It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts: proposed "arsenal" law"

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
....people seriously own more than 10 guns? I live in canada and haven't even seen a gun aside from police officers and military...

I think the law should be "if you own more than 10 guns, get rid of most of them"

People are seriously afraid of inanimate objects?

I think the law should be if you freak out over the mere thought of someone owning guns, you belong in a mental institution.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ViperChili

People fear what they don't understand. It is human nature.

Now, not learning to overcome that fear by gaining knowledge is ignorant.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
reply to post by ViperChili

People fear what they don't understand. It is human nature.

Now, not learning to overcome that fear by gaining knowledge is ignorant.

True, but then why do people NOT fear someone coming into their home and raping and killing their wife and kids and take steps to defend against it?

People have been conditioned to believe guns are evil and only evil or crazy people want to have them. But then they think it's ok that the government has them, the biggest perpetrator of violence.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Primordial

Because they,as a whole, were taught/conditioned that the person had a bad life, just needs to be reasoned with, shown love or it's societies fault. Thus, personally dealing with the issue, like defending yourself, has been replaced with retreating or being a victim and then blaming society again.

And the fairy tale that the cops will be there in the nick of time to save them.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

reply to post by Primordial

Because they,as a whole, were taught/conditioned that the person had a bad life, just needs to be reasoned with, shown love or it's societies fault. Thus, personally dealing with the issue, like defending yourself, has been replaced with retreating or being a victim and then blaming society again.

And the fairy tale that the cops will be there in the nick of time to save them.

Ahh, yeah the 'it's societies fault' excuse. Forgot about that one.

Funny, I grew up poor in the city (Brooklyn). So did millions and millions of others who never robbed, raped, or killed anyone. We must be special.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn
....people seriously own more than 10 guns? I live in canada and haven't even seen a gun aside from police officers and military...

I think the law should be "if you own more than 10 guns, get rid of most of them"

That is just retarded.. Guns to a lot of people are like shoes to a woman. Or like people who collect knives. Plus they are a good investment. Guns are always worth money if you need it for bills or emergencies.

Deebo
edit on 9-5-2011 by Deebo because: add

This woman collects guns not shoes.
Guns are a great investment. Especially "Evil Black Guns" and class III's. As a serious collector and a law abiding gun collector, I have already implemented "voluntarily" the suggested precaution the OP's article is discussing. Why... because my gun's are a big investment and I want them protected from theft. They are also insured. It would be a seriously unwise decision to steal from my home. Eveyone I know takes precautions securing their firarms. The only gun that is not locked up tight is the one on my hip (with one in the pipe).

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I didn't realize this thread would be so controversial but let me say
if not for our right to keep and bare arms life would would not be so pleasant here...
allow me to share a few stories that were over looked from the mainstream media

Tulsa World, Tulsa, OK, 01/26/03
State: OK
American Rifleman Issue: 4/1/2003
A "good Samaritan" came to the rescue of a woman who was the apparent victim of a sexual assault in downtown Tulsa, Okla. The man was surveying possible construction sites in the area when he saw two partially disrobed people struggling in an alleyway. When the woman screamed for help, the man ran to assist her. The suspect then jumped into his vehicle, a Ford Taurus, and tried to hit his victim with the car. The Samaritan responded by drawing a .40-cal. handgun and firing several shots at the woman's assailant, who was killed. Sergeant Mike Huff said the woman tried to get a ride home from her attacker, when the man pulled into the alley and attempted to assault her. Referring to the woman's rescuer, Huff said, "It appears that this man really interrupted a bad situation."

The Charlotte Observer, Charlotte, NC, 11/18/98
State: NC
American Rifleman Issue: 3/1/1999
A number of unsolved burglaries and a subsequent string of sexual assaults near the University of North Carolina's Charlotte campus had female residents there fearing for their safety. It was that heightened sense of awareness, and an armed citizen, that helped prevent yet another attack. Twenty-six-year-old Adrian Rodricka Cathey entered a woman's apartment early one morning and assaulted her with a knife. This time, however, the intended victim fought back, retrieving a firearm and shooting her assailant. Cathey, who had a record of arrests on charges of rape and attempted murder, was later found dead in a parking lot.

The Herald, Everett, WA, 12/19/91
State: WA
American Rifleman Issue: 3/1/1992
After their son received several death threats, an Everett, Wash., couple arranged for an armed neighbor to be at their home when the boy arrived home from school. When the man--a suspect in several sexual assaults on children--broke into the home, the neighbor struggled with and shot him. The intruder fled, but was later apprehended by police.

The Virginian-Pilot, Norfolk, VA, 4/12/91
State: VA
American Rifleman Issue: 7/1/1991
Sonya Miller of Nags Head, N.C., had wanted a handgun for protection, and her father gave her one. Fifteen minutes later, Miller used the revolver to scare away a man who threatened to kill her. Miller was getting out of her car when the man pointed a pistol at her. When she pulled her own gun, he dropped his and fled. Police later arrested a man who is also suspected in several sexual assaults.

