It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet outside solar system is habitable

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The Drake equation is an equation used to estimate the number of detectable extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy.

Drake Equation - Wikipedia

The Drake equation states that: N = R* x fp x ne x fl x fi x fc x L
Where N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible;
R* = the average rate of star formation per year in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fℓ = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of the above that actually go on to develop intelligent life
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

In 1961 with considerable disagreement on the values of most of these parameters, but the values used by Drake and his colleagues in 1961 were:

R* = 10/year (10 stars formed per year, on the average over the life of the galaxy)
fp = 0.5 (half of all stars formed will have planets)
ne = 2 (stars with planets will have 2 planets capable of developing life)
fl = 1 (100% of these planets will develop life)
fi = 0.01 (1% of which will be intelligent life)
fc = 0.01 (1% of which will be able to communicate)
L = 10,000 years (which will last 10,000 years)
Drake's values give N = 10 × 0.5 × 2 × 1 × 0.01 × 0.01 × 10,000 = 10.

Originally posted by XRaDiiX
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Astronomer Quoted this in 2010 This News is a years old but i love when we get to bring it back into discussion this is my favourite topic

Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent', Astronomer Says.

Now the Article refers to 581G but your article refers to 581D so i'm mixing things up. I remember reading one article talking about the potential for more than one of the planets in the Gliese 581 System to be habitable.

10 Civilizations throughout the entire galaxy. Seems amazing doesn't it! But in all reality giving the vastness of the galaxy these civilizations could be scattered to the furthest reaches of the galaxy so far apart from each other that we would never even know that they were there. The stellar disk of the Milky Way galaxy is approximately 100,000 light years in diameter and for us to find a planet within 20 light years to be deemed 100% likely that there is life on the planet is ridiculous.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
reply to post by Havick007

That planet Gliese 581d, is so far away that even if we could travel at the speed of light, or FTL speeds we still would never get there and back in 3000 life times...

What we are seeing from that Solar System, is 300,000 years ago... Wer'e making projections and assumptions based on a 300,000 year dis·crep·an·cy...

As I understood it, the planet is 20 light years away. The 300,000 years is probably an estimate of the current capabilty to travel there.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz

Originally posted by TheDevilOfLies
reply to post by Phage

REALLY?! the all knowing phage whos worshiped like a god cant think of any scientists who say we are the only things in the universe?

going by the way things work around here, that actually makes sense to me

I dont mind be ff topiced here by Mods, but the need to comment on Phage personally whenever he makes a post, is incredibly tiresome, and shows insecurities all round by those who say things like this, and earlier in the thread like " you like to urinate on us from high Phage" YAwn

Leave it alone, argue the posts, not the poster, you are all making the PHAGE myth, not him, by your carry on.
I don't know why you bother coming by Phage when every time you post you get little tantrums from people.

"making of a MYTH, how to project your own neediness by projecting on others, Phageism 101"
that should be my new thread

W
W, zazzafrazz. I think you completely misinterpreted my post. That was a joke about how Phage brings a level of sanity to an often insane discussion. I wasn't attacking him, I was agreeing with him.

I agreed with his facts about the Gliese system and how we do not know for sure that any of the planets in that system are habitable.

Also, I did not say 'urinate all over us', I was saying he likes to urinate over the wacky parade that sometimes is exhibited here.

No disrespect to you but you really got my post twisted.

The last bit was a light hearted joke. I was gutted when you used my post as an example of 'Phage Bashing'. My intent was completely the opposite.
edit on 18-5-2011 by Wide-Eyes because: grammar

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by smurfy

No.

The story is about the French team's use of a computer model to run various possible scenarios, one of which assumed a dense CO2 atmosphere.

The new study assumes that Gliese 581d, which is about seven times as massive as Earth, has a thick, carbon-dioxide-based atmosphere. That's very possible on a planet so large, researchers said, but it's not a given.

www.space.com...

The trouble is, we do not know what sort of atmosphere (or even if there is one) the planet actually has. Without a dense CO2 atmosphere, the model is not accurate. Therefore the thread title is not accurate. The planet may support liquid water, if....

