It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alarming combo: Bedbugs with 'superbug' germ found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Alarming combo: Bedbugs with 'superbug' germ found

news.yahoo.com

ATLANTA – Hate insects? Afraid of germs? Researchers are reporting an alarming combination: bedbugs carrying a staph "superbug."

Canadian scientists detected drug-resistant staph bacteria in bedbugs from three hospital patients from a downtrodden Vancouver neighborhood.

Bedbugs have not been known to spread disease, and there's no clear evidence that the five bedbugs found on the patients or their belongings had spread the MRSA germ they were carrying or a second less dangerous drug-resistant
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Bed Bug.... MRSA... exploding populations... carried internationally as stowaways.... anyone else see this as a potential global crises???

OK so the study was small...

Five bedbugs were crushed and analyzed. MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, was found on three bugs. MRSA is resistant to several types of common antibiotics and can become deadly if it gets through the skin and into the bloodstream.

But look at the ratio... 5 bed bugs picked at random and 3 of the 5 carried MRSA ...

Two bugs had VRE, or vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium, a less dangerous form of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

now that is scarry....

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Dude, I hate bed bugs. After reading this now I have to super clean my home. Thanks for sharing and time to get a new mattress.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This sucks for New York City.. We have had a plague of bed bugs in this city in recent years..

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
How on earth does this crazy stuff happen? Ugh. MRSA in our meat. Now bed bugs who carry it?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Digging deeper into this story I found another wounderful little fact from the CDC.concerning MRSA and bed bugs.

At risk populations include:

People with weak immune systems (people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer patients, transplant recipients, severe asthmatics, etc.)
Diabetics
Intravenous drug users
Use of quinolone antibiotics
Young children
The elderly
College students living in dormitories
People staying or working in a health care facility for an extended period of time
People who spend time in coastal waters where MRSA is present, such as some beaches in Florida and the west coast of the United States
People who spend time in confined spaces with other people, including prison inmates, military recruits in basic training, and individuals who spend considerable time in changerooms or gyms.

So basically their saying... most all of us are at risk

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denco
How on earth does this crazy stuff happen?

Environmentalist psychopaths lobbied the government to ban the stuff that kills bed bugs.

Obviously the government went along with it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Have you ever heard of diatomaceous earth, its a natural way to take care of bed bugs, and it works quite well. Another way they kill bed bugs is by using Nitrous Oxide to freeze them to death, it also destroys the larva in their eggs. But if you live in an apartment and one of your neighbors has them, your screwed, no matter what you use to get rid of them, they will return. They can crawl through cracks in the walls and electrical sockets. They truly are evil little creatures.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It seems like the best place to get deadly sick these days is in a hospital. Now you can even bring home little friends from the hospital that will spread it around even more at home. The world is upside down, inside out and the loonies are running the asylum!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dwmjr1985

Ehem... And where could one buy a large quantity of nitrous oxide to kill bed bugs?

Cause besides hitting up a dentist, or the head shop for the tiny canisters it would be hard to do without a large tank.

Never heard of a natural way. My ex girlfriend had a bed bug issue. She had to burn all her clothing, bed, sofa, sheets... basically everything she had. Including my heart

But yea bed bugs suck..

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

I used to buy NOS at a speed shop... you know where you buy parts to hot rod your cars...
NOS has long been used in drag racing...

if you cant find one of those trying a welding shop... they Mix NOS with other gases... they would have it

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Chesster

Diatomaceous earth is a natural way. It sucks having a powder around your bed, but its better than nothing. D-earth is fossilized hard shelled algae that are so microscopic and sharp that it cuts through the exo-skelleton of many insects. They even make food grade D-earth and apparently it helps get rid of worms and can lower cholesterol..lol. Just like weed, nature has its cures..lol

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Naw.. that nos is no good.. I mean... ya know.. maybe i have bed bugs in my brain too. Haha. Sorry for confusion. Think whip it, whip it good. Without the whip cream.

I mean if I am going to pretend to be exterminator and assasinate bed bugs I ightest well kill the brain cells that would remember that

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Wonder if you can use that to exfoliate or clear out your skin from infectious fungus and bacteria. Thanks for info going to Whole Foods later to get some.

