It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth is a lot older than 6000-10,000 years, get over it!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by v0ice0freas0n

I understand the flame metaphor now. But to that I say, remember that a larger flame is just going to burn down to your fingers faster.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
The Earth is approximately 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error there).
Citation 1
Citation 2
Citation 3

To say that the Earth is 6000 years old is just plain wrong. It's not even close. It's 0.000131291028% of the Earth's actual age. The scale of wrongness is just so staggering that I can't think of an appropriate way to construct an analogy. I mean, the margin of error on the measurement of the Earth's age is actually larger than the age proposed by some people.

Now, there is actual science out there that proves that the Earth is 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error), where is the science that proves that the Earth is 6000-10,000 years old/

So what's the point of this thread? - To rag on people who read the Bible?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Its my prediction that our thoughts evolve the world as we change our views. The world is reflecting what we want it to reflect due to our egoic mind.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by painterdude
reply to post by purplemer

I'm afraid the only constant around here is arrogance.

Thank God! someone who actually does see things for what they really are.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by v0ice0freas0n
reply to post by korathin

I follow you up until the flame metaphor. Regardless, as an (hopefully less annoying) atheist who loathes nobody, its hard to not have some sort of reaction. Fleeting as it was. I agree that the 6,000 year thing is a product of catholic misinterpretation, but to me it seem as though you agree with the OP more than you disagree with him, nowhere in the title or his post do I see an attack on all christians or jews, just the misguided concept of the earths age. Your post seems like a reaction to an attack that I don't really think took place. Anyway, water under the bridge.

omg i hate annoying christians

You have to understand that I am a direct type person in a subtle kind of way. The title itself was an attack, as the title is what sticks out the most and what implants itself in ones memory(enters ones conscious mind). Look at the way he said "get over it!". He/she/it acts like a large minority hold that view point, when only a very, very,very,very few do. Also it carries the connotation that the OP is superior or something and that seems to set stuff off.

The flame concept is a tactic I developed to deal with radical feminist's I got tired of on a few forums. It is effective, but costly to ones self in many ways.

But I do see the point that I might of been harsher then I should of been and will try to take that into future consideration.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
i think earth is only as old as the OLDEST living man,

edit on 16/5/2011 by Ashyr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

You are a conspiracy nut, obviously

It is not what science says, it is what most people believe in - if most people will believe our Earth is flat, it will be flat.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FIFIGI

sarcasm, I gather?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
No offense to the OP, but who exactly was this post written for? Only a very extreme minority still believe that the earth is young. Even those who preach strong religious beliefs don't stand by the young earth theory. Regardless, this is an informative post. I'm just curious of who you might be aiming it at. I'm pretty sure almost everybody already agreed with you, Sir.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Strange how people believe scientists who say we all breath oxygen, cannot see it, feel it, taste it, smell it, yet do not believe the earth is xxxxxxxx years old, why is that?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by yourmaker

No, I'm not trying to accept them, I'm trying to make it about education rather than confrontation. We don't need to insult them to strengthen our position. In fact, I'd say calling people stupid only weakens our point from both the appeal and reason angles. Calling people names isn't exactly appealing or reasonable, is it?

I know that the idea itself is stupid, but to call people, many who are entirely uninformed about the actual facts, stupid is pointless. They are ignorant. I'm ignorant on certain matters myself. I don't know much about textile manufacturing, mechanical engineers, or animal husbandry. That makes me ignorant. These people happen to be ignorant about science, unfortunately their religion tends to cause them to make claims about that which they are entirely ignorant of, thus making them appear stupid.

Sure, some creationists are simply stupid. But any group will have a decent proportion of stupid people in it.

excellent points I can see the error in my ways. but in a way I did it on purpose. it creates discussion.
blatantly calling them out gives them reason to question why someone would in the first place.

Discussion it surely will cause but, of a negative and unproductive nature. Instead, without bias, assert your position either based on fact or personal conviction with perceived fact without insulting others.

Debate can be maintained between parties who are completely opposed to the other sides belief without resorting to name calling and provocation through insults.

all's fair. it did bring out the best in his reponses though, especially when there is an emotion attached.
if it's dry bland conversation then it becomes redundant. I wanted to offend, but only for thought provoking replies.
I am ambivilent towards religion and it's followers in that what they are attempting to do can be a good thing but that it is not in it's current state and seeks to delude rather then enlighten.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
The Earth is 4.5 billion years old, scientifically proven fact. It was made that way about 6,000 years ago by an all-powerful God who can do whatever He wants. I don't see a conflict here, do you? Don't you believe God is all-powerful? Don't you believe in God?

A large segment of our society in the US believes in a young Earth. en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 5/16/2011 by Jim Scott because: Facts.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
So how old are dinosaurs? in fact how old is Salt water...
also ain't the moon older than the Earth? ha. some people huh..

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

And you have a problem identifying faith from fact, we have lab tested science to PROVE that the Earth is MUCH older than 5000 years, we have numerous forms of dating procedures and tertiary geography to support it, what do the creationists have?...the ability to cast aspersion on every shred of evidence given?..

What a joke.

Personally..I find the very notion of creationists young earth "theory" offensive and archaic.
edit on 16-5-2011 by Crutchley29 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngrissom

Originally posted by iksose7
I 100% agree with you. Try telling main-stream scientists that though. They will chase you into the hills...

Are you sure about that? Most scientist believe that it is older than 8,000 years old BECAUSE most scientist believe in the evolution THEORY or the big bang THEORY.
edit on 15-5-2011 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

You know nothing of science if you think that those are the main reasons scientists believe the Earth is billions of years old.......Ya know, if you'r not bright enough to understand the science then thats ok....just don't be so arrogant to assume that science itself is false. You see science is based on provable theories which can be reproduced in a laboratory and on paper.... You do realize that things, like your Cell Phone, GPS units, and the very computer you are using works only because scientists had theories which turned out to be true, right? .when countless disciplines from Geography to Molecular Biology, to Physics all agree BECAUSE OF COUNTLESS EXPERIMENTAL DATA....That the Earth appears to be Billions of years old...then maybe....just maybe...you should listen!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
seems to me its a damn shame the people who wrote the bible were not geologists, then we would not have these augments, perhaps a few arceoligists (spell checker not working) amongst the writers might have helped as well.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Humans wrote the bible , changing it over time so they could understand the world

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheEmpath

Originally posted by painterdude
reply to post by purplemer

I'm afraid the only constant around here is arrogance.

Thank God! someone who actually does see things for what they really are.

If you changed that to ignorance you'd be on the money. In the 21st century, there is NO EXCUSE for believing in literal interpretations of ancient creation myths.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
This is nuts, people are just bickering at eachother.
Instead of bickering, how about lay down your evidence to what you believe and have an intellectual conversation ?

I believe earth is billions of years old because thats what i was taught in school

But i don't care if i'm right or wrong.
The only way we are truly going to find out is if "God" tells us, or if we go back in time, make a space ship on some planet, and observe the first signs of the earth coming together.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the opening post. I enjoyed it

I for one however, could only read two pages due to the insane stupid posters who offer nothing more than ridiculous come backs and nothing of solid value to the thread. Really, people who continue to post just because they like to "point out" stupidity is actually just showing their level of immaturity!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join