It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday promoters should be prosecuted for mass end of time suicides

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Longdead33

I think people willing to take their lives over a prediction were already looking for an excuse to do what they did. In this case for those people I am guessing they can say to themselves "I'm not the only one".

Sad, but a part of life.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm still standing, yeah, yeah,yeah!!!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Honestly anyone foolish enough to believe such hogwash and then off themselves, well that is no great loss to the genepool.

Give them a Darwin award as a warning to the gulliable.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I disagree....People who make these predictions are not forcing anyone to commit suicide. If anything, it is promoting Darwinism at its finest. That's one less idiot polluting the gene pool. Not that it matters much at this point since the gene pool is about as polluted as it can get.
edit on 21-5-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
As much as many of you will hate what I am about to say, you must also recognize that the same laws that protect us and allow us to post any number of conspiracy theories also protects those that spread such hyperbole. The fact is, those whose minds are weak enough to be convinced that the end of the world is here, probably already had a loose screw to begin with. If you start holding people liable for what they say, then where do you draw the line? Freedom of speech and expression and press and religion... they are all in the FIRST Amendment... For a reason. In order to protect the innocent, we must also defend the guilty. So, much as we may not like these dooms dayers, they have as much a right to speak THEIR truth as we do to post our theories on here.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The universe isn't obliged to conform to one's beliefs. It simply just is.
Some cannot accept it, they were born and raised indoctrinated by religion as a tool for control over masses of people.

Americans have been truly indoctrinated, they see god on their side (like every other group,race and country) but also raised on violence so they see those who oppose them to be against their country and their god, thus causing physical retaliations.

Evolution is a key player in this game, those who can accept a cosmos without their god or personal preferences are hereby the genetically superior their brain can comprehend and accept such a cosmos, while those who are evolutionarily behind, cannot accept this. Their small fragile minds are built on an idea that they are important beyond others, and their idea is right beyond all others.

So what doesit say when everyone is thinking the same thing, that none of us are right. We seek the glory of being right, why? For a short lived foolish moment of pride.

So it comes to no surprise when some groups cannot accept that other groups either don't like them or have separate opinions, so they wish for the ultimate way to win, end of the world, end of all differnt opinions.

So yes a very primitive behavior, almost Neanderthal-like. With media and general population on their side they can convince million to blow their head off, at the whim of an idea.

That is the very definition of madness, how does a species cure itself from a plague this fanatical? we either let it slide, or let evolution take care of it. Simply killing them or making them to stop believing is just as stuoid as wanting the world to end, everyone is entitled to their ideas and beliefs, however there needs to be a limit.

If every old religiously insane individual had media power, the world would be losing it's sanity. Some simple minded folk wouldn't know what to think, since 70% ( at the very very least) of Americans believe what they see tv as true, or remotely true. So everyone on television has a power of influence over a common everyday imbecile.

I could go in a redneck town, light some fore works say some freaky stuff, have an rc plane flying around and convince them I am an alien, why os it so easy? PEOPLE ARE GULIBLE!!! We are just monkeys, we haven't fell too far from the tree, we are simple minded, inferior and Delusional.

Some cannot accept reality, so they make up fantastic stories, some based off old stories they heard as kids, mixed with a bit of imagination. Simplicity at an all new low.

In a regular boring life, an apocalypse seems exciting like a fairy tale, but better everyone you don' like suffers, everyone you favor lives. A very primitive concept.

The end of the world is in a. Few BILLION (that's 9 zeros) years, so don't hold your breath.

People who bring on such actions should be punished specially when innocent lives are taken due to the infection of the delusion.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

FOOL! Genes have NOTHING to do with it. It is personal beliefs and how they are raised.
Indocrinated from youth, their DNA could be very valuable, it's how they are raised that changes the cards.

If you are brought up in a Specific group, say what you like to say, your going to agree everything that group says and if your such a die hard at halo or star wars or w.e your hobbies are now, it would epbe replaced by the religious beliefs, so in their shoes you would do the exact same thing.

You are homo sapien, not homo novus.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I suppose if I gave up my job, sold my home, packed up the wife and kids in a doomsday van and spent the lat year traveling around promoting doomsday, all because I believed in what some wackadoo claimed to be the date for the end of the world, I might be in the frame of mind to consider suicide. What a messed up situation! The main wackadoo Camping had all these wackadoo minions who believed him enough to destroy their own lives. Criminal? Yes. But, those who chose to believe are also to blame. As a previous poster said, I feel bad for the kids. Imagine being torn away from your school and/or home and forced to travel around preaching the end of the world with your wackadoo parents. Imagine being force fed the BS day in and day out. Then...THEN the parents claim that the kids are too young, and may not be raptured along with the parents. So, the kids have to deal with the thought and possibility of being left behind in hell on earth, by themselves!!! What a load of brainwashing these kids have had to endure! I'm sure they are suffering from PTSD by now. Now that Camping and their parents are wrong, they don't even know who to trust anymore. Now, THAT is criminal!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
As long as they are adults, I say let them do what they want. But as soon as there are children involved in their doomsday cults, they should be prosecuted and jailed (for child abuse).

edit on 21/5/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
IF PEOPLE ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO KILL THEMSELVES BECAUSE OF THIS,
THEN THEY #ING DESERVE IT.

