It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 of the most bizarre buildings around the world.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Helious

When I saw the first image in your OP, Wooden Gagster House (Archangelsk, Russia), I was instantly reminded of a place that I visited several times as a teenager (early 90's). First time I ever went there, I had no clue where we were going. Once we got there, I still wasn't sure exactly where we were at. The place is not far from a highway, but we got there by country roads, which just made it seem that much more unique in my eyes.

I had never even tried to search for it online, until now. I had only ever went there at night, but apparently, he also had many visitors during the days. He had a 'Guest Book' that he wanted everyone to sign. Almost 15,000 people throughout the years, which is quite a few, considering the location.

There was no electricity. Night-time was a much more party-friendly atmosphere. If you had a cooler of beer, he was your pal. He would not ask for a beer, but the only actual correct comment to make, if you saw his hand in your cooler, was to go ahead and offer another lol. If you had some smoke, he was even a nicer friend.

He is an eccentric fella'. He calls the place, 'The Barn House.'

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0a4e10150dd.jpg[/atsimg]

Jim Pendleton is the Dr. Frankenstein of house building, and the Barn House is his Creature.

This whimsical monstrosity was sewn together by Jim from parts of over 25 barns he has demolished. He dreamed of the Barn House in the late 1960s in high school, and entered his blueprints for it in the state fair. Actual construction started in 1972, on Hwy. 46 about 10 miles west of Spencer. Jim was soon tearing down barns and houses around the state to feed his obsession.

The Barn House contains 41 rooms, 15 stairways and 15 walking decks. There are secret passages and tunnels, peepholes, a room with 688 hats, a prayer alcove, and a "quickie" room. He has continued building for the last twenty-five years.
7,240 feet floor space; Ladders totaling over 100 foot; I believe it was 7 stories, but his design contained so many different levels that it was hard to judge.
www.roadsideamerica.com...

I couldn't find many photos of it. It may not look like much in these photos, but it was a very unique structure. There were ladders, and hidden rooms everywhere. The entrance to some rooms, looked like a small hole in the wall near the floor. Some hidden in a dark corner. Once you crawl through, you realize that small hole is the only way to get into this room.

I think he did live here for a short time, but he had built another house nearby. He called it his 'Arc.' He built it so that the roof, was actually the bottom, and if rolled over, it would be a boat. I am pretty sure this was never tested, but he claimed it would float. The floor (which would be the ceiling once floating) was made of glass, and had family photos underneath. He discusses this in the documentary.

I do not know the the details, but Jim had to serve a bit of jail time. The article stated a drug charge. I would assume the growing of a plant, but I don't know. Visitors were no longer allowed during this time. On Nov. 11th or 12th, 2002, The Barn House burnt to the ground. These articles are unclear whether Jim was still in jail or if he had been released before this time. As far as I can tell, the cause is unknown. Could have been arson, could have been a lit cigarette tossed down. Hard to say.

I found this short documentary of him, and his Barn House, on Youtube. I will not say that anyone will find this interesting, but I have enjoyed this little voyage that I have just taken down Memory Lane, that was needed to create this post. Really, that is all that matters.
Barn House Part 1
Barn House Part 2
Barn House Part 3

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
very cool...

how bout this 1, in the foothills of colorado overlooking denver

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

lol, thats just amazing, great story! I'm sure there are quite a few people and houses like this across America, strange how some people feel the need to keep building, no matter how strange it becomes.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by StripedBandit
Great thread S&F!!

Here's a couple more cool ones

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79c37e2f7de6.jpg[/atsimg]

An apartment building in Japan

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ffcb1e176cc.jpg[/atsimg]

WOW, that Japanese apartment building is amazing, my jaw dropped, never seen anything like that before.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Eocrow

I would live in that Hobbit Hole in a second, rustic, warm and simple. Glass of wine, fireplace and a book would be the order of the day.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

i love posts like this! thanks for including all the pictures and not just linking to a site somewhere...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I really wish I can go inside some of these buildings and see how the inside of some of these interesting buildings look like.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
WOW, that Japanese apartment building is amazing, my jaw dropped, never seen anything like that before.

Almost looks too good to be true, don't it?

I had to search. First I went to this page- Weird and Funny House Designs. There are some interesting houses on that site, such as-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14ebe6af5e2d.jpg[/atsimg]
Then you get to the last 2 at the bottom. 1 is the Japanese Apartment Building, then the very last one, also looks to be photoshopped. It is a cool one, but I'm not going to post any in this thread, that I believe to be photoshop.

On those 2 that I mentioned, I noticed the words in the bottom left corner. (it is even on the one on page 3 also) www.worth1000.com. I have not looked through this site very much yet, but it does seem to have some very nice pics. This is what is written on the main page-

Worth1000 is the top creative contest site in the world. Every day we run lots of creative competitions of all types, including Effects contests (otherwise known as photochop or photoshop contests), photography contests, etc.etc.
If it says worth1000.com on the image, then there's a good possibility that it is photoshopped.

In order for this thread to maintain its integrity, I don't think photoshop images need to be posted. There are more than enough interesting and cool looking houses that are real. Obviously, that is just my opinion. Some may disagree. It has happened before.

edit on 5/16/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Who the hell comes up with the designs for these buildings?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
woah that's some amazing architecture

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Wow, really astonishing. I've always loved architecture

But what about the work of Dali???

I haven't seen any work of him! ((EDIT: oops, there is one...
)

And I must say, it's more incredible than some of the above ( still beautiful work
).

Check it out: link to google images

ez all
edit on 16/5/2011 by digalog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I love architecture. These are my favorite types of threads. The Cheval Palace and Stone House are probably my favorite two---if I actually had to pick...
Star for you, OP.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

That place is so cool, look at all the birds on the roof though, has got to be alot of work to maintain but with a view like that grilling, most likely worth it!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by digalog

There are more than a few very interesting pictures there, thanks for sharing those!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Simply amazing structures. The library is absolutely genius, along with every other design that was presented. I would love to visit all of these places

edit on 16-5-2011 by Quyll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by StripedBandit

I would love to see the view out of the Japanese apartment building. Must be so beautiful.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I actually live 30 minutes away from Kansas City
I'll have to check that out!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
If your into organic building sensibilities, check out some Gaudi structures...
For a distinctivly modern, organic aesthetic, try Gehry...

Happy hunting!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Ive actually been to the building in Tennessee and it is quite amazing.. I would love to visit the that apartment building in japan.. wow that is amazing!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by killaseason
Ive actually been to the building in Tennessee and it is quite amazing.. I would love to visit the that apartment building in japan.. wow that is amazing!

There is some question if that structure has been photoshoped but either way, hard to argue that would be ideal livin man, coming home from work every day to that place would put things in perspective haha.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join