It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Gas Prices Ridiculous? Try living in Canada.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Had a conversation with a friend last week and I remember him stating that these ridiculous gas prices will soon start to drop because oil is on the way down. I never wanted someone to be so right.

But here we are...oil coming down and gas...continues to climb.

I know the US was in shock when some States were seeing $5 per gallon. Ha!

How about $5.60 and up? That's what some experienced in Canada.

The scary thing is that we here in Canada are not hearing any news that the upward swing will soon end. In fact, as we approach summer, it is a certainty to continue to rise as that's what happens.

It's ridiculous that I now drive only when I absolutely have to. I don't want to think of a holiday trip as the budget for fuel will outweigh everything else.

So now the Govt. believes we have an extra $1,000 to shell out? The equivalent of a 7% tax hike...as if we didn't have enough taxes already. An extra 12 Billion GONE from our pockets.

I DON'T HAVE ANOTHER $1,000 TO GIVE!

Higher Canadian gas prices could cost households an extra $950 this year: CIBC

www.calgaryherald.com...

OTTAWA — The recent surge in gasoline prices, if sustained, will cost the average Canadian household an extra $950 this year, according to a report issued Monday. CIBC World Markets said the 25 per cent rise in pump prices since September would, at current levels, cost Canadian consumers an extra $12 billion over the course of 2011, equivalent to a tax hike of about seven per cent. Read more: www.canada.com...

The Central Canada gas price puzzle

www.ctv.ca...

Record gasoline prices are hammering consumers in Central Canada, even though oil prices are sitting well below recent highs and most regions in the West and Atlantic Canada are so far seeing little change at the pumps.

Gas prices jump at Ontario, Quebec pumps

toronto.ctv.ca...

Gasoline prices at the pumps soared in parts of Ontario and Quebec early Tuesday, even as the price of crude oil was little changed. Motorists were paying 6.5 cents a litre more in southern and eastern Ontario, the website tomorrowsgaspriceotoday.com reported. A litre of regular gas in the Toronto area cost $1.396 early Tuesday, compared with 96.3 cents a year ago.

Gas price breaches 140 cents per litre - hitting 141.1

news.ca.msn.com...

Drivers saw another leap in gas prices on Wednesday with the average price in Toronto breaching the 140 cents per litre mark. After a record increase of 6.5 cents on Tuesday, a further 1.5 cents per litre was added on Wednesday, leaving the average price at 141.1.

So, what are the prices in your area?

US Average Gas Prices by State:

gasbuddy.com...

Canada Average Gas Prices By Province:

gasbuddy.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/54cf46e8ff60.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 11-5-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
yep the Harperites got what they voted for and your 100% right this will only get worst.

Funny how the price goes up even when the cost of a barrel of oil goes down.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's all £1.40+ a litre down where I live, and rising 1p a week basically.
edit on 11-5-2011 by TrueInstinct because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Yeah, it sucks for everyone. Americans drive more miles on average than anyone else however, which is why the frustration kicks in so quickly. That's also why our prices are not directly comparable to other nations. We buy in greater bulk.

As for oil dropping and gas still rising, that is a result of time to market. Oil might drop today, but the oil in the gas you are pumping was purchased weeks ago, so gas reflects oil prices with a lag.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
A horse and buggy is good transportation and much cheaper.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Its hovering between 137.9 and 140.0 all over the west coast of BC the prices are absurd. When I was 16 I worked at a gas station and the price if I can recall was about 66.9/L that was some 13yrs ago but really in 13 yrs we have doubled plus the price of the one commodity. To make it on the outwards of affordability, but still a neccessity to get bye. Garbage if you ask me absolute garbage.... And all be it oil prices have been dropping but not exstensively still in and around the $100 dollar a barrel mark. And with every bit of tension here and there, a big bank rate scare, an EQ here and there, the flooding everything seems to work together to keep the price going up and down. So I wouldn't expect relief at the pumps anytime soon.... Regardless of what Obama and his cronies are saying

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I live 20 minutes outside of the city and thank Jebus I'm moving there soon because these prices are becoming unmanageable for my budget. I just bought a bike as well.

I understand that the government requires money to function... but so do the citizens of the country. A more progressive tax scheme (in my opinion) should fluctuate with the market. Therefore, when fuel prices get too high, reduce the tax. It makes sense, because if people are spending too much on fuel, they don't have money to spend on other things that makes the economy work... let alone the necessities (food, shelter, energy). If they don't reduce fuel tax as a relief, and prices continue to surge, they'll be kicking themselves in the behind.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by brindle

If the mennonites can do it and still do it to this day then what are we doing wrong??

