It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

guns guns guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
i know what you are all saying "what gun should i buy" "these are the only guns you should buy" "what are the best guns" well no gun is the best they do eventually run out you know... right. what happens when you can't buy more ammo because you have wasted it all and there are no more shops. you need gun powder and all that crap to fix them... no more shops remember. you could ditch your gun at the game or at people for self deference some thing more efficient?... that would be to get a knife. mine is a "KA-BAR US Navy combat knife" $135aus and/or an axe, mine is a "Estwing Camper's Ax - 26"" $15aus a good post to try is jiggle lord's respect your knife www.abovetopsecret.com... i would strongly recommend an axe, very handy, i can't find a good post for that, but you should know what to look for. this is not for 72 hour, 1week, 2 week but more for end of the city, country, world more. so please think when you consider a gun just think of a knife for a second. tell me what you think whether i wrong or right. please tell me your favorite knife or axe or complement the gun(i WILL still disagree with you) or complain about it. but please don't ask me what gun i would get as i am strongly against them but do love to use them (don't ask) and it is illegal too have them here in Australia

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by THEwTRUTH

Well its all subjective when it comes to what you feel is the best choice of tools.
And while many say a bigger knife is better, i must say i like the feel of a smaller blade.
i like skelton knives the best, i use a folding lock knife most of the time as its eaiser to have in the tool kit
but i like the solid tang knifes with out any extras..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77fd8140a878.jpg[/atsimg]
As for hatchets, i like the multi function types better, less weight for the amount of uses, one tool instead of three.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ac8baf25fae.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Ok?

Ammunition does eventually run out. But unless you are in extended firefights with people all the time, you can stretch a decent ammo stockpile for years. You can also trade for additional ammo, find ammo, etc. Ammo running out isn't a reason to not get a gun, in my opinion.

A knife has its place, but it's no substitute for a gun. Haven't you ever heard of the saying "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight?" I think the reasons are pretty obvious. You can't kill someone with a knife from 300 yards. And you can't kill 10 people at 50 feet with a knife either. A firearm is superior to a knife for defense situations, period.

You still need a knife though, I won't argue that point. It's just not a great defensive tool unless you are in a specific situation, like, going one-on-one with someone else who has a knife. Even then, a gun would be much better.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Give me a decent bow over a gun anyday..

the silence as the shaft travels though the air..
gone before they know your there.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Did we forget about reloading? What about the manufacture of gunpowder? You can improvise on the projectile some if you do in fact run out of lead you know. Anyhow to the point the OP is making, I don't think any self respecting survivalist is going to just have a gun and not have a knife, and axe as well.
I have a SOG seal team 2000 for my knife (original model) and for my camp axe I chose the Fiskars 12" handle camp axe.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
When it comes to ammo, you only need enough ammo on hand to give you the ability to obtain more.

Next, you touch on why do you need a firearm...

This goes to the "Bullet or a Hoe" concept. There will be humans that will enslave the unarmed in a SHTF event, be it the Police State or the guy down the street.

You on the road with others, each of you have packs to carry, but one guy has a gun and the others do not, do you really think that the guy with the gun is going to carry his own pack ?

After the SHTF event, we must rebuild. Grow our own food. Do you really think that the unarmed is going to be the forman or is the unarmed going to be the one that has the hoe.

Bullet or a Hoe
edit on 24-5-2011 by brokedown because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Don't bring a knife to a gun fight!

Second

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Why is it always one or the other?

Any reason I can't / don't have guns, knives, bows, slingshots, batlif, etc....?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by THEwTRUTH
i know what you are all saying "what gun should i buy" "these are the only guns you should buy" "what are the best guns" well no gun is the best they do eventually run out you know... right. what happens when you can't buy more ammo because you have wasted it all and there are no more shops. you need gun powder and all that crap to fix them... no more shops remember.

