It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet outside solar system is habitable

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
It'll be like living on Pandora. You'll be dead soon after leaving the space craft with that atmosphere.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
looks like we are jumping the gun...its now generally excepted that life must exist other than our own,we have the moon which is a little over 200 thousand miles away,perfect for a moon base,perfect for a telescope..i find it really strange that we have a space station in orbit with no gravity, but no moon base ..its almost like we have been told to get off the moon.at the very least you would of thought they would have mapped the moon with Hubble by now .all you get is 2nd rate grainy pics... the whole subject on other life forms stinks..if your looking for life try the moon first, not a planet 20 light years away .... NASA map the moon because we ARE interested ,would be nice to see the moon landing sights and many more strange anomalies you don't want us to see...until that happens i'll never take anything you guys say seriously

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
So we take them on face value because we want it to be true ?

Where is some evidence ? Seems there is a greater chance of these French scientist wanting to be first with such a discovery that they might be inhancing the story .

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
If I were 'in the know' and I wanted to tell the people of the world that there is indeed life on other planets, what would be the best way to accomplish that?

Maybe First I'll give them a generation or two to get used to the very idea. (40's-50's)

I'll publish the most elaborate, far flung ideas and let them get acclimated. (50's-70's)

Then, one by one, discredit the really insane notions, leaving only the reality as 'plausible fantasy.' (80's)

Then, I'll begin the debate about the science and theory of what life would require elsewhere. (90's-10)

Then, I point to a place waay to far away to really be considered threatening. (2011)

And Finally.....?

Hello.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Well, until someone invents faster then light speed, we arn't going anywhere.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Told ya so!! I created a thread on earth like planets. Just half to wate untill we can reach it.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
Well, until someone invents faster then light speed, we arn't going anywhere.

Correct, working it out in my head, if it's 20 light years away, with our current technology, it would take us around 500,000 years to get there!

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I call it automated birthing process.

It's the only feasible way to travel to distant worlds right now.

Frozen human sperm, simulated birthing process operated by computer systems and robotics.

Growth and education via recordings.

It's really the only way I can see us reaching other worlds.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Thanks OP, Awesome news to back up what most of us have known for years, Life is everywhere out there. Lets hope when we meet ET they are for us and not against us

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits
If I were 'in the know' and I wanted to tell the people of the world that there is indeed life on other planets, what would be the best way to accomplish that?

Maybe First I'll give them a generation or two to get used to the very idea. (40's-50's)

I'll publish the most elaborate, far flung ideas and let them get acclimated. (50's-70's)

Then, one by one, discredit the really insane notions, leaving only the reality as 'plausible fantasy.' (80's)

Then, I'll begin the debate about the science and theory of what life would require elsewhere. (90's-10)

Then, I point to a place waay to far away to really be considered threatening. (2011)

And Finally.....?

Hello.
the lie is so big ,its to late to come clean..would take a genius lawyer to get NASA out of the hole they have dug for themselves ..discloser will never come in our life time,would take a world changing event to force discloser so not to damage creditability of world governments.. my guess is, ET doesn't want us to know that they exist,if they did we would be driving warp drive BMW's by now
.... snf for op on post ... at least it keeps the debate moving forward

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
So we're talking about a habitable planet by Earth-like creatures only 20 light years away? That's just down the road in stellar terms. That we've been visited by E.T. suddenly just became a lot more plausible to me.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
So we take them on face value because we want it to be true ?

Isn't that what people do in the UFO forum?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Am I missing something?

Where does it say they found life?

Since when does being habitable mean something is actually there?

Everybody is cheering and saying life is everywhere, yet this does not prove that life is actually there...

There are Jungles/Deserts on Earth but that does not mean anyone lives there.

There are millions of abandoned homes in the US that are habitable, people don't live there though.
edit on 17-5-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
These new planets ARE exciting and I share the enthusiasm, but the 'Goldilocks Zone' thing is very broad. Here you have a planet that has gravity over twice that of earth, no breathable (to us) atmosphere, an orbit like our moon that turns one side perpetually to its sun, plus a few other deal killers thrown in for good measure. Maybe some sort of life could live there, but we can't.

I'd get a lot more excited if they found a planet more or less earth-sized with oxygen, confirmed H2O, and a surface tempertaure that wouldn't either freeze us or smoke us in a few seconds. I think that would be worth concentrating on. Is that Homo sapiens-centric? Of course it is! A gas giant is of academic interest. A true Earth-like planet could save our sorry butts some day when the Sun goes nova on us. We may not be able to get their now, but perhaps we can invent our way there in a few hundred or thousand years. There's no real rush, but knowing something is out there would be very important knowledge to have.
edit on 5/17/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLogicalist

Not to sure , not in the UFO forum that often .

But seeing how this is the breaking news forum I was hoping for some science based on measurable facts with some evidence tossed in for good measure .

However that's not what we have here . We seem to have some French scientists making a claim based on theory and not much else , except for there longing to make this anoucment .

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by RUDDD

The signal detected by Ragbir Bhathal did not come from the direction of the Gliese system. Not anywhere near the Gliese system. It came from 47 Tucanae, about half way across the sky from Gliese.

Gliese RA 15 19 26.82 Dec -07 43 20.2
Tucanae RA 00 24 .0567 Dec -72 04 52.6

In December 2008 a sharp laser look alike signal emanating from 47 Tucanae was detected. However, further searches in the same region have failed to detect the signal again.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

edit on 5/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Dr Ragbir Bhathal, a scientist at the University of Western Sydney, picked up the odd signal in December 2008, long before it was announced that the star Gliese 581 has habitable planets in orbit around it.

A member of the Australian chapter of SETI, the organisation that looks for communication from distant planets, Dr Bhathal had been sweeping the skies when he discovered a 'suspicious' signal from an area of the galaxy that holds the newly-discovered Gliese 581g.
The remarkable coincidence adds another layer of mystery to the announcement last night that scientists had discovered another planet in the system: Gliese 581g - the most Earth-like planet ever found.
Dr Bhathal's discovery had come just months before astronomers announced that they had found a similar, slightly less habitable planet around the same star 20 light years away. This planet was called Gliese 581e.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... l#ixzz1MelgbnrE

there seems to be some conflicting data here

Laser signal coming from Gliese (Tucanae) star system
www.o-fu-online.net...

Or maybe not.
edit on 17-5-2011 by rykc27 because: Additional info

edit on 17-5-2011 by rykc27 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2011 by rykc27 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by TheLogicalist

Not to sure , not in the UFO forum that often .

But seeing how this is the breaking news forum I was hoping for some science based on measurable facts with some evidence tossed in for good measure .

However that's not what we have here . We seem to have some French scientists making a claim based on theory and not much else , except for there longing to make this anoucment .

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't science based off theory,with out visionary out off the box thinking/Hawkins/Einstein/Darwin to name only a few, science would still be in the stoneage,do me a favour and go play with your chemistry set and let the free thinkers think freely

edit on 06/-05004/2011 by sitchin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If CO2 is a problem, seed a ton of plants

Of course if there is life down there we'd be screwing everything up.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

Lol I guess I was told

keep thinking freely friend , but I will coninue to expect evidence from my scientists .

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rykc27

Not conflicting data. The Daily Mail just got it wrong.

As Dr. Bhathal's own article says, the signal originated from the direction of 47 Tucanae which is no where near Gliese 581. The error originated from an article which mentioned both (separate) discoveries. It seems that some people cannot comprehend what they read very well. Note that the article does not say the signal came from Gliese 581.
www.theaustralian.com.au...

edit on 5/17/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join