It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Goverment Ban Knives ???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think huge swords like ninja blades, stuff like that should be banned. Think of all the mess it can cause if it goes into the wrong hands. We should have some sort of way of protecting ourselves, im not saying we should be carrying weapons around with us, but banning all knives is extreme. Next it will be forks

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala

Ok Se7en is right this thread is about knifes, We have plenty of topics on gun laws, Please read through them as they cover allot of what is being said here,

Now lets get back to knife's.

Do we think all should be banned?
Or just certain ones?

Maybe the length/style should be looked at...

What about flick knife's?? There small, usefull ? but they are used often as a Weapon, Should they be banned?

Flick knifes and Brass Knuckles are banned because they are counted as offencive weapons.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Well, the arguement went off course because people want to ban knives, like they did guns. Oh, and guess what? Englands crime rate has gone up since the gun ban! Same with Australia.Info on this here.......

That was nothing to do with the gun ban, since guns were never carried as self defense in the first place. The crime rise is related to drugs, gangs and other social issues. It's been illegal to carry a gun in public for decades..... so there is absolutely no connection.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Asala

Do we think all should be banned?
Or just certain ones?

Maybe the length/style should be looked at...

What about flick knife's?? They�re small, useful? But they are used often as a Weapon, Should they be banned?

I don�t think all knives should be banned I think anything over a 1 inch blade is illegal to be carried weapon wise if your caught carrying one have a good excuse for it.

But think about those Swiss army knives and leathermans you can buy those are used for a rage of things and do come in handy if the government did ban knives those would go out the window and those knives have saved lives over the years.

As for other ones like swords I think you should have a collector�s licence to collect samurai swords and other movie weapons wouldn't surprise me if this did happen at some point.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
without the use of guns, i suppose the knife is the easiest alternative and even if [i doubt it though] they are banned, they are too common for the ban to have any immediate or long term effect.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by muppet

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Well, the arguement went off course because people want to ban knives, like they did guns. Oh, and guess what? Englands crime rate has gone up since the gun ban! Same with Australia.Info on this here.......

That was nothing to do with the gun ban, since guns were never carried as self defense in the first place. The crime rise is related to drugs, gangs and other social issues. It's been illegal to carry a gun in public for decades..... so there is absolutely no connection.

I know people that if they goto N.Ireland carry a handgun for selfdefence, loads of people carry handguns for self defence! So I dont know where that came from!! The crime rise IS related to drugs, gangs and crime sindicates... so why not legalise drugs?? It would make all/most of those problems go away, instead of legallising the weapons which clearly doesnt work!!

Heres a thread stating how most of the problems would just dissapear if drugs were legal, and how drugs are only dangerous because they are illegal! - www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
I know people that if they goto N.Ireland carry a handgun for selfdefence,

- Frankly Squid, (unless they are authorised and 'connected') I simply don't believe you. The checks are still sufficient to make this extremely difficult.

....and I have to say even if it were true, as well as being utterly ridiculous it seems to me to be a superb way of ending up killed in short order.

In the even that a gun was drawn a couple of outcomes are most likely. The paramilitaries would be liable to take you away to 'play' for several excruiciating hours before they disposed of your corpse on wasteground somewhere or if the authorities saw you you would be most likely to shoot you dead on sight.

loads of people carry handguns for self defence!

- by "loads" I take it you know, what 1, 2 or 3? ......and you know for a fact that they wander about 'armed'? On the IoM? For self defense? With it's miniscule crime rate? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

....or is this just 'mates' bragging on the phone (no doubt in 'special code talk')? Hmmm credible? I think not.

So I dont know where that came from!!

- er, it comes from most of us in the UK having nothing to do with guns.

The crime rise IS related to drugs, gangs and crime sindicates... so why not legalise drugs?? It would make all/most of those problems go away,

- Now this I will agree with. Except for the "legalisation" bit.

Decriminalise is my preference and it is absolutely not the same thing.

I agree that most of the damage that comes from "drugs" comes from the illegal market itself which has an interest in selling people other drugs beyond the relatively low risk smoke and e's (far and away the biggest 'slice' of the market)....and the violence and brutality the illegal status brings (when was the last time you heard of a 'turf war' between public boozing bars?)

The remaining risk IMO is through the low quality of the drugs themselves being either not what they are claimed to be, adulterated with God knows what or being too pure on accassion.

I don't agree with a straigt-forward "legalisation" as I think as a society we have a right to ensure greater safeguards are being employed in this area.

Right now we have little or no control in this subject, IMO the point is to develop some.

instead of legallising the weapons which clearly doesnt work!!

