It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet outside solar system is habitable

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
reply to post by Havick007

We are not only an accident.
Life is everywhere!
S&F.

Agreed, there has to be life somewhere else in the universe. Even if there is the smallest form of life (bacteria), then certainly there would be evolution of that bacteria into higher life forms. The universe is some 12 billion + years old.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
This is a great find. I would be more excited but nothing will ever come of it I'm sure. The one thing I don't get..is why do they always think in order to support life it needs oxygen? Sure for humans it does but how do we not know we did not adapt to H2O.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I don't understand, first scientist tells that we got life on earth from comets. .
Then they tells us that we are only the living things on the universe. .

A loophole in their own theory. .and tons of books have been circulated in schools and university. .making them like a brainwashed. .
Coz' when you tell others something alternative, they'll just get pissed off. .

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hypersonic02

Please...

Which scientists tell us that we are the only living things in the universe? Can you provide a quote with a name? A link?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJKris
Interesting stuff, however I wouldn't say it was confirmed habbitable. They say posibly water, if there isn't then surely it's isn't habitable? Also the CO2 is a hell of a problem. I do agree though, that this is a good find and as someone suggested, the planet could still be developing.

You know there are indeed life forms on earth that breathe CO2. Just because Humans can't breathe there doesn't mean CO2 is a problem for the life forms that breathe CO2.....

Just sayin....

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Great, a new planet that we can live on. Now we just need to figure out how to not kill each other and live in universal peace and we will have evolved to a point where we can, without hubris or irony, even attempt to populate another planet without polluting and destroying it. Forget the potential for other life to exist in the universe, without us picking a fight with them; we may need other planets to send populations to just to avoid our predilection for destroying each other.
Let us pray: "Grant me patience, Lord. But hurry!"

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Not if I have anything to say about it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by rykc27

Not conflicting data. The Daily Mail just got it wrong.

As Dr. Bhathal's own article says, the signal originated from the direction of 47 Tucanae which is no where near Gliese 581. The error originated from an article which mentioned both (separate) discoveries. It seems that some people cannot comprehend what they read very well. Note that the article does not say the signal came from Gliese 581.
www.theaustralian.com.au...

edit on 5/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

www.o-fu-online.net...
Laser signal coming from Gliese (Tucanae) star system

In December of 2008, Ragbir Bhathal, an award winning author and astrophysicist from the University of Western Sydney reported he’d found an Alien Laser Signal emanating from the Gliese 581 star system, specifically Gliese 581e

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rykc27

Oh, not just from the direction of Gliese 581. From a particular planet in the system. Wow.

Ok. Believe the Daily Mail. Believe O-fu online.
Whatever you do, don't believe the man who made the discovery.

You should have read the rest of that article

There appears to be some confusion over the origin of the signal. Over at ATS, user zorgon contacted Dr Bhathal who cleared up the confusion and revealed that the signal actually came from the neighbouring Tucanae constellation.

www.o-fu-online.net...

But they got it wrong again. 47 Tucanae is not really a neighbor of Gliese 581.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jax27

Imagine if the US forgot about trillion dollar wars and put up a trillion dollar space telescope at a moon base instead. Humans, so much potential but never lift a finger to it.

that's what i'm saying.... we should concentrate outwards instead of greedwards.... we should with draw all troops and just provide humanitarian aid and focus on our future

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

i find this so intriguing since i just read earlier that someone recieved a laser like signal from Gleise581. Do you think its possibly for not just life but intelligent, evolved life to already be there?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by metalmana

Sure it's possible.
But nobody detected a signal from Gliese 581.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I concede. In my defence, I am a relatively new member and was totally unaware of the previous thread.
That though, doesn,t excuse me from not reading the entire article rather than just skipping through.
A lesson learned. My thanks to you Phage

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rykc27

My pleasure.

This is a very good example of how the number of times a "fact" is repeated has no bearing on it's factuality. On the internet bad information travels fast.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hun can you gimme a link to this signal thingy? (thats moron friendly to read for me)
I find it intriguing.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
we should hurry up and build that warp drive engine.....

"Warp 7 Mr. Sulu...."

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
I think this is amazing news, although i guess it was only a matter of time and im sure there will be many more found in the coming months and years.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e0c1e06c85a.jpg[/atsimg]

Next step.........warp drive

Perhaps now SETI can actually target these planets and focus more time on planets that are deemed 'life-supporting' especially with recent reports of SETI losing more funding and having to shut down some of their arrays.

Apart from that though what good is knowing these planets are there without being able to travel there....yet

ABC News

For budding travellers, though, Gliese 581d would "still be a pretty strange place to visit", CNRS said.

"The denser air and thick clouds would keep the surface in a perpetual murky red twilight, and its large mass means surface gravity would be around double that on Earth."

Getting to the planet would still require a sci-fi breakthrough in travel for earthlings.

A spaceship travelling close to light speed would take more than 20 years to get there, while our present rocket technology would take 300,000 years.

More than 500 exoplanets orbiting other stars have been recorded since 1995, detected mostly by a tiny wobble in stellar light.

They are named after their star and listed alphabetically in order of discovery.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/927c87511261.jpg[/atsimg]
(A model shows the possible surface temperatures of planet Gliese 581d, located around 20 light years from Earth.)

edit on 17-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

I know about Gliese 581d, some say that the planet may be a massive water planet. I think that in the near future, it will come out that life does exists on another planet/planets and that there are aliens that have visited us.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of this "Habitable zone" where they believe is the only place in a solar system that could harbor life. The only model they have of this is our planet which is just one type out of possibly billions, and it's part of a solar system with just one type of star. How could they know the habitable zone of a red giant? Or the elements in the atmosphere of an extrasolar planet? It may look like carbon dioxide, but is it? Could it be an element not found on earth? Breathable by creatures not of earth? Too many questions and not enough answers.

I think any planet could probably harbor life of some sort, bacterial or even intelligent life, and I think our human scientists are a little arrogant to say they know where life could form if they have only really seen one planet with lifeforms.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Well you could just pay Dr. Bhathal a visit (he's at UWS).

Of course the person who posted the video makes the same mistake about the location of the signal.

The only thing he seems to have actually published regarding the blip he found is that short article I linked earlier but the OSETI project is pretty interesting. Rather than listening for radio signals, they're looking for laser signals.
www.coseti.org...

I happen to know you ain't no moron. So here's more:
seti.harvard.edu...

Can we get a pic of the Barbarella rig?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ahh i rememebr seeing that doco, thx.

I may just go and see the good doc, but that would require effort.....

Regarding Barbarella, I tell you what Phage, you do a thread on ATS stating what you think has stumped you and that you think is anomalous enough for you to say "Hey I think this comes form outa space and intelligently created by non terrestrial beings"
And I'll post the Barbarella rig..Deal? (lolol i know Im safe)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join