It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

guns guns guns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
people ok one dont get into a gun fight two bow and arrow are still good three the longest sniper kill by what i can find is 2,707yards four guns=bad
five guns are illegal here and i hate them get it thorough your skulls i am saying consider a good knife before a gun

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by THEwTRUTH

I think the debate here in the previous posts is that people are describing their personal kit. And their personal preferances as well. I believe everybody who has posted has a knife.

But give me a break. Guns are NOT bad. People can be bad. I have saved lives with my pistol. I never could have done that with a knife.
edit on 24-5-2011 by TDawgRex because: Big fingas

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Within a certain distance a knife wielder can draw and close for the kill to quickly for most people to draw and point their pistol. Not all and I believe that this distance is around 10 ft. It is about 20 if the knife wielder is prepared and the pistol user isn't. Also I only have knives right now due to the cost of being in college, though I do intend to aquire at least one rifle, shotgun and pistol. Knives are important, but as others have said, a well rounded kit is very important. And to the person suggesting molle, the problem with it is that it makes you stand out, at least for a little while. Otherwise, and when it doesn't make you stand out, it is great.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Seeing is how I shoot faster and further than I run, I would stick to my gun.
If I lived in a country where guns were outlawed I would make a zip gun.
When the ammo runs out I would make my own and go muzzle loader.
Knifes are a must have too though, but if needed i could sharpen a sick on a rock that would work too.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Victor03
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I agree with you. Im more of an "All of the above" type person. The more the merrier!!! I have my axes, machetes, KaBar (cuz im a Jarhead), pocket knives, handguns, rifles, air rifle (awesome - no gun powder and 4000 bbs), and shotgun. AND reloading equipment!!! I could use a bow though....heh!!

KA-Bar's are not for jar-heads i trust my KA-Bar it may not be as good as others in a few things it does it's job and that is all i wont out of it the bow is always useful

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
Within a certain distance a knife wielder can draw and close for the kill to quickly for most people to draw and point their pistol. Not all and I believe that this distance is around 10 ft. It is about 20 if the knife wielder is prepared and the pistol user isn't. Also I only have knives right now due to the cost of being in college, though I do intend to aquire at least one rifle, shotgun and pistol. Knives are important, but as others have said, a well rounded kit is very important. And to the person suggesting molle, the problem with it is that it makes you stand out, at least for a little while. Otherwise, and when it doesn't make you stand out, it is great.

It is called the Tueller rule. They went over and over it in the Academy.
21 feet for an attacker to close the distance with a knife, on a person with a holstered pistol.

A knife is to fight your way back to your pistol. A pistol is to fight your way back to your rifle. A shotgun to to enter the building to get the others guys rifle and pistol.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by armtx

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by armtx

I happen to be Apache... Jicarilla Apache...
Did my forefather's use bows... yeah and knives and rocks and anything else that worked...
but when you ask what does this modern day Jicarilla Apache use????

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fcf11f13d1cf.jpg[/atsimg]
that ... Ke-mo sah-bee... is a Winchester M70 300 wsm....

Is that a BOSS on the end of that fine piece of machinery or a flash surpressor?

your close... it is a muzzle break just not from BOSS... I machined my own design...

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Knives and Hatchets are great tools to have, and like all great tools they have their place, here are some of my tools.

My Cold Steel Kukri, OKC3S Marine Bayonet, Ontario Ranger RD4, CRKT M21

Estwing Camper

But when it comes to combat edged weapons , for me they are tertiary behind my primary (long gun) and my secondray (Pistol)

Marlin 336 lever action in 30-30

SAR-1 , Mossberg 500 w/ choate sidefolder

M4gery in 5.56 with Eotech Opmod XPS2

Beretta PX4 Storm in .45ACP w/ TLR-2

to dispute the fact that firearms are superior to edged weapons and bows in every measurable martial capability is not only ignorant, but is serious misinfo. I don't know if it comes from the fact that you're not allowed certain firearms in many countries so to compensate for that fact they tote the superiority of edged weapons or what, but I find these disputes a lot on ats.

I've also seen the argument that firearms are only weapons of war and I also find this false. My Mossy (With a barrel and stock swap) and my Marlin 336 have harvested deer and geese for food, on the flipside a KBAR or my OKC3S Bayonet only have one practical application, killing humans.

In closing, I have a respect for edged weapons, and a decent collection of them. But you need to pick the right tool for the right job. When it comes to survival or home defense, a firearm can't be beat, If you go up against a well trained firearms operator with your blade or bow, you will lose 99 out of 100 times.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
the best thing to do in a worse case scenario is to stock up on 3 years of food water and clothes

guns are not so much important its only to fend off scavengers... and thieves

if you have enough of everything the best thing to do is to wait until it ends.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
reply to post by TDawgRex

Dont get me wrong.. ive done my fair share of target shooting at gun ranges (yes we still have them here)
even some of the local police groups run air rifle competitions

And also archery events, i just like the skill of using a bow..
Guns arent illegal here as many people think, its just a totally different culture..
I just dont need one in the enviroment i live

Besides i wouldnt take a knife to a gun fight, i would just disappear in to the bush and not take them on..
Thats part of surviving, not pick a fight you cant win..

heres some info for you
en.wikipedia.org...

