It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

UK Goverment Ban Knives ???

page: 3
0
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
England, Wales and Scotland... AS LONG AS THEY WERE A STRAIGHT PULL!! jesus you ALL seem to be missing that bit. That law is still in place where I live.




posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
England, Wales and Scotland... AS LONG AS THEY WERE A STRAIGHT PULL!! jesus you ALL seem to be missing that bit. That law is still in place where I live.


- Well thank God for the ban then. I'm very happy to hear they are no longer 'legal' (if they ever really were).



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
Guns and knives are not weopons. They are tools. And just like the pencil anyone can turn them into deadly tools.


Gun's aren't weapons? What are they used for other than shooting at people, animals, or targets?



A gun cant hurt anyone without someone pulling the trigger a knife cant hurt someone without the appropriate kinectic energy.


And a person without a gun cannot shoot you. A person without a knife cannot stab you. Trust me, our way results in a LOT less killing.


I heard the UK government is banning martial arts, is this true?


No, I've never heard of anything like this, and it seems unlikely.

Things like this tend to make news when they are first proposed, just because the mere proposal is newsworthy, but bad ideas tend to be abandoned or delayed indefinitely. Banning martial arts is one of those things that would never get through. The thing is proposals being dropped is never as exciting news so doesn't make the headlines.



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
Before my feet went out on me, I could sometimes be found carrying a knife of some sort once in awhile.
I'm a herbalist, and well, they are useful once in awhile....


As long as you're not getting drunk in gangs and hanging around street corners late at night, I don't think you'd be affected!


You don't, do you?


[edit on 3-8-2004 by muppet]



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Muppet, Stop quoting people, saying the same things and insulting peoples intelligence... or generally just being EXTREAMLY annoying.



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
What the hell is anyone supposed to 'need' an assault rifle (any kind) outside of the military for anyway?



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
For interest, I happen to be interested in collecting WW2 Millitary weapons, alot of people do have that same interest, some like collecting modern ones, or ones from other wars. Also people may want and AR-15 to use for practical shooting.



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
What the hell is anyone supposed to 'need' an assault rifle (any kind) outside of the military for anyway?


Ummmm, HELLO! How do you think Swiss Cheese is made?

I think the whole knife thing is going way over the top though. What's next rounded tipped scissors?



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Squid,

sorry it annoys you, but it makes the thread easier to read for non participants. I don't think it insults anyone's intelligence, unless they're insecure in that area in the first place.



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by muppet

Originally posted by Vegemite
Guns and knives are not weopons. They are tools. And just like the pencil anyone can turn them into deadly tools.


Gun's aren't weapons? What are they used for other than shooting at people, animals, or targets?



A gun cant hurt anyone without someone pulling the trigger a knife cant hurt someone without the appropriate kinectic energy.


And a person without a gun cannot shoot you. A person without a knife cannot stab you. Trust me, our way results in a LOT less killing.


I heard the UK government is banning martial arts, is this true?


No, I've never heard of anything like this, and it seems unlikely.



and you say this ISNT insulting anyones intelligence?

You also accused me of own illegal weaponary, and being unresponsible

you also just quote whatever sombody says when they are trying to be creative and say "what?! these can be used for weapons so they should be banned! knife?! since when is that a TOOL?!"

its extreamly annoying and doesnt help at all, please be creative or drop the topic.

[edit on 3-8-2004 by The_Squid]



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
lil late posting this but a school near me, a man went on a rampage in a nursery with a machette. the nursery nurse has won awards now for the protection she gave the children, she had most the nerves n tentonds severed in her arm if i remember rightly



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
England, Wales and Scotland... AS LONG AS THEY WERE A STRAIGHT PULL!! jesus you ALL seem to be missing that bit. That law is still in place where I live.


i don't think there is such a thing as a straight-pull assault rifle. assault rifles are at a minimum semi-automatic by definition i think, as well as being massed-fire weapons, giving them a uniquely military purpose. they're banned in the us and they're banned in the uk, and rightly so IMO.

-koji K>

[edit on 3-8-2004 by koji_K]



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
no, an assult rifle is the type of weapon it is designed to be, if you take that weapon and put a more powerful spring in then the gunpowder wont have the power to kick the slide back, so you have to rack it each time. If you do that it used to be legal in the UK to own one like that, and where i live its still legal to own one like that.



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Squid,

I've never accused you of owning illegal weaponry, or being irresponsible. I DID say that anyone who thinks they NEED guns to defend themselves in the UK is in my view too paranoid to own them.

Maybe you should use the quote function. It can help avoid confusion like this.

As to your creativity point, what on earth are you talking about? What's wrong with pointing out when a proposal is being misinterpreted? No-one is proposing the banning of knifes or pointed objects under normal use.


[edit on 3-8-2004 by muppet]



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
For interest, I happen to be interested in collecting WW2 Millitary weapons, alot of people do have that same interest, some like collecting modern ones, or ones from other wars.
Also people may want and AR-15 to use for practical shooting.


- Here is my objection. What on earth is there in the way of 'practical shooting' to be had from a functional Assault rifle?

Why prance about with that stuff anyway? You were complaining about criminal behaviour so you must be aware that even replicas are used to intimidate and threaten. Plus there's the small matter that you stand a fair chance of being shot by the an armed response unit of the UK cops if you get seen outside with one. How can they tell the difference?

