It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Earth is a lot older than 6000-10,000 years, get over it!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm a partial christan, even I knew that. I would give earth around 60 to 100 billion years old. What are y'all smoking ?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

I'm a partial christan, even I knew that. I would give earth around 60 to 100 billion years old. What are y'all smoking ?

Any particular reason or evidence for a claim that it's a full order of two of magnitude older than we think? Also, what, precisely, partial Christian?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Yes I agree, it's not an issue.
You are correct.
Young earth creationism is false.
I was over it a long time ago.

edit on 15-5-2011 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero

Any particular reason or evidence for a claim that it's a full order of two of magnitude older than we think? Also, what, precisely, partial Christian?

Sometimes I believe and sometimes I don't, sometimes with the bible you need to apply common sense.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Sometimes I believe and sometimes I don't, sometimes with the bible you need to apply common sense.

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear in what I was asking. The scientific evidence puts the age of the Earth in the 4by range. You're claiming 60-100by. I'm just curious what you're basing that on.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear in what I was asking. The scientific evidence puts the age of the Earth in the 4by range. You're claiming 60-100by. I'm just curious what you're basing that on.

Think evolution, we needed more then 4 billion years to evolve. Besides there are serious holes within the bible, science and where the f do the aliens come in. People claim there are no aliens but there's some holes within our creation

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Some of the scientific evidence points to a very old earth age, and some points to a rather young age. It really is kind of baffling. My personal favorite for an older earth is the evidence found in seafloor spreading. For the younger side, I do like the whole moon's recession rate from earth thing, but magnetic field decay really sounds a lot more scientific. I'm so confused.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Yes, I've argued this with various people - even though I'm an agnostic. One day in "Heaven" is the equivalent of 1,000 years on earth. I don't recall where I heard that nor do I have the patience to peruse various search engines looking for a source. When structures here on earth are dated long before that 6,000 - 10,000 age mark...how can that be logically explained? I'm off to bed, 4:30am comes terribly early, if anyone can come up with a LOGICAL explanation please feel free to pm me....not for a *itch fest, I don't play, I won't egg anyone on, I'll state my well researched facts citing multiple sources & move on, period. Hope you all had a WONDERFUL weekend!!!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

No more idle speculation than the Big Bang itself which is idle speculation as it cannot be proven. The singularity from which it all came, if the Big Bang theory is right, was probably the Universe which collapsed into a singularity after the previous Big Bang.

Or of course it may have been electric!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Examine the actual scientific research into the subject with an unbiased eye. Realize that it's better for your beliefs to conform with reality rather than trying to conform reality to your predisposed belief.

It might take time. It might be hard to understand at some points (I know I find geology a bit tough some times), but there are plenty of resources out there for you to find.

Thanks you for opening my eyes!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Realize that it's better for your beliefs to conform with reality rather than trying to conform reality to your predisposed belief.

No! That translates to "drink the kool aid". You will NEVER get anywhere or come up with anything new and innovative if you follow THAT line. Who decides what is reality? Your belief does not have to be predisposed, and anyway to 'conform with reality' is to mould yourself to a predisposition in itself.

No, I just happen to have access to scientific journals

And they are always right? (Be very careful how you answer that)

edit on 15/5/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

reply to post by russ1969

I live in Malta. We have buildings here that are older than humanity if that is the case. Numerous museums around the world have artifacts that are far older.

And I know that there are many varieties of creationist dating. There are old Earth, young Earth, old Earth/young Humanity, day-age, etc. I'm really just addressing the people who buy into the 6-10,000 year old Earth thing.

Then let me clarify. I believe the earth is millions apon millions of years old. I also believe people have been around Much longer then even 10k years. I was pointing out to the O.P, most arguments are wether or not people have been around For only 5k years or so. I dont think many people think the earth is only 10k years old.

I personally dont care how old it is. It doesnt make a difference to me either way. And no, I do not believe there is an almighty god. But on the other hand, I dont care what other people believe. If they need god in their lives and it helps them, So be it. Good for them. Just dont judge me for my beliefs.They are mine and they work for me.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think that a very important clue to how old the earth is....is how old human remains are...that have been found...here is an interesting link to 400,000 year old human remains that have been found.

physorg.com...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

But Madness,

Satan put all that evidence there to trick us and keep us away from God's truth!!!

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Why are you so sure of your science...laws are not static, they can change. Like your personal habits cause biochemical changes in your body. The universe is a living thing too...

But now all sorts of well-established, multiply confirmed findings have started to look increasingly uncertain. It’s as if our facts were losing their truth: claims that have been enshrined in textbooks are suddenly unprovable. This phenomenon doesn’t yet have an official name, but it’s occurring across a wide range of fields, from psychology to ecology. In the field of medicine, the phenomenon seems extremely widespread, affecting not only antipsychotics but also therapies ranging from cardiac stents to Vitamin E and antidepressants: Davis has a forthcoming analysis demonstrating that the efficacy of antidepressants has gone down as much as threefold in recent decades. For many scientists, the effect is especially troubling because of what it exposes about the scientific process. If replication is what separates the rigor of science from the squishiness of pseudoscience, where do we put all these rigorously validated findings that can no longer be proved? Which results should we believe? Francis Bacon, the early-modern philosopher and pioneer of the scientific method, once declared that experiments were essential, because they allowed us to “put nature to the question.” But it appears that nature often gives us different answers. Read more www.newyorker.com...

www.newyorker.com...

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

I'm afraid the only constant around here is arrogance.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I don't believe that the earth is only 6,000-10,000 years old, i just don't believe we evolved from a rock.

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Wait wait wait whos the ultra christian fool who believes that the earth is 6000 years old? damn people from tennesee

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Think evolution, we needed more then 4 billion years to evolve.

What's your evidence for this?

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

The Earth is approximately 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error there).
Citation 1
Citation 2
Citation 3

To say that the Earth is 6000 years old is just plain wrong. It's not even close. It's 0.000131291028% of the Earth's actual age. The scale of wrongness is just so staggering that I can't think of an appropriate way to construct an analogy. I mean, the margin of error on the measurement of the Earth's age is actually larger than the age proposed by some people.

Now, there is actual science out there that proves that the Earth is 4.57 billion years old (1% margin of error), where is the science that proves that the Earth is 6000-10,000 years old/

I haven't seen a post of yours for some time, probably because I haven't engaged in the battle for the existence of God or not in a while. But I see your still at it, so here goes me. The Earth is almost 4.5+ billion years old. Humans are only 10,000 or less years old. Even the Bible says that the Earth is old. But that being said, God still exists and He did create the Earth and mankind.

edit on 15-5-2011 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2011 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join