It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Goverment Ban Knives ???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Who on earth has suggested banning ALL knives?! NO-ONE HAS, and they won't. Use your common sense here guys please.

As for carrying knives in public, yes it is illegal if it is over 3 inches, sometimes I wonder about people sanity. I would prefer if any size knife was banned, for carrying in public.

People only think about carrying knives because they think others are, do you not see the vicious circle?

Look at all the gun crime in the US, you really want the UK to be like that?

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
No, NORMAL people carry Swiss Army Knives which are TOOLS that are very useful, then some people (like YOU) thought "o.m.gggggg.... those knifes could like KILLL a PERSONNNN" and threw it out of all reasonable thought just because a few people use them as weapons.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Squid. nobody wants to ban knives.

Nobody here, nobody in the government...nobody. Try looking on google news, or the BBC for the terms "knife" knives" "ban" "uk". The is nothing about any proposed legislation to ban knives.

It is a fantasy in you own mind. Get it?

So quit abusing people.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This thread started with some rather strange claims - a total ban on knives in the UK - not being backed up by anything else than the author saying "I heard it on the news". Nothing - nothing about it to be found anywhere on any of the reliable sources on the internet. Hearsay is an understatement in this case. And five pages of this nonsense? Gimme a break...

[edit on 6-8-2004 by Durden]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
You know if you threw a shoe hard enough, you might be able to kill someone. Perhaps a ban on shoes is in order?

- Was

[edit on 7-8-2004 by Wassabi]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wassabi
You know if you threw a shoe hard enough, you mihgt be able to kill someone. Perhaps a ban on shoes is in order?

- Was

You know, I heard on the news the other day that the ban on shoes is actually going to happen - worldwide!!

[edit on 6-8-2004 by Durden]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA!!! ... NOT FUNNY

The actual claim I made was they were going to ban them being used in public, as serrious a case as carrying a gun.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by muppet
Squid. nobody wants to ban knives.

Nobody here, nobody in the government...nobody. Try looking on google news, or the BBC for the terms "knife" knives" "ban" "uk". The is nothing about any proposed legislation to ban knives.

It is a fantasy in you own mind. Get it?

So quit abusing people.

Oh, really? Here's that internet link on the BBC that DOESNT EXIST.... BY THE WAY - news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I fully support the banning of any 'right' to casually wander about the place armed with a knife. What the hell does anyone need to do that for?

However, I do not believe anyone is going to 'ban knives' in the broad sense that Squid has implied.....and posting up something from cBBC (children's BBC) as if that were so is not on.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is very similar to the hype and screaming going on about computer games this past week or so in the UK. Just cause some wack job 16 yr old kills someone with a crowbar, and says Manhunt (the game) made him do it. Now the murdered kids parents are suing Rockstar and Sony for �60 million!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( i have every sympathy to the murdered persons parents, but it aint Rockstars fault)

Not that Manhunt has an 18 cert, and he shouldn't have been allowed to play it in the 1st place (where are the parents here???). This is the culture we have now, where people dont take responsibility for their actions and blame something else.

I play manhunt, in fact i play many games where animated characters are killed. But I dont go out and blow up cars, shoot people, or smack their head in with a bat do I??? F*cking retards, I hate the general public... or sheeple as I call them, as we are always panicking about bollocks, and not thinking for ourselves.....

GET A GRIP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Who on earth has suggested banning ALL knives?! NO-ONE HAS, and they won't.

- yeah but then Squid doesn't get to bitch about this gov banning things if he admits to that.

As for carrying knives in public, yes it is illegal if it is over 3 inches, sometimes I wonder about people sanity. I would prefer if any size knife was banned, for carrying in public.

- I totally agree, does that make us both freedom-hating marxists?

Look at all the gun crime in the US, you really want the UK to be like that?

- Squid seeems to think that kind of thing - with assault weapons - is great, a 'right' no less.

Fortunately the rest of us are a tad more sane and wouldn't legalise guns generally in a million years.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

This is very similar to the hype and screaming going on about computer games this past week or so in the UK. Just cause some wack job 16 yr old kills someone with a crowbar, and says Manhunt (the game) made him do it.

- no it isn't.

An isolated civil claim is nothing like a government proposal to outlaw the carrying of knoves in public.

Not that Manhunt has an 18 cert, and he shouldn't have been allowed to play it in the 1st place (where are the parents here???). This is the culture we have now, where people dont take responsibility for their actions and blame something else.

- Actually I agree with you. Parents shouldn't use their TV & electronic goods to mind their kids for them.....and certainly not then complain if they don't like the content.

I play manhunt, in fact i play many games where animated characters are killed. But I dont go out and blow up cars, shoot people, or smack their head in with a bat do I??? F*cking retards, I hate the general public... or sheeple as I call them, as we are always panicking about bollocks, and not thinking for ourselves.....

GET A GRIP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- er, yeah, get a grip indeed.

I agree that violent game content is no reason to ban a 'game'....but as for the rest of your diatribe of hating the public? You're welcome to your psycology, my sympathies.

But I do suggest you get a grip.

There was no 'wave of panic' over this game and the proposal on knives is nothing like your impressions about the parents attempting to take this civil action.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Er actually Sminkey pinkey... there was a wave of panic. The times alone ran several stories on it all last week and the sun did its usual over reacting hype, plus the BBC covered it.

And saying this is a civil claim and not similar, it is..

NZ and France have already banned it, and there is currently a debate going in our own country (along with others).