But really, come on, assault rifles?

No way what the hell for?



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
they have not been missinterprited, that is just YOUR opinion. So dont yell at them for being wrong unless you have proof your right.

I will now get the quotation of u saying what I said u said to me.



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
quote: Originally posted by The_Squid
My problem? the fact that MOST LAWS ON MY ISLAND ARE THE SAME AS THE UK LAWS perhaps?!?

- OK then agitate for your parliament to have greater independance.

Strange though because as I understand it your Parliament doesn't have to accept any Westminster law if they really don't want it.

quote: and the UK goverment still annoys me upon how STUPID and IRRATIONAL they are...

- Oh, Boo hoo hoo, I'd say they were being responsive to the public mood, kind of thing that's meant to happen in a democracy, you know?

quote: oh and the big about the stolen guns?
Not my fault at all, its the PERSON that kills the children not the fact that they are my guns.

- What a surprise. Not even the tinniest acceptance that you would have helped (by your illegal possession) the tragedy arise.

Tell me do you just leave them lying about too or do you accept any responsibility there - even though as you say if it isn't actually you working them at the time it's nothing to do with you...?

Excuse me, but I am a LEGAL gun owner, and I have a Gun Cabinate with a lock on it (as is legally required) to keep them safe, so if sombody DID steal them, its not my fault at all.


signature
The Squid is online with DISASTER time! - The Squid

quote: Originally posted by The_Squid
Excuse me, but I am a LEGAL gun owner,

- Ha! I wondered if you were going to pull that one. But we were talking about illegal knives and guns were we not? You talked about the proposed new law and the gun ban didn't you?

quote: and I have a Gun Cabinate with a lock on it (as is legally required) to keep them safe, so if sombody DID steal them, its not my fault at all.

- so perhaps you accept that some responsibility does extend beyond whether or how you personally pull a trigger or not then, huh?


THERE is your quote SIR, would you like a coffee after sir?



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey

Originally posted by The_Squid
For interest, I happen to be interested in collecting WW2 Millitary weapons, alot of people do have that same interest, some like collecting modern ones, or ones from other wars.
Also people may want and AR-15 to use for practical shooting.


- Here is my objection. What on earth is there in the way of 'practical shooting' to be had from a functional Assault rifle?

Why prance about with that stuff anyway? You were complaining about criminal behaviour so you must be aware that even replicas are used to intimidate and threaten. Plus there's the small matter that you stand a fair chance of being shot by the an armed response unit of the UK cops if you get seen outside with one. How can they tell the difference?

But really, come on, assault rifles?

No way what the hell for?


Practical Shooting AR-15's are downgraded to .22 Ammunition and used as semi-auto. People find practical shooting fun, I know I do.



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Ummmm, HELLO! How do you think Swiss Cheese is made?


- yes, how silly of me, there's the UK replica Swiss Cheese industry wiped out, damn!


I think the whole knife thing is going way over the top though. What's next rounded tipped scissors?


- It's about outcomes IMO.

IMO this is a little like the wailing in the UK about the proposal that the gov ban parents smacking their kids.

Apparantly this is an incredible infringement on parental rights - according to some.

Presumably those that wish to be allowed to hit their kids.....they believe it works for some reason despite the 2nd smack being the proof that it doesn't, but anyway.....

In the UK 30+ kids a year die from being beaten by their parents.

In Sweden (where smacking is banned) that figure is around 2.

I know which outcome I prefer. If it can be done why aren't we doing it?



posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
quote: Originally posted by The_Squid
My problem? the fact that MOST LAWS ON MY ISLAND ARE THE SAME AS THE UK LAWS perhaps?!?

- OK then agitate for your parliament to have greater independance.

Strange though because as I understand it your Parliament doesn't have to accept any Westminster law if they really don't want it.

quote: and the UK goverment still annoys me upon how STUPID and IRRATIONAL they are...

- Oh, Boo hoo hoo, I'd say they were being responsive to the public mood, kind of thing that's meant to happen in a democracy, you know?

quote: oh and the big about the stolen guns?
Not my fault at all, its the PERSON that kills the children not the fact that they are my guns.

- What a surprise. Not even the tinniest acceptance that you would have helped (by your illegal possession) the tragedy arise.

Tell me do you just leave them lying about too or do you accept any responsibility there - even though as you say if it isn't actually you working them at the time it's nothing to do with you...?

Excuse me, but I am a LEGAL gun owner, and I have a Gun Cabinate with a lock on it (as is legally required) to keep them safe, so if sombody DID steal them, its not my fault at all.


signature
The Squid is online with DISASTER time! - The Squid

quote: Originally posted by The_Squid
Excuse me, but I am a LEGAL gun owner,

- Ha! I wondered if you were going to pull that one. But we were talking about illegal knives and guns were we not? You talked about the proposed new law and the gun ban didn't you?

quote: and I have a Gun Cabinate with a lock on it (as is legally required) to keep them safe, so if sombody DID steal them, its not my fault at all.

- so perhaps you accept that some responsibility does extend beyond whether or how you personally pull a trigger or not then, huh?


THERE is your quote SIR, would you like a coffee after sir?



Errr.. right. Maybe if you go back and read the thread a little slower you'll notice those aren't my words.

That, my friend, is why we use the quote function.


two sugars btw. plenty of milk.




top topics



 
0
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join