And maybe a few cans of whip cream since you all have me reminiscing Ha JK

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Oh yeah!

The treatments are expensive - about $400 per room for Mr. Freeze treatments.

About $250 per apartment (all rooms) for chemical treatments. Two treatments are covered in the chem treatment fee, each two weeks apart.

I didn't even get into the costs of the inspection to determine if they are bed bugs. That can be done by humans or by dogs. The problem I see with dogs is that the bed bugs can climb onto the dog and now the dog is a transmitter. Human exterminators usually spray their feet (shoes/boots) before they leave an infected apartment. You can't do that to a dog.

Raid and over-the-counter products does nothing to them, and only licensed exterminators can handle the chemicals needed to kill these guys.

Biggest pain in the neck is the preparation work of re-washing all clothing in hot water, and the removal of everything on the walls, in dressers and closets. Placing all cleaned stuff in zip-lock bags. Vacuming until the rug is worn-out, and duct-taping and then tossing out each and every vac bag after each vacuming. You can't use a shop vac as the filtering is not so great on those machines. Bagless vac's (Dyson) don't work either.

Yes the earth you described is what is used in pool filters, and works well to kill the bed bugs. HOWEVER, the diathamacious (sp) earth is also a carcinogen. Kills BB's and gives people cancer. It should not be inhaled.

If in an apartment building, the proper proceedure is to chemically or Mr Freeze treat at least 5 units all on the same day. The center infected unit is the last unit to be treated. The units directly above, below, left and right, (and sometimes the ones accross the hallway) are all treated. To make sure the treatments work, all occupants MUST follow the preparation proceedure to the T. All it takes is one unit to not follow proper preparation proceedure and you are look at a resurgence of bed bugs again.

Also, in NYC there is a new law in place that prohibits an un-bagged bed, mattress or frame from being discarded. There is a proceedure on that too. All painful and costly.

These bed bugs are somewhat smart. They can hide in electric outlets, cracks in the baseboards or flooring, ceiling holes for light fixtures, in picture frames, and any other small area. Doesn't have to always be a mattress or box spring. They can remain dormant for up to 12 months without feeding.

Scary stuff these little guys. Humans usually react just like an Elephant would when he sees a mouse.

AND you don't have to be a "dirty person" to get these guys. Even high-end 5th avenue properties and stores have them.

They are taking over NYC, yet they can't be evicted, despite never paying any rent!!! (lol)

Oh, I almost forgot. If you get these things at work, good luck with that. The building owner will have to treat the office, just like the apartment building is treated, but ofices have a heck of a lot more crap to clean and clear out.

-E2
edit on 11-5-2011 by EyesII because: Becuse I can't type and think at the same time!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesII

That's because the kind you use in your pool is treated with heating and fluxing agents. You would be surprised how many carcinogens are in your food and medicine.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesII

Hey eyes, if they can be killed by freezing... couldn't new yorkers just wait until winter and open all the windows and cool down a building for a day or two and kill all of them?

Maybe nobody ever thought of it. Anyhow time to kill imaginary bedbug infestation near me.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I read an article along time ago where it stated scientist loaded these things with every disease you can think of, even hiv/aids. but never once had they found evidence that they transmitted anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dwmjr1985
reply to post by EyesII

That's because the kind you use in your pool is treated with heating and fluxing agents. You would be surprised how many carcinogens are in your food and medicine.

Well, I that just made me loose my appetite for the day!

Do you know if the food-industry version of D-earth not a carcinogen?

I like the NOS idea. Not so much to treat the BB's, but to treat (calm down) the residents. Every time a BB incident occurs, the affected residents all go ballistic. NOS should help a lot in that regard!

-E2

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesII

The dogs can be washed in Permethrin* shampoo for example,if not sprayed with a Permethrin solution after investigating the mites. Not the best but the safest use of chemicals for a dog that may have been infected, it can help to prevent infestations. Of course the dog can still act as a fomite for the mites, if they do not exit the animal after feeding.

*Do not use on cats.

A Permethrin solutions, can buy these already prepared can be used to spray down beds, etc in hotels when you first arrive to help prevent being infested. Though an 'area bug bomb' is the best when the infestation has hitched a ride into your home. Pets who cannot be near the bomb, can benefit from washings of Permethrin shampoos.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join