It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth is a lot older than 6000-10,000 years, get over it!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

This is where the contention lies... I am not necesarily prescribed to the notion that the earth is 6000 years old; however, I patently deny that there is ANY science that could possibly prove that it is over 4 billion years old.

To get to a 4.5 billion year old figure you have to make so many assumptions that it's ridiculous.

Let's say for a second that Einstein's theories of relativity are correct and that potassium argon dating is accurate and that erosion rates are and have been constant... That still doesn't mean that the earth is 4.5 billion years old.

Why??? you would ask. And that's simple. Time is not constant, if Einstein's theories are correct, time is NOT constant.

So how have we measured time? How DO we measure time??

It's completely different now how we measure time and what we consider time compared to what was considered time and what we have called time in the past.

Now we use atomic clocks and decay rates which we assume are constant and have always been constant... That's laughable considering we have measured their rates for .0083333 of the 6000 years that you claim is a minute fraction of the total time it would've needed to be constant to be accurate....

People in the past have only used the revolution of the earth around the sun and the rotation of the earth to determine time.

Another thing that there is no way to ensure any constant of.

We exist within space/time and therefore cannot accurately measure it.

If you want to say, hey I think that it's likely, based on currently available data, that the earth has travelled around the Sun 4.5 billion times since the earth came into existence, then you're entitled to that opinion and it is more accurate to say that than to say that the earth has existed for 4.5 billion years.

Now, I can provide sceintific theory that is backed up by observation and helps to explain anomalies unexplainable by other theories that would tend to support the earth revolving around the sun only around 6000 times.

Of course now you are probably laughing. I have to specify the earth revolving around the sun and not 6000 years because those are two different things.

years are a measurement of time in todays vernacular, where as in previous times (pun intended) a year was a statement for the earth revolving around the sun one time.

If Einstein's theories of relativity are correct, space cannot be created, yet the modern paradigm would have us believe that space is constantly created as the universe expands. The more likely truth would be that as the universe expands, space stretches. As space stretches time speeds up (this is true if Einstein is right).

This would also explain how the expansion of the universe appears to be accelerating even without a mechanism for the acceleration. It is only appearing to accelerate because as space stretches on the outer fringes of the universe, time speeds up.

People need to get over themselves and stop belittling and berating people because they believe differently than you, you are no more likely to be right than they and if history teaches us anything, the closer you agree with the modern scientific paradigm, the more likely you are to be proven wrong in the future...

Jaden
edit on 16-5-2011 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2011 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Theory - a system of rules, procedures, and assumptions used to produce a result

science is to prove something that is wrong, not prove something that is right
when multiple experiments get the same results, that will be the answer to the hypothesis
however, if we get different results, all previous results will be discarded

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Ya know, there may or may not be a god. Evidence suggests there isn't but, well, could be I suppose.

But the belief that the Earth is 6k years old makes you naked outside at night barking at the moon stupid.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
My conciousness is older than the Earth, it told me so, doesnt yours?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scytherius

Ya know, there may or may not be a god. Evidence suggests there isn't but, well, could be I suppose.

But the belief that the Earth is 6k years old makes you naked outside at night barking at the moon stupid.

You may want to read my post at the top of this page. You might be making yourself look stupid stating that someone appears bark raving mad for thinking the earth is only 6000 years old. Again, I am not stating that I think that the earth is 6000 years old.

Jaden

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Man: "So.. God.. I hear time is not the same for you as it is for us. A million years passing to us, is like a single second to you."

God: "Yes.. this is true."

Man: "If that's the case... well, I imagine 1 billion dollars to me, is just a buck to you. So um.. can I have a dollar?"

God: "Sure, just a second.."

Or in other words.. I don't think a timeline is a valid way to try to prove or disprove the existance of God.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by pccat
I believe that the gap theory reconciles this..

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness [was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

the word WAS should be the word BECAME, then it all fits..

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

So God created man in his [own] image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

they were to REPLENISH the earth..

Wow, then God severly messed up. Been watching the news lately? If there is a God it is well past the time for him to come down and remind us of those things as humans are failing miserably at all of the above.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

i don't get where people assumed that God's time is different than ours...i just think that they love making stuff up to cover their tracks on the story

if God's days are # of years, then state that in the bible and don't say 1st day, 2nd day, and so on.

last time i checked 1 day = 24 hours

"When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me"

a question that always amuses me

Can God make a Rock so big that he can't lift it up?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Duh! No kidding! Since dinosaurs and many other things have been carbon dated as being much older than 6 to 10000 years old, this is no surprise. Well, except maybe to you.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

Carbon Dating. (Dont get my started)
Tertiary Layer Geography
Fossils/Mammals/Reptiles/Transitionary
Impact Craters
Radioactive isotopes
Nitrogen narcosis (For your "flood")

You Young Earth Creationists are always referring to "the flood" for everything, Earth creationism is a pseudoscience, You disregard every kind of finding as false, you mention the oldest tree...but fail to take into regard Clonal trees..with the oldest being around 80,000 years old.

