It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC sheriff blames cheese for false drug test

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

NC sheriff blames cheese for false drug test

www.msnbc.msn.com

An enzyme found in cheese triggered false drug test results that led North Carolina deputies to think a man with 91 pounds of tortilla dough was actually carrying that much coc aine, the sheriff said.

Antonio Hernandez spent four days in an Asheville jail this month before tests by a state lab showed he was carrying food, not drugs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I was just seeing how midwest police can stop you, search you, not find a bit of wrongdoing on your part but keep your money. This Drug War is a scam from the start but it looks like there are becoming more and more ways for the authorities to cash-in and make you the victim - even if tacos are your only addiction.

When the cops stop you and just want to keep your dough, here's a guy with 91 pounds of it. His dough gave a false positive? Sounds kind of cheesy to me. Smells too.

What happens if you eat the cheese? Could you then be charged with driving while intoxicated? And how do you offer a defense? This is really getting out of hand. OK, it's worse than that.

www.msnbc.msn.com

edit on 16-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Cheese is the most potent drug of all...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That's one sheriff who won't be running for District Attorney any time soon.
I wonder if they bragged about their "91-pound coc aine bust" to other jurisdictions before finding out what that white, powdery substance really was?
I sincerely hope so...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
headline should read

"NC sheriff blames Idiot Deputies for following Dept Procedure and getting caught"!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
In all seriousness, that seems quite odd. If you search for 'cheese enzymes false drug test' on google, the only thing you can find is this story. You'd think it would have happened before or would be written about. The only thing that comes to mind concerning the cheese-drug relationship is tyramine.

Tyramine

Tyramine (4-Hydroxyphenethylamine; para-Tyramine; Mydrial, Uteramin) is a naturally-occurring monoamine compound and trace amine derived from the amino acid tyrosine.[1] Tyramine acts as a catecholamine (dopamine, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), epinephrine (adrenaline)) releasing agent. Notably, however, it is unable to cross the blood-brain-barrier (BBB), resulting in only non-psychoactive peripheral sympathomimetic effects. When tyramine rich foods are ingested in conjunction with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), tyramine is responsible for the so-called "cheese effect" sometimes seen with their use.

Since tyramine is broken down by monoamine oxidase (MAO) in the human body, if someone is taking a drug that is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) and consumes food containing high tyramine content, "a hypertensive crisis can result as tyramine can cause the release of stored monoamines, such as dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine."

Cheese can contain high levels of tyramine.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

That could be about it, just a case of CYA and that cheese tie-in is the best they could come up with. I don't trust where this is all going. Actually, over 40 years I've seen suspect of it all. There needs to be a few over-the-top incidents to put an end to this monster, once and for all.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Oh great, first they have the moronic war on drugs. Now the great war on cheese begins....
You heard it from me first! Mark my words!

I better start hoarding shake cheese and doritos now I guess.
edit on Mon, 16 May 2011 19:26:02 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This whole horrid incident is like a three stooges episode.....maybe when they review the tape from the traffic stop they will hear................."MOE, LARRY, CHEESE"!!!
"MOE, LARRY,CHEESE"!!!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
I was just seeing how midwest police can stop you, search you, not find a bit of wrongdoing on your part but keep your money. This Drug War is a scam from the start but it looks like there are becoming more and more ways for the authorities to cash-in and make you the victim - even if tacos are your only addiction.

When the cops stop you and just want to keep your dough, here's a guy with 91 pounds of it. His dough gave a false positive? Sounds kind of cheesy to me. Smells too.

What happens if you eat the cheese? Could you then be charged with driving while intoxicated? And how do you offer a defense? This is really getting out of hand. OK, it's worse than that.

www.msnbc.msn.com

edit on 16-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)
NOT just Midwest cops....trying hauling a couple of thousand thru Lake Charles La on I-10 and see if you get to keep it...cops anywhere can run a sniffer dog overyour cash and keep it when the dog alerts since ALL money has traces of coke on it....another way to keep you from holding cash and paying your way somewhere with untraceable cash instead of debit cards

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Asheville has been in the news lately with their police officers. There is also an ongoing investigation of missing evidence from the Asheville Police Dept. evidence room. The Police Chief had to take the fall for it and stepped down.

Hogan served Asheville well as police...

"Hey man, quit Bogarting and pass the cheese."

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I'm pretty sure that I heard on CBC radio the other day, that in a certain Canadian province (PEI), they can seize your property or money for a certain period of time if you are only 'suspected' of a crime. The man being interviewed called it a useful tool for law enforcement. I thought, yeah... more like a useful tool for the insane and backward system to relinquish true lawfulness.
edit on 16-5-2011 by OrganicAnagram33 because: Grammar

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Also, I should mention that tyramine is not an enzyme, it's a monoamine compound. Therefore, it is not what they would have detected in the powder, and would not be a CYA story that would hold any water. I just wanted to point out the only knowledge I had of cheese being related to drugs. I'm quite curious as to which enzyme they claimed to have detected that gives false positives for drugs.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33
Cheese is the most potent drug of all...

I can testify that it definitely is very addictive. I can't stop. Have a couple of Shiners in the 'fridge calling to me also, and I'm in heaven--is that the same as being high?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm addicted to cheese.

This reminds me of the baby food that tested positive for explosives by the TSA.

Can you say ridiculous!? Say it with me. RIDICULOUS.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Check out this thread Vitchilo just posted. More 'war on drugs' madness:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

original article discussed in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Asheville has been in the news lately with their police officers. There is also an ongoing investigation of missing evidence from the Asheville Police Dept. evidence room. The Police Chief had to take the fall for it and stepped down.

Hogan served Asheville well as police...

"Hey man, quit Bogarting and pass the cheese."

It goes back even farther than that:

For anyone interested in the Buncomb County Sheriff's Dept, here's a bit:

$217,769 could not be accounted for or proved to have been turned over to the appropriate state or federal agency. Evidence bags containing cash were found on the floor and mixed with other items. Loose cash was found on the floor and on shelves. n 223 handguns and 114 rifles and shotguns could not be located, proved to have been destroyed or returned to their owner by court order. n

Marijuana, coc aine, crack and pills listed on 1,318 evidence entry sheets could not be located or proved to have been destroyed by court order. Large blocks of marijuana were found on shelves with no identification markings or case numbers.

Bags containing drugs were open with some or all of the contents missing. n 16 rape kits were not labeled with name, bar code number or case number to link the assaults to the victims. n Evidence bags with contents missing, evidence bags containing items with no identification numbers,
evidence with entry sheets attached that were never entered into the inventory database and many loose evidence items with no identifying numbers.

citizen-times.com...

www.mountainx.com...

www.citizen-times.com...|newswell|text|Fro ntpage|s

Also, do a search for District Attorney Ron Moore and see the many things people accuse him of.
edit on 16-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Real life law enforcement once again tops TV's "Reno 911!"

Cheeses saves!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

NOT just Midwest cops....trying hauling a couple of thousand thru Lake Charles La on I-10 and see if you get to keep it...cops anywhere can run a sniffer dog overyour cash and keep it when the dog alerts since ALL money has traces of coke on it....another way to keep you from holding cash and paying your way somewhere with untraceable cash instead of debit cards

YEAH! the only way out is go to the bank and exchange for BRAND new bills. And I am sure they would keep a record!

Why do we FEAR asset forfeiture?
Incredible as it sounds, civil asset forfeiture laws allow the government to seize property without charging anyone with a crime.... www.fear.org...

edit on 16-5-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join