Currently, about 5.2% of Australian adults (765,000 people)[1] own and use firearms for purposes such as hunting, controlling feral animals, collecting, and target shooting.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)
Yes Guns are still accessible in Australia though you have to meet a lot of requirements to keep them,my wife and I are regular visitors to the pistol and rifle ranges and she usually kicksmy arse on points,however i still have a nice collection of fine blades i believe they are a must in any survival situation

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bilder

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
reply to post by TDawgRex

Dont get me wrong.. ive done my fair share of target shooting at gun ranges (yes we still have them here)
even some of the local police groups run air rifle competitions

And also archery events, i just like the skill of using a bow..
Guns arent illegal here as many people think, its just a totally different culture..
I just dont need one in the enviroment i live

Besides i wouldnt take a knife to a gun fight, i would just disappear in to the bush and not take them on..
Thats part of surviving, not pick a fight you cant win..

heres some info for you
en.wikipedia.org...

Currently, about 5.2% of Australian adults (765,000 people)[1] own and use firearms for purposes such as hunting, controlling feral animals, collecting, and target shooting.

edit on 24-5-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)
Yes Guns are still accessible in Australia though you have to meet a lot of requirements to keep them,my wife and I are regular visitors to the pistol and rifle ranges and she usually kicksmy arse on points,however i still have a nice collection of fine blades i believe they are a must in any survival situation

i know they still legal when i was in the air cadets as a child(13-20years(for me 14-17) i had fired a few times i did hit the target(only when no one was looking:lol
i do still go to range when my daughters got dance on
but thats it i am anti gun but if i have to use one i know how i would never own one requirements dont pi$$ me off so you should have checks i still chrust my blade "a man is only as big as his blade"

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
If....there is ever a global breakdown due to whatever reasons. Just how long do people in those unarmed countries believe it will be before slaving ships show up on their coast?

We know what happens when there is no law. The strong take control. (who unfortunately are also the stupid in most cases)

Turn back the hands of time 300-400 years and then think of what would have happened with our modern arms and artifacts in those hands.

Global EMP? could be anything. The truth is the average person is in an arms race, just like all the big countries. What ever flows in one place will be like water and eventually flow to another.

My advice. Store edged weapons that are suitable. Procure edged weapons that are survival ready. Procure the highest level of firearms legally available in your region.

Because everyone else already is doing that.

If we rate the individual man like we would a nation.....you dont wanna be the little armpit principality or some banana republic.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by THEwTRUTH

There is no reason to hate guns, everything has its place, edged weapons are great in some circumstances but will never give you a competitive edge vs. someone with a firearm. You say get it through your thick skull, no one can convince you to like guns. Fine so be it, I really don't care if you do or don't like them, it has no merit on my decision making process whatsoever. But don't make a thread title guns, guns, guns attracting the obvious gun owners of the site, expecting to make a valid point.

Let me make a valid point... Who won? Cowboys or Indians? be honest...

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealTruth84

Let me make a valid point... Who won? Cowboys or Indians? be honest...

Indians pay less for smokes and booze.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Guns are 20th Century.

Directed Energy Weapons are what you should be thinking about and building.

Imagine if the Obama Bans Guns. Smart people will start making Directed Energy Weapons in their garages to sell to people looking for weapons. No Forensics person would be able to find a bullet hole, ballistics, or determine what weapon made Mr. Binky's brain turn to mush in his skull.

Obama's going to express the next phase of hand held weapons. You can already build a light saber using the circuit board from a plasma cutter, a small bottle of a secret gas I won't disclose, and a lithium battery pack. High voltage turning the gas into a plasma torch 2 feet long and able to sever someone's body parts off. Got body armor? It'll burn through it.

Firearms are about to cease to be useful. With so many engineers unemployed in America right now I have a feeling they are thinking of new ways to make weapons and will start their own underground business's making Directed Energy Weapons.

The Anti-Gun Left of America is going to usher in a new generation of weapons their little brains can't even fathom.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Where I live, you still need a pistol, even if you never plan to get in a fight. And here's why:

1. Snakes
Killing a snake with a knife is just asking for trouble. A hoe works a lot better. But then, you tend to only notice a rattler when it hisses, just before you step on it, or when you've already put a boot down next to it. Swinging a hoe around at that moment is not realistic. But a draw from a holster works a lot better.

2. Feral hogs
If you down a deer, you may have a fight on your hands. In TX, the law is being changed so that it is legal for a bowhunter to carry a pistol for this very reason. I haven't seen any hogs where I hunt, but I have seen sign, and it is worth thinking about. I know someone who was injured by a wild hog, and almost killed when it drove a tusk into his thigh only mm from the artery. He walked with a limp the rest of his life, and could no longer get up into a tree stand, because of what the boar had done to his leg.

Guns have their place, just like knives.

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Never carry a survival knife that you may have to use in defence that does not have a good guard.
www.knifeforums.com.../176682/post/last/m/1/

Cutting your hand open when it slips off the grip will mix your blood with your attackers.

need i say AIDS

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think in whichever application of survival (nomadic movement vs. homesteading) that a gun has a good chance of being a good tool in your toolkit.

Im not a reloader, I don't know how, and Im not sure that I care to swap a day's hunting for a few rounds or whatever the barter is at that time. I can make, cure, and fletch arrows with ease. I know how to care for a simple hardwood bow and will start trying to make them eventually.

A good knife, a decent hatchet, an axe, machete, and gun and all your weapons application needs should be in place.

Besides, a Yarborough is still my blade of choice...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
question 1 were we able to survive with out guns?

question 2 do you need that huge machine gun?

question 3 does a gun replace a knife?

question 4 you got a knife finally
now is it good for the job?

question 5 got a good knife yep yep ye OK so do you have enough?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Lol 770 right... I have a 300 wsm just like that lol....

They are nice no?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join