You are assuming there are no ways to manufacture bullets, or gun powder, which is not the case. The real questions are how many guns will be available, how much ammo, and how much could any person need? Going into the end of the world, I will have many guns and thousands of rounds of ammo.

you could ditch your gun at the game or at people for self deference some thing more efficient?... that would be to get a knife. mine is a "KA-BAR US Navy combat knife" $135aus and/or an axe, mine is a "Estwing Camper's Ax - 26"" $15aus a good post to try is jiggle lord's respect your knife www.abovetopsecret.com... i would strongly recommend an axe, very handy, i can't find a good post for that, but you should know what to look for. this is not for 72 hour, 1week, 2 week but more for end of the city, country, world more.

A knife and axe are important for bushcrafting. I have many knives and axes. My favorite knife is the Ka-Bar BK2. As for the Axe, the Gransfors Bruks Outdoor Axe. I also like the Uzi Jungle Commander for something in between a knife and a machete.

It's not going to do me much good to have a nice knife and axe, if someone with a crappy Ruger 10/22 with a bullet that costs $0.03 US Dollars, kills me and takes my knife and axe.

so please think when you consider a gun just think of a knife for a second. tell me what you think whether i wrong or right.

Wrong or Right, depends on a person's perspective. For me, I have many guns, knives, and axes. In preparing for survival or a long term scenario, I will try to keep as many of those as possible around me. Even in a situation where I leave with no thoughts of returning, I am taking a knife, gun, axe, and much more.

I think everyone should keep a survival bag handy to leave at a moments notice. I keep a bag handy with several knives, an axe, firestarting, medical, food, water, water purification, shelter, etc... ready to go. And a separate bag with more food and water.

please tell me your favorite knife or axe or complement the gun(i WILL still disagree with you) or complain about it. but please don't ask me what gun i would get as i am strongly against them but do love to use them (don't ask) and it is illegal too have them here in Australia

I personally like guns, own many guns, shoot them frequently, and carry my gun with me. My US state allows me to have a concealed carry permit, which allows me to carry my gun concealed to many places, not everywhere, but most everywhere.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
reply to post by James1982

Give me a decent bow over a gun anyday..
the silence as the shaft travels though the air..
gone before they know your there.

A rifle can considerably out distance a bow.

Longest confirmed sniper kill: 2,706 yards
www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sprocket2cog

The problem with an arrow is that it doesn't cause the massive trauma that a bullet will as it bounces around inside the body breaking bones and tearing up tissue.

An arrow is basically like stabbing someone with a small knife. Except the arrow gets left in the flesh, so then it plugs the hole and makes bleeding out take much, much longer. There are several instances of people getting shot with arrows and, other than the pain, they do just fine. That same shot with a gun would have been much more traumatic, and bleed out faster.

There is a reason the gun took over as an tool of war, it kills people better than anything else does.

A bow is still a great tool, and in theory never runs out of ammo/arrows, but a firearm still has the advantage of range/power/accuracy/fire rate and skill needed to be effective. It takes a lot more training to be proficient with a bow than a gun. Most anyone can pick up a gun, and shoot someone at a decent range. Probably not so with a bow.

Once all the ammunition in the world runs out, the bowman will reign supreme. Until then, he's going to get taken down by the guy with a gun. Even then, I'm sure some people will be reloading their shells.

Like I said in my previous post, you still need a knife, and an ax/hatchet, but I wouldn't carry these items as weapons unless I had to.

edit on 24-5-2011 by James1982 because: Spelling

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Boys, You act like you can convince me that guns are good ?
you fail to see that some people see them as a weapon of war that is what got us into this situation in the first place, and we must rise above it..
make friends instead of enemy's, respect instead of dominate..
i dont need a gun to feel like a man..
boys and there toys..
this was a thread about the value of a knife, hijacked again by the gun lovers..

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a good survivalist will be ready for most incidents. I don't have a firearm due to Australian Law, but my Compound Bow, Hatchet, Knife and Machette will get me out of most situations if they ever arise.

