It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC sheriff blames cheese for false drug test

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

I'm pretty sure that I heard on CBC radio the other day, that in a certain Canadian province (PEI), they can seize your property or money for a certain period of time if you are only 'suspected' of a crime.....

In the USA they do not even have to come up with that much of an excuse!

....Seized property was presumed guilty and could be forfeited based upon mere hearsay—even a tip supplied by by an informant who stood to gain up to 25% of the forfeited assets. Owners were forced into the untenable situation of trying to prove a negative—that something never happened, even though no proof of any illegal act....

Eighty percent of property forfeited to the US during the previous decade was seized from owners who were never even charged with a crime! Over $7 billion has been forfeited to the federal government since 1985.

Until the advent of FEAR law enforcement officials promoting expanded forfeiture laws comprised the overwhelming majority of lobbyists at hearings on forfeiture litigation. Meanwhile, prosecutors complained that police were less available to investigate crimes that did not involve forfeiture.... www.fear.org...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

For anyone interested in the Buncomb County Sheriff's Dept, here's a bit:

I am in NC and my county is KNOWN for being as crooked as a dogs hind leg. The county one over is just as bad. A friend living there over heard top level types & drug lords making a deal (at the animal shelter no less) and ended up in fear for her life. Lost her job and was threaten big time.

You have to go a long way to find honest cops these days I am afraid.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Not really. The thing is that cops are no more or less honest than the average person. Fortunately, NC puts more energy than most states in to trying to get rid of bad cops. I will agree corruption is an issue. You hear about it so much in NC because agencies actively seek to get rid of bad cops. It just takes one or two being willing to stand up and start the process.

The major exception I have found is Durham. I wish somebody would clean that cess pool of department out. The newest chief has made strides. However, he doesn't have enough time in office to make the political moves necessary.

There use to be a joke that the Durham police had the most defective elevators in the state. They always seemed to get stuck and through prisoners on the floor. That is the most tame of the many stories I have heard from people that worked for DPD. They have a constant position posting because so many cops leave for other places.

edit on 17-5-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Maybe it's just because I'm a woman here, and an avid cook, but ... guys, there's no damn cheese in tortilla dough. Coca mass may *look* like tortilla dough, but the similarity ends there. This is clearly and obviously the police just being d*ckheads and displaying a profound disrespect for the citizens they are meant to protect and serve.

You cannot cook tortilla dough that contains cheese. It's just a stupid idea.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Maybe it's just because I'm a woman here, and an avid cook, but ... guys, there's no damn cheese in tortilla dough. Coca mass may *look* like tortilla dough, but the similarity ends there. This is clearly and obviously the police just being d*ckheads and displaying a profound disrespect for the citizens they are meant to protect and serve.

You cannot cook tortilla dough that contains cheese. It's just a stupid idea.

Sigh. TAMALE dough, not tortilla. TAMALE dough often contains meat and cheese.

He was released four days later after sheriff's deputies realized Hernandez, who said he doesn't drink at all, wasn't intoxicated and that what was in the back of his truck was exactly what he had said — $400 worth of cheese, shrimp and tortilla and tamale dough meant as a gift to his sister.

www.citizen-times.com...|mostcom
edit on 17-5-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

ASHEVILLE, N.C. — An enzyme found in cheese triggered false drug test results that led North Carolina deputies to think a man with 91 pounds of tortilla dough was actually carrying that much coc aine, the sheriff said.

This is a direct quote (my bold) from the link provided.

Tamales are not just dough but filling too that is formed and placed in a corn husk wrapper for cooking, generally. The article clearly says *tortilla dough*, not cheese, shrimp, or tamale dough. Your sources say what they say. My comment was to the article published. I stand by my comment that there is no cheese in tortilla dough.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

I saw that too. I'm not blaming you. My apologies if it came across that way. It's just typical lazy journalism. The original article I linked to states it was tamale AND tortilla dough. I suspect most those gringo journalistas dont know the difference.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

No problem.

This alone should make us think about how much the media's ways of reporting things is spinning public opinion, creating dissatisfaction and dissent. It makes me wonder if there might be a lot less wrong with the world if we put the media in their place now. TV and film numbs minds, it doesn't stimulate them. People quote documentaries as though they are irrefutable information. Maybe if we actively knew more about more things, if our minds had not been divided and conquered, we might be better able to know good info from bad -- like tortilla dough not containing cheese.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Well, to be clear, though, in my understanding many parts of Mexico make a tortilla dough mixed with cheese, chiles, shrimp, etc. to make something called antojitos, which are little dough-cakes.

standard store-bought amercan tortillas are generally just corn, but in mexico they often mix all sort of snip into that stuff.

regardless, it was just lazy writing and second ad third hand info from the media.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join