It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alarming combo: Bedbugs with 'superbug' germ found

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesII

Supposedly not. I wouldn't breath it into your lungs, nor would i recommend breathing in powdered sugar...
Apparently all of them that aren't food grade are treated with chemicals and are carcinogenic. I'm not a scientist so i haven't tested if the food grade stuff isn't 100 percent carcinogenic but they say it's not.
edit on 11-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2011 by dwmjr1985 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chesster
reply to post by EyesII

Hey eyes, if they can be killed by freezing... couldn't new yorkers just wait until winter and open all the windows and cool down a building for a day or two and kill all of them?

Maybe nobody ever thought of it. Anyhow time to kill imaginary bedbug infestation near me.

Good idea, but just not practical. The cost of re-heating an entire building overnight would be costly, but I do like the idea of chilling out a few residents. There are a few hot-heads I would like to be "treated".

Would you believe that the senior citizens are the ones that will be up at arms about the temps in their apartment.

They don't even complain when they are bitten by BB's. They think it is a rash or a mosquito bite. When they show the bite marks to a doctor, relative or neighbor, that's when they wake up and call in the problem.

-E2

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Dude, I hate bed bugs. After reading this now I have to super clean my home. Thanks for sharing and time to get a new mattress.

Doesn't matter... Dirty houses don't attract or create bedbugs... Doesnt have anything to do with it

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
reply to post by EyesII

The dogs can be washed in Permethrin* shampoo for example,if not sprayed with a Permethrin solution after investigating the mites. Not the best but the safest use of chemicals for a dog that may have been infected, it can help to prevent infestations.

Thank you for the really good info, Dreamingawake.

Since we don't own the dogs that sniff out BB's, this would not benefit us directly; but I would inquire with the dog owner (such as Bell Environmental - Rosco the Bed bug sniffing Dog) before hand if we decided to use a dog to detect these critters. I certainly don't want a dog bringing in BB's into an apartment (either already infected, or not infected). Nor do I want a dog leaving these guys in the hallways.

-E2

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Is that a freaking bedbug in your avatar dude?

Just wondering looks kinda cool.

Oh and I know,my house is actually immaculate right now, preparing to capture my next girlfriend. And you know women like clean nests.

But, I like to preempt and look around, bugs are crazy and do not respect property rights. they are like hippies except they don't really bring any drugs.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

reply to post by HunkaHunka

But, I like to preempt and look around, bugs are crazy and do not respect property rights. they are like hippies except they don't really bring any drugs.

Yep, I would say more like squatters that take over a home. Look up Adverse Possession.

-E2

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Those bugs sounds like a problem...

Anyhow wasn't the original way to get rid of bedbugs (which is why they became rare in this country until recently) using steam? (Either that or DDT, but that one's banned.) Seems like it would be cheaper than fancy chemicals or the freeze method. Get an electric powered canister and some boiling hot vapor at low pressure should be able to kill anything. (Including the eggs.) A wand attachment should be able to reach under a mattress fairly well and also blast furniture cushions and such to get rid of those unwanted pests. Steam also has penetrating power when it comes to fabric, so it's not like using some kind of dry heat where the bugs could crawl in deeper into a mattress to stay safe. Double team the bugs (one person vacuums for any escapees while the other one is using the steam) and they should be knocked down pretty quick.

Doing an online search for "steam cleaners" shows that there are some electric units suitable for the job available for as low as $100. If I was a hotelier and wanted to nip such problems in the bud, housekeeping would have one of those units pretty quick.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

Or just use an iron... by the way thanks for that steam info. Busting out my iron now to steam my bed. Either way should be good for sanitation. I didn't see any bed bugs yet. But I am sure some bacteria and fungus's must reside in a bed after awhile. Beds are pretty nasty, especially what we do in them.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

Finding the bed bug's nest is not that easy.. They can fit in almost any nook which includes between two pieces of wood in your head board, floor boards anything with even the smallest gap is a potential bed bug nest..

The best way to identify whether or not you have a bed bug infestation is if you notice any strange bites and especially if you see blood stains on your sheets or walls. Bed bugs reproduce by the male using his syringe like reproductive organ and literally stabbing his mate in the abdomen (a process known as traumatic insemination)... Since bed bugs will only reproduce with partners engorged with blood it is guaranteed to spatter during the mating process. This is usually done away from the host so you will notice blood spatter from this on your walls etc.. Feeding will get blood on the sheets and is a tell tale sign.

Bed bug bites do not always leave marks or rashes.. Sometimes there are no visible symptoms at all but the warning signs I just mentioned will still be there.

Here is an image so you will be able to identify them should you see one.

Knowledge is a powerful weapon against bed bugs.
edit on 11-5-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Aw man, that is kinda cool. Didn't know anything could reproduce by stabbing anything. I love the name for bed bug mating fits perfectly.

Well I have no blood, insect bites or rashes. But I did just empty out my bedroom guys. Found tons of money. So at least searching for bed bugs is paying off. Well I guess I am happy I haven't found any evidence. Still going to steam the bed room. Just cause it sounds pretty sanitary to do.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Justa FYI... here in the St Louis area there was a front page story a while back about a couple who bought a nice antique couch off of Craigslist and became infested with bedbugs. The treatments didnt work well and they basically had to burn or trash all of their belongings... plus their toddler got sick. Id say, unfortunately, watch out what you buy used or antique. Im an antiques collector and will buy nothing fabric or covered anymore due to this.. who needs the headache, expense, and potential illness?

what is a bedbug
www.youtube.com...

Identifying and inspecting for bedbugs
www.youtube.com...

How to get rid of bedbugs
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Judging by the rise of bedbugs last year, we may be headed to a bedbug apocalypse. We should find out if this year is going to be worse soon.

i.imgur.com...

edit on 11-5-2011 by GalacticJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
great...... its in my hometown now

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Dude, I hate bed bugs. After reading this now I have to super clean my home. Thanks for sharing and time to get a new mattress.

Doesn't matter... Dirty houses don't attract or create bedbugs... Doesnt have anything to do with it

not entirely true... even the cleanest of places can becomes infested...
the only diff is you'll have clean bugs

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join