It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In light of today's events how credible is Christianity and its bible?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Upthepunx

Could you write that in english please

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveEquation

Ughhh, if I didn't think you were serious this would be laughable. Actually, that is precisely what Jesus is saying in Matthew 24. If you'll read more to verse 36 Jesus tells the people that no one will know the day or the hour of His return in His kingdom, so obviously He wasn't talking to those seated beside Him.

People who trip up on Matthew 24 generally do not realize that Jesus's apostles asked Jesus 3 questions, not one.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Christianity has lost all credibility today

And yet another biblical truth.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

you didn't answer my questions...how does what i have written have any bearing on "no one knows the hour ".

I believe we are discussing your hypothesis that John saw Jesus come in his kingdom...Jesus himself said the following: "Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened"

The question i am asking you is whether Jesus was lying when he said Peter's generation would not pass away until all he(Jesus) had said had happened.

Was Jesus lying?
edit on 24-5-2011 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

you didn't answer my questions...how does what i have written have any bearing on "no one knows the hour ".

You changed the subject and asked about Matthew 24:34. Yet didn't include verse 36 (2 verses later) that completed Jesus's answer to the three questions of His apostles.

I've answered your questions numerous ways and times, either you can't understand what has been written or you're purposely refusing to.

Not my problem.

The question i am asking you is whether Jesus was lying when he said Peter's generation would not pass away until all he(Jesus) had said had happened.

He didn't say Peter's generation would not pass away. He said the generation that witnessed the real event transpire that the "Parable of the Fig Tree" alluded to would not pass away. That's kinda why why when He answered the 3 questions, He said about His 2nd coming:

"Learn the Parable of the Fig Tree".

edit on 25-5-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

note: we will get to discuss what "no one knows the hour or day" means, it by no means invalidates what Jesus was saying by referring to Peter's generation.

I would like for you to quote me a verse of Jesus saying something like "The generation that will experience these things (it could be a future generation by the way guyz) will not all die till all these things are fulfilled"

How is this the same as This Generation? And it baffles me that people choose to neglect that Jesus was specifically talking to his disciples and not addressing some crowd or future generation.

Here are just a few of verses that are crystal clear on Jesus referring to Peter's generation:

Matthew 10v23
23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Colossians 1v23
if indeed you continue in the faith...hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

In Colossians 1:23 Paul says that the Gospel had been preached to every creature under heaven in their generation, in Peter's generation! Also Titus 2v11 says the same thing. Surely going through all the towns of Israel was not a difficult task compared to preaching to all nations under heaven.

Either
1. Paul and Jesus were lying
or
2. whoever wrote the bible was lying
or
3. Interpretation of 'this generation' by some Christians to hypothesize that Jesus meant future generations is false

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Was there a land called "Israel" when Jesus said that? I'm only aware of the northern land area of "Judea".

Here is what's funny, you're not even giving credit to your source:

HERE

You go from one criticism, to another, to another, now you're getting into what Paul had to say.

We get it, you don't believe. But all these questions are thoroughly answered on numerous sites/sources. You could easily verify if what your Atheist website is telling you is true or not.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Note: What source are you talking about? you don't think i don't know scripture? I knew scripture by heart by the time i was 16 years old. I don't need to read what other people think of what the bible says...I think and reason for my own.

If someone else has thought what i think, it doesn't mean i copied them or they copied me. You are the one who has been mentioning i should read other people's commentaries...that's not how i learn.

You say i tend to lose focus and i digress a lot, that is not true. That maybe because i see the bible as a whole and some things may not be obvious to you. But i try to deal with one question at a time.

The question i am addressing here is whether Jesus meant a future generation when he said "Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened". And this includes Jesus coming back in his kingdom. Are there any other times in the bible when Jesus talked about his return? certainly?

But first things first:

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Was there a land called "Israel" when Jesus said that? I'm only aware of the northern land area of "Judea".

Scripture is aware of a land called Israel. I will give you scripture at a time when Jesus was alive:

Matthew 2v19-20
Now when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, 20 saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His mother, and go to the land of Israel, for those who sought the young Child’s life are dead.”

