It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Goverment Ban Knives ???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:40 AM
link   
In the UK, The stabbing of a 14 year old child in a school by a 16 year old who used a 6" kitchen knife to stab the boy to death. The 16 year old has recived a "life sentence" in prison.

This incident has now lead the goverment to putting X-Ray machines at the doors in the schools to check for knifes, and are also thinking of using the same ban on carrying guns, with knifes. This would mean a 5 year prison sentence if you were caught with a knife on your person, wether it was used or not.

This has happened in the UK so many times with things, I HATE the UK goverment and wish sombody decent stepped in!!

A person went on a rampage with a straight pull assult rifle (not fully auto... not even semi auto). Next thing is they ban assult rifles, Same thing with pistols... and now KNIFES?!

Well excuse me but that is way to much over the top in my opinion!!
what does anyone else think??

[edit on 3-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
You gotta be #tin me. Where did you hear this? I never imagined the Brits could get so anal retentive about something. So, no knives allowed, does this mean kitchen utensils? How the hell you gonna cut steak, cake, or kidney pie?

Please tell me this is a joke.......

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Mate I heard this on "Near Future Plans" on the news, this aint a joke as far as I know, and I know what ya mean... how are we supposed to eat things??

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
can we ban stupidity, seems like it would take care of alot of the problems.
I agree, it's getting rediculous. Kids here get suspended for butter knives in school. along with alot of other stupid things. To me a pencil would be more dangerous than a butter knife. I'm waiting for them to ban those. every day, the teachers can pass them out in class, them confiscate them from the kids before the leave the class. seriously, it's getting that stupid.
and unfortunately, I don't believe it is that healthy for the kids. They need to learn how to use knives intelligently in order to function in the real world. they can't do that without having access to knives to begin with. I'm just using the knives as an example. But, well, when I was a kid, I was running all over the place at about 5 years of age, it was safe. Now, it seems like you are expected to keep your eyes on your kids until they are teenagers, they you let them lose. Well, they've had no independence until that time, no time to test their wings without mommy's supervision. Then suddenly, there is no one there telling them that hey, you shouldn't be doing that....
well, many seem to not have learned why they shouldn't be doing that, outside of course that mommy says not to.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Lol, it has always been the case that if you are stopped with a knife that has a blade over 3 inches long you can be charged with carring a weapon.

Don't see anything wrong with that. What would your excuse for having a 6inch carving knife tucked in your belt at school or at the supermarket?

It does not mean having large blades at home or on your own property is illegal.

You are jumping to conclusions.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
In Seattle it is legal to carry both guns and knives on ones person, concealed, for personal protection. We havent had any serious problems or increase in crime because of it, just the run of the mill hoodlum crap that goes with urban environments. The only increase in problems we had was when the L.A. gangs moved up here.

So banning solves nothing, and I disagree children should be kept safe by any means. That train of thought leads to people plnating microchips in thier kids and such. Children need to learn on thier own sometimes how to survive in the world, cuz mommy and daddy aint gonna be around forever.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Lol, it has always been the case that if you are stopped with a knife that has a blade over 3 inches long you can be charged with carring a weapon.

Don't see anything wrong with that. What would your excuse for having a 6inch carving knife tucked in your belt at school or at the supermarket?

It does not mean having large blades at home or on your own property is illegal.

You are jumping to conclusions.

You beat me to it

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Squid
This incident has now lead the goverment to putting X-Ray machines at the doors in the schools to check for knifes, and are also thinking of using the same ban on carrying guns, with knifes.

This hasn't actually happened yet.. it's just being argued for in some quarters. Some schools that have a problem with gang violence my choose to implement something like this, but the vast majority won't, and it's up to the schools, not the government to decide.

This would mean a 5 year prison sentence if you were caught with a knife on your person, wether it was used or not.

We already have law's against carrying an offensive weapon, which could be anything depending on the circumstances.. even a cricket bat or golf club, if you were arrested chasing someone down the street at 2am, could count as an offensive weapon.

If you have a genuine reason for having the knife with you, (and self defense is not a genuine reason), you wouldn't have a problem, and probably still wouldn't under any new legislation.

This has happened in the UK so many times with things, I HATE the UK goverment and wish sombody decent stepped in!!
A person went on a rampage with a straight pull assult rifle (not fully auto... not even semi auto). Next thing is they ban assult rifles, Same thing with pistols... and now KNIFES?!

The vast majority of people(in the UK) have no problem with guns of any sort being illegal. There has never been a gun culture over here. Most people would never dream of owning a gun, even for "personal protection". What's the point? Gun crime in the UK almost exclusively gang/drug related.. so if you're not a criminal with gun-toting enemies, you are most likely never going to see a gun in your whole life(unless carried by a soldier or copper), let alone have one pointed at you.

Basically, why would anyone want a weapon, if they weren't at least considering using it on someone?

All that said though, I do disagree on principle with knee jerk legislation. New laws should never be introduced until you are enforcing the old ones properly. Knife issues, as above, are already covered by law.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I agree somewhat, but i mean in a place like a school ect, places whrere they are ment to be kept safe,
Why do they need a knife at school?

As a kid i was allowed to play with a knife, In the woods ect, my dad allowed me to learn how to use one for survival,

But there are them kids who just want to be big and its them who make mistakes, and inturn injure or even kill another child,.

