It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dove's Latest Ad Campaign: Our Bodywash Will Turn A Black Woman White

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I was shocked this morning when I saw Dove's latest ad campaign, it featured a photo of three women of different skin tones and the words 'before' and 'after' above them, giving the impression that if you use their skin wash it will turn your skin white!! How they heck did this one get through the net!!

Check the ad out here.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I just don't see it.

I see 3 ladies and a skin chart behind them.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by phixion

This is either horribly racist or one of the biggest mistakes a major corporation has made in marketing this year...I'm guessing a lot of people are going to get fired over this one.

Granted, no such thing as bad publicity.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
this is not the way u see it
look behind the women it clearly shows the skin b4 and after
sorry but read things carefully before u thread

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by phixion

I can't see it either. I just see the difference in the skin, the first picture shows it sort of cracked and then it's better in the second one.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Saying that this ad is racist is like saying that a KFC ad with black people in it is racist.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The women (black, mixed, and white) are there simply just to signify that their bodywash is effective no matter what color your skin is. The before/after photos aren't related to the women; they show the difference between skin before and after using the bodywash. Duh.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84
Saying that this ad is racist is like saying that a KFC ad with black people in it is racist.

lolol if you're referring to that KFC ad where the white person is in the middle of a crowd of black people, then yeah I thought that was ultra racist.

EDIT:

This one:

edit on 5/24/2011 by banandar123 because: Added the video.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Yes I totally agree with everyone in this thread who says that it isn't actually racist, but, I think the words have been places very badly and it could easily be perceived as being racist.

Think about the wrong impressions people may get from your ad, even if it is completely innocent.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by banandar123

lol ok yeah THAT particular ad was very racist but it was for the Australian market who doesn't have that same black people eat chicken stereotype that we see.
Or maybe they do, but its just not as important or controversial over there.

But I do see a lot of people saying that KFC (or other similar) ads are racist just because they have black people in them.
Of course they're gonna put black people in them, its the target audience. And if you say otherwise, you've never been to a chicken restaurant.
Its the same reason why theres NOT many black people in pizza commercials.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by banandar123

Originally posted by Fishticon84

lolol if you're referring to that KFC ad where the white person is in the middle of a crowd of black people, then yeah I thought that was ultra racist.

EDIT:

This one:

edit on 5/24/2011 by banandar123 because: Added the video.

ffs people this aint racist either the aussie guy says "stuck in an awkward position"
it shows he was in the wrong stand during a cricket match, and to win favour he hands out
kfc as a gesture ....stop looking for racism
edit on 24-5-2011 by davesmart because: added

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
i dont see it either.. its a before and after of the condition of the skin not of the colour..
common sense should tell you, dove are not going to produce a racist advert and risk losing a huge percentage of consumers that will buy their product..

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
its showing damaged cracked skin and then repaired skin. before and after.

the education system is clearly failing if people somehow come up with this being a racist ad. this is one of the silliest complaints i have ever seen.

i don't see different colored women in the ad I see 3 women.

we have seem to developed into a species that now looks at everything with the sole purpose of finding fault with it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
we have seem to developed into a species that now looks at everything with the sole purpose of finding fault with it.

This describes some conspiracy theorists perfectly.

But yeah, some people just need to lighten up (not the OP, necessarily, just people that fit into what JohnySeagull said).

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Tried to get o this link at work, came through as blocked because of 'marijuana', Sweet.....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
What a load of...

If anything the before colour is lighter than the after,so where are all the lighter colour people yelling racism "their trying to make us all black" and as others have said its only really showing cracked skin to smooth.

and as for the the KFC thats an Australian ad,KFC where the sponsers of the cricket,just because Americans have a big deal about African Americans and fried chicken over there doesn`t mean thats the case all around the world and deffinetly not here.

Its like we call thongs,umm? flip flops I think you would call them,we call what you refer to thongs G strings,totally two different things.But dont expect us to change,nor do we expect you to ajust to ours.

So get a grip America and stop thinking everyone else should or does think or act like your country.Its bad enough our government are lap dogs to yours already.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
What a load of...

If anything the before colour is lighter than the after,so where are all the lighter colour people yelling racism "their trying to make us all black" and as others have said its only really showing cracked skin to smooth.

and as for the the KFC thats an Australian ad,KFC where the sponsers of the cricket,just because Americans have a big deal about African Americans and fried chicken over there doesn`t mean thats the case all around the world and deffinetly not here.

Its like we call thongs,umm? flip flops I think you would call them,we call what you refer to thongs G strings,totally two different things.But dont expect us to change,nor do we expect you to ajust to ours.

So get a grip America and stop thinking everyone else should or does think or act like your country.Its bad enough our government are lap dogs to yours already.

well bloomin said, thats what ive been trying to point out...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Cheers Dave

Though I was going to add to it just now....

Australia is a multicultral country with every skin colour imaginable,its funny how the KFC AD was only seen as racist to those in AMERICA when we all heard about it on the news (In utter disbelief)after it had been running for ages here already.

The world cup means its a world cup,not the Australia cup,yet were there any screams of racism from the rest of the world about the KFC AD,nope.Just America,who would have thunk it.

And if anything it shows how racist they are to think that everyones the same as them with their problems all around the world.Kinda like saying African Americans or any darker skined person likes fried chicken in every country.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Now look at that ad
Now back me
Now back at the ad
Now back to me
Now back at the ad
What do you see
Look PROPERLY
There is NOTHING racist about that advert.

I'm on a horse..
HEEEEEEYYYYYYAAAAHHHHH!

edit on 24-5-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join