It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massachusetts: proposed "arsenal" law"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Full Story here

Lavallee, Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone and Rep. Kevin Murphy helped city officials craft a home rule petition seeking the power to require owners of 10 or more firearms to notify police of the weapons' location within 24 hours of possessing them. The proposed law would also require owners of more than 10 firearms to secure them in a locked safe or vault and install an alarm system with central monitoring that would notify police when the alarm is activated.

So lets look at both sides...
in attempted break in the police would be notified instantly and alerted to Armed intruders.
that's a plus...

but at the same time we all know what slow response times police officers have...
alarm systems or not... a good smash and grab crew will be in and out in under 3 minutes!

Plus they are not saying who foots the bill for this fancy alarm reporting system??? the gun owner or the tax payer???

So is there an alternative?

The group (The Gun Owners' Action League ) has sponsored legislation known as the "Civil Rights and Public Safety Act," which would create stiffer penalties for prohibited persons who possess firearms and create laws concerning breaking and entering with the intent to steal a firearm. The legislation would also create a unit within the State Police, which would be called the Criminal Firearms and Trafficking Division, that would help the state attorney general's office investigate and prosecute crimes involving the unlawful use of firearms.

Well that seems reasonable to me... and this proposed new unit would be investigating all gun thefts and not just those from home owners who happen to have ten or more weapons...

Once again this brings up the age old question... do we really new gun laws.... or would we be better off enforcing the laws we already have?
edit on 9-5-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
....people seriously own more than 10 guns? I live in canada and haven't even seen a gun aside from police officers and military...

I think the law should be "if you own more than 10 guns, get rid of most of them"

+3 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Really... you dont see how easy it is to go over this limit...

There are 6 people in my family my house...
My wife owns a small pistol she keeps in her nightstand (Just in-case) and a very nice 20 Ga shotgun she takes when we go duck hunting.

My oldest boy has his deer rifle a shotgun plus two .22's one a gift from his grandfather.
My daughter owns several .22's plus her PPK purse gun
My youngest son own one .22 plus a small .410 shotgun he likes to hunt squirrels and rabbits with.

that's ten right there and I haven't touched on my personal firearms....
more then ten under one roof, most of these guns I bought under my name...

+13 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
That's insane.

Meanwhile....ATF is letting truckloads of guns go to Mexico so they can "track" them

Gun control isn't about guns...It's about control

+6 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well thankfully here in the US it is our right to own as many firearms as we please. As per our constitution 2nd amendment you have the right to bear arms...in the plural and no where in there does it say you can bear arms if you have permits or register them or any limitations in fact it doesn't even say those with criminal records can't own them. So in my opinion this new law breeches the rights of all US citizens. Criminals will always have guns laws or no laws but for law abiding people it's not lookin so good. If you live in Mass. I guess you better stock up and get grandfathered in!

+9 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
How about: If the alarm goes off, instead of the police being called, the Coroner is notified, because someone is breaking into the home of a person who owns an arsenal.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Really... you dont see how easy it is to go over this limit...

There are 6 people in my family my house...
My wife owns a small pistol she keeps in her nightstand (Just in-case) and a very nice 20 Ga shotgun she takes when we go duck hunting.

My oldest boy has his deer rifle a shotgun plus two .22's one a gift from his grandfather.
My daughter owns several .22's plus her PPK purse gun
My youngest son own one .22 plus a small .410 shotgun he likes to hunt squirrels and rabbits with.

that's ten right there and I haven't touched on my personal firearms....
more then ten under one roof, most of these guns I bought under my name...

Your OP stated "owners" of more than 10, not households...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

lol where do you live so i can stay far far away. im a musician and you own more guns than I do instruments. you seems like a family that hunts so I understand owning some guns, but seriously now... how many rabbits do you need to kill....

