one. I hope some day, you will join us, and the world will live as one".

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Another example: The song MY SWEET LORD, by George Harrison. there was a big legal dispute over copyright infringement, as the melody of the song, bore some resemblance to an older song by a different musical group. The OP article suggests that even listening to the song, implies criminal negligence on the part of the viewer/listener

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The ability to embed youtube video in commentary is fundamental to the exercise of the 1st Amendment. This is why the Library of Congress ruled that DVDs could even be broken for educational purposes. For a society to remain free and open then the free flow of commentary about information is necessary. Are we surprised that some of our Congress is being taken over by communists and information dictators? It is just that these politicians hate to be quoted and the video doesn't lie like they do.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The private prison system is big business, baby. They are just creating more, uh... customers. I wonder how many of them have an interest in the private prisons. Next thing you know, smoking pot will be a criminal offense.

/sarcasm

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Next thing you know, no more public forums on the internet and all forms of commenting will be disabled and removed. No more emailing too!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
To even get a proposed bills introduced into the House or Senate, money has changed hands somewhere...Look to the lobbyist. This is not a Senator's or a Representative's idea. It was likely brought to their office by someone or a group of people who want this bill passed. MONEY... Follow the money, or what's left of it..

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Next thing you know, no more public forums on the internet and all forms of commenting will be disabled and removed. No more emailing too!

We are losing the internet bit by bit. Will we even have an internet in 5 or 10 years?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I think this is one of those things, that is never going to really happen. Like most of the stuff on this site....
but I'm glad to see that the two parties can come together on this
It is nice to see when it comes to stripping away freedoms, they can work across the isle.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by reD3vil
Without reading the article, I'm going to guess that the person that came up with this bill sides with the republicans?

You'd be wrong.
Amy Klobuchar wrote the bill. She is a Dem.
Co-sponsors are John Cornyn, Rep. and Chris Coons, a Dem.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It seems like they're taking on a fool's errand right now with proposed legislation like this. The internet is likely the best pacifier for society than anything out there, and there they go making their best effort to tear it away. (Part of that is because the net is a great equalizer. You don't necessarily need money to be heard or garner status. For the majority of things, false scarcity doesn't exist under its domain. Perhaps this is why many consider it one of the last bastions of true freedom.) Were they even paying attention to Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, Libya, and Yemen? Or is that really what they want here too?

Anyhow there's some laundry that needs to be aired, and from the reports on CNN lately, it sounds as if the likes of Anonymous have began taking it to task. Hopefully they dig up some good stuff, because we really do need it made obvious as to who is being represented right now. (I guess too many forgot why the colonies broke away from Britain at one point in time and started these United States. For all that legal schooling - as most were lawyers at some point, they must have slept through the history classes. Looks like we're going back to square one.)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by EspyderMan

I doubt ANY of those artists are starving..

Also youtube is responsible for those who post copyrighted information not the whole of the community. They should go after those who post the this kind of material.

Personally I only post videos I shoot myself

I have seen many videos posted where they take the sound off because it's copyrighted, why not just delete the video?

the irony is that most of them probably are going to be starving one day because the money that was advanced to them which pays for their meals will need to be paid back with money from sales that aren't going to happen. As a musician who doesn't create music that can be easily reproduced live I can't see a financial future in it for me unless a track gets picked up for a film & I get royaties, except I won't because everyone will download the movie too.

therefore I expect many electronic artists to never be able to expand beyond 'hobbyist' status.

For e.g. James Blake live doesn't compare to James Blake in the studio & imho won't any time soon, the production done on his music is too complex & technical for a live situation. Also we've had 20+ years of djs, its getting boring to see, we need more from a live gig.

its sad but aside from the virtually non-existant minute fraction of a percent of people that don't download music without paying for it, we're all to blame.

-Bob

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Whats even more ridiculous is that embedding music videos actually promotes the artist.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie
Sure they do. They want to put everyone in jail. You're so difficult to control when you're not locked behind bars in a tiny cell supervised by armed guards.

Are we? Really? Because if we are so hard to control, how did the world get to the point it is today?

I dont see any other way than complete control of the masses, this just adds another cherry on top of their huge green and gold pie.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join