It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Prisoners Forced to Play World of Warcraft, Detainee Says

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Chinese Prisoners Forced to Play World of Warcraft, Detainee Says

www.foxnews.com

A former prisoner of a Chinese labor camp claims guards are forcing detainees to play online games as part of a huge money-making scam.

Liu Dali told The Guardian website that guards traded the credits inmates built up playing games such as World of Warcraft for money.

"The computers were never turned off."

"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labor," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk
consumerist.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I bet this sounds like heaven to some of the extreme World of Warcraft addicts out there. I wonder what happens when Blizzard bans the accounts, do the inmates get punished? I've heard of "businesses" where people are hired to play games and farm gold or level characters for sale, but making people do it in labor camps is just ridiculous. I wonder if this is happening in America somewhere right now...

www.foxnews.com

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
hahaha that's ridiculous

but i guarantee you some people here at ATS would love to be in that prison!

i also guarantee you that prison will get a call from Blizzard's legal representatives soon...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I am a WoW player and yes, I can confirm that there are plenty of in game people selling game resources for real money through websites etc. They gain the in game gold by either using automated 'bots' to farm for things but also there is a lot of account hacking where they break into your account and sell on your stuff. Blizzard are pretty good at replacing your stuff but as yet have been unable to stop the 'gold sellers' as soon as they ban one, another turns up.

Though I do enjoy WoW I don't imagine wanting to play under duress

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm an ex wow player and I know people that would love to do this
they do it all day 24/7 anyway

But yes, it's stupid and needs to be stopped.

Still lol worthy though

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Those jerks totally ruined the economy in FFXI, they are cheats. One of the best ways to make money when I started was to master a craft skill. For a while it was great, until the cheats caught on and started crafting, then it all went to crap......

It got to the point where making money to just level up was like a RL job, you had to farm or craft 6 days a week to make money to buy tools/equipment just to level up... No fun in that.
edit on Thu, 26 May 2011 17:46:20 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

S & F

It's like some off the wall story right out of science fiction.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Or maybe they could take a leaf out of the US book, and sell prisoners to corporations as slave labour.

The country was built on slave labour, and obviously those in power see no reason to change - just to do it in a different way.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
lol they should know that making money in World of Warcraft is agaisnt the law on blizzard

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Good point, I wonder what blizz will do

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust

I bet this sounds like heaven to some of the extreme World of Warcraft addicts out there. I wonder what happens when Blizzard bans the accounts, do the inmates get punished? I've heard of "businesses" where people are hired to play games and farm gold or level characters for sale, but making people do it in labor camps is just ridiculous. I wonder if this is happening in America somewhere right now...

www.foxnews.com

This is happening in America right now. If you play for money, you are playing for peanuts and change. You are already a slave but no ball and chain. Just a videogame addiction
edit on 26-5-2011 by realitycheckmate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Oh YES!!!! My kind of punishment!!!!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Ive never played WOW but if I was sent to prison, they wouldnt really have to force me to play video games to be honest. Who wouldnt in their right minds want to do this instead of worring about dropping the soap in the shower?

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I dont' see how people could play wow for hours on end.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Let's all go to China prison! lmao just kidding.
2nd line.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by realitycheckmate
This is happening in America right now. If you play for money, you are playing for peanuts and change. You are already a slave but no ball and chain.
Yes but there's a difference.

In America if you make $2 it's nothing, probably not even 20 minutes wages.

In China that may be a day's wages, so while still not a lot, it's more in China than in America.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Hilarious...

Damn those Chinese gold farmers! That's where they keep coming from then!

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

haha omg!

I knew there had to be something sinister with all those damn gold sellers ruining all mmorps since they existed.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Oh YES!!!! My kind of punishment!!!!

Have you ever played WoW? Sure - it can be fun for a while... but they call it a "grind" for a reason.

The moment guild applications require more information than is required to submit for a $50K/year job ... it's crossed the line a long time ago.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Anyone who even dares to call this cruel and unusual punishment is a chummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...p.
edit on 27-5-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join