I say teach them how to use one, Teach them there not a toy,

But Theres a lot of kids in the UK who's familys dont really care if they walk out with a big knife ect

[edit on 3-8-2004 by asala]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The law of the 3" knife is fine by me, but what the goverment is doing now is rediculous, I was suspended from school for having a micro penknife on my key chain, the knife was barly 1" long, and the blade was blunted, it was only there really for decoration. Some person told a teacher I had a knife, the police were called and I was almost expelled for that, They were fine with me having it on my keychain until that day... guess why? The day before was the day that child got stabbed with a 6" kitchen knife on the other side of the country.

Its this type of reaction I HATE about people, just one thing bad happens they panic and over react because most people cant think for themselves.

So if somthing bad happens the goverment ban it to make people feel safe, unless its impossible to ban (Baseball Bat, Brick, pen...ect)

One day I want to get a pencil and stab sombody with it and send them to hospital... im not going to do it however, but I want to see how helpless the goverment look when they cant ban the pencil, yet sombody still got stabbed with it.

Im no phyco im just trying to prove a point... I hope you have got that point

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Why carry any weapon if youre not going to use it?

What a joke. For personal protection. Why else? yes, you might have to use it. Better be still sucking in air than some punk or loser.

Teaching kids responsible use of weaponry is essential. But individuals need to eb dealt with, not penalizing the whole system because of a couple of morons.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by muppet

The vast majority of people(in the UK) have no problem with guns of any sort being illegal. There has never been a gun culture over here. Most people would never dream of owning a gun, even for "personal protection". What's the point? Gun crime in the UK almost exclusively gang/drug related.. so if you're not a criminal with gun-toting enemies, you are most likely never going to see a gun in your whole life(unless carried by a soldier or copper), let alone have one pointed at you.

Basically, why would anyone want a weapon, if they weren't at least considering using it on someone?

I know LOADS of people with weapons in their home, I personally have 2 rifles, a pistol, a machete, a collection of axes, a baseball bat, a set of golf clubs... and you say that not many people have weapons??!! thats just ME

I know PLENTLY of people with alot of weapons like me, if not more.

The goverment just thought that because one man, ONE man out of several million, attacked people with an assult rifle... or a pistol, or a knife now. That they would ban them (try to ban the knife) that is what I HATE, I think it was about 2-3 Million gun owners that had to surrender their pistols and assult rifles when they were collected in.

So dont give me this sh*t "not many people care about guns... ect..." because its not true!!

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Squid, I totally agree with you that politics these days is far too much about simple, ill thought out solutions aimed at winning the popular vote. Other than more people taking an active interest in parliamentary politics (as opposed to lobbying groups or single issue activism), I don't really know what can be done about this..

Skadi, I think it depends on where you're from. In the US I realise the situation is totally different. If the criminals are all carrying guns as a matter of course, then maybe it IS a good thing to carry your own.

[edit on 3-8-2004 by muppet]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   

So dont give me this sh*t "not many people care about guns... ect..." because its not true!!

I said "the vast majority", not "all".
You or a family member are obviously gun enthusiasts, and I guess gun enthusiasts are going to know other gun enthusiasts.

EDIT going by your own figures, 2-3 million gun owners is small minority, the vast majority of whom would never consider their guns as protection against anything.

[edit on 3-8-2004 by muppet]

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
well if sombody broke into my house, I would show them the door or if they refused that a gun barrel. I dare say most if not all of those gun owners would do the same.

Oh and 2-3 MILLION thats enough to make an army or two, so I wouldnt dismiss that as not much.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
2-3 million gun owners in the UK mean there's 54 million NON gun owners. 54 million people who don't see any need to have a gun, and don't want one.

I don't have a problem with people legally owning guns, if obey that law. Shooting is an age old sport/hobby, and in the country side a shotgun is useful tool for farmers etc. I'm not a big fan of hunting or shooting animals for the fun of it, but have no problem with people shooting at targets in clubs etc.

Apart from for farmers though, guns are not a necessity of life. I bet you could find a lot more than 3 million people that would like to see speed limits removed on motorways... does that mean it should happen? maybe, but not simply because 2-3 million people want to have a bit more fun.

Seriously, if you're paranoid enough to think you really need a gun to defend your home in the uk, you are too mentally disturbed to be allowed to have one, let alone a small armoury. Either that or you have some serious enemies.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Well where I live, there is no absolute speed limit and guns are legal, that includes handguns. There isnt any problems around here, infact its very peacefull

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Knives shouldn't be banned here, just don't sell them to 14 year olds. or teenagers. I think banning firearms was an extreme move, disarm the gangs not the normal people. We should have the right to protect ourselves and are homes any means nessecry.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
To the Squid: I agree, it sounds like the government, relying on a loud hysterical few have WAY OVERREACTED. Governments everywhere want to disarm individuals, sort of like de-clawing cats. Make us all neuter and harmless and totally at their mercy.

A possible alternative is to try turning your body into a formidable(deadly?) weapon.

A last resort is you can use a chair to beat someone to death.

GOVERNMENTS EVERYWHERE SHOULD BAN CHAIRS.

how silly is this going to get? It is the responsibility of individuals to maintain control over themselves, when they don't only then should government step in and incarcerate them. Additionally it is only sensible for a citizen to train themself to be able to defend themself from another citizen.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Well where I live, there is no absolute speed limit and guns are legal, that includes handguns. There isnt any problems around here, infact its very peacefull

You lucky sod! (re: the speed limits anyway!) which country is that?

I think it jut depends on where you live. Once a certain number of people have guns, it might be prudent to have one yourself. I'd personally I'd prefer not to get to that point in the UK.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join