It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by something wicked

i understand that people need to be paid for their labor. i'm not saying what he thinks i'm saying. what i'm saying is, the law makes it sound like linking to videos of any kind is potentially dangerous to your well being. how do you know if any part is copyrighted? news broadcasts? musical pieces. art work. sure, it helps the piece gain fans and potential customers, but as long as there are no jobs, potential customers will remain potential.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

no no no, you even said, if the material gives the person notoreity. notoreity doesn't necessarily mean money. it could just mean people acknowledge that you know alot about a subject, for example, and to prove you do, you've linked to videos, art works, whatever. it's really dangerous territory you're treading on.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Section31

go back 30 years. you've just purchased an album by your favorite music group. you bring it home and everyone in the house gets to hear it, including any friends of yours

There is your flaw.

"Thirty (30) years ago" the internet did not stretch across the globe. When people were sharing music in the 70s, 80s, and 90s (also recording from the radio), the distance a cassette recording would go from its point of origin was only minute. BIG difference in scale.

Second, copyright infringement is about using someone's personal creation in a documentary, video, or anything else, without permission, and then gaining some type of notoriety from the act. Notoriety equals but not limited to online recognition and offline recognition.

Another form of infringement is to slap your logo on another person's piece of work, and then sell it with your brand name on another company's product. If you did your research on this topic, you would have found out that there is a major black market for this in China.

So... No, you really do not know what this topic is about.

edit on 6/3/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

online recognition,

do you realize how many people have linked to and embedded all manner of copyrighted material to support theories on this website? and how flexible the phrase "online recognition" is?

"Holey rusted metal Batman!" - Robin to Batman, Batman Forever

edit on 3-6-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

online recognition,

do you realize how many people have linked to and embedded all manner of copyrighted material to support theories on this website? and how flexible the phrase "online recognition" is? holey rusted metal batman.

Stealing is stealing.

Even though a large amount of people are doing a specific action, the sudden influx does not suddenly turn an immoral act into a moral one. Imagine if a million people started to carry out acts of murder. Does that suddenly make murder legal and moral?

"Holey rusted metal Batman!" - Robin to Batman, Batman Forever

Interesting. Thanks for bringing up another point.

When you are writing an essay professionally (or book), you need to cite the origin of the materials you use. Did you also know that you need to have permission by those authors? Why do you think we are taught how to use citations in college? If you reference a specific book, article, or journal, you need to use citation in you college essays. Why? Its all about copyright protection and validating your work with reliable sources.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

How do we get from someone trying to prove a theory using
evidence available on the internet to murder?

So my thread, STARGATES ARE REAL, should be removed due to copyright violation, since it gleaned me some notoreity, based on information not only available in public domain but also in the private sector, such as linking to videos of the stargate movie or tv show, photographs of movie stars shaking hands with air force generals. and all i have to do is gain notoreity from it, to be gaining something of value. i dunno, sounds pretty shaky to me. don't think you could convince the young people who commited suicide because they gained notoreity on facebook and had people harrassing them night and day, that it was something of value to be notorious.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

You missed the logic. I get it.

Its all about moral behavior. Even though a large group of people are carrying out an immoral behavior, the end result does not suddenly make the act become moral.

Stealing is still stealing.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

no no no, you even said, if the material gives the person notoreity. notoreity doesn't necessarily mean money. it could just mean people acknowledge that you know alot about a subject, for example, and to prove you do, you've linked to videos, art works, whatever. it's really dangerous territory you're treading on.

I've linked to web sites that talk about why what some people think are representations of ET craft, but as far as I'm aware, the images shown are in the public domain. I'm not aware I've ever linked to a copyrighted video on ATS, could you help me out with that?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Did you also know that you need to have permission by those authors?

What about excerpts and quotes? What, did they throw out the Fair Use thing ?
this doesn't sound right.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

it's a theory. how do i present a theory without data?
this is sounding worse all the time.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

So my thread, STARGATES ARE REAL, should be removed due to copyright violation, since it gleaned me some notoreity, based on information not only available in public domain but also in the private sector, such as linking to videos of the stargate movie or tv show, photographs of movie stars shaking hands with air force generals. and all i have to do is gain notoreity from it, to be gaining something of value. i dunno, sounds pretty shaky to me. don't think you could convince the young people who commited suicide because they gained notoreity on facebook and had people harrassing them night and day, that it was something of value to be notorious.

I'm sorry, why does that make you notorious? If you are linking to official stargate sites then there is no issue, not sure what you think movie stars shaking hands with air force officials is all about - should they not shake hands, if faced with each other should they do something else? I can't see where you are trying to go with this.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

I've linked to web sites that talk about why what some people think are representations of ET craft, but as far as I'm aware, the images shown are in the public domain. I'm not aware I've ever linked to a copyrighted video on ATS, could you help me out with that?

If the site owners have a copyright statement (at the bottom of the page), you can read it to find out what rights they do give you. Its all about what type of rights the copyright owners allow people to have.