The average joe with a gun is probably going to be a danger to 100m, after that, unless they have used firearms for awhile, its a stretch for them to actually be a danger. (americans excepted, because you guys are just freaks with firearms)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

you fail to see that some people see them as a weapon of war that is what got us into this situation in the first place, and we must rise above it..
boys and there toys..
this was a thread about the value of a knife, hijacked again by the gun lovers..

Maybe you shouldn't have titled the post "guns, guns, guns" if all you want to discuss is knives. Just a thought.

You put up the argument that guns=bad.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by VAPatriot

boys and there toys..

Maybe you shouldn't have titled the post "guns, guns, guns" if all you want to discuss is knives. Just a thought.

You put up the argument that guns=bad.

reply to post by VAPatriot

LOL, i didnt start the thread mate...
so your point is ?
do i think guns are bad,? well that depends on what your criteria is..
they are good for killing..
not much else.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Ha, I thought you were the OP. My mistake.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Edged tool/weapons are always a must. Weapons can do good in the right hands. Weapons are tools, first and foremost.

I am always amused by those who just loves their knives. Don’t get me wrong, they have their purpose, but a butt-load of knives will not save you against a bear, pack of wild dogs or an armed pack of wild dogs. Heck, even a pistol/rifle may not be enough, but at least you have a better chance. Your kit has be well rounded in a SHTF scenario.

The boys and their toys argument doesn't fly in todays age. I know plenty of women who shoot, have 4x4's and would rather have a 60 inch TV to watch the game on rather than another diamond ring. JUMPIN' JEHOSPHAT! I love those kinda girls!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Edged tool/weapons are always a must. Weapons can do good in the right hands. Weapons are tools, first and foremost.

I am always amused by those who just loves their knives. Don’t get me wrong, they have their purpose, but a butt-load of knives will not save you against a bear, pack of wild dogs or an armed pack of wild dogs. Heck, even a pistol/rifle may not be enough, but at least you have a better chance. Your kit has be well rounded in a SHTF scenario.

The boys and their toys argument doesn't fly in todays age. I know plenty of women who shoot, have 4x4's and would rather have a 60 inch TV to watch the game on rather than another diamond ring. JUMPIN' JEHOSPHAT! I love those kinda girls!

taking a knife to a bear fight...
www.cbc.ca...

A man stabbed a black bear to death with a 15-cm hunting knife, saying he knew he would otherwise become "lunch" after it attacked him and his dog on a canoeing portage in northern Ontario.

Besides im in Australia and the only bears we have here are Koala bears...oh wait they arrnt bears..

And dingos arnt so bad, the guy down the road here has five he takes for a walk everyday

but like i said guns are great for some things...
knives are good for lots of things..
i find it funny people see a gun as a "survival tool" rather then a killing tool...
knives fit both definitions..
you ever tried to skin an animal with a gun ?
its going to take a lot of ammo and make one hell of a mess...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BalderAsir
The average joe with a gun is probably going to be a danger to 100m, after that, unless they have used firearms for awhile, its a stretch for them to actually be a danger. (americans excepted, because you guys are just freaks with firearms)

The Civilian Marksmanship Program trains for bullseyes at 600 meters with iron sights.

It's not as hard as one would think. 8's and 9's at that range are still hitting a human sized target.

First time I went through it I thought it was a ridiculous pipe dream but once you get that sling strapped around your arm you can make human target shots all day long at that range with iron sights.

It's an awesome feeling to be punching X's you cant even really see they're so far away. Just a tiny dark spot and you're aiming for the middle of it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

ARRRgghh! Ya got me!

I would imagine, while humpin' the outback that a good knife would be better than a gun. I thought about posting your line about skinning a animal with a gun but thought it was to silly to post, even for me. Good catch.

But. speaking of silly, check this out. (Still can't post a pic for some reason)

www.laserlyte.com...

Best of both worlds?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join