It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The smell of fast food - by accident or deliberate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
How many times have you been driving or walking for that matter and smelt those fries, those burgers and chickens sizzling away. Then the hunger sets in and you just have to get a small fries to go. Just one small pack of fries you say to yourself. Only to find yourself eating much more!!

I was wondering if that smell could be stopped or should be stopped. Its smell advertising and actually its a powerful advertising byproduct more powerful than a visual advertising. Test yourself you can drive past a burger sign but its hard to ignore those fries cooking away - it's like sizzling bacon really.

Not far from here one store bellows smoke from the exhaust vent that you can smell 500m away and further if the wind is right.

The fast food people wouldn't like it I guess but then I don't like cigarette smoke. Now the smoke and fumes from those exhausts probably doesn't do much harm directly or do they --- Ummm

The smell of fast food accident or deliberate - just wondering

Your thoughts

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by majestictwo

It's about as deliberate as those cinemas pumping that tempting delicious popcorn freshness into the lobbies and theaters...

I fall for that every time!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I will always love my McDonalds.

I hope to die in one someday. If I could choose a way to go out, that would surely be it.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Have you never cooked food in your own home? All food lets off an aroma when its heated up ;p

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
It's like in our houses, when we cook something in our kitchen, we put the exhaust on to let all the smell out rather than linger in the house, and then when we walk outside our house we can smell exactly what's been cooking ...

Same is the theory with fast foods etc.

However, about being caught up in buying fries and more just by the smell of it! That's up to each individual's own strength ... I drive past many places, yes I do sometimes end up buying food coz of the smell, but mostly I drive or walk past these places without having to or wanting to buy something ...

You can't stop exhaust fumes coming out of the fast food kitchen!

Cigarette smoke and car smoke is totally different and more harmful than the fumes that come out of a kitchen!!!

edit on 9/5/11 by faryjay because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
For me it happens with subway bread. I now can only go to walmart after subway hours to get my Lego addiction under control

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I can't stand the smell of fast food. It smells sickly. I think that it probably smells much better to those who are addicted to it. I much prefer the smell of fresh, whole foods. That's what makes my mouth water... and my brain & body work at their optimum. The dumbing down of the world starts with your diet. Big Pharma's monopoly on your healthcare begins with your diet.

People appear more concerned about what what petrol (gas) they put in their car, what tunes they put on their iPod than what food they put into their bodies.

IRM

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Noticed something similar the other day. My wife and I went into Kroger to buy stuff for the evening meal, and there was the awesome scent of tortilla shells in the air. It was awesome, and instantly tirggered a growling stomach. A day later, same thing happened, so THAT night we looked at one another and simply muttered "Tacos!"

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Guys, I'm not sure how serious this artical is but I figure it must be right else you know who would have pulled it by now.

MCDONALDS SUED OVER FAT CONTENT IN AIR

Yes I know this is instore not outside and its a bit old now.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadys321

I hope to die in one someday. If I could choose a way to go out, that would surely be it.

Just waltz into one in the ghetto one night.. Seems they are always having brawls lately.

Deebo

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

Just waltz into one in the ghetto one night.. Seems they are always having brawls lately.

Deebo

Your reply intrigues me & makes me wonder at the same time.
If you're implying something, I know how bad that kind of food is for me. I realize it literally kills you among a whole host of other problems. The simple fact is I would eat it everyday, for every meal if my financial situation allowed, Heh. I haven't been able to gain a single pound past 140 for the past 7 years so weight is of no concern (& obliviously health).

There are too many other things in this world that could kill any day at anytime. I stopped caring about most. This is one of those.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Shadys321 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-5-2011 by Shadys321 because: spell-check.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mushrooms

I think maybe the OP just has never taken the time out to step outside of the house 5 -6ish in the pm.
That's how it is in my neighborhood, one of us or the other has some good stuff cooking.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
MCDONALDS SUED OVER FAT CONTENT IN AIR

Come on, as if. Do you really believe she got fat from the air? lol...