Infact, I find it hilarious you have the Gaul to even post here, how many research studies will you throw up as evidence to support you ignorant belief? Most of the YEC's evidence is based on obsolete and outdated evidence, I could completely annihilate any attempts at giving your belief a single shred of credibility...unfortunately I would have to go into several posts of basic information regarding science that a 4th grader would understand.

Keep your head in the clouds. I know it makes life seem less scary.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
THREAD/

Some basic reading for you. Covers all the points I am sure the YEC's would use and have done in the past.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

"The Earth is a lot older than 6000-10,000 years, get over it!"

People will always believe something different than what you believe, get over it!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

My first reaction to this OP was "Who thinks the world is only 10,000 years old?! That's like saying 'News flash! The world is round!'"

But, of course, I was wrong. There are people who believe that and I saw arguing starting on the first page. Holy crap. And the people who insist we are only a certain age seem to do so in defense of their religion. That makes no sense to me. An Earth that is millions of years old fits into most religious doctrine, even Christianity. Same with evolution, heliocentricity, etc.

I don't recall God ever saying that the Earth was only 10,000 years old. Heck, we even have hints of civilization older than that!
edit on 16-5-2011 by Cuervo because: need. more. coffee...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hey guys!

First, I would like to thank the OP for what is easily probably the worst thread I've read in the last few years.

Much thanks big guy!

Next, I would like to commend most of the participants in this thread (and i SERIOUSLY apologize to the quality contributors, few though they may be
, in this thread).

The skill and alacrity of your arguments... Well.. they remind me of the She's a Witch! scene arguments in that old Monty Python movie...

Thank you!

I stopped by to chat because of the sanctimoniousness (Yes! it is a word.
) of the 'representatives' of the 'Science' camp... especially versus those 'ignorant' 'Bible' guys.

Psst! 'Science' is really all just smoke and mirrors... And is actually just an inside joke.

(Everything that (you know) 'Science' knows is just pure nonsense. And I would be more happy to go into that, since it's essentially OT, just PM your objections and the link and I'll met you there.
)

More relevant for purposes of this thread, 'Science' suffers from exactly the same defects as those the 'Bible' camp are accused.

My favorite 'Science' defect is the premise that anything old(er than last week) is somehow (inherently) defective.

After all, they were NOMADS! and there was no real civilization!

Ask yourself why all of the Earth's 'native' populations were nomads... And the Earth seemed to be covered with apparently nothing but wildernesses.

The answer, in one of those delicious paradoxes, is suppressed... (Psst:Velikovsky)

(And this is part I like most...) The Bible is actually fairly accurate...

'Science' apparently can't see farther than the end of it's nose (which is essentially the 'recorded' history of the Western world.).

No. It didn't even get that right.

More later?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by yrwehere1

Duh! No kidding! Since dinosaurs and many other things have been carbon dated as being much older than 6 to 10000 years old, this is no surprise. Well, except maybe to you.

Dinosaurs have NOT been carbon dated at all...lol. There are only fossils of dinosaurs, kinda hard to carbon date stone....

Jaden

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

people on here belive that the earth is olny 6000 years old???i thought the mantra of this forum was to "deny ignorance" jesus christ why are dogmatic religous people allowed on here.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crutchley29

Tertiary Layer Geography
Impact Craters
Radioactive isotopes

You Young Earth Creationists are always referring to "the flood" for everything, Earth creationism is a pseudoscience, You disregard every kind of finding as false, you mention the oldest tree...but fail to take into regard Clonal trees..with the oldest being around 80,000 years old.

Infact, I find it hilarious you have the Gaul to even post here, how many research studies will you throw up as evidence to support you ignorant belief? Most of the YEC's evidence is based on obsolete and outdated evidence, I could completely annihilate any attempts at giving your belief a single shred of credibility...unfortunately I would have to go into several posts of basic information regarding science that a 4th grader would understand.

Fine, then you should have no problem annihilating my statement about the speeding up and slowing down of time. Get over yourself, and stop accepting things that are hand fed to you and start thinking for yourself....

Jaden

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

You have a point. Earth does have a hidden history.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Upthepunx

people on here belive that the earth is olny 6000 years old???i thought the mantra of this forum was to "deny ignorance" jesus christ why are dogmatic religous people allowed on here.

Well, while I have specifically stated that I am an earth age agnostic, I would like to point out that if you claim that you KNOW that the earth has travelled around the sun substantially more times than 6600, then it is you who are ignorant and would like to not think logically for yourself.

Jaden

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masterjaden

Originally posted by Crutchley29

Tertiary Layer Geography
Impact Craters
Radioactive isotopes

Fine, then you should have no problem annihilating my statement about the speeding up and slowing down of time. Get over yourself, and stop accepting things that are hand fed to you and start thinking for yourself....

Jaden

we do think
the people being hand fed are the christians cuz they believe everything that the book says

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join