It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Gas Prices Ridiculous? Try living in Canada.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't have a car, but I know it makes everything go up in prices, especially food

Harper really looooves west Canada, loves money too but generally doesn't like people...unless it comes down to money making.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Makes me glad I got a motorbike last year. Half tank of gas for my truck $60 full tank for my bike $15. I am thankful that least Alberta prices aren't as ridiculous as the rest of the country, even if they are pretty high, I won't complain as loud. I forsee a lot of backyard camping since it would cost too much to actually haul the trailer out anywhere.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by brindle

Originally posted by delboy644
reply to post by jude11

Here in Scotland just filled my car up at £1.41 a litre. There are nearly 4 litres in a U.S. Gallon (3.7854 to be exact) and at the current exchange rate that works out at $8.73 a Gallon. Soon I wont be able to afford to go to work.
You dont need a car in Scotland.Scotland is small enough to ride a horse anywhere you need to go.You dont need a car.Toughen up a little bit.

Nice to hear but a horse in the middle of Toronto isn't going to go down very well. Scotland may be small enough but Canada isn't.

Even in a small town horses are not allowed inside town limits. Get a permit for your horse.Petition the city that you use a horse for your transportation and demand a permit.That way you can stop worrying about high gas prices.Its a way to communicate with animals too.Screw all the gas fumes and #.Be a real man.

Yes, we all have to start thinking differently, cutting back. Making one trip instead of 2 etc.

Thanks.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I live in the city and have cycled my entire life and thats the answer for me and i will preach it because it works for me.
I have never felt the effects of gas prices.
If you do it alot you get more in shape and it seems like nothing.
Once you get your legs,you can go alot further then you thought you could.

Toronto also has good public transit if cycling seems to be too much.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Australia is the same as Canada..
It's normal to drive 20+miles to get to work..
Personally I do over 300miles a week..
Petrol here is $1.50 a liter...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by brindle

If the mennonites can do it and still do it to this day then what are we doing wrong??

I have never had a car and never will because i am able to cycle almost anywhere i go.
Your car is a giant bank machine for the oil companies and I never bought into that train of thought.
Find alternatives and lets get rid of these jerks and take one back for the little guy instead of some corporation hellbent on taking every dollar they can from you.

Whats the difference between a gas user and a crackhead???
Nothing....you'll be back when you run out.

Sorry if my post offended anyone...I am a little passionette on this issue.

Since you're expecting a little back talk...
Some areas of Canada don't have taxis or buses. Also riding a bike into town, which takes 1/2 hour by vehicle, 50 KM away, with dirt grid roads, isn't even feasible. A couple of years ago, I had a loose bull threaten my little black trailblazer :shk: He even took up chase for while. Rare that they get out, but bicycles aren't a good option if you're dodging bulls.

Also, it's not just the price of gas for our vehicles, with the prairies long winters, this could affect our home heating next year. This past winter the average price I heard for winter heating, whether gas, oil, or propane, or electric was around $500 a month. People spent a lot of time complaining about the costs. I'll be doing wood heat this coming winter, which is going to be a little cheaper, but the house insurance will go up about $50, because of the wood stove.

I drive as little as possible now, I only go into town once a week. Thankfully I don't have to work, and the hubby is a truck driver for a company, so he doesn't pay for gas. That large truck he drives costs over $1500 per fill up.
This is affecting prices of everything that gets put on a truck for delivery, food, furniture, etc.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Bicycles aren't a good option if you're dodging bulls.

And better advice has never been given on ATS lol

Laughed so hard I had to go pee...

Thanks for that...made my day!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Get real with the horse and buggy comments people.
It's not doable for those living in cities.
And even those living outside cities, you need the space for a barn and grazing pasture, and let's not forget licensing and vet fees.
The best bet (if you can afford the up-front costs) is a hybrid vehicle.

edit on 11-5-2011 by Konstantinos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by brindle

If the mennonites can do it and still do it to this day then what are we doing wrong??

I have never had a car and never will because i am able to cycle almost anywhere i go.
Your car is a giant bank machine for the oil companies and I never bought into that train of thought.
Find alternatives and lets get rid of these jerks and take one back for the little guy instead of some corporation hellbent on taking every dollar they can from you.

Whats the difference between a gas user and a crackhead???
Nothing....you'll be back when you run out.

Sorry if my post offended anyone...I am a little passionette on this issue.

Since you're expecting a little back talk...
Some areas of Canada don't have taxis or buses. Also riding a bike into town, which takes 1/2 hour by vehicle, 50 KM away, with dirt grid roads, isn't even feasible. A couple of years ago, I had a loose bull threaten my little black trailblazer :shk: He even took up chase for while. Rare that they get out, but bicycles aren't a good option if you're dodging bulls.

Also, it's not just the price of gas for our vehicles, with the prairies long winters, this could affect our home heating next year. This past winter the average price I heard for winter heating, whether gas, oil, or propane, or electric was around $500 a month. People spent a lot of time complaining about the costs. I'll be doing wood heat this coming winter, which is going to be a little cheaper, but the house insurance will go up about $50, because of the wood stove.

I drive as little as possible now, I only go into town once a week. Thankfully I don't have to work, and the hubby is a truck driver for a company, so he doesn't pay for gas. That large truck he drives costs over $1500 per fill up.
This is affecting prices of everything that gets put on a truck for delivery, food, furniture, etc.

