It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stargate Universe - Sad reports - Is Pirating the cause of lost ratings??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Sadly Stargate Universe is being reported as cancelled...

I downloaded the most recent episode today online. Sadly i beleive that is the problem with this series along with many others.

Although Pirate downloads may seem appealing, it creates a massive fanbase problem not only in the US but internationally.

As i live in Australia and the 10 network AU is providing SGU episodes, but sadly it is about 10 episodes behind.. if not more. I rely on onlone content to keep updated. This distortes ratings in a massive way and although networks can monitor seeders and leechers... the networks do not make money from online content.

Very sad!

I have always been a fan of the stargate franchise and the recent addition; SGU has been one of the best so far, although at times the episodes are lacking content and a forward pattern..

You would think the writers would know by now how to please SG fans.....

I truly beleive that online pirates are the cause on SGU failure. Although the writers need to open their mind and move forward faster and not worry so much about particular character plots...yawns

Get on with the plot!! I mean SHT the destiny crew are billions of light years from Earth yet they come up with time travel story lines and obscure gray refs...

Sad... Sad...Sad!!

Most recent ep
boring as per the last 20 eps... FYI: Elliah get a new frickin shirt!!!!!!!!!

Stargate Universe ( SyFI )
edit on 10-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
it was a bad show anyways. pirating has allowed me to see tons of shows i wouldn't otherwise have given a chance. if i like something, i pay for it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Gaiman.... knows what up.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
No, it was a good show.

And no the pirating did NOT affect it.

Let me ask you, what enables the studios to determine a viewer base?

Do they knock on your door and ask? Do you wait for your call?

No, they offer a set amount of devices or use some opt in setup that caters to this specific crowd only. Do you honestly think people who download a show are affecting these statistics?

It's like giving 100 people a groovy fireworks lollypop, then telling them to head to a bunch of fireworks shows... if one firework show gets 20% the viewers and the other gets 80% the viewer, nothing is said towards the people who just rocked up - or take away from those who didn't show.

All you get is the snobs given the lollypops and all they care about is the lollypop.

SGU was cancelled AFTER Season 2 was complete. The cast had no idea, so it was not a scripting issue. It was scy-fy being fat cheesy wankers.

Ratings didn't kill it. Not in reality, because what has kept in focus these long lost years? Reality, Wrestling, Cooking and Dancing.

There are just more retards who don't have the brain stem to understand a decent sci-fi and the gaw and wow of reality satiates them. And who do you know that has a ratings influence?

If you answer "no one that I know, and no one like me!" then you get it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by donkeystyle

It was onr of the best SG franchises so far. In the beginning it was the most creative and far reaching but the wroters lost track and started focusing on individuals and not rhe plot... it became a soapie!!

It has so much potential but it was wasted!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Since I'm quite far from being rich, without this alternative, I would simply watch TV or borrow a movie from someone. The only thing that I chose to do is to not redistribute copyrighted contents or keep it too long.

If you have the money, at least support the artists you care for.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

It did affect it!

Ratings dropped way to much!

I remember back to Lost, the producers realised what was happening and fast-tracked it to be upto date with many other world wide syndications.

Yet the Universe didnt seem to care and let the series fall way to far behind in many other countries. The fans in general at smart and know how to source the episides online.

IN Australia we are upto S02E05!!

Yet onlinbe i am upto date with S02E22???

The networks and procution company are making nothing off me dowloading these episodes. The ratings are dropping relative to them because i have already seen the episodes they are airing on live TV.....

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

You dont have to be rich to download online content.....

I pay $60 per month and have 200GB of ADSL2+ downloads.... 20mb/s
where are you???

You dont have to be rich to download online content....
edit on 10-5-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I do not believe That pirating these Episodes is having any sort of effect on ratings, the other day i was visited by "Nielsen" one of the biggest international rating company for the entertainment industry, the guy told me that this is how the majority of ratings are submitted... now think about this, of course i vote stargate, but what age group do you think these guys are reaching? and what age groups most like stargate. one way or another, a TV show receives most of its budget from the network it is aired on, so what? the biggest influence must be done through companies that run the surveys, and let me ask anybody. "have any of you filled out a TV survey"?
- Guys, i have been a firm follower of josephmallozzi.wordpress.com... and he has talked about the many surprises about stargate... Hold fast Lads, stargate will return! i can feel the pressure build up already, it's only a matter of time before the series re-ignites.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by badw0lf

It did affect it!

Ratings dropped way to much!

I remember back to Lost, the producers realised what was happening and fast-tracked it to be upto date with many other world wide syndications.

Yet the Universe didnt seem to care and let the series fall way to far behind in many other countries. The fans in general at smart and know how to source the episides online.

IN Australia we are upto S02E05!!

Yet onlinbe i am upto date with S02E22???

The networks and procution company are making nothing off me dowloading these episodes. The ratings are dropping relative to them because i have already seen the episodes they are airing on live TV.....