GET OVER IT.

like really?
I'm clinically depressed, suicidal, with horrible anxiety.
I hate the world, I hope the end comes soon, I'm a fanatic.
But I'm not stupid enough to actually KILL myself because of a bunch of spiritual/religious BULL#.
And even if I was,
well, either the rapture happens anyway, and I die...
Or it doesn't, and I die one day along the road anyway.

Like, honestly.
I hope the end does come,
and I hope it kicks the # out of all of us.
Just because.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
WHAT AND TAKE ALL OUR FUN AWAY !!!

DAMB YOU TO HELLLLLLL !!!!!!

I keep ON waiting for this MYSTICAL/MYTHICAL/DIABOLICAL MAAAAAASS HYSTERIAAAA !?!?!?!?!?

... and I am getting OLD !

WHERE IS IT ???

WHAT IS IT ???

HOW COME IT NEEEEEVVVEEEERRR EEEVVVEEERRR COOOOOOOMES !?!?!?!?

WHY OH WHY OH WHY
WHY OH WHY OH WHY
WHY OH WHY OH WHY

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I don't see people rioting in the streets I don't see any looting or hoards of insain Christain chanting in the streets ,,, just a sepc I`ll go out on my balconey and check again .... nope seems like a typical saturdaY afternoon .

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
If I were to encourage people to believe that a secret nuclear attack against our country was underway, and as a result some commit suicide out of despair, should I be held responsible for those deaths? The only differences between that scenario and the may 21st scenario are a) my level of influence, and b) who is likely to believe each claim.

Does it make a difference if I actually believed that a nuclear attack really was imminent? Should it make any difference, legally, if I believed it for stupid reasons? For example: It is foretold by ancient scripture. I think that it should make a difference, legally. Our legal system should take the (rightful) stand that psychic or divine prophecy does not exist. Anyone promoting a doomsday scenario on grounds of prophetic scripture is guilty of criminal stupidity.

edit on 21-5-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I do think that people who spread lies and dis/mis/ false information in serious things such as the news and religion and stuff should be punished in some way. People say that we all have personal choice, but believe it or not thats partially not true. Sure its up to us to decide, but its not like we have some special power to know what the truth is 100% of the time and not make the wrong choice. Truth is everyone relies on each other for information. This is why we all have the potential to be manipulated. Ever since you are born you rely on your parents and teachers for information, hence learning in schools and stuff. Your math, english, everything, you didn't learn yourself, you relied on an external source to get that information, that knowledge. If everyone has absolute personal choice then why the heck should the gov't tell you any truth about 9/11 and terrorism, their advanced technology and knowledge, or any other important thing that the people deserve to know the truth about should what they say be a lie? Its everyone's personal choice to believe them right? So should they lie to you and you believe it its 100% your fault cause you put your belief and trust in people whom you thought were decent trustworthy individuals yet were in reality the exact opposite?

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I disagree....People who make these predictions are not forcing anyone to commit suicide. If anything, it is promoting Darwinism at its finest. That's one less idiot polluting the gene pool. Not that it matters much at this point since the gene pool is about as polluted as it can get.
edit on 21-5-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

You fail to mention that those who peddle this rubbish are idiots as well.

Lies are lies, period. And personally, I hate lies.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The same sort of thing came up before Y2K that some people could starve if they only had electric can openers and the power grid failed, well I say now what I said then, Natural Selection.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

those people dont have any real effect about it though...it alll the other ppl how predict that get there views heard on t.v and what not that we need to be concerned about...the world never going to end a rapture of thing of that nature...when it does it will be due to nuclear warfare or something

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think the ones who commit suicide for such an ignorant reason should be given the death penalty...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
They should not be prosecuted, they should be allowed to spread their message in peace, as long as they are sensible and follow the law.

If someone of their own free will commits suicide because of a religious prediction, then that is their own problem.

As much as you dislike them or disagree with them, the May 21st group are not a cult like Jonestown compelling others to commit suicide. For the sake of tolerance and freedom, they should have the right to make a prediction and advertise it if they wish.
edit on 21/5/11 by HardbeatAcolyte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
no way.
it is part of human nature.
who should get prosecuted for the ones that happen in 1000ad?
and in 2000ad? the church !
they preach the end of the world to.
so burn the bible and put all priests in jail.
this is just the same as what you say.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join