Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Earth is a lot older than 6000-10,000 years, get over it!

page: 1
37
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
+37 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The Earth is approximately 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error there).
Citation 1
Citation 2
Citation 3

To say that the Earth is 6000 years old is just plain wrong. It's not even close. It's 0.000131291028% of the Earth's actual age. The scale of wrongness is just so staggering that I can't think of an appropriate way to construct an analogy. I mean, the margin of error on the measurement of the Earth's age is actually larger than the age proposed by some people.

Now, there is actual science out there that proves that the Earth is 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error), where is the science that proves that the Earth is 6000-10,000 years old/




posted on May, 15 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul
 




It is not that people think the earth is that old, They argue that people are only 5000 years old.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
The Earth is approximately 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error there).
Citation 1
Citation 2
Citation 3

To say that the Earth is 6000 years old is just plain wrong. It's not even close. It's 0.000131291028% of the Earth's actual age. The scale of wrongness is just so staggering that I can't think of an appropriate way to construct an analogy. I mean, the margin of error on the measurement of the Earth's age is actually larger than the age proposed by some people.

Now, there is actual science out there that proves that the Earth is 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error), where is the science that proves that the Earth is 6000-10,000 years old/


So curious as to what science firm you work at?
Joke thread

But thanks John Kerry for that non-smart information about your logic.

PROOF OR GTFO!
And the internet isnt proof
edit on 15-5-2011 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by russ1969
 


I thought in the bible it said god created earth...yada yada yada..I know it doesn't say he created it over 4 billion years ago.


+4 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom
 


He gave 3 citations....and youre asking for proof?




posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by russ1969
 


I live in Malta. We have buildings here that are older than humanity if that is the case. Numerous museums around the world have artifacts that are far older.

And I know that there are many varieties of creationist dating. There are old Earth, young Earth, old Earth/young Humanity, day-age, etc. I'm really just addressing the people who buy into the 6-10,000 year old Earth thing.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Authenticated
 


They get hung up over the 7 day scenerio in the bible.

They never stopped to think that maybe God doesn't follow our standard 24 hours in a day. Now I'm not religous, I'm just not so jaded that I can't come up with possible scenerios on the subject.


+8 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom
 



Originally posted by johngrissom
So curious as to what science firm you work at?


Well, I'm a university student who bothered to actually learn something about science.



Joke thread


Not a joke thread at all.



But thanks John Kerry for that non-smart information about your logic.


Yay, insult!



PROOF OR GTFO!
And the internet isnt proof


True, but I did cite two academic papers, both of which merely happen to have been uploaded on the internet.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Agreed.

Even trying to figure out the thoughts of the religious zealots, 6000 years doesn't make sense.

We measure our time by Earth sciences, and space orbits, and isn't the Almighty (**choose appropriate God**) supposed to be all encompassing, outside and inside of time and space? Omnipresent...

His/her/its time concepts would be outside of our realms.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by russ1969
 


I live in Malta. We have buildings here that are older than humanity if that is the case. Numerous museums around the world have artifacts that are far older.

And I know that there are many varieties of creationist dating. There are old Earth, young Earth, old Earth/young Humanity, day-age, etc. I'm really just addressing the people who buy into the 6-10,000 year old Earth thing.


Really? Well the same can be said about you...about buying into the whole earth is billions of years old BS.
Your no different than the peeps who think and still think they can prove the earth is no old than 8,000 years old.

Its all based on faith and will never change.
Oh and it wasn't an insult...it was a statement. If you would have paid attention in English class you wouldn't be having this problem.
edit on 15-5-2011 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)


+3 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul
 


You shouldnt bother arguing with really stupid and crazy people.
You will only get really stupid and crazy answers.


+5 more 
posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul
 


I wouldn't expect coherent argument from those ignorant enough to believe in such fairytales in the first place mate.

IRM



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I 100% agree with you. Try telling main-stream scientists that though. They will chase you into the hills...



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by iksose7
I 100% agree with you. Try telling main-stream scientists that though. They will chase you into the hills...


Are you sure about that? Most scientist believe that it is older than 8,000 years old BECAUSE most scientist believe in the evolution THEORY or the big bang THEORY.
edit on 15-5-2011 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul
 


I feel you maybe wrong but in the other direction. I feel it maybe older than 4.57 billion years. Now as the age of the universe being 13-15 billion years old I feel real strong about that being wrong. I feel the universe in 100's of billions of years old if not even more. I have beed searching around the net for years and have seen number for the ago of the universe that range fro 21 trillion to 4 4 quadrillion years old.
But as for the OP that 6,000 to 10,000 years is just non-sence. They have found building remains older than that.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom
 


Pray tell... What do you believe in?

IRM



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by madnessinmysoul
 


I wouldn't expect coherent argument from those ignorant enough to believe in such fairytales in the first place mate.

IRM




Exactly man, if someone's gonna argue with someone else who believes in such nonsense, what hope is there of ever winning such an argument?

But then what fun would ATS be if we all just believed the same thing and agreed ?


Hey mate, hope all is well



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom
 


If you have absolutely no comprehension on science then you shouldn't contribute such nonsense. The age of the earth took alot of sciences and their theories meeting together at crucial points. You left out a big one GEOLOGY.

Please say you don't get your reasoning from banana man and the likes of Kent Hovind.



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by johngrissom
 


Pray tell... What do you believe in?

IRM


Nothing...because even if we knew what the "age" of the earth was, no ones attitude of life would change.
Life does not revolve around facts or proof. Its revolves around beliefs and stupidity. So when something is proven right...the left side is gonna scream false. As the OP would and some of the people on this thread...a-n-d most people on this website.

So you got to ask yourself.................................Whats the point? Its a pissing contest that will never end and worthless.

Then the important stuff gets overlooked because scientist are too busy trying to prove that this theory is real and the religious side is too busy arguing that it isnt. Waste of what little time some people have on this planet.
edit on 15-5-2011 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by CharterZZ
reply to post by madnessinmysoul
 


You shouldnt bother arguing with really stupid and crazy people.
You will only get really stupid and crazy answers.


I guess we are referring to the member "johngrissom" here with this one, eh?


Funny stuff.
edit on 15-5-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)





new topics

top topics



 
37
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join