It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning video, a glimpse into what a post apocalyptic world might look like

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Oh god, the Salton Sea.

I was born in Indio and grew up for most of my childhood in Palm Desert/Palm Springs, we used to go to the Salton Sea a lot for science field trips, that place smells like rotten eggs...we used to sometimes get the smell where I lived...uck.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
Wow. This video was actually beautiful.

I feel incredibly inspired right now.

And for some reason I'm super keen to play Fallout 3...

Agreed very beautiful. Would also make a good theme for an add-on to FO 3. Could even make a secret underwater base at the risk of being too bioshocky. If only i was a programmer.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Me watching this with the timing of my playing Fallout New Vegas over the past few days just led me into some incredible sur-reality, that's for sure lol

Great video, thanks a ton for posting it.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Great share a glimpse into the future perhaps.

2nd

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Play Fallout 3.
Now imagine it without those unrealistic things in the game.
Stand on top of a rock or something so you can look out in the horizon.
There's your "what if" post apocalyptic scene.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mark10

You definitely have that correct; for me it felt more like FONV instead of FO3 but it's all good. The vid made it so real. And that is scary in itself.

I kept looking for bottle caps when they were showing stuff on the counters and the like.
THAT is bad. >_>

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Wow great imagery on that video.
Thanx for the post

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I was always interested in the subject of a post-apocalyptic world. I still think the movie Threads is the most accurate portrayal of what it could really be like. Anyone know of anymore documentaries or vids about the subject?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Great place to film a zombie movie.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing. Interesting how some people appear to have left their belongings.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Very interesting (S&F)

Seems the large amount of salt in the sea and air has accelerated the decay. That colourful mounting in the middle of the wasteland was very inspiring.

ALS

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

In some places you may even get stabbed....

To the OP, thanks for sharing the clip, what a spooky place.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I enjoyed the feeling and look of the post apocalyptic view, but I also discovered a man whom built a mountain of beautiful trash lol, neat.

In the 2000 census, they had 978 people, 45.2 people per square mile. I bet that's a creepy place to live.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Desert, accidental paradise, abandoned toxic wasteland, message of hope...that's a lot for a piece of land to be in a few short decades. That was really interesting, thanks for sharing

phew! that was a lot for a 6 minute documentary - definitely going to check out any of his other vids

Originally posted by eyespying

Thanks for sharing. Interesting how some people appear to have left their belongings.

LOL when I saw the shoes the first thing that went through my mind was "should we take the shoes? naw they're last season anyway" - but I was really amazed that people left photographs behind - I mean I'd take mine if I was moving - perhaps they were put there later maybe, by people who wanted to "remember" their temporary paradise

Thanks so much for this - I never heard of it before, I learned a lot - the wiki is worth reading too if anyone is so inclined

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Pretty lame! The Japanese already made many end of the world anime stuff based on this. Westerners are always so darn late.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
I grew up in S. California and have been to the Salton Sea before it ended up like this. In fact I did not even know it had happened. It could be a glimpse of things to come in some areas but I think enough of humanity is looking for a better way that we will reinvent society to be more sustainable and decentralized but I don't know how long that will take. And we are going to experience some pain before then. I think intentional communities are the first steps in that direction. I have an idea for a model sustainable community of the future but as if right now I don't know if i will ever get to try and build it.

How dare you bring hope into this doom thread

Thanks for the vid OP, creepy stuff!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

"...is this place a heaven or a hell...?"

I have been there and walked around for a few hours. I can tell you it is a hell, or at least creepy as hell. Some people live there hidden, I knew they were there when we were there. They retreated into their delapitated commandeered dwellings. Very, very eerie and we left long before sundown and were never far from the car. We also had our dog who was not too happy there and seemed vigilent.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I LOVE videos like this. If I lived in a place that had more, well, abandoned places, I would be much more involved in Urban Exploration. I have a fascination with abandoned places. Maybe it's kind of weird, but I like that post-apocalyptic feel. Well, looking at it anyhow. I wouldn't have wanted to go through it.

This reminds me of the Love Canal. Poem crazy stuff. Or better yet, how about Pripyat/Chernobyl?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I went dove hunting at the Salton Sea years ago, by 9am my dog and I were rooting for the birds and loathing the hunters that were 10 to every bird. I gave up hunting that year and have watched the demise of Southern California and this nation spiral down, down, down.

However, he is wrong about the world without us, it will do just fine after nature reclaims the best of the land, it will grow green naturally and in a few hundred years the damage we have done will be like a phase of teenage acne with a few scars. How I long for the open sea.

edit on 16-5-2011 by MajorKarma because: Typos and expanded comment

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I grew up in Indio, CA as well, and vividly remember the stench that would visit us from the Salton Sea when the wind was blowing towards us in the summer. It was terrible! I visited the Salton Sea a lot when I was younger, very interestnig place. And great for paintballing I might add. It's pretty amazing though what happened to it, it used to be a little paradise in the desert.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join