It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 just became a real event for me

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Just to give some background on my history I have been an ATS user since 2005. I changed my profile recently due to personal reasons. In 2005 I knew nothing of 2012 and I first came to ATS to look at UFO, ghost photo's and crypto threads. Well the hunt for information began once I stumbled on the subject.
I became as thirsty for more information as anyone could possibly be and covered every available angle and/or situation that would lead up to a world wide crises, as described by the numerous societies around the world. To be brief my ultimate conclusion on the subject, toward the end of 2009 was, that this is either a psy-ops program or harmonic natural event that occurs regularly. We see seasons change on our planet 4 times a year, to me it is not such a difficult stretch to see that there may be a galactic cycle with seasons changing every few thousand years, which are much harder to see given the time frame.
Regardless, that is not the point of this thread.
I have taken certain precautions for myself and my family for just this type of event but this is not only limited to 2012 and also includes natural, civil and threats of war. In short, I put my beliefs about this event like I treat most life issues. For example those of us that drive know we may get into an accident so we get auto insurance. I refuse to get any more serious about this other then being able to relocate within an hours notice to a safe place with people who live off the land. Which I have. All the talk about citizens across the world buying underground shelters, joining communities, fortifying there homes, stocking up on food/water/weapons, seems like a great idea but I don't think it will work in the long run.
So, I really wasn't taking this too seriously outside the academic study of this phenomena.
Then last night I went out to dinner with my 4 year old daughter. We were early so we sat in the lounge and as fate would have it my daughter fell asleep on my lap before dinner came. It was quiet and the only other two couples there were behind me, talking. They were all in their late 60's 70's and looked to be just regular folks. As I started to eavesdrop on their conversation it occurred to me they were poking fun at the May 21st prophesy which failed. Then they turned their attention to 2012. Their collective understanding on the subject was pretty good - a history channel synopsis would best describe it. I wanted to join in but didn't because I started to feel a strange anxiety come over me the more they talked about it. Ultimately, after a 15 minute conversation about the whole event, these 4 people made a pact right there at the table to get together when things start to get really bad and kill themselves, together. They even discussed using some type of medication or poison one of the women had left over from work at the house, I think she was a retired veterinarian. They were as sincere as talking about the next vacation they were all going to go on. They even worked out the details as far as food and wine were concerned.
Well, what these people spoke about has bothered me to my core since last night. It was interesting and fun to learn about this subject in the past but now it has all changed. Whether or not anything is going to happen doesn't seem to matter to me anymore. I feel now just the injection of this information into our society has already caused a change and the cycle must run its course now. Normal people are aware, even at some basic level and are planning for some event to occur. Hysteria and the like will probably soon follow, only time will tell now. It seems this event is being taken way more seriously then the other billion prophesies that have come and gone.
I really needed to let this out to see what the community here feels. And I did hesitate to write this, for now I feel compelled to enjoy my life rather then looking at a computer screen anymore (No offense to ATS which I love).
Funny how information can be so destructive, a double edged sword, like all weapons. . . this one overheard discussion between 4 people has changed my views so profoundly.

+12 more 
posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I have to admit...

I don't trust a preacher trying to make money.

But, as far as I can tell.

The Mayans were not trying to sell a book.

+13 more 
posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Nor were they trying to predict the end of the world..

link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I feel this way as well. I never gave it much thought until a couple of years ago. It just seems that everything is coming to a head. It never really bothered me and I kind of laughed about this 2012 thing. I don't mind if people believe one way or the other but, I am getting prepared just in case. Like you said, it doesn't hurt to have an insurance plan. If I don't need it GREAT! If I do...well at least it is there.

link   

2012 will come and go just like Harold Camping's rapture.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Point taken....

But exactly what the Mayans knew.

That's still open to interpretation.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Do you remember the 5-5-2000 doomsday date that came and passed with no incident? There was supposed to be some rare planetary alignment that occurred on that date and a lot of people thought that was going to be the end.

The end of a calendar is just that...a beginning of a new cycle not the end of the world.

Dont blow your life savings on xmas next year. This date will come and go without incident just like all of the other "doomsday dates".

Peace!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Just so ppl get one thing straight.

The mayan prophecies were never about the end of the world. It is suppose to happen something yes, a form of enlightenment, a new era or age, the discovery of something important and some even relate it to aliens or atlantis taking into account all the myths and mysteries surrounding that particular civilization... or could be something as simple as a change in cycle of the earth like today's "new year".

But never, ever was about the end of the world.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

its interesting watching it all play out... a suicide pact is a bit alarming... im in a safe place from global scale craziness, so i feel real blessed. i think the mayan date is hopefully going to he the end of all this... id hope so!

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

So, I really wasn't taking this too seriously outside the academic study of this phenomena.

So, you dismissed the majority of quantitative and empirical data that refutes almost ALL of the asinine fodder thrown out there, but buy into the words of those 'sitting behind' you..?

Being impressionable is fine, to a limit, but with that said, please never tell anyone you are a part of this community...

