It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The smell of fast food - by accident or deliberate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FleetAdmiral
For me it happens with subway bread. I now can only go to walmart after subway hours to get my Lego addiction under control

Where there is a sub there is a way.

And with this way, you will learn to leggo.

frack now I want hungry jacks...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I can't stand the smell of fast food. It smells sickly. I think that it probably smells much better to those who are addicted to it. I much prefer the smell of fresh, whole foods. That's what makes my mouth water... and my brain & body work at their optimum. The dumbing down of the world starts with your diet. Big Pharma's monopoly on your healthcare begins with your diet.

People appear more concerned about what what petrol (gas) they put in their car, what tunes they put on their iPod than what food they put into their bodies.

IRM

But what does lettuce smell like?

Or a raw potato?

I can't get that same satisfaction from ogling an onion... but the smell of one sauteing... Oh man, what next to add to this basic ingredient that oozes yummy in a bit of oil and low heat?

I don't really like raw pumpkin either, but baked - hell that stuff is as gold as it's colour, you can boil it, steam it... always sweet ...

If I can't smell it, I can't eat it... and burning things makes them smell nice!!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by mushrooms
Have you never cooked food in your own home? All food lets off an aroma when its heated up ;p

Yes but you take that food home, leave it in the fridge, then heat it up - slammo! no funky addicting stench!

I know they float cinnamon scent in bakeries in the morning, I mean fresh bread, so fresh... hmmm mouth watering, go well with my coffee that bagel...

and it's just a spray on appetite!

They definitely entice people in with scents... without a doubt.

chicken never smells that god damned good in my house, bloody kfc...

Yeah but their cooking large quantities at a time, so obviously the smell is going to be more intense.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Have you never cooked food in your own home? All food lets off an aroma when its heated up ;p

Yes but you take that food home, leave it in the fridge, then heat it up - slammo! no funky addicting stench!

I know they float cinnamon scent in bakeries in the morning, I mean fresh bread, so fresh... hmmm mouth watering, go well with my coffee that bagel...

Yeah but their cooking large quantities at a time, so obviously the smell is going to be more intense.

I smell more from my neighbours as they go for that weird middle east stuff, on any given evening ! And they don't want dudes knocking ion the door asking for a bowl!

While it may not be the case, and I may be wrong, I certainly believe that fast food joints make their food smell better with scents. Think about it, why the heck wouldnt they!

I mean, they're not the ones paying your medical bills!!

Not saying I'm right...

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Everything in a fast food restaurant is meant to trigger a subconcious response.
Nearly all fast food restaurants are predominately red (the big ones at least) which believe it or not actually makes you hungry, green and blue do the opposite.

The way the photos of the food are taken and presented behind the register actually makes you want to order more than you would if reading from a normal menu.

Most big companies TV and print advertising is is primarily subliminal, not like the old days where they would flash one frame or repeat their name in a jingle now its much more subtle and insidious but equally if not more effective.

And yes alot of bigger chains will spray an odor into the air which is a condensed form of the scent of their cooked food.

Ive spent the past 11 years working as a sales, marketing and PR consultant and you wouldnt believe half the sh!t big business does to feck with our minds and manipulate/motivate us to do things or buy their products.

Even when you know whats going on its very hard to resist

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I smell more from my neighbours as they go for that weird middle east stuff, on any given evening ! And they don't want dudes knocking ion the door asking for a bowl!

While it may not be the case, and I may be wrong, I certainly believe that fast food joints make their food smell better with scents. Think about it, why the heck wouldnt they!

Not saying I'm right...

Are you saying their spraying their food with something?

I think It's just that their food tastes nice and taste and smell are closely linked.

Basically your taste buds can only taste 5 things, sweetness, bitterness, sourness, saltiness, and savoriness. This is then combined with your sense of smell to create flavor.

