It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning video, a glimpse into what a post apocalyptic world might look like

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Lots of places were people live really walk a thin line, I can think of a couple of places like Las Vegas and other parts of California and all trough out north america, were if something were to happen. Or somebody were to turn off the power, then the whole place would be swallowed up by the desert and nature fast, and within a generation the old wouldn't even recognize it at all and the kids wouldn't even believe that once there were great cities there with hundreds of thousands of people to millions of people.

But interesting vid especially the old guy at the end that lives there in his painted and created hill, talk about a home in a unscrupulous place eh, you would be surprised were some people live and how they survive in a place were most would die of dehydration and sun related death within a day.

Reminds me of a story from some years ago about a mma figher Evan Tanner who went on spiritual trek into the desert and ended up dead within a day in the desert sun. Ah that story gets more interesting the more you look into it from other sources, but basically he died from what I like to call faulty info and underestimating the power of the desert and 115 degree heat.

Heres a link if anybody is interested in that story.Link

Oh and everybody here Seen the writing on the wall in the vid in the decaying town on the wall of the brick house that said "THE HILLS HAVE EYES".
Like I said you would be surprised were some people live, after all! If an old man can live in a man made painted hill in the middle of nowhere. It makes you wonder what the sign could mean.

Who lives close to there is willing to do some exploring, and getting to the bottom of the mysterious writing on the wall? Who's got some time to Kill and the means to getting there and back? You know in the interest of science to find the local plant life, animal life and reptiles in the area.
A just messing!
I think they already made more then a couple of movies and video games and books about that topic. S@F.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I noticed very few people around. Looks better already. Let's face it, we do tear this planet apart, but really if there were just no International Bankers or Lawyers or power hungry politicians....I think the world, even with a lot of people, could fare pretty well. It's the ones who start the wars for oil and the ones who divide people using cash that are the cancers to the world...The rockefellers, Rothschilds, ANY International Banker, Politicians (Liars and thieves...same thing)...these are the ones ruining the earth...not the average person. Actually, we are recycling and trying our best to clean up their mess, but they won't let us have recycled rain water, an economy based on something other than oil etc. So the elites are the true cancers to the world despite how they try to twist it to where it looks like they are saviors. They think by getting rid of us the world will be much better because we are using up all resources. BS....they are just hoarding all the resources...there's more than enough for everyone. They just want us dead so they can have it all to themselves and not have to share, as well as, they want just enough slaves to be able to control comfortably. But still, that video looked pretty peaceful in some areas.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lestweforget

Thanks dave, i enjoyed this short film, simply intriguing.
The result of an err of engineering when redirecting a natural watercourse, maybe you should post this in the thread related to the Mississippi levees being destroyed by the corps of engineers.

Opening (destroying?) the Mississippi River levees is just putting nature back in charge. It's man un-intervening.

BTW..this is an excellent thread. I'd "heard" of the Salton Sea, but assumed it was somewhere near the Dead Sea.
-cwm

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Looks like Fallout 3 to me....

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The Salton Sea vid is an EXCELLENT reminder that human beings resemble a plague or cancer...or a virus.

edit on 16-5-2011 by DeReK DaRkLy because: adjusted the contrast

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think I may have seen this before but I can't really recall where........still, it's an unfortunate reminder of what can happen when projects like this go terribly wrong.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

I agree, "The Salton Sea" is a great movie.
Even though it has Val Kilmer in it, & considering he was toying with running for office in my state, I'm not his biggest fan.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I tried to watch the original on the first page, but it keeps stopping, does anyone else have this problem??
edit on 16-5-2011 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Reminds me of the flooding the Corps of engineers are doing now from the upper midwest to the gulf of mexico. Are they doing this to cover for BPs disaster? Do they need to blame nature for the mistakes of man? Will this also become the fate of the entire region and create the die off of millions more fish in the gulf?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
WOW! That's crazy... I have never heard about that place at all before the video either! There's so much to learn, so many things that are hidden right in front of us. Thank you for putting this up!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Dave,

Thank you for this amazing short documentary of a once flourishing town. I have never heard of Salton City and it blows my mind at how quickly our lives can be totally dismissed with little left over to truly show how we lived. The broken homes, rusted cars, and sludge pits do not come close to tell the true story of the people living there.

