It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superbug bacteria found in Metro Detroit meat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Superbug bacteria found in Metro Detroit meat

detnews.com

For the first time in the United States, scientists have shown that the antibiotic-resistant bacteria MRSA is sometimes found in meat and poultry available at the neighborhood grocery store.

Published online Wednesday in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's journal Emerging Infectious Diseases, the study by Wayne State University researchers included 289 raw meat samples from 30 grocery stores in Detroit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.clickondetroit.com
www.wxyz.com
english.sina.com
www.doctorslounge.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Community-Associated (CA)-MRSA, antibiotic resistant staph infection,

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I admit to not knowing much about MRSA, mainly because I had always felt that it was something we didn't need to worry about:don't work, don't attend school, rarely in large crowds or hospitals.

But to find that our meat supply is contaminated is a bit scary.
I was especially worried about the part about handling raw meats and having a cut or other break in the skin. Guess I'll be wearing gloves with raw meat from now on.

You just knew that feeding our food supply antibiotics as a regular course was going to become a bigger issue than it already is.

detnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Wow, I live in Warren, so this is scary! I might not be eating meat for awhile.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

If it's in metro Detroit, it's probably all over the US.

I think we just need to take more precautions. I know I am lax, although I do wash my hands a lot when handling raw meats.
and:

In addition to taking other precautions when handling meat, MRSA is killed when the meat is cooked thoroughly, Siegel added.

Siegel also suggested washing plates or utensils used to prepare food before using them again to eat. And, it is important to disinfect counters that have come into contact with meats, he advised.

These precautions would also kill off any other S. aureus, which "we don't need in our meat either," Siegel said.

www.doctorslounge.com...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I live in Warren too. I'm not to worried if thier just now finding it it's had to of been here for a while. The water here will probobly kill you first.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This super bug was found in bedbugs, and now Meat in Detroit.... Looks like they are trying to kill off the poor.. Just another reason to stay away from Detroit...
edit on 11-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
For a true carnivore like myself, this doth not bode well.

But, I make it a point to cook food as thoroughly as I can, and I am VERY picky about how my food is handled after experiencing a bout of food poisoning years ago.

You learn a lot when you go through that, i tell ya lol

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

im in belleville and id have to agree with you lol

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I remember having MRSA back in high school from skidding my knee on the gym floor at baseball practice.... one of the worst experiences I have ever had... this is scary stuff.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

grew up in Southfield..LOL

boy.. i miss Greek-town..

J.L. Hudsons....

Vernors ....

Never had MERSA... !!!! don't miss THAT!!
edit on 5/11/11 by darrman because: spellinglish

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

If it's in metro Detroit, it's probably all over the US.

I would agree with this. What I find strange is several times I have been in the hospital visiting family & freinds
in the recovery area from surgery, etc... three times I saw rooms with the MRSA warning.

The scariest time was when I was visiting a patient with a double occupancy room, and mid way through the stay the other patient was moved out into their own room due to MRSA.

We all thought that was just great, as we had been in the same room with that patient for three days.

I think its more of an issue than we are told.
edit on 11-5-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Let's all trust the government and believe that it's ONLY in Detroit and nowhere else... Right?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
its probably been here for awhile now, and we're just finding out about it now

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The question is how much of that is shipped around the US if from there, or shipped to there from somewhere else? Sounds like it's most likely in other places, now to get testing for it, but don't depends on the FDA or EPA. Unless they are behind some sort of conspiracy to spread it because, didn't some source say there's a cure...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Nothing like the thought of tainted meat to uhm curb your appetite a little eh?

I can say from general knowledge that microbes are some tough little things, especially when they can live in hostile environments like the sea floor hot spouts, caves, chemicals, you name it, they will be on it.

Sugar cravings? Might be tied to yeast. The three main gut bacterial types really gives an upper hand possibly to both sides - human or otherwise. It seems many things could be suspect; government experimentation, increased radiation (solar and otherwise), increased CO2 (aren't some known to thrive on that?) and who knows what else affecting this perfect storm of life soup.

In my opinion, the microbes will take down a certain number no matter what, and to illustrate this concept take a look at the clip on the Cordyceps fungi making zombies out of ants - around 2:45 he talks about their purpose and when I heard that part I had to wonder if we are a target due to our population(s).

If you've never seen it, its well worth a watch - David Attenboro narrates:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Ok that does it.

I'm putting on my tinfoil hat, buying lead underwear, a self-contained oxygen suit, and an antiseptic shower like the ones they have in virology/radiation labs.

... And I think I'm going to try and figure out how to live off of my own saliva as a main food source.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I saved my family because I burned the Chicken

This is engineered failure.
Nature abhors taking shortcuts.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Other than the fact that the study was done at Wayne State University in Detroit, and so the meat was found locally, this is not limited to Detroit.
It was just the first study of its kind in the US, and according to the articles, studies have been done in other countries.

MRSA seems to be everywhere.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

UPDATE

Study: Super germ in meat a U.S. issue, not just Metro Detroit

A study that found the antibiotic-resistant bacteria MRSA in meat and chicken in retail stores was aimed at demonstrating that this is a national issue, not just a problem among a few grocers in Metro Detroit, the author said Thursday.

The scientists embarked on the research since the issue has not been studied much in the United States, even though a body of research has demonstrated that meat in European retail stores can become contaminated with the superbug.

detnews.com...

Though S. aureus is commonly found on the human body -- some studies estimate approximately 20 percent of the population are long-term carriers of the bacteria -- methicillin-resistant strains of the pathogen (MRSA) are of increasing concern to the public health community because they are difficult, and expensive, to treat and can cause life-threatening illness.

www.foodsafetynews.com...

This update was no doubt published because many thought the contamination was only in metro Detroit.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

It is thought that food handlers in stores are the likely source of the contamination.
Acting as carriers, they may touch their nose and then continue with their work with produce and meat.
Makes me glad so much produce is now prepackaged.

ETA
more MRSA info
www.whas11.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on Fri May 13 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join