I was merely pointing out the knee jerk reaction by the media led public, believing everything they are told in the news. For you post your reply as above, without actually looking into what i said, i think was a little premature and certainly not well thought through.

As for my public rant, I have dealt with many retarded f*ckwits in my time, more than you could care to count. And all because they are incapable of thinking for themselves. I would say that 80-90% of the population would fall into the category of a sheeple, as no one thinks for themselves, or takes any responsibility, just blindly go about bleeting and moaning whenver something isn't done for them, or theres hell to pay if they actually have to do something themselves!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Squid has posted his source, did ou not read it? probably not, like most people you like to jump on the bandwagons of banning everything. Muppet, were you the one who was quoted "I don't know anything about guns except I hate them!" That quote is found in just about every anti-gun site made. Google that quote and ytou will find it. But does no one look at the facts? England banned guns, crime rate goes up. Australia bans guns, crime rate goes up. Hmmm, ban guns, crime rate goes up. But according to "Guns were created by satan and only satan worshippers support guns" people that doesn't mean anything. Had a arguement before on here with a person who said the same things muppet and company are, I posted about 20 links to credable news sources showing them they were wrong, and what does the person do? Goes on a rant of how guns are evil I'm evil anyone who supports guns are evil with some very colorful language and got banned from the pit.

People, guns are not dangerous. If you see a gun laying on the ground it will not jump up and shoot you. If you see a knife on a table it will not jump up and stab you. A game does not jump up and kill you. Only people who blame guns, knives, games, evrything but themselves, are in a river in Arfrica.(the Nile, Denile for those who don't get it) In the 50's we had guns and knives and they weren't a problem. In the 1500's we had knives and no one believed that a knife used psychic powers to make you grab it and stab someone with it. In the past you stabbed someone, you were blamed and sent to jail. The knife wasn't at fault, or the gun, or the car, or the chair, or whatever. But nowadays it is never your fault. "Yes I killed eight people, but it wasn't my fault, the gun made me do it, send that to jail."

A gun is a dangerous as a baseball bat. If used correctly it is a tool to play a sport, hunting or target shooting, and of course baseball. But if I take a baseball bat and crush your head in, should we ban all bats? That's what anti-gun people believe. "Well it could kill a person if in the wrong hands, BAN IT!"

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
...A game does not jump up and kill you. ...

But it would be a very intense and cool game if it tried too.

- Was

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Er actually Sminkey pinkey... there was a wave of panic. The times alone ran several stories on it all last week and the sun did its usual over reacting hype, plus the BBC covered it.

- oh get real, when was the last time a media story, genuinely, was a 'wave of panic' about anything?

I was merely pointing out the knee jerk reaction by the media led public, believing everything they are told in the news.

- I'm sorry I don't believe anyone barring the handful of news-nuts were in the least bit concerned (and certainly even fewer were consumed) by this story.

It's a 'special interest' modern-day news story = hardly anyone was in the slightest bit bothered about it, if they knew about it at all.

For you post your reply as above, without actually looking into what i said, i think was a little premature and certainly not well thought through.

- Maybe you can see the assumptions in your post I found strange now?

As for my public rant, I have dealt with many retarded f*ckwits in my time, more than you could care to count. And all because they are incapable of thinking for themselves. I would say that 80-90% of the population would fall into the category of a sheeple, as no one thinks for themselves, or takes any responsibility, just blindly go about bleeting and moaning whenver something isn't done for them, or theres hell to pay if they actually have to do something themselves!!!

- er, righto. Whatever you say. Have a nice one.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Squid,

That's a children's news site, aimed at children. It appears they are talking about a ban on children carrying knives in schools, NOT a ban on knives. They have worded it somewhat ambiguously, which is unusual for the BBC. I'll drop them a line. They're generally very good about corrections.

One would also have to wonder why such a story isn't mentioned anywhere on the main BBC news site. A search of the main BBC site brings up only these two stories about knife legislation, neither of which say anything about banning them.

news.bbc.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...

I did find this post on some message board, which may refer the legislation you are talking about
meefo.com...

David Blunkett, *cough* w***r *cough*, is wanting to make the punishment for having a knife in school the same as having a gun, from 4 years to life imprisonment.

It looks like the "ban" you are referring to, is the banning of children carrying knives at school. I can see where the misunderstanding has come from.

I for one am quite happy for knives to be banned at school. Who wouldn't be?

[edit on 7-8-2004 by muppet]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Ok, if a few news stories hardly constitutes a wave of panic, what the f*ck is this thread about then?

erm................hang on

erm...............nearly got it...........

A few news stories about knives perhaps??

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

...........A gun is a dangerous as a baseball bat. If used correctly it is a tool to play a sport, hunting or target shooting, and of course baseball. But if I take a baseball bat and crush your head in, should we ban all bats? That's what anti-gun people believe. "Well it could kill a person if in the wrong hands, BAN IT!"

- No the point we were talking about was about wandering around in public with knives.

I'm happy to see that banned.

....and yes wandering about at say 1am with bats, golf clubs etc would or should need a pretty damn good excuse too IMO.

As for guns? Tough. Gone and never coming back.

1 less source of supply for the crims, and if you're a european get used to it.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Ok, if a few news stories hardly constitutes a wave of panic, what the f*ck is this thread about then?

erm................hang on

erm...............nearly got it...........

A few news stories about knives perhaps??

- here's a clue.....it's not a 'wave of panic' whatever you think it is.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join