The Arizona Republic, Phoenix, AZ, 12/9/89
State: AZ
American Rifleman Issue: 2/1/1990
An intruder who broke into Jordon Wisner's Phoenix, Ariz., home made a costly mistake when, after ransacking her dresser, he tapped the sleeping homeowner on the shoulder. Wisner responded by pulling a handgun from under a pillow and shooting the man. A struggle ensued, and the woman shot her assailant again. Police were notified when the suspect sought medical treatment, and they expected to charge him with burglary and attempted sexual assault upon his release from the hospital.

The Express-News, San Antonio, TX, 3/27/88
State: TX
American Rifleman Issue: 6/1/1988
When Jennie Crowder of San Antonio, Tex., woke to find an intruder "doing something with her bra" in her closet, the 44-year-old NRA Life Member got her handgun from a nightstand, turned on the lights and ordered the man into the living room while she phoned police. A suspect charged with burglary of a habitation with intent to commit sexual assault was found to have Crowder's money and diamond rings in a trouser pocket.

time and time again there responsible citizens have proven themselves, almost daily, defending themselves and their loved ones... Proof our system works.... what we lack from our law makers is the balls to enforce the laws we already have firmly in place...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It's a good thing we have a constitution to protect our rights.... oh ya, we.. don't... follow it any more.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Be careful here , just look at what happened in my country Canada . the only ones really left with guns are the criminals . And just for a kicker , if you are unfortunate to be a victim of a home invasion and you even think to point a gun at the criminal , you the victim will be in jail far longer than the invader!!! That is what gun control is all about , so resist all efforts of the state to impose this type of control istead as for "crime control ".

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Let me reply for he anti's by stating "Yeah, and your sources are from the American Rifleman. Probably just some knuckle dragging savage like you"..

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Let me reply for he anti's by stating "Yeah, and your sources are from the American Rifleman. Probably just some knuckle dragging savage like you"..

Let me reply by saying...
Clears throat...
Me heap big scary Red Man...
with out our guns we'd be forced to return to scalping bad men....

ya know skinning someone alive has become a lost art....
maybe this knuckle draggier should see what I can do about reviving that????

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

OK.

1. stupid Idea
2. A binding idea
and 3. just another way of control idea

These laws they are passing is nothing other than bull crap. The founding Fathers did a great job getting the constitution in order, let's just leave it at that. No need to call the sheriff and say "I have a gun and it's locked up."

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Why does someone need "help" from the government to keep their guns safe? What's next... someone needing "help" from the government on putting their car in the garage, just in case someone steals the car and goes on a drunk driving rampage?

We have that. It's called insurance.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I am an American, I served 4 years in the Marine Corps in the Infantry. I served 2 tours in Iraq, Fallujah and Ramadi.

I own 8 guns. 5 Assault rifles, 1 bolt action rifle, and 2 pistols. They are all secure at all times!

If the police want an alarm system on them I will show them my purple hearts, combat action ribbon, the cammies i was wearing when injured that I have framed on the wall with the letter I recieved from the commanding General of our unit, then I will point to the American Flag I raise and lower every day.

Weapons secured. Second Amendment intact........ for now......

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Ok I live in rural Canada and most of my neighbours have more then 10 guns, So you must live in a city... Toronto I'd guess?

Also just because your neigbours don't flash them in your face does not mean they don't have them.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This is disturbing.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
There are all sorts of reasons to own multiple firearms... most of them fairly innocent or benign.

- Collectors
- Restorers / gunsmiths
- Family heirlooms
- Or simply a toolbox... a different firearm for a different task. Each with it's own specific uses. You can't very well turn a screw with a saw, hammer a nail with a wrench, or cut wood with a socket set. Well, you might be able to do these things, but not very well, and not very safely.

Once you start labeling an arbitrary number of firearms an 'arsenal' you start to whip up a firestorm of negative connotations, immediately painting a stable, law-abiding citizen as some sort of 'kook'... someone to be feared and mistrusted.

How would you feel if you learned that your neighbor, in the privacy of his own home, suddenly was reported as having an 'arsenal?' You'd look at that neighbor differently, wouldn't you? You'd begin to scrutinize their behaviors more closely. You'd be more apt to distrust them. This could be the greatest neighbor in the history of the neighborhood, but human nature is going to make you secretly fear that neighbor. That is one of the reasons why we have certain rights to privacy... to protect against people making a rushed or ill-informed judgement upon them.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by manturnedintoagirl
This is disturbing.

Yes, it is disturbing that the Govt thinks that they can just run buck wild in grabs for control.

I agree.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

What a disgusting sentiment.

For some reason, I am not surprised that someone with the mentality that would find your 'joke' funny would be someone against gun control.

Personally, I am afraid for the people that live around you.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs

Originally posted by DaddyBare

What a disgusting sentiment.

For some reason, I am not surprised that someone with the mentality that would find your 'joke' funny would be someone against gun control.

Personally, I am afraid for the people that live around you.

I personally think it was HILARIOUS.

You obviously lost the whole point he was making.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join