Who needs food delivery.I eat tree bark and grass.Grass is the only food you need to survive.For warmth,you can cuddle with a pack of dogs,negating the need for heating oil,which is a complete waste of money.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
2 nights ago it was 1.30. then the next day it was 1.37...never seen 7 cents over night. i sh!t my pants.

Be prepared to see more spikes in price. In that case you may then experience symptoms of diarrhea. Can I supply you with a few rolls of toilet paper and new pairs of pants?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I am glad to see you go to wood this winter.

I have to respond to the 50 kms statement you made.
I have biked 50kms and drank all day and biked 50kms home so the distance argument doesn't work with me.

You get better after you do it for awhile.
My longest trip was 170 kms in under 24 hours....its doable.(with a fellow atser)

If I can do it then the distance argument is a weak one to me.
Its a matter of repetition...do it enough and it seems like nothing.

OOPS...I didn't see the bull comment.

Nice.
edit on 11-5-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

2 nights ago it was 1.30. then the next day it was 1.37...never seen 7 cents over night. i sh!t my pants.

Be prepared to see more spikes in price. In that case you may then experience symptoms of diarrhea. Can I supply you with a few rolls of toilet paper and new pairs of pants?

pfft i'd be a fool to turn down free pants and TP lol message me for my address i'll be expecting thease supplies asap
(jk)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos
It's not feasable for those living in cities.
You need the space for a barn and grazing pasture, and let's not forget licensing and vet fees.

You are right. Owning a horse is expensive as you need to feed them expensive hay and take time to clean up after them. I used to own and ride horses, so I can tell you from experience it is best not to get involved (especially in this economy). Buggies are expensive to maintain, and the parts are expensive to import. And who the hell would ride a buggy anyways? They look ugly.

You should buy a Chev Sprint ('88 model). These little cars have a 33 L tank of gas. I drove 720 km on one tank of gas. Now THAT is a car worth investing money into. Cheap on gas, and only about CDN$2000 to purchase (if you can find them that cheap and in working condition).

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

pfft i'd be a fool to turn down free pants and TP lol message me for my address i'll be expecting thease supplies asap
(jk)

Ooops, I should have changed "new" to "some used pairs of pants that are still in wearable condition" hahaha. Let me call my manufacturer in China and see if I can get some $2 dollah sweats for ya!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Konstantinos
It's not feasable for those living in cities.
You need the space for a barn and grazing pasture, and let's not forget licensing and vet fees.

You are right. Owning a horse is expensive as you need to feed them expensive hay and take time to clean up after them. I used to own and ride horses, so I can tell you from experience it is best not to get involved (especially in this economy). Buggies are expensive to maintain, and the parts are expensive to import. And who the hell would ride a buggy anyways? They look ugly.

You should buy a Chev Sprint ('88 model). These little cars have a 33 L tank of gas. I drove 720 km on one tank of gas. Now THAT is a car worth investing money into. Cheap on gas, and only about CDN$2000 to purchase (if you can find them that cheap and in working condition).
Those little chevy sprints are too fragile.The whole door will crash in if a basketball hits the door.What do you expect from the japanese chevy sprint.Its amazing chevy stamped there name on that peice of # japanese car with a suzuki motor and all japanese parts,what a scam.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
If your thinking about a chevy sprint,you should probably upgrade to the yugo if you need a car that bad.Real men ride horses.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Bicycles aren't a good option if you're dodging bulls.

And better advice has never been given on ATS lol

Laughed so hard I had to go pee...

Thanks for that...made my day!

He was black, my little chevy trailblazer, is also black, I think that he thought that I looked like him. People in town got a good laugh too when I told them. It was scary, but funny after

For warmth,you can cuddle with a pack of dogs,negating the need for heating oil,which is a complete waste of money.

Brindle, you're definitely right, I do this, 3 sleep with me in the winter, it keeps the bed warm and heat down at night. With the amount of snow in Saskatchewan, they stay very clean in the winter

DrumsRFun, our dirt roads out here are terrible, tractors and such. Plus I haul water from town. At least the pickup truck doesn't take as much gas as the trailblazer does. Also when you only drive once a week, groceries take up lots of space.

I'm one of the luckiest, not having to drive to work everyday, and hubby being a truck driver, that is not an owner, is also really good, because we don't have to pay for much gas.

Those that own large delivery trucks are really going to have a hard time with this, depending on the industry.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle

Those little chevy sprints are too fragile.The whole door will crash in if a basketball hits the door.What do you expect from the japanese chevy sprint.Its amazing chevy stamped there name on that peice of # japanese car with a suzuki motor and all japanese parts,what a scam.

Sounds like the Chev Aveo, which was originally a Daewoo P.O.S.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I laughed again as I read it again...

It's a life lesson if I ever heard one.

This should be your next signature for your profile:

"Bicycles aren't a good option if you're dodging bulls."

Almost like "Never bring a knife to a Gun Fight" LOL

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If you really need a car,convert an old cast iron tub into a fuel efficient car.Slap a 6 horsepower lawnmower engine onto it with some lawnmower tractor tires.The safety rating on the tub will blow away any car on the road.Cars will deflect and richocet off of you.Lay another tub directly over the base tub,and weld them together.They will fit perfect,cut out a window,make it bulletproof.Top speed should reach 50 miles an hour or better.You should get 80 miles to the gallon in this hog,plus it will be a green car since you can reuse 2 old bathtubs and an old lawnmower engine and tires.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join