It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Buckle up in your car or get a ticket, yet motorcylists don't have to wear helmets?

page: 1
2
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Some states have passed primary or secondary seat belt laws. At the same time some of these same states don't require motorcyclists to wear helmets.

Here's my beef, why should I be ticketed if I decide not to wear my seat belt in my car? Yet a motorcyclist that doesn't even have air bags, laminated glass or a shell around the biker doesn't have to wear a helmet?

So I guess my state government is trying to tell me my car is less safe than a motorcycle? I always Wondered if I was pulled over for not wearing my seat belt if I could fight the law and ticket in a court of law.

Anyone here at ATS have any legal background that can shed some light on this issue? I believe people should decide for themselves about being safe or not. I understand bikers have a choice of wearing a helmet or not. Why than shouldn't automobile drivers? This law seems biased and really bugs the hell out of me.


States With Seat Belt Laws

Motorcycle Helmet Laws State-by-State




posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Lots of times helmets cause deaths in motorcycle accidents. It should be up to the rider.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Motorcyclists also die more.
2cents



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
more people drive cars than do motorcycles.

it should be my choice if i want to wear a seatbelt or not

just tptb stripping our freedoms away a little at a time so we get used to it.

fascists



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons
 


The arbitrary and capricious nature of traffic regulations began long before seat belt laws. They began the moment the states began insisting that driving is a "privilege and not a right". Anyone willing to contractually agree that they have no right to drive and apply instead for the privilege of driving should just be grateful they were given the privilege they asked for and comply with the rules and regulations of the club that gave them the privilege of membership.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Not in this state you will get a ticket for not wearing a helmet on a bike and or motorcycle here, and there is debate about adding Four and three wheelers to that list.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons
 


because its cheaper for everyone if they die on impact..... In cars your chance of living is so high that its about reducing injury.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons
 


Maybe you should talk to your state rep about it, what the hell am I going to do for you?

Agree: You're absolutely right, something should be done. *do nothing*
Disagree: Cars are more likely to crush you if you fly out during a rollover. Get over it. *Alienate/belittle you and do nothing*



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons
 


I don't think anyone has got the right answer yet, so I'll take a swing. The reason for these traffic laws is because of federal program grants. States that have laws for seatbelt laws and enforce this get federal tax dollars. Because it is so simple for officers to enforce, it is a no-brainer that states jump on the bandwagon to get the tax dollars. Motorcycle helmet laws though do not get federal monies. So each state does it different. We have a ton of laws that states will pass simply because there is federal money given to do so.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatitanimulli
Lots of times helmets cause deaths in motorcycle accidents. It should be up to the rider.


The same can be said of wearing a seatbelt.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
So I guess my state government is trying to tell me my car is less safe than a motorcycle? I always Wondered if I was pulled over for not wearing my seat belt if I could fight the law and ticket in a court of law.


I hate wearing a seatbelt and it pisses me off - - there is a law that I have to wear one.

However - - loosing control of a car endangers others.

Usually - - loosing control of a motorcycle endangers the rider.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
They have no right to make you wear a seatbelt or a helmet.
Both of these laws are unconstitutional.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I dunno...

I've seen both pro and con on the helmet issue. I have a friend who was a biker. He was hit by a small truck and slid head first into the curb. If he didn't have his helmet on he would have cracked his head open like an egg but his helmet prevented that from happening but, it contributed to him breaking his neck which severed his spinal cord. He's now paralyzed from the neck down...

So who knows.

As far as wearing a seat belt goes. I wear one. I was in a bad accident about 10 years ago and I would have gone through the windshield if I didn't have it on.

Ultimately it's up to you.

ETA: I've also heard quite a few people argue that they a great drivers and are very careful so they shouldn't need to wear a seat belt. I always remind them that serious accidents are often caused by the "OTHER" guy/gal who is not such a good/careful driver...
edit on 29-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Because more revenue is collected by revenue enforcement agents through seat belt tickets than would be generated from motorcycle riders not wearing helmets. Plus, it also gives revenue enforcement agents another reason to detain you and look for other revenue extraction infractions to "help keep us safe."



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
IMHO, you're flipping retarded if you don't have a five point race harness in place of your seatbelt, but thats just my humble opinion.

ETA: Look at the way the people AROUND you drive before flaming me.
edit on 5/29/11 by TokiTheDestroyer because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons
 


"I believe people should decide for themselves about being safe or not."

I find it a little odd that some people would willingly choose to disregard using safety features. Todays vehicles are the culmination of what manufacturers, insurers & regulators have learned the hard way. From years of people suffering painful, life-changing mishaps. Bloody wrecks. Death.

In my youth I was way more wreckless than I am now. It's not unusual for young fellows to feel like they are bullet-proof, to use a phrase. It is the responsibility of older people who have matured into understanding the perils and lessons of life to lead by example and to help guide the young along safely on their journey.