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

but as I said... I bought most of them...
true I gave them to family members but do you really believe that would exempt me from this law if it went federal?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
Well thankfully here in the US it is our right to own as many firearms as we please. As per our constitution 2nd amendment you have the right to bear arms...in the plural and no where in there does it say you can bear arms if you have permits or register them or any limitations in fact it doesn't even say those with criminal records can't own them. So in my opinion this new law breeches the rights of all US citizens. Criminals will always have guns laws or no laws but for law abiding people it's not lookin so good. If you live in Mass. I guess you better stock up and get grandfathered in!

just because you have the right to do something, doesn't make it the right thing to do. your constitution was written on hemp paper, why cant you grow hemp? hm? you can have AS MANY GUNS AS YOU WANT. but don't grow this plant, its bad for you.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
i would rather see the authority
lose their right to arm

+2 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OUNjahhryn

I think the law should be "if you own more than 10 guns, get rid of most of them"

Which is why you live in Canada. In America we believe in inalienable, natural rights. The second amendment is a wonderful thing and I will own as many guns as I want to. I would expect nothing less from a big government, progressive utopia like Massachusetts.

My question is... who decides what "most of them" is? How many is most of them? Which ones can I keep? The only people effected by gun laws are law abiding citizens. Criminals break laws (hence the term criminal).

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

lol where do you live so i can stay far far away. im a musician and you own more guns than I do instruments. you seems like a family that hunts so I understand owning some guns, but seriously now... how many rabbits do you need to kill....

Must not be a good musician then
Most of the friends I have in the music business own dozens of instruments, I know one who's filled a house with every kind of music instrument he can lays his hands on...

Just because you don't understand a thing or concept doesn't make it bad...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by backinblack

but as I said... I bought most of them...
true I gave them to family members but do you really believe that would exempt me from this law if it went federal?

This would never go Federal, and if it did then we will witness many states using nullification to tell the federal government to go screw themselves, just like Montana did last year.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

Which is why you live in Canada. In America we believe in inalienable, natural rights. The second amendment is a wonderful thing and I will own as many guns as I want to. I would expect nothing less from a big government, progressive utopia like Massachusetts.

My question is... who decides what "most of them" is? How many is most of them? Which ones can I keep? The only people effected by gun laws are law abiding citizens. Criminals break laws (hence the term criminal).

lol i live in Canada because I was born here. If i was born in the states I might have a different view, but bad education systems do that to people...

I don't know how a gun is a "natural right" i didn't know guns grew on trees.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

And the reason it's a right is because those same hemp growing forefathers had the presents of mind to think about how it goes when the people have no way to stand up to their government when it takes advantage of the people...something we I guess have forgotten. Also to be clear hemp and as a whole cannabis is illegal because of money, ridding the country of blacks and hispanics, and control of the population through imprisonment. I am and have never been for this either it's pretty stupid if you ask me. I feel as though the only law's should protect ones person and property...a crime against yourself only hurts yourself!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Must not be a good musician then
Most of the friends I have in the music business own dozens of instruments, I know one who's filled a house with every kind of music instrument he can lays his hands on...

Just because you don't understand a thing or concept doesn't make it bad...

lol yeah so Picasso was a good painter because he owned a lot of brushes?
Michael Jackson was a good dancer because he owned a lot of shoes?

Your comment is ridiculous.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD

And the reason it's a right is because those same hemp growing forefathers had the presents of mind to think about how it goes when the people have no way to stand up to their government when it takes advantage of the people...something we I guess have forgotten. Also to be clear hemp and as a whole cannabis is illegal because of money, ridding the country of blacks and hispanics, and control of the population through imprisonment. I am and have never been for this either it's pretty stupid if you ask me. I feel as though the only law's should protect ones person and property...a crime against yourself only hurts yourself!

im with you on the weed laws being stupid, I just dont see how owning guns is safer than weed. some people say "just cause you have a gun dosent mean your going to use it" true. but if you do use it, it has 1 purpose. to destroy.

+3 more 
posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
This is a violation of the constitution..Come to arizona and see what firearm laws should look like.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

lol yeah so Picasso was a good painter because he owned a lot of brushes?
Michael Jackson was a good dancer because he owned a lot of shoes?

Your comment is ridiculous.

As is yours sir...

different guns different purpose...
just like the sounds a piano and guitar and drums make...

You didnt think all we Americans hunted with machine guns did ya?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join