So if their food tastes nice its going to smell nice as well and it's obvious it tastes nice or they wouldn't be so successful ;p

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by InfaRedMan

2 words
Jim Fixx!!
Ran every day of his life ran marathons heart like a horse healthy as all get out.
Then just dropped dead.
Hearrt attack i think, can't recall.
Either way all of that work, for what?

I think you will discover that it had nothing to do with diet ... so your point isn't valid.

IRM

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Not saying I'm right...

Exactly why wouldn't you exploit smell its more powerful than visual ads. Just imagine when smellivistion TV arrives. I can see it now a little box pops up and asks if you want smellivison turned on and when you answer yes there will be a big discallamer that says they are not responsible for user actions - Oh I can see it now. More smells than we can poke a stick at.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Not saying I'm right...

Are you saying their spraying their food with something?

I think It's just that their food tastes nice and taste and smell are closely linked.

Basically your taste buds can only taste 5 things, sweetness, bitterness, sourness, saltiness, and savoriness. This is then combined with your sense of smell to create flavor.

So if their food tastes nice its going to smell nice as well and it's obvious it tastes nice or they wouldn't be so successful ;p

Ywp!!

Yep!!

edit on 10/5/2011 by badw0lf because: ughhhhhh

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
reply to post by badw0lf

Not saying I'm right...

Exactly why wouldn't you exploit smell its more powerful than visual ads. Just imagine when smellivistion TV arrives. I can see it now a little box pops up and asks if you want smellivison turned on and when you answer yes there will be a big discallamer that says they are not responsible for user actions - Oh I can see it now. More smells than we can poke a stick at.

I don't deny hence my post?

I agree.

??????

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
any type of resturante gives off the smell of cooking food when they are open. i work on a island where there is tons of seasonal resturantes from 5 star to burger and fries joints. they smell of all the delicious foods is great. its called instinct you smell or taste food and you get hungry. no devious plot there.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Upthepunx
any type of resturante gives off the smell of cooking food when they are open. i work on a island where there is tons of seasonal resturantes from 5 star to burger and fries joints. they smell of all the delicious foods is great. its called instinct you smell or taste food and you get hungry. no devious plot there.

No, theres not supposed to be a plot - we just think its deliberate that there is so much smell released through these exhausts. If you read through there are those that think the smell is manufactured.
Thats it - don't matter just chit chat

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
reply to post by majestictwo

It's about as deliberate as those cinemas pumping that tempting delicious popcorn freshness into the lobbies and theaters...

I fall for that every time!

Haha me too! I never want to get popcorn because it's so greasy and yummy but my stomach later one doesn't like it I know this will happen and yet that smell gets me every time! It's the butter!

OP I know what you mean, Wendy's does that to me and Burger King!

It's smell advertising and its more tempting than visual! lol
You can see the burger on the tv but you smell and oh wow it's so different then!

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Um, any food you cook will have a smell. If you can't stop yourself that's your fault lol.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Avyuir

Um, any food you cook will have a smell. If you can't stop yourself that's your fault lol.

I guess so, looks like some of us have more will power than others.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Then the hunger sets in and you just have to get a small fries to go. Just one small pack of fries you say to yourself. Only to find yourself eating much more!!

Hmmm...
Instead of asking society to protect you from yourself, why not try practicing a little willpower instead?

This is what's wrong with the world - people need to take more personal responsibility.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy

Then the hunger sets in and you just have to get a small fries to go. Just one small pack of fries you say to yourself. Only to find yourself eating much more!!

Hmmm...
Instead of asking society to protect you from yourself, why not try practicing a little willpower instead?

This is what's wrong with the world - people need to take more personal responsibility.

In answer to your question, your assumption that "Yourself" means "I" is incorrect its a generic you but not all of you. I do not have this problem because I have will power, nevertheless the temptation is there for most of us. No one is asking society to protect anyone its a simple question and discussion.

Hummm...
thanks for your input

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

No one is asking society to protect anyone its a simple question and discussion.

No offense, just stating my opinion.

I can't add flowers and rainbows to all my posts, else I'd have to change my SN to "Derek Brightly"

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join