It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet outside solar system is habitable

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Star and flag for you, my friend.

What's more exciting about this development is the fact that it is only 20 light years away. While that type of transportation technology is not on our current horizon, the idea of developing light speed drives is alot more feasible than developing FTL drives, and 20 years isn't a totally ridiculous trip for an unmanned probe traveling at the speed of light. My suggestion would be to attempt to send some type of message to this planet; if it's able to be received (if intelligent life exists there) and decoded, then we may receive some type of response. The turn around on that would be 40 years at a minimum, but it's worth a shot.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

Perhaps now SETI can actually target these planets and focus more time on planets that are deemed 'life-supporting' especially with recent reports of SETI losing more funding and having to shut down some of their arrays.

I thought they were all shut down and put into 'hybernation', which renders them non functional as far as searching goes? I hope SETI is DEAD. Good riddance.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I wonder what 2g would do to the human body over time. Our knees sure would take a lot of stress, and our hearts too of course.
edit on 17-5-2011 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
We're pretty much stuck on Earth till we can develop bases on noninhabitable planets and can generate infinite amounts of energy.

Moving to habitable planets is not practical.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

Planet outside solar system is habitable

bigpondnews.com

A planet 20 light years away is the first outside the solar system to be officially declared habitable by European scientists.

The 'exoplanet' Gliese 581d has conditions that could support Earth-like life, including possible watery oceans and rainfall, they say.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
bigpondnews.com
www.abc.net.au
www.wired.com

Habitable, maybe....

Maybe it has trace toxic elements in the air, soil , water (that are toxic to humans) or even in higher amounts than that.

We don't know until we send a probe there. But that would take a long time. Even going at the speed of light it is 20 years to this system. It shows why creating wormholes is so necessary to interstellar travel.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander
they dont even know what it really going on in our local moons, hogwash.

lol..I can so relate to this post.

How the heck can some human beings,tell what is habitable from that far away???

What I find funny ,is that people buy it.

Hope CIAGypsy posts in this thread demanding proof.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Next press release will state "New Planet found to be inhabited by advanced life!"

1 step closer to possible disclosure my friends

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

REALLY?! the all knowing phage whos worshiped like a god cant think of any scientists who say we are the only things in the universe?

going by the way things work around here, that actually makes sense to me

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spacemanjupiter

You are sort of right although there are other arrays around the world still capable of listening for radio signals. It was an array in Nth California that was completly shut down and put into ''hibernation''.

The Allen Telescope Array in Northern California has a combined collecting area of one hectare, and was funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen. However, just three and a half years after the array began its hunt for extraterrestrial life, the money has dried up

Although the ATA isn’t the only radio telescope facility which is capable of searching for alien life, it’s the only one dedicated almost wholly to the task. The SETI Institute had plans to use the ATA to listen out for radio emissions from the extrasolar planets discovered by NASA’s Kepler spacecraft.

The project is attempting to source new funds, along with new uses for the array. SETI has offered up the ATA’s abilities to help the U.S. Air Force track orbiting debris that could be harmful to defense satellites. Pierson says that he’s hopeful that these other uses “will help provide future operating funds”.

Full Article - Wired.com

There is also this blog post from the SETI website:

Allen Telescope Array Hibernation

As noted in the Scientific American and elsewhere, the Allen Telescope Array was recently forced into hibernation. While we are sad to see this happen, SETI@home receives its data elsewhere, so our project is not directly affected. Dr. Eric Korpela wrote a helpful Q&A about this in the SETI@home Staff Blog.

27 Apr 2011 | 21:44:03 UTC

So they are not completly shut down but the ATA shutdown certainly doesnt help especially when they had planned to target the exo-planets found by Kepler.

UC Berkeley SETI survey focuses on Kepler’s top Earth-like planets - News Center Article

edit on 17-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
So we can tell if a planet is habitable light years away but still don't know what's going on 100% in our own solar system? Seems a little redundant. Don't get menwrong if this is accurate and not a fluff piece to garner more funding it's a great discovery. But I'm sure that starving and homeless people in America don't really give a crap. Can't feed your kids on Pictures of planets.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
"could" and "possible." Folks this is the same kind of language scientists have been using for centuries. How many times have we discovered "life" on other planets with MAJOR headlines, only to have it fade away in the news, once discredited.