As I watch the constant world changing around us I can only think how my town will be effected by near apocolyptic events. What have I done to keep both my family and myself safe? Can I even do anything to protect them? When the time comes will people unite and put aside our differences to survive?

Time will tell.... As it did for the people of Salton City.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Really gorgeous short film. I love urban decay photography, and this was very well done. I wouldn't have guessed that the salt content would make things on LAND decay faster, though... hadn't really considered that.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I grew up in that area of Cali. We use to go to the saltonsea every summer until one year as we was swimming human fw es was appearing all around us,this was in the late1970"s when we stop going. My grandma lived in Yuma as, we had to drive past the salton sea to get to her o watched ot erode over the years
yes the manmade lake is toxic,but to make matters worse think about the crops growing all around the lake. I'm talking right up to about 5 feet from the shore. I go e credit to this toxic lake to the original builder who suddenly realized it wasn't going to make millions and abandoned said project, leaving havoc on the land
edit on 16-5-2011 by lbndhr because: spell check

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I wanted to share this amazing video I found with my fellow ats people, it concerns the Salton sea, an artificial sea created accidentally in the California desert at the turn of the last century. For a short time the "sea" was exploited as a tourist attraction before it became too polluted and it now sits, surrounded by the trappings of its former glory, decaying and deserted.

I had never even heard of this place before but the video is hauntingly beautiful and a little scary as we may well see the whole world looking like this before too long

edit on 15-5-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

yes.. we're all gonna die ............time to get used to the slave system..

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Someone spray painted "The Hills Have Eyes". I was feeling the same thing watching the doc. I love that movie about a boy and his dogs, then later just his dog. How many places are like this all over the U.S.?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I wanted to share this amazing video I found with my fellow ats people, it concerns the Salton sea, an artificial sea created accidentally in the California desert at the turn of the last century. For a short time the "sea" was exploited as a tourist attraction before it became too polluted and it now sits, surrounded by the trappings of its former glory, decaying and deserted.

I had never even heard of this place before but the video is hauntingly beautiful and a little scary as we may well see the whole world looking like this before too long

edit on 15-5-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

I've heard about the Salton Sea, heck it was dramatized in a Val Kilmer 2002 movie of the same name (will post link). But I saw a documentary of the Salton Sea via Vanguard (it's part of the cable channel that has Lisa Ling's sister and others doing documentaries). Peole still live there but they have been leaving, one because it's depressing (alot of people commit suicide) and two who wants to live in a place that is desolate like that. When I saw that old man that built that religious structure, I wanted to know more about him. Why did he stay or come out there and what demons or issues he has to want to be alone like that. Believe it or not humans are social creatures, even the most gruff of them need contact. I feel for that man because he's out there alone in that desolation.

Will this happen to the US or other parts of the world when humanity does something to ELE (extinction level event) away, it could. It's happened before in our history, it could happen again (it was that super volcano which erupted 74,000 years ago that reduced humanity to 10,000 individuals)

www.the2012theories.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Cool!

Photogallaries of the city of Detroit reveal something similar, in terms of what the fall of civilization looks like.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Actually, a truly post apocalyptic world would look like the one we ruined on the last go round.

planets.oma.be...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Could they not have accidentally flooded the area again? I'm aware it would have shorted other areas temporarily but couldn't something have been done for this fledgling community? So again it seem we create a problem as result of an accident and everyone just walks away. Sorry nothing to see here folks, yes they too thought it would be a grand place to hang their hats but let's move along quietly and focus elsewhere now shall we?

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
My wife and I took our wedding pictures at Salton Sea. Truly an amazing, and amazingly creepy place. We love it. Can't wait to go back and explore some more. Highly recommend visiting if you ever get the chance.. it's only about 3 hours from LA.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join