Example: Space.com and NASA.gov have disclosure statements, which give visitors permission to use their imagery and articles. As long as you follow their guidelines (on how to use their materials), you are allowed to repost or quote their documents.

Always check the copyright permissions and guidelines on individual sites.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

it's the theoretical "you", like john doe. there's tons of data on ATS that is from copyrighted material.
this is not a good scenario at all.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Section31

Originally posted by something wicked

If the site owners have a copyright statement (at the bottom of the page), you can read it to find out what rights they do give you. Its all about what type of rights the copyright owners allow people to have.

Example: Space.com and NASA.gov have disclosure statements, which give visitors permission to use their imagery and articles. As long as you follow their guidelines, you are allowed to repost or quote their documents. Always check the copyright permissions on individual sites.

Absolutely, not that I'm aware I've ever linked to any of them.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Your answer:: Link: MGM Studios's Copyrights: Terms & Services
Origin Link: Main Stargate Page At MGM.com

(3) OWNERSHIP AND RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF MATERIALS.

The Service is owned and operated by MGM in conjunction with our affiliates, licensors, licensees, partners, and others pursuant to contractual arrangements. You may not copy, reproduce, republish, modify, create derivative works of, upload, download, perform, display, post, transmit, distribute or otherwise use materials from the Service in any way, without the prior written permission of a duly authorized MGM employee, except you may download one copy of such material on any single computer for your personal, non-commercial home use only, provided you keep intact, without change, all intellectual property and other proprietary notices.

Unless the copyright owner gives you permission, you could defiantly be violating their rights to protect their products.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

well just to give you an idea. someone posted an excerpt from the stargate movie on youtube. i embedded the video on my thread. you still have to go to youtube to watch it. but it's not the whole thing. there's also a youtube link to the director's cut of the movie, but it doesn't contain the entire film. there's also a link to a website that pays for people watching tv shows and films by making you watch commercials inbetween sections, just like on TV. , and i linked to their stargate sg1 tv series on there and it's making them money, presumably the stargate franchise itself benefits from it. i thought all this press and theorizing and hypothesizing brought THEM notoreity, not the person reporting on it. the only way the writer gains notoreity is if they gain money for their efforts, which i have not, although THEY (the stargate franchise) have surely benefitted from the interest the thread has drummed up.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

from the Service

what service? i dunno. sounds like you're trying to freak me out.
should i ask ATS to remove the thread? (i know alot of people who hate it, and alot who like it, and still more who don't care either way).

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The whining artist need to shut up and realize when people embed their videos somewhere, they are getting free publicity.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

what service? i dunno. sounds like you're trying to freak me out.
should i ask ATS to remove the thread? (i know alot of people who hate it, and alot who like it, and still more who don't care either way).

You didn't read their terms of service.

Link: MGM's: Terms of Use

Last revised July 16th, 2007
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS OF USE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS WEB SITE.
This web site (the "Site") is owned by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. or one of its subsidiary or affiliated companies, including Orion Pictures Corporation and United Artists Films Inc. (collectively, "MGM" or "we", "us" or "our"). The Site, any software used to operate the Site, the Downloads (as defined below), user-created content, advertising, communications from the Site and any and all other content, products, services, features and information that MGM offers to users on the Site may be referred to herein collectively as the "Service" (and any reference to the Service herein shall be understood to mean the Service as a whole or any portion thereof). MGM provides the Service subject to your compliance with the terms and conditions set forth in this Terms of Use (the "Agreement"). This Agreement is made between MGM and you, as a Site visitor and/or member ("you"). In addition, when using particular services or features of the Service, you shall be subject to any additional guidelines or rules applicable to such services or features that may be posted from time to time (including terms and conditions related to any purchase you may make on the Site and your use of any message boards, chat rooms, blogs or similar forums that may be available on the Site). To the extent there is a conflict between this Agreement and the terms of any additional guidelines or rules, the additional guidelines or rules will control, unless the additional guidelines or rules expressly state that this Agreement will control. In cases where there are no additional guidelines or rules, this Agreement will control.

By using the Service, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you do not agree to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, please do not use the Service. We reserve the right at any time to change the terms of this Agreement. Any changes we make will be effective immediately on notice, which we may give either by posting the new Agreement on the Site or via electronic mail. Your use of the Service after such notice will be deemed acceptance of such changes. Be sure to review this Agreement periodically to ensure your familiarity with the most current version. Please also review our Privacy Policy.

Other words, they can sue you for violating their services and terms. Laws such as the one the senators are trying to implement are important, so that copyright material owners can protect their products.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

but i don't use their website. i just quote from sections of the film, embed video excerpts, link to their tv series on a commercial site (that i'm assuming must be on the up and up because it's just like watching tv, commercials and the whole ball of wax and they have most tv shows on there) but mostly the thread isn't even about the tv show or movie, it just happens to keep cropping up because it mentions so many things that i personally found in real ancient texts, and modern day science.

anyway, the point is, if it's a violation, i want it removed. i don't want to spend 5 years in prison and/or pay 250,000 dollars for having a theoretical mind and using available data on the internet to prove my points.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join