Nah it did NOT affect it.

S02E22?? These 2 new episodes are good, but it was cancelled on 20. I saw it today.

Rating dropped because of the small minded folk given these options, not because people downloaded it - they would NOT affect it. How?

Do you think more people would have watch and kept watching had there been no internet??????

Less I say - it was cancelled because the weak minded populace who'd rather watch sports....

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vio1ion

Since I'm quite far from being rich, without this alternative, I would simply watch TV or borrow a movie from someone. The only thing that I chose to do is to not redistribute copyrighted contents or keep it too long.

If you have the money, at least support the artists you care for.

That I did. No more dvd sets for me, they are not helping anything.

If the machines created to manufacture this are not willing to stand by it, I'm not buying any more.

blah

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
They canceled it because the show sucked! Nothing like SG1 or Star Gate Atlantis it just sucked sucked sucked and sucked some more.

..sucked

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MachiventaMelchizedek

Nah!!

No way!

The show had so much more potential than SG-1 or Atlantis but for some reason the writers focused on character issues instead of the crew's exploration and adventure.

It became to melodramatic in many ways and swayed from sci-fi to drama

Seriously the show had so much more potential than SG-1 which was focused on the Milky Way. Then Atlantis which was focused on the Pegasus Galaxy. FYI: I loved atlantis!

This was a great start and i still love the pilot(S01 E01-02) the whole 9th chevron premise was great and the distance the travelled. It just became to focused on character plots instead of the mission.

I got so sick of Elliah wearing that damn red shirt every week!!

Get some new clothes man!!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Because if people download it online it had a negative affect on the networks that try to promote it. They dont have the ratings to match advertising needs.

Why would i watch it on TV wheh i can watch it online with no adds???

If the network loses viewers they lose audience that can view advertising which makes the show not cost effective....

It's all about profit...

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yep OP, Its a sad thing. I've always followed Stargate since the original movie. One thing I agree with is to stop pirating just put it on TV globally at the same time. In OZ now we have plenty of free to air channel space but OZ appears to wait for months or sometimes longer so that the price they pay is so much cheaper to buy after a while. That invites pirating rather than watching TV.

I realize that Oz is not the reason its been dropped Oh no - its the crappy scripting that followed a good start and huge potential all lost by cheep writers. That's not the writers fault its SyFy's they employ writers that simply can't satisfy our evolved viewing. Watchers of Stargate are not easily satisfied, we / I expect better.

MJ2

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

The problem with SGU in Au is that it's behind by about 20 eps....

The producers and networks promoting Lost realised that a couple of years ago and moved it up so it was only 1 week behind. Ch 10 negelected SGU and started airing it on Digital 11 and now it is waaay too far behind.

I saw the adds for it this week and i saw those episodes late last year

**Spolier Alert**

It's very sad. Although i hope there is still a couple of eps to go, the latest ep saw everyone but Eliah go into cryo-sleep for 3 years.

So i hope to see an ending that doesnt leave us hanging although at this point it is hard to imagine.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
reply to post by majestictwo

The problem with SGU in Au is that it's behind by about 20 eps....

The producers and networks promoting Lost realised that a couple of years ago and moved it up so it was only 1 week behind. Ch 10 negelected SGU and started airing it on Digital 11 and now it is waaay too far behind.

I saw the adds for it this week and i saw those episodes late last year

**Spolier Alert**

It's very sad. Although i hope there is still a couple of eps to go, the latest ep saw everyone but Eliah go into cryo-sleep for 3 years.

So i hope to see an ending that doesnt leave us hanging although at this point it is hard to imagine.

I couldn't agree more I think thats what I said. And to boot don't bank on your last line as I said the script writers have a pretty weak finish. And to think "Warehouse 13" has been given the green light for more rubbish, phew

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
2 shows canned SGU & Caprica - not happy Jan.

What I can't understand is the SG franchise has money to burn, surely another network could have picked it up.??

Who knows, a 3 year break may be what it needs (SGU) or Stargate Jersey Shore (SJS)may work

Fist pumps as they go through the gate..

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
They should have at least given it a third season, to be fair it did start slow and was a huge change from the other SG titles but i loved it! It was what SG needed it had the seriousness thrown it with still some comedy, Syfy are idiots and i hope they realise that they shelved a great show, if they want to watch these new series which wont make it any further than SG did let them go ahead.

I loved the finale i really do think they deserved a third season if not a final movie (which has been shelved for good aswell by the sound of it)

Syfy should have a international TV system online so we all can watch the new episodes as they air, Id rather stream or download the new episodes rather than wait a couple extra weeks for it to be on TV with ads etc,
edit on 13-5-2011 by Sparta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I totaly love Stargate.
but Stargate Universe is rubish.
its just boring.
it can not comper to the first Stargate.

<<   2 >>

join