It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buckle up in your car or get a ticket, yet motorcylists don't have to wear helmets?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
...but as an adult I am responsible for what happens to me not the state not the federal government, nobody else.

You do realize being restrained gives you better opportunity to control your own car - - in case something happens.

By controlling your own car - - you are less likely to cause harm to those outside your vehicle or another vehicle.

So - - it really isn't just about you.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

You're totally missing the point of my thread.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

One extreme to another. I don't know what to make of it. I don't support the seatbelt laws for adults, because it's just really a cash cow. But, I also support them legalizing all drugs.
I am beginning to think that the depopulation idea (conspiracy) is a bunch pf hoohoo...wouldn't it make sense if they want to depoplulate, they would let meth be legal (and all other illicit drugs) and let everyone choose whether or not to protect their safety. Depopulation Myth: BUSTED!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
reply to post by ldyserenity

A quick google search showed many results for seat belt statistics. I found none that are close to your fifty fifty that you are stating as fact. Simple research people!

Statistics are BS ... know an EMT?
I suggest you ask an EMT.

And I know EMTs in Los Angeles.

Yes I have talked to them. Wear your seatbelt.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

...but as an adult I am responsible for what happens to me not the state not the federal government, nobody else.

You do realize being restrained gives you better opportunity to control your own car - - in case something happens.

By controlling your own car - - you are less likely to cause harm to those outside your vehicle or another vehicle.

So - - it really isn't just about you.

Actually I feel it restricts my range of motion. Especially since when I hit my breaks every time every every time the damn seatbelt will not move (restrainig me) and I can barely reach my steering wheel cause it has me plastered to the damn seat. Yes I am short, I have short arms and my seat doesn't move close enough to the wheel for me. I even use a pillow but when the seatbelt locks I cannot barely make a turn much less have control. And this isn't stomping the break either, this is with normal breaking.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hopefully this has not already been posted and I missed it. I live in South Carolina which has seat belt laws but no helmet law. People driving motorcycles get killed a dime a dozen here in South Carolina. It's often not the fault of the driver of the motorcycle, sometimes it is. People don't see them or pull out in front of or collide with them. They often die or get serious injuries. I heard the reasoning behind making seat belts mandatory was that you should be free to choose as you wish except when your freedom causes everyone else to pay up with higher insurance premiums. I heard the argument that those not wearing seat belts in vehicles were raising the insurance premiums for everyone else. They made the seat belt law mandatory. I suppose the same group that made that law could support a mandatory helmet law but I don't know if a helmet law would impact car insurance rates. Hopefully it doesn't and the very vocal group of motorcyclists who don't want to wear a helmet can have their right to die and get injured as they wish. Over half the highway deaths in South Carolina happen to people not wearing seat belts. Seat belt use is going up. Those not wearing them are getting killed off. Some are just getting more educated and saving their lives and buckling up.

Note: I did not wear a helmet when bicycling for years. I talked to someone about occasionally bicycling over 45 mph. He talked me into wearing a helmet. It felt funny at first and I didn't care for it a whole lot. Then one day I had an accident and had a head injury. I believe the helmet either saved my life or stopped me from having a serious brain injury. The helmet was dented as I fell head first onto concrete. The strange thing about the whole thing was that I was barely moving but I guess when your head hits something hard, you want protection. My front wheel came loose and down I went. A lot of people are hard headed and don't want to be told to do something that is for their own safety. I'm ok with their freedom to choose as they wish as long as it's not costing me a lot of extra cash. In a more free world, all the extra insurance premiums would be paid by those not wearing seat belts and those that wore them would get a lot cheaper rates. I would be ok with that change.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite
reply to post by ldyserenity

A quick google search showed many results for seat belt statistics. I found none that are close to your fifty fifty that you are stating as fact. Simple research people!

Statistics are BS ... know an EMT?
I suggest you ask an EMT.

And I know EMTs in Los Angeles.

Yes I have talked to them. Wear your seatbelt.

Well to be fair nothing is going to save you from a gunshot fired into your car in rush hour traffic.

Just kidding.
Seriously though It's not my governments right to choose IT'S MINE where it comes to my adult body...for kids the government has to just because stupid people are being able to survive and procreate thanks to the government nannies.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by zookey

I agree. I'm not a crazy driver, I don't speed and I always drive defensively. The only moving accident I was involved in was when I was in college. I was t-boned while trying to make it across a 3 lane highway. Other than that I've had 32 years of no moving violations or accidents (knock on wood) and an occasional parking ticket.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

In regards to the insurance laws...also I think they're unconstitutional, but nobody who is dumb enough to have no sealtbelt and take no responsibility for themselves should be able to sue either. I believe everybody should be responsible for themselves (self reliant). OMG what a novel idea!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Seriously though It's not my governments right to choose IT'S MINE where it comes to my adult body...for kids the government has to just because stupid people are being able to survive and procreate thanks to the government nannies.

Do I get a vote on you procreating?

I hate seatbelts. But I want drivers to have the most control of their cars as possible. Seatbelts keep you in your seat - - and your hands in access to the steering wheel.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bert666

I agree that life isn't fair and most of the time it's out of our control. But our government shouldn't be enacting unfair laws in order to receive federal state funds.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Do I get a vote on you procreating?

I hate seatbelts. But I want drivers to have the most control of their cars as possible. Seatbelts keep you in your seat - - and your hands in access to the steering wheel.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

You obviously didn't read my post about how the seatbelt infringes on me reaching my steering wheel as I have to get an old car that the seat doesn't adjust properly and have short arms. Obviously you read only what you want to read. So I am done here.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think that seat belt laws were created with revenue generation in mind, the reason being , if it was about safety they would require children in school buses to wear seat belts. Since they are not able to fine the children they dont pursue that angle.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsingi
I think that seat belt laws were created with revenue generation in mind, the reason being , if it was about safety they would require children in school buses to wear seat belts. Since they are not able to fine the children they dont pursue that angle.