That there are laws in place where common sense should serve to dictate logic tells us a lot about people. We really don't always do what is most well for us. I've been eating poorly for a long time, for example, and just recently became disgusted with my own habits, size and shape. So I'm trying to do better. Makes me wonder how many of us in the Land of Plenty will begin to resemble a farm animal before a law-maker says enough is enough and proposes Eating Laws. Absurd? You bet it is. Meanwhile we see articles about overweight Americans almost daily. We don't always do what is best. Look at the size of school children these days. Adults, parents and guardians don't always lead by example.

On the other hand, a person 'of age' may purchase and consume all the hard liquor they want, drink themselves right to death quickly or slowly, no matter. So perhaps you've a very valid point. Let us risk our necks as we please and we can pay the price when the time comes. I do know from personal experience what it is like to be cock-sure I'm never going to crash my car. I got to taste my own blood as a passenger in a car accident instead.

--- Another poster mentioned using helmets in four wheel vehicles and I'll admit I thought of that long ago myself. Roll / anti-crash bar cages, too. We see high speed race car drivers walk away from spectacular crashes on TV, it's amazing.
Meanwhile cash-strapped working folks are flying down the highways daily in tiny gas-sippers that provide little protection for the sake of saving a buck. It's dangerous and elitist to deny safety features to people who cannot afford a Mercedes or BMW automobile. I know life isn't fair but thats no reason to treat working class folks like sub-standard beings.

-- Another poster mentioned how state government treats driving as a privilege and not a right. They are correct, that notion is ridiculous. It is the tax-paying citizens that pick up the tab for the incredible amount of paved miles we have across the USA. We darn sure have a right to use them. As if most people outside of properly equipped cities could get to work or bring home groceries without a motor vehicle. Perhaps it's just a matter of semantics for legal purposes, I don't know. I know I don't agree with it, and I think the privilege/right bit should be addressed and changed.



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It's all about generating money to keep the machine oiled that enslaves us.
That and it exerts a certain amount of compliance from the populace.

It certainly is not about safety, because why would they raise the limits on radiation if they were concerned about our safety.

Hmm let's see.. Do nothing about the current safe levels of radiation and stop the sale of contaminated food which would deprive them of huge amounts of tax revenue not to mention the added cost of enforcement and testing. Or raise the levels so none of that has to take place.

You do the math. It's always about the all mighty dollar... always....



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
Some states have passed primary or secondary seat belt laws. At the same time some of these same states don't require motorcyclists to wear helmets.

Here's my beef, why should I be ticketed if I decide not to wear my seat belt in my car? Yet a motorcyclist that doesn't even have air bags, laminated glass or a shell around the biker doesn't have to wear a helmet?

So I guess my state government is trying to tell me my car is less safe than a motorcycle? I always Wondered if I was pulled over for not wearing my seat belt if I could fight the law and ticket in a court of law.

Anyone here at ATS have any legal background that can shed some light on this issue? I believe people should decide for themselves about being safe or not. I understand bikers have a choice of wearing a helmet or not. Why than shouldn't automobile drivers? This law seems biased and really bugs the hell out of me.


States With Seat Belt Laws

Motorcycle Helmet Laws State-by-State


a car is a lethal weapon it will do more damage than a bike if you slam the brakes on and you haven't got a belt on expect to face plant the windscreen



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogwomp
It's all about generating money to keep the machine oiled that enslaves us.
That and it exerts a certain amount of compliance from the populace.

It certainly is not about safety, because why would they raise the limits on radiation if they were concerned about our safety.

Hmm let's see.. Do nothing about the current safe levels of radiation and stop the sale of contaminated food which would deprive them of huge amounts of tax revenue not to mention the added cost of enforcement and testing. Or raise the levels so none of that has to take place.

You do the math. It's always about the all mighty dollar... always....


its fore safety m8 not money the biggest danger to bikers is people in cars not seeing them



posted on May, 29 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I dunno...

I've seen both pro and con on the helmet issue. I have a friend who was a biker. He was hit by a small truck and slid head first into the curb. If he didn't have his helmet on he would have cracked his head open like an egg but his helmet prevented that from happening but, it contributed to him breaking his neck which severed his spinal cord. He's now paralyzed from the neck down...

So who knows.

As far as wearing a seat belt goes. I wear one. I was in a bad accident about 10 years ago and I would have gone through the windshield if I didn't have it on.

Ultimately it's up to you.

ETA: I've also heard quite a few people argue that they a great drivers and are very careful so they shouldn't need to wear a seat belt. I always remind them that serious accidents are often caused by the "OTHER" guy/gal who is not such a good/careful driver...
edit on 29-5-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

that's why they wear neck braces and helmets when racing m8 to stop neck damage



new topics

top topics



 
2
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join