This is an interesting headline, but nothing to buy stock in. - Rich

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by RUDDD

The signal detected by Ragbir Bhathal did not come from the direction of the Gliese system. Not anywhere near the Gliese system. It came from 47 Tucanae, about half way across the sky from Gliese.

Gliese RA 15 19 26.82 Dec -07 43 20.2
Tucanae RA 00 24 .0567 Dec -72 04 52.6

In December 2008 a sharp laser look alike signal emanating from 47 Tucanae was detected. However, further searches in the same region have failed to detect the signal again.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

edit on 5/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

That's right i remember that, i actually first heard about him on an SBS doco ''My Mum Talks to Aliens'' - it was about a son filming 1 week with his mum. He was a skeptic and she a massive believer. Here is the snippet that has an interview with Ragbir Bhathal:

Here is the full version if anyone is interested, i actually liked it and at one point she is at an AAS (Australian Academy of Science) debate with a prominent astro-physist and university lecturer and puts up some good arguements but at the same time you can see him trying to mock her but he does have good arguments as well, basically ''show me the evidence'' as any scientist would say and it's true.

edit on 17-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDevilOfLies
reply to post by Phage

REALLY?! the all knowing phage whos worshiped like a god cant think of any scientists who say we are the only things in the universe?

going by the way things work around here, that actually makes sense to me

I dont mind be ff topiced here by Mods, but the need to comment on Phage personally whenever he makes a post, is incredibly tiresome, and shows insecurities all round by those who say things like this, and earlier in the thread like " you like to urinate on us from high Phage" YAwn

Leave it alone, argue the posts, not the poster, you are all making the PHAGE myth, not him, by your carry on.
I don't know why you bother coming by Phage when every time you post you get little tantrums from people.

"making of a MYTH, how to project your own neediness by projecting on others, Phageism 101"
that should be my new thread

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Oh for goodness sake. They can have NO idea whether or not it is habitable until they go there. They fail to understand the simple relationship of electrical and magnetic forces in the universe (versus gravity), and they now claim they found a habitable planet? Bad science! For shame!

www.thunderbolts.info for real science.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Great news... so far, waiting for more info., or if explored by other, more extensive.
Gliese 581d, if it does support life, life probably, maybe even as a bacterial level is thriving. This will further support we are not alone in the universe. And it being close, may dismiss theories that no alien life has visited us. Maybe the life on that planet is closer linked to our own. More info gathered may yield some very interesting creatures...unless due to fibonnaci symmetry, they may not be so different. Or how about the planet being more primitive earth, going through an earlier stage of evolution(insects flourishing for ex.). Reminds me of the video game Spore.

edit on 18-5-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
In my above post I was talking about human settlement. I know aliens may have different needs. The question is, even if a planet has an atmosphere, water, and life, it may still have toxic substances that impede our health if we settle it (assuming there are no aliens with human like intelligence that already own the planet).

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Do the greys live there? Anyone know were they might live.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I vote that ATS sponsor some telescope time and check out Gliese 581d. Where do I send my donation?

Also, I was wondering when light arrives from another planet doesn't it bend to get here? Therefore, couldn't you look or listen in one direction and hear or see something coming from another?

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
This is old news.

I swear it was available months ago.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Undertaker

Thats a good point, Gravitational lensing -

A gravitational lens refers to a distribution of matter (such as a cluster of galaxies) between a distant source (a background galaxy) and an observer, that is capable of bending (lensing) the light from the source, as it travels towards the observer. This effect is known as gravitational lensing and is one of the predictions of Albert Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.

Although i will add that the lens effect varies on distance from the observer and location. I would say with an object so close, in this case Gliese 581 that lensing may not be such a problem compared to a galaxy that was 1 Billion light years away.

Also remember it takes 20 years for the light to get here from that star... be a pitty if the star has died in the last 10-15 years... although unlikely it's still something people forget to consider sometimes.

edit on 18-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join