Excellent point!!!!
Some people just don't get it.
They'd rather think it's some BS safety law.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Like I said before it is still a choice you as an informed adult have the power to not wear a seatbelt. You may be stopped and fined but you are just incurring the consequences of you actions. All of this fuss over a seatbelt is ridiculous. By this logic maybe you should fight the laws that made airbags a standard saftey feauture. I mean what right does the government have to say you must have an airbag in your car to ensure your safety. As for cellphone laws this is a bit different in that people using cellphones actually cause accidents. However car companies have since started putting bluetooths in cars so that you can talk on the phone hands free.....so you still have the freedom to talk on the phone. Safety laws help society...but by your logic maybe we should make drunk driving legal....also want to add that violating seatbelt laws get you nothing more than a mild slap on the wrist. You make it seem as though you would get jail time or lose the ability to drive....not the case. You are being overdramatic

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well if you would like to see why seatbelt laws are unconstitutional.

Article 1 sec 8 para 3.
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and
with the Indian Tribes;

The interstate commerce clause. How are they violating it? The states with seat belts laws are infringing on your right to non interference free interstate commerce. That is a federal power to regulate interstate commerce. And when it is not exercised it belongs to the individual. And as such is a violation of the 9th and the 14th amendments of the US constitution.

Amendment 9
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed
to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment 14
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge
the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;

Iowa seat belt law. for example.

Link

1. Except for motorcycles or motorized bicycles, 1966 model year or newer motor vehicles subject to registration in Iowa shall be equipped with safety belts and safety harnesses which conform with federal motor vehicle safety standard numbers 209 and 210 as published in 49 C.F.R. § 571.209--571.210 and with prior federal motor vehicle safety standards for seat belt assemblies and seat belt assembly anchorages applicable for the motor vehicle's model year.

2. The driver and front seat occupants of a type of motor vehicle which is subject to registration in Iowa, except a motorcycle or a motorized bicycle, shall each wear a properly adjusted and fastened safety belt or safety harness any time the vehicle is in forward motion on a street or highway in this state except that a child under six years of age shall be secured as required under section 321.446.

They are dictating the products you can use and how they are to be used. Federal powers.

A seat belt law would have to be a federal code enforced by federal officers and the fines paid to the federal government.

That's why seat belt laws enforced by states are unconstitutional.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsingi

Not everything is a conspiracy.

I think this is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Why school buses don't have seatbelts (although some do) - - is completely unrelated to why regular drivers are required to wear seatbelts.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by zookey
Ask yourself why you are driving the way you are that requires you to wear a seatbelt.

Wearing a seatbelt does not stop dangerious driving.

However, you can always fit your own multi-point static harness instead of the 3 point reactionary belt.

That way wherever the seat goes, you go. no need for airbags.

What is wrong with driving carefully and slow? Must you race about?

Many times people have overtaken me in rage and at speed and I meet them 2 minutes later at the next lights.

It is very rare I even get close to the speed limit at all except on motorways and even then sometimes I am below it.

Even when overtaking, unless I really need to, I don't because usually I don't need to.

I do like sitting at the speed limit or below it where known static speed cameras sit. oh yeah rage past me. FLASH.

edit on 29-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

I agree people do run about at 85mph with their hair on fire for no reason; it not only exponentially increases the energy ;hence the damage; from any accident it also dramatically Decreases reaction time and traction available to avoid accidents.
Seatbelt use is a requirement in the u.s.military ( on or off base).
People seriously underestimate the forces involved:
You commonly hear:" I don't need a seatbelt; I can support myself with my hands planted on the dashboard!

Heres an experiment. Put both arms straight out in front of you. Run at your full speed( 4mph?)blindly at a concrete wall try to stop yourself see what happens to your arms and face! then exponentially multiply that up to 20mph or 30 or 40mph.( F= mv^2. Force= mass x VELOCITY ( SQUARED) ) It doesn't take much change in velocity to have a massive increase in the forces generated.

edit on 29-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
As for cellphone laws this is a bit different in that people using cellphones actually cause accidents. However car companies have since started putting bluetooths in cars so that you can talk on the phone hands free.....so you still have the freedom to talk on the phone. Safety laws help society...but by your logic maybe we should make drunk driving legal....also want to add that violating seatbelt laws get you nothing more than a mild slap on the wrist. You make it seem as though you would get jail time or lose the ability to drive....not the case. You are being overdramatic

REPEAT: SAFETY LAWS HELP SOCIETY

I've read statistics on cell phones causing accidents - - and its relatively low. Although high amongst teenagers texting while driving.

The number 1 cause I believe was changing the radio station or other form of music.

Eating while driving was higher then cell phone usage.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

reply to post by 46ACE

Really cause I know someone who was thrown clear of their vehicle and had they not been thrown clear of the car (which was mutilated by another vehicle) would have been mulitated along with their body, so they had injuries but they were not dead. Sometimes it causes death too, but still it's 50/50... so it's no better or worse either way.
edit on 29-5-2011 by ldyserenity because: missing words ahhh hate when I think faster than I type

And if he(she?) went head first into a telephone pole tree or fence or oncoming traffic lane he'd be flatout ( bug splat on the windshield) d-e-a-d.

Admit it: he/ she was incredibly lucky as they did not choose the moment; speed;n or direction they were ejected.
edit on 29-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join