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Fair play to yourself for taking precautions for any event, any sane caring person would. But when you mention people killing themselves because of a prediction Thats just pure crazy. Its human instinct to survive a threatening situation. My nan used to work in a mental home, she was one of the people who helped, a nurse if you will. Most of my family are 100 percent me agreeing with the world ending and stuff. I've even got an unborn child on the way. But everyone in my family is against it. My nan and mom are the ones who mainly say, 'there are mentally unstable people out there, and they will kill themselves by what your saying and preaching' and Thats coming from a mental home nurse. But i just say, if there that mentally unsound, why should i be bothered with there decisions? If I'm planning for a new start, trying to save who i can with survival tips. Obviously, people who top there selves are not meant for the new world. They should be stuck on medication to make them happy till the time comes. I know it sounds harsh, But its what will be. And that is my honest opinion. Its got me into countless arguemenus with family.
edit on 23-5-2011 by Wolvo because: pardon the grammar and spelling mistakes, had a drink

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

That's exactly what they want you to believe.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Excellent post, although the suicide pact is disturbing to me, but none the less, it drives the point home now doesn't it?

I would agree the World is taking 2012 seriously from the Elite, Governments, Religions, and everyday doubters. My own mother is making preparations for the Big day, whatever that day may be. It would be great if instead of 12/21/2012, it came on some random day instead, like 4/1/2012

But yeah man, I thought about stocking up on water and food, maybe grab a shotgun, and I prolly will, but what I figured to be most important is to enjoy life. This summer I plan on spending most of my time at a beach, or camping, someplace outside.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Just so ppl get one thing straight.

The mayan prophecies were never about the end of the world. It is suppose to happen something yes, a form of enlightenment, a new era or age, the discovery of something important and some even relate it to aliens or atlantis taking into account all the myths and mysteries surrounding that particular civilization... or could be something as simple as a change in cycle of the earth like today's "new year".

But never, ever was about the end of the world.

Source? Everything is open to interpretation. Even how modern academics read the mayan calendar. This is an excerpt about the mayan calendar.

A cyclical interpretation is also noted in Maya creation accounts, in which the present world and the humans in it were preceded by other worlds (one to five others, depending on the tradition) which were fashioned in various forms by the gods, but subsequently destroyed.

Destroyed is destroyed. It doesn't say, "moved into a new age of enlightenment".

I am still on the fence about this whole 2012 thing, but, I will be prepared if it is something that can be prepared for.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I agree with most of you about the date not being of any consequence.
I also agree with you all that alone this is just another day.
And my preparedness is not out of the ordinary for the state of the world we live in right now.

What bothers me is that all the talk, news, shows, etc. on this subject has created its own reality now and taken on a life of its own. Self fort-filling prophesies are known to occur when the masses at large are driven by hysteria into believing something. Look at the H.G. Wells incident.
With the stage set all it will take is a little 'push' to set off the masses.
And given the state of things in the world recently, people want to believe to explain away why all these terrible things are seemingly happening all at once.
This is what scares me the most now, someone threw us the ball and we all ran with it. Now the whole thing is becoming a run away train. . .

Facelift - you missed the entire point I was trying to make. I have taken a stance similar to yours on this from the beginning. I can't buy into the theories either but it seems this is not the problem anymore.
edit on 5/23/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

There certainly seems to be more opportunity for man made disaster at this time. I don't buy into fairytales like god(s), mystical predictions and the like though. At any moment in time there could be disaster. It's not a magical thing. It's been happening for the entire history of time.

Humans feel a need to personalize everything, so we make up stories that link us to events (often as the central characters) but that's all they are, stories.

If a natural disaster will wipe us out, we will either stop it, or not... The universe cares not for us, anymore than it places value on a rock. There is no plot (outside of our own destructive behaviors) to destroy us.. No plans, nothing to predict with scrpture or calanders.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by User8911

Originally posted by troubleshooter

That's exactly what they want you to believe.

Who are 'they'...I don't know anyone called 'they'.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I find many people who comment on Revelation have never actually read it. Most people are too scared to.
But it only mentions the end of this world one thousand years (or a millennium) after Jesus comes and beats the demon/aliens-our slave masters.
And when the old earth passes away He makes one that is so big it will put Jupiter to shame.

So please read it before you comment on it or you just show your fear and ignorance.

And the 2012 code is also in the Bible if you know where to look and what to look for.
Peace and love.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I gave you flag and star because you had the courage to speak out what many fear or at least are worry about, in secret. You sound honest.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to be prepared for possible disasters, governments actualy recommend it. It's impossible to avoid noticing that the planet is changing in many ways.

I am also getting prepared the best I can, for my family. You are going in the right direction sister.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It is kinda funny how listening to people in a "normal" setting speaking about abnormal things tends to make your mind wonder if these things might be the new normal thus possibly true.

Well when 2013 rolls around not much will change... And if it did it isn't because the Mayans knew anything special.

Check this out:

www.futurefeeder.com...

A clock, meant to last for and keep time for 10,000 years. What if it gets lost for a few thousand years and is found in 9,950 years. People will freak out! Especially if they get a a hold of a copy of the bible and look at all the end time revelations!

The Mayans were advanced for sure but this doesn't make them magical prophets.

Sorry to the hopeful we'll be here on 2013 and if anything happens it will be related to our hysteria or some other random event.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join