Malachi 1:5
Your eyes shall see, And you shall say, ‘ The LORD is magnified beyond the border of Israel.’

Now that we have established this fact. Answer my previous post. I have attached the verses to refresh your memory.

Matthew 10v23
23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Colossians 1v23
if indeed you continue in the faith...hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

edit on 25-5-2011 by LiveEquation because: added Malachi

edit on 25-5-2011 by LiveEquation because: removed arrogance and added verses

edit on 25-5-2011 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I knew scripture by heart by the time i was 16 years old.

Lol, no you did not. You're grossly incompetent in reading it.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Your last post was off topic.

If you would rather not answer my question and continue the discussion...please kindly decline to answer. Otherwise thanks for engaging in the discussion.

You could always send me a private message instead of posting here.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I've answered over, and over, and over again.

You aren't looking for answers.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I will give you one more chance to answer my question...

This time i will give you leeway...to state in your own opinion or interpretation what you think Jesus meant when he said the following:

Matthew 10v23
23 ... Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

What does this verse mean to you?
Who was Jesus addressing?
What do you think it means?

Note: i only focused on the verse because i am assuming you are aware of what Jesus had said previously. If you choose not to answer, please don't post anything else unless you want to address any other topic we have been discussing.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Probably not your answers, they're evil - Christianity's evil.

Christianity is much like George Orwell's 1984; A eloquently written (for the time) but no one actually wants this "Big Brother" fiction to be true....

The big brother that appears to most to the protagonist and when you take a different perspective, he's been the antagonist all along.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation

I will give you one more chance to answer my question...

Ummm, okay. I've answered it several times. Wait which question? You've asked different ones every few posts.

What does this verse mean to you?

I'll leave you with a page that highlights 7 different interpretations, take your pick.

HERE

If you choose not to answer, please don't post anything else unless you want to address any other topic we have been discussing.

I'll post whenever I wish, and in whichever threads I wish to post in thank you. Not sure if you are serious with that "Executive Order" or not.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

Probably not your answers, they're evil - Christianity's evil.

Christianity is much like George Orwell's 1984; A eloquently written (for the time) but no one actually wants this "Big Brother" fiction to be true....

The big brother that appears to most to the protagonist and when you take a different perspective, he's been the antagonist all along.

Cool story bro.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I'll leave you with a page that highlights 7 different interpretations, take your pick.

Bingo!

This is even worse than I thought...

7 different interpretations from a single verse? lol

By the way, I wanted YOUR opinion, and YOUR own personal thoughts and conclusions about the verse.

Trying to remain neutral by not answering a simple question does not excuse you however from the folly of bible interpretation ( or should we now call it Camping Syndrome?)

I wanted to give you benefit of the doubt, that maybe you were different but it seems you and Harold both have the Camping syndrome.

Once again, Christianity and its bible have lost all credibility today.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Pardon me, but this late in the anti-Christian circle jerk I tend to get quite flippant.

It's one of my gifts.

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Pardon me, but this late in the anti-Christian circle jerk I tend to get quite flippant.

It's one of my gifts.

It's okay, you are not a bible scholar. I understand.

Jesus did give his life up for the sheep.

John 10:11
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Now the question is, what Jesus is this that you are following? Is it the Jesus that other people talk about? or is the Jesus that actually lived according to historical records. There is not a single book in the bible written by Jesus. Yet like sheep you follow what other people are saying about him...If he were alive wouldn't it be easier to just talk to him and ask him how he lived and what he meant,( if indeed he did say those things)

posted on May, 25 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

It's okay, you are not a bible scholar. I understand.

I know right! And apparently I can't even link what the scholars have to say either, it's a "lose-lose" situation!

I have no idea what you're talking about anyways, all sounds like Chinese-talk right now.

You'll have to forgive me, I just found out today my brian shrunk lots n lots after being born again.

Not before being born again, apparently right after. Lyke right after.

And now apparently I'm going to get depressed.

edit on 25-5-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join