- Rubbish. The fact that the UK is pretty much gun-free and has a very low level of gun crime (despite the attempts to inflate the fear) is proof enough of how wrong you are on this.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:01 AM
link   

- by "loads" I take it you know, what 1, 2 or 3? ......and you know for a fact that they wander about 'armed'? On the IoM? For self defense? With it's miniscule crime rate? Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?

Did I say people carry guns for defence on the IoM? NO I DIDNT!! I Said NORTHERN IRELAND, so get your facts right before you critisize

....or is this just 'mates' bragging on the phone (no doubt in 'special code talk')? Hmmm credible? I think not.

No, as I said again nobody I know carries a firearm for defence on the island, and everyone that owns a gun in your opinion has no responsibility! Grow up, 99% of people who legally own firearms are very responsible!

- er, it comes from most of us in the UK having nothing to do with guns.

well perhaps because your in the UK where you know little about gun factors because guns are illegal, and as you say you have "nothing to do with guns" since you know sod all please actually think and find out information before you judge somthing, its just like 85% of the population, "if its illegal, its bad" like nearly everyones opinion on drugs.

- Rubbish. The fact that the UK is pretty much gun-free and has a very low level of gun crime (despite the attempts to inflate the fear) is proof enough of how wrong you are on this.

Errr, clearly it DOESNT work as gun crime has gone UP, unless OF COURSE you live in a mirror universe.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Did I say people carry guns for defence on the IoM? NO I DIDNT!! I Said NORTHERN IRELAND, so get your facts right before you critisize

- you didn't actually. You didn't actually say where so it was reasonable to take it you meant from your own local I think.

Yeah of course there are more than a few armed people in NI society.....and given the obvious reasons you think that in any way 'good'? Bloody hell. You have little or no clue about NI do you?

No, as I said again nobody I know carries a firearm for defence on the island, and everyone that owns a gun in your opinion has no responsibility! Grow up, 99% of people who legally own firearms are very responsible!

- well if you are referring to NI that is plain wrong.

Obviously 99% of people with firearms in NI shouldn't have them as they are illegal and those that do legally have them IMO would much rather live like the rest of the UK without them. Sure I can't speak for all but I know a few people myself.

well perhaps because your in the UK where you know little about gun factors because guns are illegal, and as you say you have "nothing to do with guns" since you know sod all please actually think and find out information before you judge somthing, its just like 85% of the population, "if its illegal, its bad" like nearly everyones opinion on drugs.

- er, I live in NI. I therefore think I have a much better idea of what happens when a society goes nuts about guns and there are a lot of them around etc etc.

-Errr, clearly it DOESNT work as gun crime has gone UP, unless OF COURSE you live in a mirror universe.

- Whilst it is true that, historically speaking, gun crime in the UK has gone up (even accepting headlines like 50%!, 100%! rises etc etc) the fact is the starting 'base' is so low that it is, for most, never going to be a factor in their lives. Outside of the cities it is extremely rare and the numbers affected in a city of 10million like London are a tiny tiny fraction.

Wake up.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Gun crime down by the way.

There were 10,248 gun crimes - 0.41% of all crime - in the year to March 2003.

But only 9% resulted in injury.

There were 81 homicides involving firearms compared with 97 the year before.

The number of firearm robberies dropped by 13%.

And the use of handguns to commit a crime dropped by 6% or 5,549 offences.

Two out of every three gun crimes not involving air weapons were in London, Greater Manchester or the West Midlands.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
People who are authorised can and will carry firearms around with them if they are going somewhere dangerous (N.Ireland for example) for personal protection against theives, muggers, armed robbers, ect...

I was saying in general 99% of all LEGAL gun owers are very trustworthy like in france, iom, italy... and other places.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I know people that if they goto N.Ireland carry a handgun for selfdefence, loads of people carry handguns for self defence! So I dont know where that came from!!

Bull#. You're either naive, lying or hang around with criminals. I'm guessing a combination of the first two.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by muppet

Bull#. You're either naive, lying or hang around with criminals. I'm guessing a combination of the first two.

- yeah possibly but note how this tale is subtly changing.

Now what he really means, apparantly, is the couple of hundred personnel cleared to hold self protection weapons in Northern Ireland.

I have no idea how this is meant to transpose to the general public and remain a 'good thing'.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
yup, I noticed. Did you also notice earlier in the thread where we talked about speed limits on th IoM, he referred to his dad driving 100 mph between villages, not him? You can tell school's out for summer!!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I am not lying I know a few class 5 weapons dealers, they are allowed to carry firearms on their person if they choose to when they go to area's that are dangerous, like places where muggings are a common thing, ect

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
May 2, 2018

It seems that the U.K. has regressed. POTATO PEELERS are now banned in public.
www.infowars.com...

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
So, no pudding?

Hear me out...

No knives = no meat.

No meat = no pudding.... How can you have any pudding, if you don't eat your meat!!!???

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join