As posted before:

To determine conclusively if Gliese 581d is truly habitable, future work will probably have to detect and characterize its atmosphere directly. And that is likely years off, since it requires the development of new and advanced telescopes.

edit on 5/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

The OP used the linked title, as encouraged by ATS when the story is externally based. CNRS headline starts off with a similar style, but is qualified also in the headline,

www2.cnrs.fr...

The OP is correct in a singular fashion, and has abided the ATS guidline. There is no 'intellectual argument' in that, only in the content which is external, and like I said, that would be normal. There is no 100% in most things, not even Gliese 581g
Now can we lighten up a little?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

Originally posted by Brainiac

That planet Gliese 581d, is so far away that even if we could travel at the speed of light, or FTL speeds we still would never get there and back in 3000 life times...

What we are seeing from that Solar System, is 300,000 years ago... Wer'e making projections and assumptions based on a 300,000 year dis·crep·an·cy...

As I understood it, the planet is 20 light years away. The 300,000 years is probably an estimate of the current capabilty to travel there.

Indeed, what we are seeing is actually 20 years old because it is 20 light years away.
edit on 18-5-2011 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

That's not the headline, and that's not the stories result.

That is the headline from the articles.....

We are actually seeing it as it was 20 years ago, as it is 20 light years away so the light from there takes 20 years to get here. You are confusing lightspeed and the estimated travel time to get there with our current technology which was 300,000 yrs.

that we will NEVER be able to REACH

Thats a very pessemistic view of things
perhaps we cant do it yet but it will be possible one day.... who knows when, it could be sooner than you think.

What about radio telescopes? Dont you think it would be worth focusing more time on these systems?

SETI wastes time targeting places that have no results, well with studies like this and with Kepler, targeting systems and planets with more promise may bring better results. Although communication would be difficult with current tech, we may still pick up radio/laser signals of another civilisation!

The thought of that excites me

I've said it again and I'll say it again... We are Alone in the Universe, in relation to our technological limits..

Do you have proof to offer on that argument?

edit on 18-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
That's really cool and stuff.

Lets just say for the hell of it that we can somehow on god's green earth attain light speed which is 670,616,700 mph (that's over half way to a billion mph if you weren't sure) or 186,282 miles per second. Well even then, at that mind numbing speed it would still take 20 years to get there.

The average speed of a space shuttle is around 19,000 mph....so basically we'd have to go 35,296 times faster to get there...in 20 years!

I hope there is some sort of bend in the space/time continuum or maybe some kind of worm hole because other wise that is inconceivable.

....for a space shuttle, yes

I know I'd be willing to spend 20 years on some kind of colony ship to get to a new world

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Convince the "Elites" to watch more Star Trek.. not Trolling.

If those fat cats sitting at the "TOP" or what they think is the top opened their eyes for a second, There would be a lot more suicides or a higher quality of life on the planet, Both still leading to a Higher quality of life.

When you look in and Around the world that we live in well its pretty obvious considering how long this Covert Tyranny has been taking place and how its not so covert anymore..

I mean a while back we where all looking at space ready to Rock and or Roll.

Space program seems to have severely slowed down.

Either that or we have already colonized hundreds perhaps thousands of other worlds.. and the Oligarchy knows full well.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
this is good news

Now we have another planet to destroy.

Hopefully by the time we can visit we aren't so viral.

Hopefully by the time we can visit we haven't been wiped out by ptb influenced wars, disasters or over-population either

A race spread out is a safer race than one lumped onto a rock near the sun...

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Great find. Thanks for sharing. Gliese 581 d Was actually discovered in 2007. They used the HARPS instrumentation, employing the Radial velocity technique. This planet could contain alot of ice versus rock. But who knows with the recent new observations in 09. This is just one of Billions. Awesome keep looking up. Star and Flag

c2

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Exactly, with new worlds come new threats and dangers. Hopefully the people studying the planet don't make this into another space race, and end up speeding up the process.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is not news to me for there are many more then this one that is spoke of. I also believe that we have a way to travel to these places things that are completely unknown to us outsiders. I would also be willing to think that we came to earth from another planet but the past was lost with the traveling here so we would not ever really know the truth. This is only my thoughts i have always thought this from the time I was a little girl so call me crazy but it is my mind and who knows what I may think of next

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join