It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In light of today's events how credible is Christianity and its bible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
How many more people must be taken advantage of before we say enough!

All through out history, the bible has been used as a weapon to kill, control, and justify heinous crimes against humanity. It is disguised as a book of love and hope... War in the middle east rages to this day because the christian god gave land to Israel without informing its occupants...

Do we need anymore stunts and predictions from this book and its believers? i know that not all christians are sheep...although Jesus calls them sheep (hilarious).

Christianity has lost all credibility today

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Short and sweet: its all nonsense.

Nonsense.

Adults and their imaginary friends and fairy tales is quite pathetic, but, heck, whatever.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveEquation

Lol. That's funny, because Harold Camping made a prediction which the Bible said is IMPOSSIBLE to make.

If anything, the Bible is MORE credible, because it says there will be false prophets in the end of times.

In fact OP, it isn't so one-sided. The Bible IS a book of love, but HUMANITY makes it out to be a weapon of War.

HUMANITY is where the fault lies - NOT the Bible.

The Bible is perfect, that's my belief. Besides, you representing -everyone- and making a bold claim such as the Bible losing all credibility today is equal to me making the claim that you, OP, are a retard.

Is it true? We both can't be right, can we?
edit on 21-5-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

The bible was written that way as a fail-safe,

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

i agree with Lionhearte,

the bible did not predict yesterday, a stupid human did, and more stupid humans just "followed"...

the bible actually says the prediction for the end of days is IMPOSSIBLE...

AND the only RULEs that are "preached" in the "Christian" bible...are love GOD
and love your fellow humans (no matter how hard that is sometimes!)...

NOTHING ELSE.

seeya

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneR

Harold is not the only one who made such a bold claim...Jesus made a bold claim too

Matthew 16v27-28
For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom

Its been almost two thousand years...either Jesus came back or those people are still alive today...or Jesus lied

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation
reply to post by shaneR

Matthew 16v27-28
For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom

Its been almost two thousand years...either Jesus came back or those people are still alive today...or Jesus lied
Don't pretend like you know what you're talking about. Jesus was referring to the Transfiguration, which the disciples (which he was talking to) witnessed in the following hours.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Could you please elaborate on how Jesus coming in his Kingdom had anything to do with transfiguration...In another place he says the same thing about people not dying till all is fulfilled...

Matthew 24v30-34
30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Could you please elaborate on how Jesus coming in his Kingdom had anything to do with transfiguration...In another place he says the same thing about people not dying till all is fulfilled...

Matthew 24v30-34
30 “Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven. And then all the peoples of the earth will mourn when they see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven, with power and great glory. And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet call, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.
“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Yes. This one is referring to us.
“Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near. 33 Even so, when you see all these things, you know that it is near, right at the door."
This is referring to the end times.

"34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened. "
"This generation" is referring tot he generation that sees these things - being this Generation, a generation being 70 years, some use this with when Israel became a nation again, in 1948, hence the "end" would be 2018, but -7 years, and you get 2011 - which explains why a lot of people believe this year would be the Rapture for some people.

There's a very small percent of Christians (maybe 5%) who believe that the Rapture will not occur until very shortly before the end - ie, 40 days before the LITERAL end of the world.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I am afraid you are not making any sense...

-Who told you Jesus was referring to your generation and not Peter's generation?
-Was Jesus talking in parables to be interpreted?
-Wasn't the temple destroyed in that Generation?
-Wasn't there a solar eclipse, lunar eclipse, earth quakes and signs in the sky just before the temple was destroyed?

going back to Matthew 16v27-28

27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done. 28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

During the transfiguration,
1. Did the disciples see Jesus coming in his father's glory, and his angels?
2. Did the disciples see people being rewarded according to what they had done?

I don't see how Jesus coming in his kingdom is the same as him talking to Elijah and Moses. I am afraid i don't see a connection

Could you please not quote when you reply...just reply to my post, or only quote the part you want to discuss
edit on 21-5-2011 by LiveEquation because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2011 by LiveEquation because: quote

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Did you really need another phony end times prediction to make that hypothesis? There's this game my friends and I play where we all write a sentence, pass it down and the next person draws a picture. We hide the sentence before and keep going in that pattern. It does not take long because what started as one message begins to change and become very strange. I'm convinced after studying the Bible that the writers also liked this game.

