It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rape of women in DR Congo 'tops 1000 a day'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Rape of women in DR Congo 'tops 1000 a day'

english.aljazeera.net

More than 1,100 women are raped every day in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), making sexual violence against women 26 times more common than previously thought, a study has concluded.

More than 400,000 women and girls between the ages of 15 to 49 were raped in the war-ravaged country in central Africa during a 12-month period in 2006 and 2007, according to the study published in the American Journal of Public Health on Wednesday.

That is 26 times more than the 15,000 women that the United Nations has reported were raped there during the same 12 months.

"Our results confirm tha
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Wow... I don't even know what to say. There is nothing one can do, other then condemn the actions and symathise with the victims. Rape is surely a disgusting thing and sometimes I believe if I had my way I would have rapist stand trial and possibly recieve the death sentence. At times I think that rape is a far more henious and disgusting crime than murder. One can kill in self-defence but one can never rape in self-defence.

This truly is some of the more shocking news I've heard today and I've heard some really shocking news. Anyway, this estimate is still conservative as it exlcudes ceratin age groups and many who are raped will no admit it. Also it excludes men who have been raped.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Yeah it's crazy what happens over there. You should read up on the Rwanda genocide of more than 1 million people were systematically slaughtered in 1994 about 20% of the country.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Watch national geographic explorer "the science of evil".... it talks about that and the problem with dominance and aggression in that area. it's a very good documentary. It had different angles to the subject as well. I found it very interesting. you can find it on netflix if you have that.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
"more than 400,000 raped "

The actual number is 433, 785. Which would put the rapes down to.... get this ONE RAPE PER MINUTE!!! How disgusting is that?? We need to go into there and mess crap up not Iraq. The Bogey-mans dead now send some troops to there.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
it's not just rape, it's murder because you know they are spreading hiv.

it makes you wonder how a blind eye gets turned to things like that. it's like they want them to all get sick and die.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The walking dead. Some may know what I mean.
edit on 12-5-2011 by Luckyxfactor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I would suggest people become familiar with the history that region and why they appear to remain in a constant state of war. You may (or may not) be surprised at which nations allowed and perpetuated these chain of events in result of their political meddling.

news.bbc.co.uk...

As far as I see it...much of Africa has become grounds for plundering among richer and more powerful nations that seek out their natural resources. What you seem to be so much in shock about is a consequence of human nature at its worst. Nothing new...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by R3N3G4D3

The actual number is 433, 785. Which would put the rapes down to.... get this ONE RAPE PER MINUTE!!! How disgusting is that?? We need to go into there and mess crap up not Iraq. The Bogey-mans dead now send some troops to there.

Why don't we go there, The troops will not go there, no money to be made

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I would suggest people become familiar with the history that region and why they appear to remain in a constant state of war. You may (or may not) be surprised at which nations allowed and perpetuated these chain of events in result of their political meddling.

news.bbc.co.uk...

As far as I see it...much of Africa has become grounds for plundering among richer and more powerful nations that seek out their natural resources. What you seem to be so much in shock about is a consequence of human nature at its worst. Nothing new...

I couldn't care less about the condition of their country or who is to blame for it. There is absolutely no excuse for going around raping people. "OH sorry for raping you, but my country is in the hole and I'm in poverty" Sorry that doesn't cut it. There is never, EVER any justification or reasoning to someone raping. I can even understand killing/robbing in order to survive. Raping accomplishes absolutely nothing other than making yourself look like a savage.
edit on 12-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I'm not excusing these actions, they ARE savages...and they ARE also human. I'm posing the question as to what forces are behind these atrocities.
Get off your high horses, these type of atrocities happen all throughout history and everywhere humans have settled. If you at least want to face the subject intelligently you should do a little research.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

These people that rape, just mirroring their surroundings. Trauma and indoctrination from birth, that's all
They turn good men in to machine men with machine hearths.

Girls from 15 years old get raped. I heard that 12years are not that uncommon either. Trauma pass on, circle never ends.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours

Originally posted by R3N3G4D3

Why don't we go there, The troops will not go there, no money to be made

I know this.But humanity says JESUS H!!! GO IN FOR THE SAKE OF OTHER HUMANS ON THIS PLANET!!!! Don't let their one shot at life be ruined after 12 short years. Otherwise you'll ruin that child's life and also create someone who lives in deep regret or someone who is looking for payback and will never get it.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana

news.bbc.co.uk...

Here we go with the oh so predictable 'It's all the fault of the colonialists and big corporations' bs.
I've travelled throughout Africa and lived and worked there. Let me tell you life is cheap. They are not squeamish about cutting the lips, noses and ears off kids in the laughingly called Lords Resistance Army. In Rwanda, people were not squeamish about laying into their neighbour with a machete. In some parts of Africa it's routine to install 'rape bars' as a defence at your bedroom door. It's in the genes.
edit on 12-5-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
The best solution would be to send in our highly trained soldiers, to exterminate the scum that do these crimes and then at least the people could go back to some sort of normal lives and at least that might stem further refugees. How terrible this is and the world always sits back and does nadda. I guess they wish they had oil.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Mmmmm just one of the many reasons why I vacation in the DRC.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by maikaru19
Maybe the women there are so sexy that's why the suspects are so tempted to them haha!

That would be the mounties take

Students and staff at Osgoode Hall Law School are demanding an apology and explanation from the Toronto Police Service after one of their officers suggested women can avoid sexual assault by not dressing like a “slut.”link

I guess we should all just concede to Islam and drape our women in black sheets. But that apparently doesnt work too well either since they're always getting themselves stoned to death for tempting their attackers.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I've seen a documentary once about what is going on down there. They interviewed and reported about several rape vicitims, down to a 12 year old girl that was pregnant because of it.
It was disgusting, shocking and just unbelievable.
They reported for example that those soldiers came to a house, they dragged the womand and her husband on the street, raped the woman, her husband had to watch and then they cutted him into three pieces.

The war is going on since 1998 and over 5 million people were killed (and i guess some hundred thousand more will die of aids in the future)

It's unbelievable, that all the other countries do nothing. The U.N. just talks and talks and talks about how bad it is but don't do anything.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10I've traveled throughout Africa and lived and worked there. Let me tell you life is cheap. They are not squeamish about cutting the lips, noses and ears off kids in the laughingly called Lords Resistance Army. In Rwanda, people were not squeamish about laying into their neighbour with a machete. In some parts of Africa it's routine to install 'rape bars' as a defence at your bedroom door. It's in the genes.

I agree, in the genes. My girlfriend was a surgeon's assistant, and once some doctors invited her to go with them to perform reconstructive surgery on african women. The women had developed infections after giving birth due to the lack of sanitary conditions. So their husbands simply tied them up in the backyard for hyenas to eat. Some survived. Thankfully I was able to talk her out of going.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join