You can't blame mcdonalds or any other fast food restaurant if you end up overweight, the fact is you have your own free will, you have a choice. If you choose to eat large quantities of food and end up overweight, then you only have yourself to blame.

To say that mcdonalds is somehow hypnotising you into buying their food is just a lie. And you can't compare the aroma of food to cigarette smoke. cigarette smoke is proven to be harmful.

Also if you really do have such weak willpower that the smell alone forces you to buy their food, then just stay away from fast food restaurants, its that simple ;p

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Sorry I was away for a while - two juicy sirloins resting on the plate right now, serious.
No smoke to speak off
Back after I enjoy

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

The simple fact is I would eat it everyday, for every meal if my financial situation allowed, Heh. I haven't been able to gain a single pound past 140 for the past 7 years so weight is of no concern (& obliviously health).

Actually there is no link between internal health and slimness. The skinniest person in the world can be full of artery clogging cholesterol... so no.. not so obvious at all.

IRM

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Im not sure if you mentioned this (I am in a rush and didnt read your entire post im afraid) I just wanted to mention that I read the book fast food natin a couple years back and it mentioned that companies like McDonalds engineer the smell of their food seperately in a lab to the other parts of the business which create the recipe. I found that to be pretty crazy. I think they spray the food which chemicals which include preservatives and this smell, if you take a McyDees burger and just leave it out for even months or a year it will not decompose!!! Not even the microbes want it!

I must confess I do enjoy a burger king and kfc from time to time tho despite detesting battery farming and other processes, after all I cant be 100% non - sheeple im only human! I do like Mdydees btw to but it often makes me sick when ever I eat it now since I stopped eating regularly.

I highly recommend watching super size me, where a guy eats mcdonalds 3 times a daye for a month n has his health checked. It aint pretty!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I will forgive you for the "she got fat from the air?" as i was able to keep from spitting my coffee all over my keyboard.
That would have been a terrible waste of coffee.
The flight in the ROFLCOPTER was awesome.
Now I wouldn't call it hypnosis but a strong suggestion.
Your nose is emotonally tied to your tummy, mmmmmmcomfort food.

It is a good thing i prefer the smell of tobacco smoke to McDeath.

Now to stay away from fast food could be tough as there is a McDeath or Subway probably within a mile of where you are at any given time
Bottom line is they will be there, just discipline yourself and say I will not eat the deathburger.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

2 words
Jim Fixx!!
Ran every day of his life ran marathons heart like a horse healthy as all get out.
Then just dropped dead.
Hearrt attack i think, can't recall.
Either way all of that work, for what?

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious

Im not sure if you mentioned this (I am in a rush and didnt read your entire post im afraid) I just wanted to mention that I read the book fast food natin a couple years back and it mentioned that companies like McDonalds engineer the smell of their food seperately in a lab to the other parts of the business which create the recipe. I found that to be pretty crazy. I think they spray the food which chemicals which include preservatives and this smell, if you take a McyDees burger and just leave it out for even months or a year it will not decompose!!! Not even the microbes want it!

I must confess I do enjoy a burger king and kfc from time to time tho despite detesting battery farming and other processes, after all I cant be 100% non - sheeple im only human! I do like Mdydees btw to but it often makes me sick when ever I eat it now since I stopped eating regularly.

I highly recommend watching super size me, where a guy eats mcdonalds 3 times a daye for a month n has his health checked. It aint pretty!

Okay so back on track the fast food people don't want to reduce smells at all - can we say you are one for the deliberate side of the fence?
I suppose I should clear up my view -- Deliberate and I didn't know about your above by the way

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mushrooms
Have you never cooked food in your own home? All food lets off an aroma when its heated up ;p

Yes but you take that food home, leave it in the fridge, then heat it up - slammo! no funky addicting stench!

I know they float cinnamon scent in bakeries in the morning, I mean fresh bread, so fresh... hmmm mouth watering, go well with my coffee that bagel...

and it's just a spray on appetite!

They definitely entice people in with scents... without a doubt.

chicken never smells that god damned good in my house, bloody kfc...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join