As others have said above, the Bible did not predict the May 21st rapture, though that doesn't credit or discredit the argument that the Bible is full of bull. As with anything so layered with bull, it contains a silver lining of truth, a hopeful and inspiring message. The argument that people should overlook the negative teachings and affects of Christianity because the core message is good is like saying drink the koolaid, theres just a little poison in it. I suggest you crack open a history book from time to time to see what that little bit of poison has done.

We could go on all day about the Bible and the mess it can and does cause, but that isn't what is most important. What's most important is that people believe this nonsense because of their own issues, their own insecurities, their own shortcomings. People go from being evil and sidistic to being a Christian because they can't handle themselves. Religion is a crutch that lets you drop on your face when YOU must take action.

People have the right to believe what they wish, but don't expect the rest of us to hold back when your tales of woe turn out to be wrong.

Son of Oda

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfOda

Couldn't have said it better myself...

The problem i have seen with the bible is people trying to derive meaning from what was written...Take for example the word 'generation' used by Jesus when he said Peter's generation would suffer the destruction of the temple...somehow that word 'generation' applies to our generation and it also means that Peter and John were to see Jesus being transfigured...

It is no wonder there are over 10,000 christian denominations...shouldn't this say something?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Christianity has lost all credibility today

LOL, no. The vast majority of Christians have been saying through this buildup that Harold Camping was proved a false prophet in 1994.

I suppose no one is listening now either?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

reply to post by shaneR

Harold is not the only one who made such a bold claim...Jesus made a bold claim too

Matthew 16v27-28

Didn't the apostle John "SEE" Jesus coming in His kingdom when he was on the Isle of Patmos receiving the vision that led to the book of Revelation?

Seems like Jesus's prophecy was incredibly precise and accurate, John did see it before he died. And wrote a book about seeing it.

*facepalm*

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Don't pretend like you know what you're talking about. Jesus was referring to the Transfiguration, which the disciples (which he was talking to) witnessed in the following hours.

No He wasn't. Jesus was speaking about John seeing the coming of His kingdom when he received the vision that turned into the book of Revelation.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

In light of today's events.....?
If you are starting a thread to bash Christianity or even to criticize the Bible there are many very legitimate arguments to attempt that. This is not one of them. This is some loony tune with a botched prophecy and a misguided interpretation.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
Short and sweet: its all nonsense.

Nonsense.

Adults and their imaginary friends and fairy tales is quite pathetic, but, heck, whatever.

A world without imaginary friends and fairy tales is a world without books, movies or games. That would be worse than pathetic - it would be painful.
Kids. Where do they get this stuff?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

1910 Halley’s Comet

Halleycometmay4-1910

"Even though Haley’s Comet had been visible many times before without any reported deaths, the passing of the comet on May 18, 1910 was thought to be a deathly threat to people because of poisonous gas coming from its tail. It is not only religious misapprehension that can cause apocalyptic panic. This may have been the first time science caused this grave fear. "

from listverse.com...

I guess we can officially debunk science now too by this logic.

How many scientist have been saying the world will be overpopulated in xxxx amount of years yet it hasnt happened..... should i go on or has the point been made?

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Actually, I'm not even a Christian, and I'd say this was a credibility boost.
The only one losing credibility was the Family Radio network, and it leader, "whats his name".
I've heard time and time again that nobody will know the moment. Except the Big guy in the sky.

so there you go.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SiKFury
reply to post by newcovenant

1910 Halley’s Comet

Halleycometmay4-1910

"Even though Haley’s Comet had been visible many times before without any reported deaths, the passing of the comet on May 18, 1910 was thought to be a deathly threat to people because of poisonous gas coming from its tail. It is not only religious misapprehension that can cause apocalyptic panic. This may have been the first time science caused this grave fear. "

from listverse.com...

I guess we can officially debunk science now too by this logic.

How many scientist have been saying the world will be overpopulated in xxxx amount of years yet it hasnt happened..... should i go on or has the point been made?

I'm sorry but what are you talking about?

And re: your last question, needless to say....no.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join