It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Prisoners Forced to Play World of Warcraft, Detainee Says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
What do they do with the accounts after the prisoners leave then? Jeez, if I could stab somebody, just to get thrown into a place with free food, clothes, and games, I would!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Oh YES!!!! My kind of punishment!!!!

Have you ever played WoW? Sure - it can be fun for a while... but they call it a "grind" for a reason.

The moment guild applications require more information than is required to submit for a $50K/year job ... it's crossed the line a long time ago.

What...? What guilds were you applying to?

I raided in a few top 50 guilds and never had to give more information than some basic knowledge about your class/role to filter out the bads.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Stuffed

Probably depends upon what servers you play on. I never got that involved with it - but a couple of my room mates were searching for guilds, and the ones they were applying to came complete with an interview. The applications went so far as to require screen shots of their GUI setup (don't want people who have stuff so cluttered they can't tell what's going on), how much time they could devote to raids, specifics regarding their characters and play-style, etc.

It's no surprise neither of them play anymore. It's no longer a game when you -have- to log on and raid at specific times or be flat out kicked from the guild. That's a job.

Though it doesn't surprise me any that the Chinese have "sweatshops" based around grinding up in-game credits and items to sell for real currency. It may be against the ToS - but it's something of its own industry. Hell - when it takes days of cumulative game play to come up with the various items you need for something - the "game-gold for real-money" is bound to be a pretty big market amongst the microwave generation.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Beats getting bashed with a lead pipe ,whilst getting raped by your cellmate.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Yeah, and it's not only WOW - many other games out there too. Like the above poster mentioned Runescape having 'gold mine bots' - who work just to sell accounts, gold, etc.

UGH! Humans will corrupt anything!

peace

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I'm sorry but this is just disgusting!!

I've let a lot of China's human rights abuses slide, I turned a blind eye over Tibet and I never said a word over the lack of health and safety for their workers...

But to force Human Beings to play WoW is just the last straw.

No Human being should ever have to suffer like this.

:shk:
edit on 27/5/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Since 2005 when we initially launched our website, We have delivered literally 17,562,485M RS Gold, 1,385,924 orders by over 850,000 customers, thanks for your patronage and thanks for all the supports provided by all our dear customers from different countries.we really appreciate all the growth we have been and now we are constantly striving to maintain a higher quality of customer services, customer satisfaction.

www.gold4rs.com...
If they are telling the truth, which is plausible, then they have made roughly around 10 to 20 million dollars in the last 6 years. That's one website.

EDIT: Also, that is just a website for Runescape. I imagine the WoW market would be even more profitable.

edit on 27-5-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Awesome! Where do I sign up for this prison?

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust

I bet this sounds like heaven to some of the extreme World of Warcraft addicts out there. I wonder what happens when Blizzard bans the accounts, do the inmates get punished? I've heard of "businesses" where people are hired to play games and farm gold or level characters for sale, but making people do it in labor camps is just ridiculous. I wonder if this is happening in America somewhere right now...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Actually it sounds like hell.
These people break realm economies and make farming for mats soul destroying.
I doubt they get punished, it's probably just like being made to make bags or something. The accounts getting banned eventually is just business norm. Not sure how easy it is to sell toons these days. I thought Blizz had made that pretty hard.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

I’m a WOW player and man I want to go to Chinese prison, won’t have my bloody girlfriend moaning “spend some time with me" NO!!!!

Also if they allow gold mining bots then there will be no need to make prisoner play.

I used to have something called gilder, just leave it on while I went to work and come back I have lvl 10 times!! And bags full of goodies! I got a 5 day ban when I got reported

Look at it like this, play wow or do the dirty laundry, all clean the floors.. If anything its better than the usual jobs you get inside!

j

edit on 27-5-2011 by ototheb85 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I rather spend my day playing online games than getting raped

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Lolzerz!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

come on guys lets not forget how horrible thosee camps are. and ive played wow for a couple of monthes its like torure

ps type this on a min keyboard so sry for mistake

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
A very good punishment imo due to the fact that WoW can be very confusing and is EXTREMELY boring.

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It could be much worse, they could make the prisoners watch Ishtar over and over again. No, that would be far too "cruel and unusual"

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I thought the article was going to say that the prisoners were forced to play until they got addicted, then the guards pulled the plug on them causing hysteria. Talk about cruel!

posted on May, 27 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
A thread on this topic exists:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add your comments to the existing one.

Closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join