I have never had a car and never will because i am able to cycle almost anywhere i go.
Your car is a giant bank machine for the oil companies and I never bought into that train of thought.
Find alternatives and lets get rid of these jerks and take one back for the little guy instead of some corporation hellbent on taking every dollar they can from you.

Whats the difference between a gas user and a crackhead???
Nothing....you'll be back when you run out.

Sorry if my post offended anyone...I am a little passionette on this issue.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Here in Scotland just filled my car up at £1.41 a litre. There are nearly 4 litres in a U.S. Gallon (3.7854 to be exact) and at the current exchange rate that works out at $8.73 a Gallon. Soon I wont be able to afford to go to work.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

I don't know if Americans drive farther than Canadians... I haven't seen a statistic, but there's definitely more space in Canada and less people, which leads me to believe we would drive farther to work/school on average.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Great post! Yeah, I had watched CBC and they analyzed gas prices across Canada and Toronto has been hit pretty hard.

An previous executive of a petroleum company on CBC said that the gas companies are focusing on high margins (profits) at this time, which is not fair to the consumer. Never mind the low levels of fuel inventory (supply) for consumers now, I believe there is collusion (price fixing) happening across the board.

Just overnight the prices rose another 2 cents where I live. We are now up to $5.24. But we are no where near close to your $5.60. That is crazy. And you are right, this puts an already tighter strain on our personal budgets. We can't afford another hike in prices. It's like adding another tax on supplied resources.

Harper needs to step up and do something, or step down. OPEC is raping us right now.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by brindle

If the mennonites can do it and still do it to this day then what are we doing wrong??

I have never had a car and never will because i am able to cycle almost anywhere i go.
Your car is a giant bank machine for the oil companies and I never bought into that train of thought.
Find alternatives and lets get rid of these jerks and take one back for the little guy instead of some corporation hellbent on taking every dollar they can from you.

Whats the difference between a gas user and a crackhead???
Nothing....you'll be back when you run out.

Sorry if my post offended anyone...I am a little passionette on this issue.

You make a good point...for those that live in the City.

What about those that live outside of the City? A bike just won't do.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Read brindle's post.
Mennonites in the country are still using horse and buggy and aren't worried about gas prices.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Hell last time oil was at 150$ a barrel it was 1.40$/L...

Now it's 100$ a barrel and still 1.40$/L... so we're getting screwed... and royally.

link   
2 nights ago it was 1.30. then the next day it was 1.37...never seen 7 cents over night. i sh!t my pants.

link   

Originally posted by OrganicAnagram33
reply to post by Fiberx

I don't know if Americans drive farther than Canadians... I haven't seen a statistic, but there's definitely more space in Canada and less people, which leads me to believe we would drive farther to work/school on average.

I think you're right on that one. To go anywhere in Canada is a day trip at minimum.

Many of us live outside of the City and it's getting too expensive to drive in.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by delboy644
reply to post by jude11

Here in Scotland just filled my car up at £1.41 a litre. There are nearly 4 litres in a U.S. Gallon (3.7854 to be exact) and at the current exchange rate that works out at $8.73 a Gallon. Soon I wont be able to afford to go to work.
You dont need a car in Scotland.Scotland is small enough to ride a horse anywhere you need to go.You dont need a car.Toughen up a little bit.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by jude11

Read brindle's post.
Mennonites in the country are still using horse and buggy and aren't worried about gas prices.

While I appreciate the Mennonites, we are not all Mennonites.

Horse and Buggy is great. I can park it at City Hall when I protest. Probably get some sort of ticket tho.

It's a great life and I applaud them but the simple fact is that it's not the answer as it's an impossible ideal to attain.

Too bad tho.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle

Originally posted by delboy644
reply to post by jude11

You dont need a car in Scotland.Scotland is small enough to ride a horse anywhere you need to go.You dont need a car.Toughen up a little bit.

Nice to hear but a horse in the middle of Toronto isn't going to go down very well. Scotland may be small enough but Canada isn't.

Even in a small town horses are not allowed inside town limits.

Yes, we all have to start thinking differently, cutting back. Making one trip instead of 2 etc.

Thanks.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
American's just like to whine loud how hard done by they are.

They have no real clue how the rest of the world live.

They think they have a right to easy living, cheap oil, big wages blah blah.

They couldn't handle it in other parts of the world. they always run to get home because they would have to contribute and pay their taxes here.

edit on 11-5-2011 by zookey because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join