It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning video, a glimpse into what a post apocalyptic world might look like

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Amazing video, and an utterly interesting story about a fascinating place, which I have never heard of before.

I'm off to read more about it !

Flagged.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
One thing that doesn't make sense to me is the urgency factor. As far as I could tell, and I will admit that my knowledge of this area is largely limited to the video and a few other known tidbits, there was no catastrophe that caused this area to ruin. Rather, it would have taken time for the water to become contaminated and the fish to die off and pollute the air, etc.

Therefore, why would the video show belongings, shoes, etc. and say it was evidence of the urgent need to vacate the area.... My guess is that it was from wealthy (or well off) people that simply left and didn't bother to pack, or this was a second home that they merely didn't return to. It makes no sense to me that anybody would have had to leave this area as an emergency or within a matter of hours or something.

Cool video though. Looks like "The Book of Eli" except with sun.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The SoCal desert is an amazing place, so much to see. The Salton and Sea and surrounding areas are unique. I visited Slab City on my last trip this winter, it was cool to see nomadic like people, living off the grid, and out of the mainstream and the Northern Algodones sand dunes is hardly touched unlike Glamis.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It's only bad in certain old areas that have not been cleaned up. Water level has been dropping 12 inches a year so 800 sq miles of shoreline are exposed each year revealing dead fish and junk in the mud. Boating and fishing still go one. Several RV locations. Very remote area, no industry, mainly farmland so no money to cleanup except on the State level which is on a 30 year plan to stabilize. Lots of California ghost towns out in the desert, Mono lake is another remote but interesting location in northern CA.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing. I recently drove to Anaheim from Phoenix...and when I was plotting my course, I saw this on a map, and was thinking of stopping as I had never heard of it. Needless to say, I am glad I did not. This looks like something out of the Fallout video game series...seriously...Green water, craters, burnout out vehicles, abandoned housing...scary, and sad.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
*** it used to be a little paradise in the desert ***

the desert IS paradise

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Very interesting. I had been close to that once, and remember the old man's painted mountian, but did not see that. There are probably so many places here in our own country we know nothing about. I wonder now with all the posions from farmlands and bactieria growing in the Mississippi River flood, if this is now what is happening here. With water getting 50 to 25 feet in places they could very well never dry up. Towns under dead water lakes. We really do live in a very fragile world. Great Thread and thanks for sharing. S&F

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

This is a very nice video. Thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Interestingly the Salton Sea area was submerged by another ancient sea many hundreds of years ago, during a time when the Colorado River flowed into the area instead of the gulf of California. If anyone drives along the highway on the western side of the Salton Sea, there are visible wave-cut shorelines on the sides of the mountains.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Thats crazy, i think i've seen that man on worlds crazies homes on discovery
edit on 16-5-2011 by WanderingThe3rd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by WanderingThe3rd

They were hiding....daylight scares them.

edit on Mon 16 May 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This is only the tip of the iceberg. you will see similar scenes in New York, LA, Detriot and St. Louis. In many of the inland cities in Southern California, the jobs left to Asia and the people left to. You can see foreclosure signs on 50% of the houses and many are deserted in many cities. The coming double dip recession from the debt crisis will only cause the cancer to spread uncontrollably and many more scenes like this will be repeated in the neighbors you live in today. The government will be inept and helpless, mired in their own black hole of stupidity and greed.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Wow. Reminds me of Fallout: Vegas.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
One the amazing cures for the Salton Sea was offered by a bio fuels researcher from UNH.

He wanted to use the Valcent Technologies method of making algae oil to clean the Sea out
and to use evaporation to remove the high levels of salt.

As the agricultural run off will continue this would yield a continuing source of algae oil and
reduce oil imports int he US until we can get off the fossil fuel paradigm altogether.

This method could be used in other areas with brackish swamps, etc etc.

Per the ppl at Valcent we could end oil imports with a total land mass equal to 10%
the size of New Mexico.

Unlike Ethanol this land could be land not used to grow food.

A much better solution all around.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Read The Road by Cormac McCarthy, that'll give you an excellent view of the post apocolypse.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Let them keep screwing with the earth...The earth has got something for them...and I don't expect they want it.....but, their gonna get it, and soon.....

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Caji316

Huh???

That doesn't even make any sense, in the context of the facts surrounding this area!!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
great film - very nice short. I've camped out there. Strange place. There is an indian reservation that i believe is located on the southern shore. When there, I couldn't figure out why a good part of the res was located underwater. Of course, prior to the Colorado flooding, it wasn't underwater - my personal mystery solved. Thanks for the vid.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Good video and topic...

Since this post is about what a post apocalyptic world might look like - it reminded me of an online picture-based news article I saw not too long ago about the 25th anniversary of Chernobyl. The photos look unreal - much like the ones in the video. There are also a number of similar Utube videos on this topic...

50 Pictures Of Chernobyl 25 Years After
www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Wow this is really impressive and interesting
)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join